University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First TLS'er to blackout/puke at Finn's? (This does not condone binge-drinking).

jasonoh11
13%
mcmand
13%
PDX4343
13%
Khalid1994aziz
No votes
TakeitToTrial
No votes
Rozez
No votes
170orDie
13%
Nught
13%
Capt_Beatty
38%
other/(poll only allows 10 options)
No votes

Total votes: 8

khaleesi_k

New

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby khaleesi_k » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:52 pm

Sorry just jumping in here.

Does anyone know what the deal is with deposits? I have no idea where I want to go yet but am currently putting a lot of consideration into University of Washington (vs. Irvine and Indiana). I was kind of hoping to visit before making my final decision. I think I'm currently leaning towards UCI but my mom is encouraging me to at least put down the deposit on Washington for now.

But the deposit is due so soon! I read that students will get revoked if they put deposits down at different schools. Is that true?

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Postby Capt_Beatty » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:40 am

mcmand wrote:
Capt_Beatty wrote:
mcmand wrote:
Capt_Beatty wrote:mcmand, how did your 3L Winter Quarter finals go?

Ugh, lol. :lol: It may be I'm just burned out on school, but I had a pretty arduous finals week last week. Criminal Procedure: Investigation, then Securities Regulation, then Professional Responsibility, and then I took the MPRE on Saturday (which was AWFUL). So, 3 law school finals, and then a standardized test required for bar admission.

Crim pro was tolerable - very standard issue spotter type of law school final exam. Was there a search, was there a warrant, do one of the exceptions apply, blahblahblah. I made my outline over the weekend and it was sufficient. SecReg was about as bad as I thought it would be. It's a hard class that requires knowing a lot about intricate statutes and regulations, and there was one question where I literally just didn't know what to do on the first read, until I spent 15 minutes going through my notes to find what fit the situation. Professional responsibility was an 8 hour take home final. Never believe that this makes the exam better. When they give you 8 hours and unfettered access to anything you want, it usually means they make it a MUCH more substantive, drawn out final. Even if it's not "harder," it takes longer to do. It took me about 5-6 hours. I checked all my multiple choice answers against the Model Rules, and then the essays were these long drawn out policy questions with minimum word counts. And then the MPRE I just did not spend enough time really digging in and preparing for, and I hadn't fully memorized the rules, so I found myself staring at questions like "I have no fucking clue but it's between these two so coin flip." Thankfully, the MPRE minimum scores in most states are around the 33rd percentile, so hopefully I get JUST ENOUGH to not retake it in August.

My advice: once you're a 2L/3L, try not to take more than two classes with finals in a quarter. I've made this mistake three or four times now and it always kicks my ass. At least with a paper class you can be flexible about allotting your time and try to get it done before finals week (or at the tail end of it). Some people prefer having the concreteness of finals to prepare for, but the motions of finals prep (making your outline, doing practice questions, reviewing) is sooo time consuming. If you procrastinate at all you're quickly in for some very painful days of sitting in a study room grinding it out as quickly as you can. I always procrastinate at least one class's finals prep, so I always end up hurting in some way. On the upside, the material is super fresh, assuming I get through everything.

Addendum: As 1Ls, your finals schedule is way more chill than this. You'll only have two for fall and winter quarters, and your memo for legal writing is due usually at least a week before finals week. The pacing only gets crazy once you're a 2L and you start choosing all your classes, and before you realize it you've overloaded yourself.

Yikes, sounds painful. Thanks for the info about 1L finals, seems manageable (now). How many essay questions do you typically see on take home exams?

Totally depends on the class. That PR final had 4 essay questions, split into two parts each, with one part minimum 250 words and the other part minimum 500 words. My antitrust take home final last year was three large fact patterns, each with several sub-questions attached asking for different analyses. I wrote about 12 pages single spaced total. One of my crazier classmates wrote over 20 (no idea what else she could have said, considering I got a better grade than her). Longer is not always better, especially if you're just blathering.

I also had an in-person exam for Banking Law last year that was literally the exact same practice problems we had done in class, with a few words tweaked. It took me 45 minutes and was only a few paragraphs total. Because it was below 15 students, there was no curve. It was the easiest A I've had. Loved it.

Sign me up!

Are you in a particular concentration track? It seems like you're taking a balanced, yet heavy, course load.

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Postby Capt_Beatty » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:47 am

chandhi wrote:While we are all on edge about financial stuff and possibly getting some last decisions from schools... http://www.washington.edu/news/2017/03/ ... atch-2017/

And here are some photos I took the last few years:
[+] Spoiler

Get excited, people.

Pretty!

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Postby Capt_Beatty » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:53 am

khaleesi_k wrote:Sorry just jumping in here.

Does anyone know what the deal is with deposits? I have no idea where I want to go yet but am currently putting a lot of consideration into University of Washington (vs. Irvine and Indiana). I was kind of hoping to visit before making my final decision. I think I'm currently leaning towards UCI but my mom is encouraging me to at least put down the deposit on Washington for now.

But the deposit is due so soon! I read that students will get revoked if they put deposits down at different schools. Is that true?

I'm sure people will offer their advice in this thread, but your question might be better suited for a general, popular thread. As for the deposit, must be UCI/Indiana you're speaking of? Check the link in your acceptance email, there's still some time left!

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:36 am

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:41 am

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khaleesi_k

New

Postby khaleesi_k » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:19 am

mcmand wrote:
khaleesi_k wrote:Sorry just jumping in here.

I love your photo btw. I rewatched Buffy when I was stressed 1L year. Cordelia is one of the best characters.

Not sure about revoking but all the admissions folks get notified when someone with a deposit with them has a deposit with someone else. When i got off the wait list at UW i received an intense email from Dean Le when I didn't immediately remove my deposit from another school. You can probably get away with it for a few days but not sure about sitting on multiple deposits for weeks or months.

Hehehe it's such a great show :)

And wow ok I will have to be on top of that then! Thanks for the info

emeraldsea

New

Postby emeraldsea » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Not sure why I'm refreshing my email today in hopes of a scholarship decision ... seeing as they've taken their sweet time with every other step in the process.

Anyone else received good (or not so) news?

BarMan

New

Postby BarMan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:55 pm

emeraldsea wrote:Not sure why I'm refreshing my email today in hopes of a scholarship decision ... seeing as they've taken their sweet time with every other step in the process.

I'm in the same boat haha--- refreshing the inbox for scholly news today so I can assess whether it's worth it to fly out from the East Coast for ASD. Their deadline to submit for reimbursement is tomorrow too...

NonTrad82

New

Postby NonTrad82 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:19 pm

BarMan wrote:
emeraldsea wrote:Not sure why I'm refreshing my email today in hopes of a scholarship decision ... seeing as they've taken their sweet time with every other step in the process.

I'm in the same boat haha--- refreshing the inbox for scholly news today so I can assess whether it's worth it to fly out from the East Coast for ASD. Their deadline to submit for reimbursement is tomorrow too...

I've found that a great way to distract myself from constantly checking my inbox is to listen to the wonderful classical music the UW Registrar plays while I'm on hold ;)

BarMan

New

Postby BarMan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
BarMan wrote:

I've found that a great way to distract myself from constantly checking my inbox is to listen to the wonderful classical music the UW Registrar plays while I'm on hold ;)

Hahah, I can imagine

By the way--- for those of you who got the mailing from UW after being admitted, there's a page in that folder titled "Enrollment Confirmation Instructions", which lists your UW Student Number and PAC. So, you should be able to set up your account and view your award without having to deal with the hassle of spending the day on hold. I just randomly stumbled upon that---- hope that helps!

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:33 pm

BarMan wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
BarMan wrote:

Hahah, I can imagine

By the way--- for those of you who got the mailing from UW after being admitted, there's a page in that folder titled "Enrollment Confirmation Instructions", which lists your UW Student Number and PAC. So, you should be able to set up your account and view your award without having to deal with the hassle of spending the day on hold. I just randomly stumbled upon that---- hope that helps!

HOW DID I MISS THIS

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:34 pm

By the way, I just created us a page in the class of 2020 forum since we were seriously lagging. Let me know if you all want me to add anything to the OP.

NonTrad82

New

Postby NonTrad82 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:35 pm

BarMan wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
BarMan wrote:

Hahah, I can imagine

Did you need a "system key" to setup your UW NetID? [I've got my student # and PAC, but when I follow the link in the admitted students portal, I am taken to a page where I need to verify my last name, birthdate, "system key", and PAC.]

BarMan

New

Postby BarMan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:28 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
BarMan wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
BarMan wrote:

Hahah, I can imagine

Did you need a "system key" to setup your UW NetID? [I've got my student # and PAC, but when I follow the link in the admitted students portal, I am taken to a page where I need to verify my last name, birthdate, "system key", and PAC.]

I actually just clicked the link in Dean Le's e-mail that took me to the MyUW log-in page and created a username from there with just my UW # and PAC. Somehow it worked!

NonTrad82

New

Postby NonTrad82 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:51 pm

BarMan wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
BarMan wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
BarMan wrote:

Hahah, I can imagine

I actually just clicked the link in Dean Le's e-mail that took me to the MyUW log-in page and created a username from there with just my UW # and PAC. Somehow it worked!

Success! Thanks, barman!

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:48 am

Happy 3/24 everyone!

I had a dream last night they literally gave me $84 non renewable. Hopefully reality is better haha

Redfactor

Bronze

Postby Redfactor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Hello all!

Recent grad here. First, congrats to those who've been admitted this far! That's an accomplishment you should feel proud about.

Second, I think $$ awards are coming out soon. I wish all of you nothing but full rides! However, that doesn't sound like the UW I know.

If you are disappointed with the award amount, I encourage you to work with the administration to get your award to a place you're comfortable with. The school's scholarship approach is not as uniform as other schools'; negotiate prior to accepting doom.

Dean Le is a terrific professional - work with him.

Best of luck wherever you end up attending!

sushibarwxam

New

Postby sushibarwxam » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Well, it's finally Friday...

Khalid1994aziz

New

Postby Khalid1994aziz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:46 pm

sushibarwxam wrote:Well, it's finally Friday...

This is almost as bad as waiting for LSATs. I'm 99% sure I'm going to go, I just need a lil reciprocation.

sushibarwxam

New

Postby sushibarwxam » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:49 pm

Khalid1994aziz wrote:
sushibarwxam wrote:Well, it's finally Friday...

This is almost as bad as waiting for LSATs. I'm 99% sure I'm going to go, I just need a lil reciprocation.

Haha, if only we could "go grey" in anticipation of the email...

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Postby TakeItToTrial » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:01 pm

According to the c/o 2019 thread, emails went out around 2:00 pm last year.

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:06 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:According to the c/o 2019 thread, emails went out around 2:00 pm last year.

2:00PM EST, so we're a little over an hour behind schedule so far.

monotonemr

New

Postby monotonemr » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:16 pm

TakeItToTrial wrote:According to the c/o 2019 thread, emails went out around 2:00 pm last year.

PST?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Postby TakeItToTrial » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:22 pm

monotonemr wrote:

PST?

Nah, EST

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?