University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First TLS'er to blackout/puke at Finn's? (This does not condone binge-drinking).

jasonoh11
1
13%
mcmand
1
13%
PDX4343
1
13%
Khalid1994aziz
0
No votes
TakeitToTrial
0
No votes
Rozez
0
No votes
170orDie
1
13%
Nught
1
13%
Capt_Beatty
3
38%
other/(poll only allows 10 options)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 8

User avatar
Capt_Beatty
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby Capt_Beatty » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:11 am

rozes wrote:UW Admissions sent me a birthday card. I must admit...that was a rather nice touch that I wasn't expecting.


Happy Birthday!

rozes
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:07 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby rozes » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Capt_Beatty wrote:
rozes wrote:UW Admissions sent me a birthday card. I must admit...that was a rather nice touch that I wasn't expecting.


Happy Birthday!


Thanks! Gonna celebrate by committing to six figures of debt!

User avatar
PDX4343
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby PDX4343 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:14 pm

^ :lol:

By the way, does anyone know if UW has released the class of 2016's employment info yet? The ABA deadline has apparently already passed.

redtalun
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby redtalun » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:44 pm

They haven't and Admissions said they are working on it with no targeted eta.

User avatar
PDX4343
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby PDX4343 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:49 pm

redtalun wrote:They haven't and Admissions said they are working on it with no targeted eta.


Thanks!

newbie2017
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby newbie2017 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:07 pm

Crazy they haven't released employment data yet. Every other law school i've applied to did it last week.

BobBoblaw
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 am

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby BobBoblaw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Schools not posting their disclosures by the deadline can't bode well. I can't imagine that no news is good news in this case.... Given that employment stats are a snapshot 10 months after graduation, it also strains credulity to assert that they don't actually have the statistics in hand. They were very tight lipped about this year's employment stats at ASD, while other schools (e.g. WUSTL) were already trumpeting their increases.

redtalun
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby redtalun » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:22 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:Schools not posting their disclosures by the deadline can't bode well. I can't imagine that no news is good news in this case.... Given that employment stats are a snapshot 10 months after graduation, it also strains credulity to assert that they don't actually have the statistics in hand. They were very tight lipped about this year's employment stats at ASD, while other schools (e.g. WUSTL) were already trumpeting their increases.

Personally, I don't think it's that ominous. It wouldn't surprise me if someone at the career services office dropped the ball. It's not a great excuse (and gives you a hint about the level of support you should expect from career services as a student), but I wouldn't expect the employment numbers to horrible. The numbers are going to be pretty predictable - the BL #s will track closely to the health of Seattle's legal market (recovering slowly) with low levels of unemployment owing to UW's strong regional reputation means grads.
EDIT: they were probably tight-lipped about the employment stats at ASD because they didn't have them.

Khalid1994aziz
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby Khalid1994aziz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Just got my scholarship at noon. 45K, and just like that, my cycle is over :)

User avatar
Capt_Beatty
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby Capt_Beatty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Khalid1994aziz wrote:Just got my scholarship at noon. 45K, and just like that, my cycle is over :)


Congrats!

Khalid1994aziz
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby Khalid1994aziz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Capt_Beatty wrote:
Khalid1994aziz wrote:Just got my scholarship at noon. 45K, and just like that, my cycle is over :)


Congrats!


Thanks! :D see you at orientation?

mcmand
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby mcmand » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

redtalun wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:Schools not posting their disclosures by the deadline can't bode well. I can't imagine that no news is good news in this case.... Given that employment stats are a snapshot 10 months after graduation, it also strains credulity to assert that they don't actually have the statistics in hand. They were very tight lipped about this year's employment stats at ASD, while other schools (e.g. WUSTL) were already trumpeting their increases.

Personally, I don't think it's that ominous. It wouldn't surprise me if someone at the career services office dropped the ball. It's not a great excuse (and gives you a hint about the level of support you should expect from career services as a student), but I wouldn't expect the employment numbers to horrible. The numbers are going to be pretty predictable - the BL #s will track closely to the health of Seattle's legal market (recovering slowly) with low levels of unemployment owing to UW's strong regional reputation means grads.
EDIT: they were probably tight-lipped about the employment stats at ASD because they didn't have them.


The employment info is up now. I asked someone about this and was told it was a technical issue causing a problem in posting, not something nefarious.
http://www.law.washington.edu/Career/Em ... ry2016.pdf

The numbers look to be pretty consistent with our usual trend!

User avatar
Capt_Beatty
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby Capt_Beatty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Khalid1994aziz wrote:
Capt_Beatty wrote:
Khalid1994aziz wrote:Just got my scholarship at noon. 45K, and just like that, my cycle is over :)


Congrats!


Thanks! :D see you at orientation?


You betcha!

User avatar
TakeItToTrial
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 am

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby TakeItToTrial » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 pm

mcmand wrote:
redtalun wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:Schools not posting their disclosures by the deadline can't bode well. I can't imagine that no news is good news in this case.... Given that employment stats are a snapshot 10 months after graduation, it also strains credulity to assert that they don't actually have the statistics in hand. They were very tight lipped about this year's employment stats at ASD, while other schools (e.g. WUSTL) were already trumpeting their increases.

Personally, I don't think it's that ominous. It wouldn't surprise me if someone at the career services office dropped the ball. It's not a great excuse (and gives you a hint about the level of support you should expect from career services as a student), but I wouldn't expect the employment numbers to horrible. The numbers are going to be pretty predictable - the BL #s will track closely to the health of Seattle's legal market (recovering slowly) with low levels of unemployment owing to UW's strong regional reputation means grads.
EDIT: they were probably tight-lipped about the employment stats at ASD because they didn't have them.


The employment info is up now. I asked someone about this and was told it was a technical issue causing a problem in posting, not something nefarious.
http://www.law.washington.edu/Career/Em ... ry2016.pdf

The numbers look to be pretty consistent with our usual trend!


Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, the class size shrunk, but looks like the percentages are pretty similar.

User avatar
PDX4343
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby PDX4343 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Khalid1994aziz wrote:Just got my scholarship at noon. 45K, and just like that, my cycle is over :)


Congrats! See you this Fall!

Khalid1994aziz
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby Khalid1994aziz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:42 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
Khalid1994aziz wrote:Just got my scholarship at noon. 45K, and just like that, my cycle is over :)


Congrats! See you this Fall!


Right back atcha 8)

emeraldsea
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby emeraldsea » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:39 am

Khalid1994aziz wrote:Just got my scholarship at noon. 45K, and just like that, my cycle is over :)


Way to go! Did you receive a call or an email or both? Of course I had to drop, and break, my cell phone this morning. Fingers cross that's why I haven't heard.

Edit: Re-reading your posts, it looks like this was a first-round scholarship, yeah? Or did you hear during the second round?

Thank you,
a second round hopeful

BobBoblaw
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 am

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby BobBoblaw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:04 am

emeraldsea wrote:
Khalid1994aziz wrote:Just got my scholarship at noon. 45K, and just like that, my cycle is over :)


Way to go! Did you receive a call or an email or both? Of course I had to drop, and break, my cell phone this morning. Fingers cross that's why I haven't heard.

Edit: Re-reading your posts, it looks like this was a first-round scholarship, yeah? Or did you hear during the second round?

Thank you,
a second round hopeful



It was second round, I imagine. I also got an email offer yesterday from UW for 45k. Unfortunately, I've got nearly double that from higher ranked schools so I'll probably be throwing it back in the pot for those of you still waiting for aid. :cry:

Good luck all!

Redfactor
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby Redfactor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:05 am

2016 grad here. Those numbers feel consistent with my take of what happened.

There are jobs out there for UW grads, and I think most Western Washington firms actively want them. I do not think the same is true for the other Seattle law school.

Is UW going to have the employment statistics like a CCN? No, but this market cannot support a CCN. When considering how many biglaw jobs there are in the Seattle market, UW places very well.

Grats on the wave of scholarship funds, all.

Khalid1994aziz
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby Khalid1994aziz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:45 pm

emeraldsea wrote:
Khalid1994aziz wrote:Just got my scholarship at noon. 45K, and just like that, my cycle is over :)


Way to go! Did you receive a call or an email or both? Of course I had to drop, and break, my cell phone this morning. Fingers cross that's why I haven't heard.

Edit: Re-reading your posts, it looks like this was a first-round scholarship, yeah? Or did you hear during the second round?

Thank you,
a second round hopeful


It was second round, and I got an email from Dean Le!

170orDie
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:04 am

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby 170orDie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Khalid1994aziz wrote:
emeraldsea wrote:
Khalid1994aziz wrote:Just got my scholarship at noon. 45K, and just like that, my cycle is over :)


Way to go! Did you receive a call or an email or both? Of course I had to drop, and break, my cell phone this morning. Fingers cross that's why I haven't heard.

Edit: Re-reading your posts, it looks like this was a first-round scholarship, yeah? Or did you hear during the second round?

Thank you,
a second round hopeful


It was second round, and I got an email from Dean Le!



Are you in state resident?

Khalid1994aziz
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby Khalid1994aziz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:12 pm

170orDie wrote:
Khalid1994aziz wrote:
emeraldsea wrote:
Khalid1994aziz wrote:Just got my scholarship at noon. 45K, and just like that, my cycle is over :)


Way to go! Did you receive a call or an email or both? Of course I had to drop, and break, my cell phone this morning. Fingers cross that's why I haven't heard.

Edit: Re-reading your posts, it looks like this was a first-round scholarship, yeah? Or did you hear during the second round?

Thank you,
a second round hopeful


It was second round, and I got an email from Dean Le!



Are you in state resident?


Out of state

User avatar
PDX4343
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby PDX4343 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:35 pm

I'm thinking about living downtown while attending UW so we can be closer to my girlfriend's work. If I do, I'll be commuting via public transit about 30 minutes each way. I was hoping to get some advice from the current students in this thread about whether or not this is a good idea during the first year of school. Is it important that I'm closer to UW for any reason?

mcmand
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby mcmand » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:18 am

PDX4343 wrote:I'm thinking about living downtown while attending UW so we can be closer to my girlfriend's work. If I do, I'll be commuting via public transit about 30 minutes each way. I was hoping to get some advice from the current students in this thread about whether or not this is a good idea during the first year of school. Is it important that I'm closer to UW for any reason?


Downtown is fine for commuting. The u-district is nice for convenience, but it's not like you're pulling all nighters all the time that you would need to be walking distance to school. There's a bus route, and then light rail which makes it a reasonable commute.

My hesitation for you about downtown is there's nothing really affordable down there. I'm assuming your girlfriend can afford a $2500+/month apartment and that's why you're looking at downtown.

Also, do you mean true downtown or Belltown (north of Stewart street)? Living in Belltown (which is distinct from downtown) will really make your commute kinda crappy. You have to walk at least 10+ minutes to light rail or a bus, or do a transfer between buses. That will make your commute more like 45 minutes.

jasonoh11
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby jasonoh11 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:00 pm

Hey!

I don't know if this is the right section to post, but if anyone is in the Seattle area this weekend I'll be visiting the campus/city if anyone wants to grab a drink.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abcdefg1234567, aim0214, Bluffer0123, bubblebat, chldudals22, Cogburn1984, curvybanana63, Google [Bot], jibrahim23, joooookchang, LAW43218905, monsterc_, phqd_roar, theharleyquinn and 19 guests