Boston College c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dodocogon

Silver

Re: Boston College c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dodocogon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Earlskies wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
Earlskies wrote:
jstans wrote:Just heard back from the financial aid office and they reiterated that their initial offer is their best offer.

Same

Meaning they wont be reconsidering scholarship amounts/"negotiating"?

Correct

This isn't a fun policy. We'll see if they're flexible at all.

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
Earlskies wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
Earlskies wrote:
jstans wrote:Just heard back from the financial aid office and they reiterated that their initial offer is their best offer.

Same

Meaning they wont be reconsidering scholarship amounts/"negotiating"?

Correct

This isn't a fun policy. We'll see if they're flexible at all.

I've been trying, but no luck yet. I will say that they are incredibly helpful with financial aid questions and have done really well at allaying my fears about cost of attendance.

em15

Bronze

Postby em15 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:08 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Will there be a second wave of scholarship money?

I hope so because I haven't even got a decision yet..

VinnyGambini Jr. wrote:
em15 wrote:
aryi3025 wrote:anyone who went ur around 1/25 hear anything yet?

I haven't :(

me neither

me three.

Anyone with LSAT>/=75% and GPA <25% get scholly info, and if so, do you mind sharing stats and amount?

This week better be the week!!

JGPGH

New

Postby JGPGH » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:31 pm

After going under review, has anyone had a quicker turnaround than 2 weeks?

em15

Bronze

Postby em15 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:35 pm

JGPGH wrote:After going under review, has anyone had a quicker turnaround than 2 weeks?

I'll be at 4 weeks tomorrow :cry:

JGPGH

New

Postby JGPGH » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 pm

em15 wrote:
JGPGH wrote:After going under review, has anyone had a quicker turnaround than 2 weeks?

Ahhh that sucks, you would think that they would be able to make a decision within a week after going under review. Keep hanging in there!

em15

Bronze

Postby em15 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:52 pm

JGPGH wrote:
em15 wrote:

Ahhh that sucks, you would think that they would be able to make a decision within a week after going under review. Keep hanging in there!

It seems like they usually do 2 weeks on Thursdays, which for me ended up being a snow day, and then last week they started giving out scholarships. I'm assuming now that scholarships have been sent out, their decisions will be faster again? I could be completely wrong.
Last edited by em15 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aryi3025

Bronze

Postby aryi3025 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:58 pm

em15 wrote:
JGPGH wrote:
em15 wrote:

It seems like the usually do 2 weeks on Thursdays, which for me ended up being a snow day, and then last week they started giving out scholarships. I'm assuming now that scholarships have been sent out, their decisions will be faster again? I could be completely wrong.

same here. i'm banking on
this thursday. i'm even visiting boston rn

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:21 pm

Got my scholarship notification this afternoon!

lawof11

New

Postby lawof11 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:32 pm

My in-review time was 5 days, between the in-review email and acceptance email. But, it's apples and oranges because that was back in November. I know that's probably painful to hear, but hope the information helps.

edit: painful for anyone that's been IR for 4 weeks, that is. But I feel you, I've been complete at BU since 10/26. Salty.

JGPGH

New

Postby JGPGH » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 pm

lawof11 wrote:

My in-review time was 5 days, between the in-review email and acceptance email. But, it's apples and oranges because that was back in November. I know that's probably painful to hear, but hope the information helps.

edit: painful for anyone that's been IR for 4 weeks, that is. But I feel you, I've been complete at BU since 10/26. Salty.

Tomorrow will be 5 days for me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed lol

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Postby circle.the.wagons » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:31 pm

JGPGH wrote:
lawof11 wrote:

Tomorrow will be 5 days for me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed lol

strong optimism lol

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Ten days for me. 7 Feb to 17 Feb. Good luck to you !!

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:18 pm

I know there are some people in this thread who currently live in/are more familiar than me about Boston. Can you speak more about cost of living? Is BC's $18k/year accurate?

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Stylnator wrote:I know there are some people in this thread who currently live in/are more familiar than me about Boston. Can you speak more about cost of living? Is BC's $18k/year accurate?

Boston native here, tl;dr no that is grossly underestimating what you'll pay to live here- budget 12k for rent alone, another 2k for utilities. Plus 1 month broker fee/1 month security deposit (can sometimes negotiate out of 1 but not both). Getting unlimited local T pass will be around 1k a year if that's your only source of transportation- i.e. no Uber, no taxi, no rental cars. So we're at 15k already just for (basic) housing and (basic) transportation. I hope you like Ramen.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:46 pm

theboringest wrote:
Stylnator wrote:I know there are some people in this thread who currently live in/are more familiar than me about Boston. Can you speak more about cost of living? Is BC's $18k/year accurate?

Boston native here, tl;dr no that is grossly underestimating what you'll pay to live here- budget 12k for rent alone, another 2k for utilities. Plus 1 month broker fee/1 month security deposit (can sometimes negotiate out of 1 but not both). Getting unlimited local T pass will be around 1k a year if that's your only source of transportation- i.e. no Uber, no taxi, no rental cars. So we're at 15k already just for (basic) housing and (basic) transportation. I hope you like Ramen.

Is a broker really necessary? All of my friends in grad school in Boston never went through one. Also, how feasible is it to have your own car? Is parking just like insane? I'd like mine to be able to go home on my own time table.

Username93

New

Postby Username93 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:47 pm

theboringest wrote:

Lots of places do the 8- or 9-month academic year as the COL budget; not sure if that's BC's trick or not but yeah, $18k for a year is hardcore optimistic.

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:39 pm

Stylnator wrote:
theboringest wrote:

Is a broker really necessary? All of my friends in grad school in Boston never went through one. Also, how feasible is it to have your own car? Is parking just like insane? I'd like mine to be able to go home on my own time table.

No not necessary. I'd say 50/50 if you'll have to use one. It's more common in student areas like around BC.

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Gonna throw my financial aid negotiation experience in, presented BC with offers of equal or lesser COA from T14s and was very nicely told they don't reconsider. Sorry folks but looks like BC won't be increasing anyone's aid. I don't quite understand the policy, but hey their money I guess.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:54 pm

theboringest wrote:Gonna throw my financial aid negotiation experience in, presented BC with offers of equal or lesser COA from T14s and was very nicely told they don't reconsider. Sorry folks but looks like BC won't be increasing anyone's aid. I don't quite understand the policy, but hey their money I guess.

Do you think trying closer to deposit deadline might move them?

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:11 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:
theboringest wrote:Gonna throw my financial aid negotiation experience in, presented BC with offers of equal or lesser COA from T14s and was very nicely told they don't reconsider. Sorry folks but looks like BC won't be increasing anyone's aid. I don't quite understand the policy, but hey their money I guess.

Maybe? Idk. Seems like they might be trying to hold firm to that position. Sort of a we don't negotiate with terrorists because it makes more terrorists idea, negotiate with one student and you open the floodgates. Closer to the deadline maybe they need your lsat or GPA for medians so maybe they do negotiate. Can't hurt to try.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:45 pm

theboringest wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:

Maybe? Idk. Seems like they might be trying to hold firm to that position. Sort of a we don't negotiate with terrorists because it makes more terrorists idea, negotiate with one student and you open the floodgates. Closer to the deadline maybe they need your lsat or GPA for medians so maybe they do negotiate. Can't hurt to try.

Sorry for stalking but I saw your LSN, you have some sick offers from T14s, why're you trying to negotiate with BC?

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:54 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:
theboringest wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:

Sorry for stalking but I saw your LSN, you have some sick offers from T14s, why're you trying to negotiate with BC?

I'm a Boston native/current resident who would love to stay here. I wouldn't even have to move from my current apartment haha. It's a great school so if the money was there I'd love to attend.

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Stylnator wrote:
theboringest wrote:

I've been looking around the internet for studios and 1 bedroom apartments and they don't seem awful (my s/o and I will be splitting rent) but I'm confused about parking. A lot of places only list parking on or off street..is there/what is the typical cost associated with parking? I would love to have my car.

inevitable510

New

Postby inevitable510 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:52 am

Stylnator wrote:
theboringest wrote:

I lived in Boston and never paid a broker fee - and I can attest many of my friends did not either. It just depends on what you get.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?