Penn State Dickinson

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bmathers

Silver

Penn State Dickinson

Postby bmathers » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:52 pm

I was just offered a full tuition scholarship to Dickinson (no stips). Do we have any Dickinson students on here? I'm from PA, but have never been to Carlisle, and would be interested in picking someone's mind about the school, the learning/student culture/environment, and the area. The area, I imagine, seems pretty lousy but the COL should save money, right?

ml2srosie

New

Re: Penn State Dickinson

Postby ml2srosie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:26 pm

Congrats! When did you submit your app and what are your stats, btw?

I am not a Dickinson student, but I have several friends who are/went there. COL is great -- finding nice apartments/houses for under $500 per person (if you want to have roomies) is really easy. Carlisle is a suburb of Harrisburg and is like most other suburbs - bland, cookie cutter, etc. There are definitely chain stores, chain restaurants, and a small downtown, but it's certainly not a college town. As far as the school itself, my friends love it. They say students are collegial, friendly, down to earth, and professors are extraordinarily supportive (probably b/c of the small size of the school?). There are a few clinics and the medical-legal partnership with Hershey is the most popular.

The biggest issue with Dickinson is that it is a fiercely regional school. It has a very solid reputation throughout rural PA, Hburg area, Lancaster, York, etc. However, you have a very small chance of breaking into the Philly and Pitt markets. I know Dickinson alumni are very loyal to the school (most of my friends got hired/referred to their jobs by alums), but the alums are concentrated in the areas I named above. If that's OK with you, then I would say Dickinson is a decent option.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:30 am

ml2srosie wrote:Congrats! When did you submit your app and what are your stats, btw?

I am not a Dickinson student, but I have several friends who are/went there. COL is great -- finding nice apartments/houses for under $500 per person (if you want to have roomies) is really easy. Carlisle is a suburb of Harrisburg and is like most other suburbs - bland, cookie cutter, etc. There are definitely chain stores, chain restaurants, and a small downtown, but it's certainly not a college town. As far as the school itself, my friends love it. They say students are collegial, friendly, down to earth, and professors are extraordinarily supportive (probably b/c of the small size of the school?). There are a few clinics and the medical-legal partnership with Hershey is the most popular.

The biggest issue with Dickinson is that it is a fiercely regional school. It has a very solid reputation throughout rural PA, Hburg area, Lancaster, York, etc. However, you have a very small chance of breaking into the Philly and Pitt markets. I know Dickinson alumni are very loyal to the school (most of my friends got hired/referred to their jobs by alums), but the alums are concentrated in the areas I named above. If that's OK with you, then I would say Dickinson is a decent option.

Thanks. 3.3 158 with 6 years work experience and (so I'm told) pretty strong personal statement

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:31 am

bmathers wrote:
ml2srosie wrote:Congrats! When did you submit your app and what are your stats, btw?

Thanks. 3.3 158 with 6 years work experience and (so I'm told) pretty strong personal statement

Also, my app just went complete 2 days ago

bonham

New

Postby bonham » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Hey, I also just found out on Friday that I was accepted with a full scholarship. I have visited the campus and I really like it. My only concern is what is mentioned above about the employment market being limited to the area.

bmathers

Silver

Postby bmathers » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:32 am

bonham wrote:Hey, I also just found out on Friday that I was accepted with a full scholarship. I have visited the campus and I really like it. My only concern is what is mentioned above about the employment market being limited to the area.

Nice. I am going to go down and visit during a ASW weekend. It seems like everyone gets a full-ride to this school, lol :-)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists�