Boston College c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jstans

Bronze

Re: Boston College c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jstans » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:14 am

RParadela wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
RParadela wrote:
Yeah that's my issue with BC Law.. I don't want to be in Newton over in the heart of Boston

100% agree. I can't see myself living in a college-y suburb for the next three years. I've also heard rumors (hopefully untrue!) that the vibe at BC is a lot more "fratty" than at BU. Regardless... am several years out of undergrad and would much prefer an urban environment.

I don't mind the fratty aspect of it since I'm 21 and I certainly don't mind partying, but living in a suburb of a big city seems lame to me. I'd rather either be in the big city or in a college town like UVA or Duke.[/quote]

Coming from Arkansas, I'd be content living in the suburbs if the CoL is cheaper. Very badly want to be in a bigger city, but am already bracing for the shock of a substantially higher CoL than the $300 rent I pay right now. So if Newton lessens that blow, I'm all for it.

dclaw93

Bronze

Postby dclaw93 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:16 am

jstans wrote:
RParadela wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
RParadela wrote:
Yeah that's my issue with BC Law.. I don't want to be in Newton over in the heart of Boston

100% agree. I can't see myself living in a college-y suburb for the next three years. I've also heard rumors (hopefully untrue!) that the vibe at BC is a lot more "fratty" than at BU. Regardless... am several years out of undergrad and would much prefer an urban environment.

I don't mind the fratty aspect of it since I'm 21 and I certainly don't mind partying, but living in a suburb of a big city seems lame to me. I'd rather either be in the big city or in a college town like UVA or Duke.

Coming from Arkansas, I'd be content living in the suburbs if the CoL is cheaper. Very badly want to be in a bigger city, but am already bracing for the shock of a substantially higher CoL than the $300 rent I pay right now. So if Newton lessens that blow, I'm all for it.[/quote]

Fellow Arkansan 8) 8)

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:24 am

dclaw93 wrote:
jstans wrote:
RParadela wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
RParadela wrote:

I don't mind the fratty aspect of it since I'm 21 and I certainly don't mind partying, but living in a suburb of a big city seems lame to me. I'd rather either be in the big city or in a college town like UVA or Duke.

Coming from Arkansas, I'd be content living in the suburbs if the CoL is cheaper. Very badly want to be in a bigger city, but am already bracing for the shock of a substantially higher CoL than the $300 rent I pay right now. So if Newton lessens that blow, I'm all for it.

Fellow Arkansan 8) 8)[/quote]

Honestly did not expect to see another Arkansan here, woo pig

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:30 am

dclaw93 wrote:
jstans wrote:
RParadela wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
RParadela wrote:

Fellow Arkansan 8) 8)[/quote]
Bostonian here: it's really not any cheaper :(

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:47 am

From what I've read most students don't even live in Newton. They live a bit between Newton and Boston proper. Cleveland circle if I remember correctly. Right near a couple green line stops into the city.

I'm 3 yrs out of UG and have done the college campus for UG and have been in Chicago since then. Don't think the location for either BC/BU will make or break for me.
Last edited by tuesdayninja on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

jstans

Bronze

Postby jstans » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:48 am

tuesdayninja wrote:From what I've read most students don't even live in Newton. They live a bit between Newton and Boston proper. Cleveland circle if I remember correctly. Right near a couple green line stops into the city.

I've seen the same. I looked at apartments.com a while back and the prices didn't seem as terrible as I thought they would be, given you aren't living in a single apartment.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Newton won't be much cheaper, unfortunately. It's an expensive town to live in.

I will be commuting to school by train from central MA so having other things/public transit nearby is somewhat important to me. I wouldn't mind if the BC campus wasn't in the heart of the city (honestly, the main BC campus isn't really either) but BC law is just extremely removed from everything.

onecallthats all

Bronze

Postby onecallthats all » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Online status checker now says "decision made. please await an email"

HOW LONG MUST I WAIT??? :x :x

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:20 pm

my best friend stalks this website like it's nobody's business (he isn't going to law school) and he just messaged me saying "Why didn't you tell me ashrice had decided on BC!?"

I'm screaming

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:23 pm

onecallthats all wrote:Online status checker now says "decision made. please await an email"

Took me an hour and a half

onecallthats all

Bronze

Postby onecallthats all » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:34 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:Online status checker now says "decision made. please await an email"

The audacity!

onecallthats all

Bronze

Postby onecallthats all » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:32 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:

Over two hours later.... still waiting. I am losing my shit. Not to mention all productivity at work. SERENITY NOW

chichi1992

Bronze

Postby chichi1992 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:43 pm

TBH I will probably make my BU v. BC decision based on which acceptance letter has the nicer hand-written note.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:56 pm

onecallthats all wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:

Over two hours later.... still waiting. I am losing my shit. Not to mention all productivity at work. SERENITY NOW

[+] Spoiler

onecallthats all

Bronze

Postby onecallthats all » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:57 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:

[spoiler]

+++1 :D :D :D

onecallthats all

Bronze

Postby onecallthats all » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:30 pm

Waitlist.... :cry: :cry:

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:45 pm

chichi1992 wrote:TBH I will probably make my BU v. BC decision based on which acceptance letter has the nicer hand-written note.

TCR

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:47 pm

mm2368 wrote:my best friend stalks this website like it's nobody's business (he isn't going to law school) and he just messaged me saying "Why didn't you tell me ashrice had decided on BC!?"

I'm screaming

Haha...what??

Stalking friend: no decision made!

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:48 pm

onecallthats all wrote:Waitlist.... :cry: :cry:

Sorry dude!! It's cliche but it's true- waitlist is not a no. Send them a killer LOCI and show them you want it

MAqee9898

New

Postby MAqee9898 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:36 pm

Does anyone know where the best and most affordable place to live that is close to BC law? I want a studio or 1 bedroom and willing to pay up to 1400 a month but all I am finding are broken down places or apartments that are way to expensive. I don't mind having up to a 45 minute commute driving. I don't mind living in the suburbs, I prefer it to be honest especially since I'm coming from the Bronx and would love the change of atmosphere. Thank you!

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Just got a status update about PSS. They'll let us know the status the week of feb 20th and then interviews end of feb/early march. They say campus interviews but I really hope they can do Skype. I can't afford the time off work to fly out to MA.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Postby BostonOrBust » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:55 am

MAqee9898 wrote:Does anyone know where the best and most affordable place to live that is close to BC law? I want a studio or 1 bedroom and willing to pay up to 1400 a month but all I am finding are broken down places or apartments that are way to expensive. I don't mind having up to a 45 minute commute driving. I don't mind living in the suburbs, I prefer it to be honest especially since I'm coming from the Bronx and would love the change of atmosphere. Thank you!

Someone mentioned it a couple pages back, but Cleveland Circle (a neighborhood in Brighton) is the way to go, friend. My top recommendation as a former resident. Reasonable rents, nice places, and access to public transit. BC also sends shuttles out to Cleveland Circle because so many students live there. It's not downtown, but I wouldn't say it's suburb-y either. There are a few restaurants, bars, a CVS, a grocery store that's fairly walkable. You could certainly do worse.

Watertown is suburby and very affordable, but you get what you pay for. The last person I knew who lived there was literally run out of their apartment by bedbugs. So your mileage may vary.

Jamaica Plain (usually you'll hear people say JP) is another great neighborhood, very suburby with reasonable rent and near a beautiful pond and Arboretum. It's typically reasonable in price. It would be a significantly longer commute for you than Cleveland Circle and your public transit options would be limited.

Dorchester and Roxbury and both reasonably priced neighborhoods, but some people have safety concerns in different parts of them. I would not sign a lease without visiting a place there in person just to get the vibe. The upside is that there are such a diversity of people (young, old, irish, cape verdean, families, students) in these neighborhoods and that they're very public transit friendly!

Don't bother with South End, Seaport, Financial District, Mission Hill, Back Bay, etc. The rent is too damn high.

The other thing to know is that the overwhelming majority of leases renew in September in Boston (not sure if this is the same for other cities?) so what you're seeing now is slim pickings and not what will be available. In May or so landlords will have a better sense of whether or not their tenants are staying and you'll have much better options. Don't lock yourself into anything now, and don't panic.

cyclawps

Bronze

Postby cyclawps » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:04 am

BostonOrBust wrote:
MAqee9898 wrote:Does anyone know where the best and most affordable place to live that is close to BC law? I want a studio or 1 bedroom and willing to pay up to 1400 a month but all I am finding are broken down places or apartments that are way to expensive. I don't mind having up to a 45 minute commute driving. I don't mind living in the suburbs, I prefer it to be honest especially since I'm coming from the Bronx and would love the change of atmosphere. Thank you!

Someone mentioned it a couple pages back, but Cleveland Circle (a neighborhood in Brighton) is the way to go, friend. My top recommendation as a former resident. Reasonable rents, nice places, and access to public transit. BC also sends shuttles out to Cleveland Circle because so many students live there. It's not downtown, but I wouldn't say it's suburb-y either. There are a few restaurants, bars, a CVS, a grocery store that's fairly walkable. You could certainly do worse.

Watertown is suburby and very affordable, but you get what you pay for. The last person I knew who lived there was literally run out of their apartment by bedbugs. So your mileage may vary.

Jamaica Plain (usually you'll hear people say JP) is another great neighborhood, very suburby with reasonable rent and near a beautiful pond and Arboretum. It's typically reasonable in price. It would be a significantly longer commute for you than Cleveland Circle and your public transit options would be limited.

Dorchester and Roxbury and both reasonably priced neighborhoods, but some people have safety concerns in different parts of them. I would not sign a lease without visiting a place there in person just to get the vibe. The upside is that there are such a diversity of people (young, old, irish, cape verdean, families, students) in these neighborhoods and that they're very public transit friendly!

Don't bother with South End, Seaport, Financial District, Mission Hill, Back Bay, etc. The rent is too damn high.

The other thing to know is that the overwhelming majority of leases renew in September in Boston (not sure if this is the same for other cities?) so what you're seeing now is slim pickings and not what will be available. In May or so landlords will have a better sense of whether or not their tenants are staying and you'll have much better options. Don't lock yourself into anything now, and don't panic.

+1
Can confirm.

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Is it weird that I just got my acceptance letter? The letter was dated Dec 19 and postmarked Dec 21. I live on the West Coast, but that's a ridiculously long time...

inevitable510

New

Postby inevitable510 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 pm

Last edited by inevitable510 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?