SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Tazewell
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:43 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Tazewell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:16 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:I've just got an offer. International candidate (167 + "Superior" evaluation) - so didn't get a phone call. Simply got a mail inviting me for SMU Admitted Students lunch.

Then I logged into the status checker which said "Admitted" and Dean's schol of 72K.

Applied 1/12.

Will I get another mail with access to admitted students portal or something?

Also, does anyone know where is the scholarship reconsideration form which someone alluded to earlier? I have a 105k schol from GWU and was wondering if I can negotiate on that basis.

Thanks and all the best to everyone!!


I do not know about the admitted students portal, but in past threads, it seems like it is difficult to get them to match scholarships.
Anecdotally, I was speaking with the Dean of Admissions candidly along with a friend who is a 2L and knows her well, and she told me that they will consider renegotiations but will not "play the game of matching other offers". So take that for what it's worth, but regardless, it won't hurt to try.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 pm

Tazewell wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:I've just got an offer. International candidate (167 + "Superior" evaluation) - so didn't get a phone call. Simply got a mail inviting me for SMU Admitted Students lunch.

Then I logged into the status checker which said "Admitted" and Dean's schol of 72K.

Applied 1/12.

Will I get another mail with access to admitted students portal or something?

Also, does anyone know where is the scholarship reconsideration form which someone alluded to earlier? I have a 105k schol from GWU and was wondering if I can negotiate on that basis.

Thanks and all the best to everyone!!


I do not know about the admitted students portal, but in past threads, it seems like it is difficult to get them to match scholarships.
Anecdotally, I was speaking with the Dean of Admissions candidly along with a friend who is a 2L and knows her well, and she told me that they will consider renegotiations but will not "play the game of matching other offers". So take that for what it's worth, but regardless, it won't hurt to try.


Got it mate! Thanks a lot.

User avatar
cutieluby
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cutieluby » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37 am

2L here, feel free to ask me any questions. I love SMU, and I am glad I made the choice to come here! Regarding the scholarship negotiations, I know that our year very few people who sent in a reconsideration form had their amount increase. However, this may have changed in the past few years.

This might be a little early in the process, but one piece of advice I like to give is: you will hear a ton of "tips" and "advice" from about 50 different profs, students, faculty, and on this page; however, you have to try things to decide what is right for you...and that may even be something that other classmates are not doing. Dont be afraid to go a little bit against the various advice that you have been given. For me, creating every outline from scratch by myself did not work, so I found the profs old outlines that I would edit/add to starting from the very beginning of the semester. I also recommend ignoring the professors when they say not to use supplements--coming from a person who made this mistake--they are suppppppper helpful and our property prof copied and pasted questions straight from a supplement on WestLaw.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:57 am

cutieluby wrote:2L here, feel free to ask me any questions. I love SMU, and I am glad I made the choice to come here! Regarding the scholarship negotiations, I know that our year very few people who sent in a reconsideration form had their amount increase. However, this may have changed in the past few years.



Thanks a ton!

Lawser24
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Lawser24 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:12 pm

cutieluby wrote:so I found the profs old outlines that I would edit/add to starting from the very beginning of the semester.


where did you find the professors old outlines? From past students?

User avatar
cutieluby
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cutieluby » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:48 pm

1. I found outlines mostly from 2Ls and 3Ls because a lot of the time (at least at SMU) the same 1L professors tend teach the same class each year. I thought it was weird asking older students even if I didnt know them that well, but we dont care because we really want to help you. Dont be worried asking older students for their outlines!! (worst thing that can happen is they say no)
2. However, in some classes where I was not able to find an outline from someone older that was good, my group of friends split the cost and bought some really good ones off Outline Depot. (typically waiting 1-3 weeks to see which outline matched up the best with the material) That saved me in a few classes where the professor was new, but they had taught elsewhere the same exact course
3. Scour the internet. I usually spend time just typing into Google the professors name, the textbook, the class, etc, and sometimes you can find some that way


here is the SMU Outline Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... FNXQ3VER1U
...most of these are outdated and unfortunately no one updates it anymore, but I definitely used outlines, short sheets, and charts off here that were helpful because professors dont typically change the way they teach

Lawser24
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:44 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Lawser24 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:10 pm

cutieluby wrote:1. I found outlines mostly from 2Ls and 3Ls because a lot of the time (at least at SMU) the same 1L professors tend teach the same class each year. I thought it was weird asking older students even if I didnt know them that well, but we dont care because we really want to help you. Dont be worried asking older students for their outlines!! (worst thing that can happen is they say no)
2. However, in some classes where I was not able to find an outline from someone older that was good, my group of friends split the cost and bought some really good ones off Outline Depot. (typically waiting 1-3 weeks to see which outline matched up the best with the material) That saved me in a few classes where the professor was new, but they had taught elsewhere the same exact course
3. Scour the internet. I usually spend time just typing into Google the professors name, the textbook, the class, etc, and sometimes you can find some that way


here is the SMU Outline Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... FNXQ3VER1U
...most of these are outdated and unfortunately no one updates it anymore, but I definitely used outlines, short sheets, and charts off here that were helpful because professors dont typically change the way they teach


Well dang, that answered my question haha, thanks @cutieluby!

User avatar
cutieluby
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cutieluby » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:37 pm

hahahaha I have lots of experience getting outlines after the failed experiment 1L fall semester trying to create my own outlines. I also search at the beginning of the semester so I feel like I am not wasting precious study time. However, everyone is different, and I have a lot friends that create all their own outlines and do not look at others until the very end.

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby PatriotP74 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:07 am

cutieluby wrote:1. I found outlines mostly from 2Ls and 3Ls because a lot of the time (at least at SMU) the same 1L professors tend teach the same class each year. I thought it was weird asking older students even if I didnt know them that well, but we dont care because we really want to help you. Dont be worried asking older students for their outlines!! (worst thing that can happen is they say no)
2. However, in some classes where I was not able to find an outline from someone older that was good, my group of friends split the cost and bought some really good ones off Outline Depot. (typically waiting 1-3 weeks to see which outline matched up the best with the material) That saved me in a few classes where the professor was new, but they had taught elsewhere the same exact course
3. Scour the internet. I usually spend time just typing into Google the professors name, the textbook, the class, etc, and sometimes you can find some that way


here is the SMU Outline Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... FNXQ3VER1U
...most of these are outdated and unfortunately no one updates it anymore, but I definitely used outlines, short sheets, and charts off here that were helpful because professors dont typically change the way they teach


They gave us access to an outline bank this year (1L here) it was pretty helpful as well. Organized by professor and year, part of the ASP mentoring program. It was definitely helpful, especially for someone who didn't know anything about how to begin making an outline!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 12000
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby kalvano » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:47 am


User avatar
cutieluby
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cutieluby » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:55 am

PatriotP74 wrote:They gave us access to an outline bank this year (1L here) it was pretty helpful as well. Organized by professor and year, part of the ASP mentoring program. It was definitely helpful, especially for someone who didn't know anything about how to begin making an outline!


Thats really helpful, and Im sure you got some really good ones from people at the top of the class. Interesting to see how many people all used the same outlines and who did better in the classes. That probably explains why only one 1L asked me for outlines last semester.


Also, kalvano... you are the best!! Out of all of those classes, I am only in TX Pre-Trial Procedure, but I had not been able to find any good freebees around anywhere.

User avatar
Tazewell
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:43 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Tazewell » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Does anyone know anything about the Sumners scholarship other than what's stated on their website? Like how many they interview, what they're looking for in applicants, etc.?

There's not really anything in past threads either so that's why I'm asking.

User avatar
thisiswater
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby thisiswater » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:40 am

cutieluby-

who's teaching it this semester? i have a few tx pre-trial outlines from the law review bank

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Roy McAvoy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:24 am

Tazewell wrote:Does anyone know anything about the Sumners scholarship other than what's stated on their website? Like how many they interview, what they're looking for in applicants, etc.?

There's not really anything in past threads either so that's why I'm asking.


For my class I believe they interviewed around 15-20. Interviewees ranged from K-JD to people in their mid-30's with really interesting backgrounds. They're obviously looking for grades, LSAT, etc. but they're also really big on public service. I think that a lot of the people they brought in had backgrounds interning/working on capitol hill, student government, etc. I believe they interviewed plenty of people without this experience too, so it's not essential, but I'm sure that it helps.

woopig2017
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:06 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby woopig2017 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:39 am

SMU is my top choice right now, however I have a few questions that I was hoping some of the people who are going to or have gone there could answer:

1) In the context of your ability to reach your career goals, are you happy that you chose SMU?
2) If you were to be in the top 1/3 of your class, how confident would you be about getting a job making $70k+?
3) Did you enjoy your time as a student?
4) Was attending school here worth it? (do you feel like it was the right decision for you all things considered?)

I really really want to go to law school here, and I currently have the $30k/year scholarship to attend. However, I've also received some other offers (from Baylor, Alabama) that make me question whether I want to take out the necessary loans. My dream is to work in Dallas, preferably in a larger law firm for some time and to eventually move in house. Any answers/advice would be greatly appreciated!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 12000
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:04 am

woopig2017 wrote:However, I've also received some other offers (from Baylor, Alabama) that make me question whether I want to take out the necessary loans. My dream is to work in Dallas, preferably in a larger law firm for some time and to eventually move in house.


I can answer other questions later, but given the marked text, your best choices are: most of the top 14 ---- UT ----- SMU ----- others.

Alabama for your goals would not be a good choice. Baylor is rarely a good choice.

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Roy McAvoy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:12 am

woopig2017 wrote:SMU is my top choice right now, however I have a few questions that I was hoping some of the people who are going to or have gone there could answer:

1) In the context of your ability to reach your career goals, are you happy that you chose SMU?
2) If you were to be in the top 1/3 of your class, how confident would you be about getting a job making $70k+?
3) Did you enjoy your time as a student?
4) Was attending school here worth it? (do you feel like it was the right decision for you all things considered?)

I really really want to go to law school here, and I currently have the $30k/year scholarship to attend. However, I've also received some other offers (from Baylor, Alabama) that make me question whether I want to take out the necessary loans. My dream is to work in Dallas, preferably in a larger law firm for some time and to eventually move in house. Any answers/advice would be greatly appreciated!


With $30k/year, I would go to SMU with those goals unless UT is an option. Unless you are dead set on litigation (and it sounds as though you're not, if you want to go in house), do not go to Baylor. You could probably get back to Dallas from Bama if you have ties, but I don't know enough about Bama or your situation to really know. You'll need to be in the top 10-15% to get big law at SMU though - don't come in with unrealistic expectations.

1. It'll get me where I want to be, so in that sense it was worth it. I wanted to be in Dallas, and wasn't willing to wait a year or two to get my LSAT to the 170's, so this was a good choice for me.
2. I'm just outside the top 1/3 and haven't been asked about grades. I've not gotten interview opportunities at OCI because I didn't kill it 1L, but I don't think I would've enjoyed big law anyway. Again, I'm going to do IP, so YMMV. Outside of the top 10-15%, it's all about networking.
3. I enjoyed it as much as I would have any other school. The people are smart and friendly, with (I think, based on what I've read here) a relatively low proportion of gunners. I've enjoyed a lot of my professors, with a couple exceptions.
4. Overall, yeah. A big advantage is that there are a ton of small and medium sized firms/courts/government positions/corporations in Dallas that will take clerks during the school year, which lets you pad your resume and make some extra cash if that's your thing. I know a lot of people who have done this and would not have had the opportunity to do so at other schools. Definitely not at Baylor or Bama. Maybe UT (not sure) and UH would probably have a similar advantage.

woopig2017
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:06 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby woopig2017 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:43 am

kalvano wrote:
woopig2017 wrote:However, I've also received some other offers (from Baylor, Alabama) that make me question whether I want to take out the necessary loans. My dream is to work in Dallas, preferably in a larger law firm for some time and to eventually move in house.


I can answer other questions later, but given the marked text, your best choices are: most of the top 14 ---- UT ----- SMU ----- others.

Alabama for your goals would not be a good choice. Baylor is rarely a good choice.


Thank you so much for your reply! I would really like to hear your answers for the questions, but I appreciate your perspective on my situation. Right now, I haven't heard back from UT and honestly I'm not that hopeful I will at this point (at least with anything feasible scholarship wise). I've also been accepted to Vanderbilt, but it's far away from Dallas and I'm not actually from Texas so I was under the impression that demonstrating my ties would be more important than going to a higher ranked school. As far as my career goals go I stick with what I said above, but I would honestly be OK with any job as long as I can pay off the loans. It's more important to me to end up in Dallas than what I end up doing. Overall, I guess I'm just getting nervous about committing to SMU for the cost and if something happens getting stuck with a load of school loans.

woopig2017
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:06 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby woopig2017 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:49 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
woopig2017 wrote:SMU is my top choice right now, however I have a few questions that I was hoping some of the people who are going to or have gone there could answer:

1) In the context of your ability to reach your career goals, are you happy that you chose SMU?
2) If you were to be in the top 1/3 of your class, how confident would you be about getting a job making $70k+?
3) Did you enjoy your time as a student?
4) Was attending school here worth it? (do you feel like it was the right decision for you all things considered?)

I really really want to go to law school here, and I currently have the $30k/year scholarship to attend. However, I've also received some other offers (from Baylor, Alabama) that make me question whether I want to take out the necessary loans. My dream is to work in Dallas, preferably in a larger law firm for some time and to eventually move in house. Any answers/advice would be greatly appreciated!


With $30k/year, I would go to SMU with those goals unless UT is an option. Unless you are dead set on litigation (and it sounds as though you're not, if you want to go in house), do not go to Baylor. You could probably get back to Dallas from Bama if you have ties, but I don't know enough about Bama or your situation to really know. You'll need to be in the top 10-15% to get big law at SMU though - don't come in with unrealistic expectations.

1. It'll get me where I want to be, so in that sense it was worth it. I wanted to be in Dallas, and wasn't willing to wait a year or two to get my LSAT to the 170's, so this was a good choice for me.
2. I'm just outside the top 1/3 and haven't been asked about grades. I've not gotten interview opportunities at OCI because I didn't kill it 1L, but I don't think I would've enjoyed big law anyway. Again, I'm going to do IP, so YMMV. Outside of the top 10-15%, it's all about networking.
3. I enjoyed it as much as I would have any other school. The people are smart and friendly, with (I think, based on what I've read here) a relatively low proportion of gunners. I've enjoyed a lot of my professors, with a couple exceptions.
4. Overall, yeah. A big advantage is that there are a ton of small and medium sized firms/courts/government positions/corporations in Dallas that will take clerks during the school year, which lets you pad your resume and make some extra cash if that's your thing. I know a lot of people who have done this and would not have had the opportunity to do so at other schools. Definitely not at Baylor or Bama. Maybe UT (not sure) and UH would probably have a similar advantage.


Thank you for taking the time to answer everything, that's a big help to see the perspective of a current student. UT is currently not an option as I posted above. As a follow up, just in general would you say that it seems like most people you know who are above the median will be able to get a get joob? (pay off their loans, afford Dallas COL)

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Roy McAvoy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:59 pm

woopig2017 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
woopig2017 wrote:SMU is my top choice right now, however I have a few questions that I was hoping some of the people who are going to or have gone there could answer:

1) In the context of your ability to reach your career goals, are you happy that you chose SMU?
2) If you were to be in the top 1/3 of your class, how confident would you be about getting a job making $70k+?
3) Did you enjoy your time as a student?
4) Was attending school here worth it? (do you feel like it was the right decision for you all things considered?)

I really really want to go to law school here, and I currently have the $30k/year scholarship to attend. However, I've also received some other offers (from Baylor, Alabama) that make me question whether I want to take out the necessary loans. My dream is to work in Dallas, preferably in a larger law firm for some time and to eventually move in house. Any answers/advice would be greatly appreciated!


With $30k/year, I would go to SMU with those goals unless UT is an option. Unless you are dead set on litigation (and it sounds as though you're not, if you want to go in house), do not go to Baylor. You could probably get back to Dallas from Bama if you have ties, but I don't know enough about Bama or your situation to really know. You'll need to be in the top 10-15% to get big law at SMU though - don't come in with unrealistic expectations.

1. It'll get me where I want to be, so in that sense it was worth it. I wanted to be in Dallas, and wasn't willing to wait a year or two to get my LSAT to the 170's, so this was a good choice for me.
2. I'm just outside the top 1/3 and haven't been asked about grades. I've not gotten interview opportunities at OCI because I didn't kill it 1L, but I don't think I would've enjoyed big law anyway. Again, I'm going to do IP, so YMMV. Outside of the top 10-15%, it's all about networking.
3. I enjoyed it as much as I would have any other school. The people are smart and friendly, with (I think, based on what I've read here) a relatively low proportion of gunners. I've enjoyed a lot of my professors, with a couple exceptions.
4. Overall, yeah. A big advantage is that there are a ton of small and medium sized firms/courts/government positions/corporations in Dallas that will take clerks during the school year, which lets you pad your resume and make some extra cash if that's your thing. I know a lot of people who have done this and would not have had the opportunity to do so at other schools. Definitely not at Baylor or Bama. Maybe UT (not sure) and UH would probably have a similar advantage.


Thank you for taking the time to answer everything, that's a big help to see the perspective of a current student. UT is currently not an option as I posted above. As a follow up, just in general would you say that it seems like most people you know who are above the median will be able to get a get joob? (pay off their loans, afford Dallas COL)



Yeah, paying off loans doesn't seem like a huge concern for most people. Just about everyone above median either will get a job paying well enough to do so or they aren't footing the bill anyway. I can't speak to those below median either way.

Edit: I also just saw you say you're not from Texas. Don't go to Alabama.

RC_Cola
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:20 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RC_Cola » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:38 pm

does SMU offer travel stipends for visits?

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby PatriotP74 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:34 pm

woopig2017 wrote:SMU is my top choice right now, however I have a few questions that I was hoping some of the people who are going to or have gone there could answer:

1) In the context of your ability to reach your career goals, are you happy that you chose SMU?
2) If you were to be in the top 1/3 of your class, how confident would you be about getting a job making $70k+?
3) Did you enjoy your time as a student?
4) Was attending school here worth it? (do you feel like it was the right decision for you all things considered?)

I really really want to go to law school here, and I currently have the $30k/year scholarship to attend. However, I've also received some other offers (from Baylor, Alabama) that make me question whether I want to take out the necessary loans. My dream is to work in Dallas, preferably in a larger law firm for some time and to eventually move in house. Any answers/advice would be greatly appreciated!


1L here

1. Odds are your career goals will change (unless you have some previous connection) while in law school. Mine certainly have, but either way I am happy I chose SMU.

2. Extremely, I would even say it would have to be personal choice if you didn't make that from the top 1/3.

3. Only a 1L but so far yes I've enjoyed my time here, SMU is a very friendly law school, haven't ran across anyone who wasn't willing to help.

4. There will always be one other offer that will haunt me, but it would have required a big move, and not working in Dallas right out of school. So all things considered yes.

If you want to go Biglaw like others have said T14-UT-SMU for Dallas. SMU certainly gives you a ton of opportunities to meet the right people and make it happen. But you also will need the grades, and let me say no matter what your LSAT or UG GPA grades are not certain. You would certainly need to be top 1/3 for a decent shot at Biglaw, I have however heard of a few alums who met the right people/had the right resumes that got it around 50%. If your dream is to work in Dallas/less debt SMU with 30k is a great option. If you want to work Biglaw, T14+UT will always be a better option.

Alabama and Baylor should not be considered. Although out of the two Alabama with ties to Dallas would probably be better than Baylor but thats just my .02

woopig2017
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:06 am

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby woopig2017 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:52 am

PatriotP74 wrote:
woopig2017 wrote:SMU is my top choice right now, however I have a few questions that I was hoping some of the people who are going to or have gone there could answer:

1) In the context of your ability to reach your career goals, are you happy that you chose SMU?
2) If you were to be in the top 1/3 of your class, how confident would you be about getting a job making $70k+?
3) Did you enjoy your time as a student?
4) Was attending school here worth it? (do you feel like it was the right decision for you all things considered?)

I really really want to go to law school here, and I currently have the $30k/year scholarship to attend. However, I've also received some other offers (from Baylor, Alabama) that make me question whether I want to take out the necessary loans. My dream is to work in Dallas, preferably in a larger law firm for some time and to eventually move in house. Any answers/advice would be greatly appreciated!


1L here

1. Odds are your career goals will change (unless you have some previous connection) while in law school. Mine certainly have, but either way I am happy I chose SMU.

2. Extremely, I would even say it would have to be personal choice if you didn't make that from the top 1/3.

3. Only a 1L but so far yes I've enjoyed my time here, SMU is a very friendly law school, haven't ran across anyone who wasn't willing to help.

4. There will always be one other offer that will haunt me, but it would have required a big move, and not working in Dallas right out of school. So all things considered yes.

If you want to go Biglaw like others have said T14-UT-SMU for Dallas. SMU certainly gives you a ton of opportunities to meet the right people and make it happen. But you also will need the grades, and let me say no matter what your LSAT or UG GPA grades are not certain. You would certainly need to be top 1/3 for a decent shot at Biglaw, I have however heard of a few alums who met the right people/had the right resumes that got it around 50%. If your dream is to work in Dallas/less debt SMU with 30k is a great option. If you want to work Biglaw, T14+UT will always be a better option.

Alabama and Baylor should not be considered. Although out of the two Alabama with ties to Dallas would probably be better than Baylor but thats just my .02


Thanks for your reply, all of these responses are really helping me get a better sense of where I stand! I really appreciate the help!

User avatar
Babe-Loblaw
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:11 pm

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Babe-Loblaw » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:36 pm

Do y'all think it's too late in the cycle to ask SMU for a fee waiver? I found out quite recently that I need to stay in Texas for school, and I'm kind of scrambling to get in all of the local applications that I didn't earlier in the cycle.

Sean_33
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Re: SMU Dedman c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Sean_33 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:02 pm

Babe-Loblaw wrote:Do y'all think it's too late in the cycle to ask SMU for a fee waiver? I found out quite recently that I need to stay in Texas for school, and I'm kind of scrambling to get in all of the local applications that I didn't earlier in the cycle.

It certainly never hurts to ask.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GotLost, nyc2dc, Tavorak and 14 guests