Boston College c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RParadela

Silver

Re: Boston College c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RParadela » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Is there a BC c/o of 2020 Facebook page? Or an admitted students page?

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:05 pm

RParadela wrote:Is there a BC c/o of 2020 Facebook page? Or an admitted students page?

There was a Facebook page last year, I got the info a couple days after admittance.

hydrohect

New

Postby hydrohect » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 pm

RParadela wrote:Is there a BC c/o of 2020 Facebook page? Or an admitted students page?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bclaw2020/

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:05 pm

Also in! As a Boston native BC with money would honestly be pretty dope...anyone have any idea how generous they're being with the scholarship $$$?

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:18 pm

theboringest wrote:Also in! As a Boston native BC with money would honestly be pretty dope...anyone have any idea how generous they're being with the scholarship $$$?

They usually give out some pretty decent scholarships. If you go on LSN you can take a look at what they gave out last year. I'm assuming they'll send out initial offers to everyone in mid February

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

RParadela wrote:
theboringest wrote:Also in! As a Boston native BC with money would honestly be pretty dope...anyone have any idea how generous they're being with the scholarship $$$?

They usually give out some pretty decent scholarships. If you go on LSN you can take a look at what they gave out last year. I'm assuming they'll send out initial offers to everyone in mid February

Yeah just saw that it doesn't look like they've made any movement on that yet. Hopefully it's good news for everyone!

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Congrats!!

is everyone you talk to super surprised BU is higher ranked than BC? I'm from MA too and BC definitely has a better UG rep around here I think...no one believes me about the LS rankings haha

theboringest

Bronze

Postby theboringest » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:34 pm

ashrice13 wrote:

Congrats!!

is everyone you talk to super surprised BU is higher ranked than BC? I'm from MA too and BC definitely has a better UG rep around here I think...no one believes me about the LS rankings haha

100%. I mean their employment outcomes are basically equal (BC might even be a bit better in New England) which is all that matters, but yeah I usually get some surprised reactions when I mention that BU is ranked above BC for law school. It's definitely the UG prestige thing. After Harvard BC is king in Boston. Especially among the older generations. Younger people tend to have BC and BU on the same level.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:38 pm

theboringest wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Congrats!!

100%. I mean their employment outcomes are basically equal (BC might even be a bit better in New England) which is all that matters, but yeah I usually get some surprised reactions when I mention that BU is ranked above BC for law school. It's definitely the UG prestige thing. After Harvard BC is king in Boston. Especially among the older generations. Younger people tend to have BC and BU on the same level.

If employment numbers are relatively the same why the big differential in rank?

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:41 pm

Stylnator wrote:
theboringest wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Congrats!!

Part of it is that BU has higher medians and places better outside of New England. I want to say BU has better big law numbers but I'm not entirely sure if that's true. I'm not gunning for BL so I haven't looked into it too much

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:52 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
theboringest wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Congrats!!

Part of it is that BU has higher medians and places better outside of New England. I want to say BU has better big law numbers but I'm not entirely sure if that's true. I'm not gunning for BL so I haven't looked into it too much

BC actually has a pretty decent advantage in BigLaw placement. I believe BC is around 41% (one of the best of the non-T14s) while BU is around 35%

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:25 pm

RParadela wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
theboringest wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Congrats!!

BC actually has a pretty decent advantage in BigLaw placement. I believe BC is around 41% (one of the best of the non-T14s) while BU is around 35%

https://www.lstreports.com/compare/bc/bu/
38 to 34, pretty comparable. Big fan of BC because of its strong numbers despite its rank.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Postby BostonOrBust » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:27 pm

In today with GPA 3.56 and LSAT 164. Non URM, strong/unique softs. Current Boston res and drive past campus every day. Stoked, especially if they come through with $$.

Does anyone know about the PI scene at BC? I know someone who went and became a pretty bomb prosecutor, but I'm looking at victim rights. The major downside is I see is the lack of a devoted domestic violence clinic, which all of the other Boston schools have. Anyone else PI looking into BC?

VinnyGambini Jr.

New

Postby VinnyGambini Jr. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:30 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:In today with GPA 3.56 and LSAT 164. Non URM, strong/unique softs. Current Boston res and drive past campus every day. Stoked, especially if they come through with $$.

Does anyone know about the PI scene at BC? I know someone who went and became a pretty bomb prosecutor, but I'm looking at victim rights. The major downside is I see is the lack of a devoted domestic violence clinic, which all of the other Boston schools have. Anyone else PI looking into BC?

When did you apply if you dont mind me asking?

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Postby BostonOrBust » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:40 pm

VinnyGambini Jr. wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:In today with GPA 3.56 and LSAT 164. Non URM, strong/unique softs. Current Boston res and drive past campus every day. Stoked, especially if they come through with $$.

Applied 1/7, complete 1/9, UR 1/24, admitted 1/26.

I've noticed that with all of my applications I've gotten pretty quick response (both good and bad) even though my numbers are on the lackluster end for the schools I've applied to. I think I have an interesting background and a risky essay, so it tends to be a pretty easy decision if they want me or really don't. Idk if that's really a thing, just my interpretation.

VinnyGambini Jr.

New

Postby VinnyGambini Jr. » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
VinnyGambini Jr. wrote:

I've noticed that with all of my applications I've gotten pretty quick response (both good and bad) even though my numbers are on the lackluster end for the schools I've applied to. I think I have an interesting background and a risky essay, so it tends to be a pretty easy decision if they want me or really don't. Idk if that's really a thing, just my interpretation.

Thanks. I went UR 1/25 with similar stats so maybe tomorrow is my day!

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Postby BostonOrBust » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:44 pm

VinnyGambini Jr. wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
VinnyGambini Jr. wrote:

Fingers crossed for you!

em15

Bronze

Postby em15 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:22 pm

VinnyGambini Jr. wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
VinnyGambini Jr. wrote:

I applied 1/5, received and complete 1/6, and UR 1/25 with similar stats. I'd be so happy if we heard tomorrow!

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:52 pm

I doubt there'll be a wave tomorrow. Looks like BC is doing 1 a week

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:36 am

tuesdayninja wrote:
RParadela wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
theboringest wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:

Congrats!!

38 to 34, pretty comparable. Big fan of BC because of its strong numbers despite its rank.

I kind of thought the BL stats might be reversed as soon as I said that haha.

I am just so put off by the BC campus. I know that shouldn't matter and it wouldn't if I was deciding between BC and northeastern...but with BC and BU being close (barring BC giving me more money) I think it might end up being a deciding factor.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:48 am

ashrice13 wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:
RParadela wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
theboringest wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:Congrats!!

I am just so put off by the BC campus. I know that shouldn't matter and it wouldn't if I was deciding between BC and northeastern...but with BC and BU being close (barring BC giving me more money) I think it might end up being a deciding factor.

Yeah that's my issue with BC Law.. I don't want to be in Newton over in the heart of Boston

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:20 am

Does Newtown make COL cheaper because it isn't in the heart of Boston?

Also how out of the way is it to get downtown?

chichi1992

Bronze

Postby chichi1992 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:44 am

RParadela wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:
RParadela wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
theboringest wrote:
Congrats!!

Yeah that's my issue with BC Law.. I don't want to be in Newton over in the heart of Boston

100% agree. I can't see myself living in a college-y suburb for the next three years. I've also heard rumors (hopefully untrue!) that the vibe at BC is a lot more "fratty" than at BU. Regardless... am several years out of undergrad and would much prefer an urban environment.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:01 am

chichi1992 wrote:
RParadela wrote:

100% agree. I can't see myself living in a college-y suburb for the next three years. I've also heard rumors (hopefully untrue!) that the vibe at BC is a lot more "fratty" than at BU. Regardless... am several years out of undergrad and would much prefer an urban environment.[/quote]

I don't mind the fratty aspect of it since I'm 21 and I certainly don't mind partying, but living in a suburb of a big city seems lame to me. I'd rather either be in the big city or in a college town like UVA or Duke.

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:10 am

RParadela wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
RParadela wrote:

100% agree. I can't see myself living in a college-y suburb for the next three years. I've also heard rumors (hopefully untrue!) that the vibe at BC is a lot more "fratty" than at BU. Regardless... am several years out of undergrad and would much prefer an urban environment.

I don't mind the fratty aspect of it since I'm 21 and I certainly don't mind partying, but living in a suburb of a big city seems lame to me. I'd rather either be in the big city or in a college town like UVA or Duke.[/quote]

Boston resident here, I think if you went to either BC or BU you're going to end up living in the same areas (Allston/Brighton) So I think it's more a question of whether you're willing to go 10 minutes outside your area to get to BC Law's campus.

With respect to the fratty thing.. I don't hold too much stock in that, it's a professional school after all. I feel like wherever you go there will be a mix of more serious students and those who like partying. The term "fratty" just gives off a negative connotation

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?