University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First TLS'er to blackout/puke at Finn's? (This does not condone binge-drinking).

jasonoh11
13%
mcmand
13%
PDX4343
13%
Khalid1994aziz
No votes
TakeitToTrial
No votes
Rozez
No votes
170orDie
13%
Nught
13%
Capt_Beatty
38%
other/(poll only allows 10 options)
No votes

Total votes: 8

Khalid1994aziz

New

Re: University of Washington School of Law c/o 2020 ::app cycle 2016/2017::

Postby Khalid1994aziz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:38 am

NonTrad82 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
Ashleighjarm wrote:
Khalid1994aziz wrote:SHOW ME THE MONEY :mrgreen:

They did say within a week... the day after counts right?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they said "the following week." I think that means the 20th -24th. :(

They did say 'within the following week', which I guess could be interpreted to mean as early as today technically. Although, I looked at last year's thread and it seems like most of the offers went out the following Friday. I'm guessing we'll hear back on the 24th unfortunately.

Just received an e-mail from Dean Le. It included the following language:

"I hope this message finds you well. Thank you for submitting a scholarship application, the Scholarship Committee is currently reviewing those applications and we will notify you of a determination by the end of next week." [Note: my emphasis]

So, yeah. Sounds like by the 24th to me--can't wait!! Any WA residents deal w/ their residency questionnaire yet?

Which email did you get that on?

NonTrad82

New

Postby NonTrad82 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Khalid1994aziz wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
Ashleighjarm wrote:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they said "the following week." I think that means the 20th -24th. :(

They did say 'within the following week', which I guess could be interpreted to mean as early as today technically. Although, I looked at last year's thread and it seems like most of the offers went out the following Friday. I'm guessing we'll hear back on the 24th unfortunately.

"I hope this message finds you well. Thank you for submitting a scholarship application, the Scholarship Committee is currently reviewing those applications and we will notify you of a determination by the end of next week." [Note: my emphasis]

So, yeah. Sounds like by the 24th to me--can't wait!! Any WA residents deal w/ their residency questionnaire yet?

Hi, Khalid1994aziz. This was in the e-mail I received yesterday (3/17) afternoon, with subject line 'UW Law - Scholarship Application Under Review/Residency Questionnaire'. Did you get that, too?

Khalid1994aziz

New

Postby Khalid1994aziz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:10 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
Khalid1994aziz wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
chandhi wrote:
Ashleighjarm wrote:

Hi, Khalid1994aziz. This was in the e-mail I received yesterday (3/17) afternoon, with subject line 'UW Law - Scholarship Application Under Review/Residency Questionnaire'. Did you get that, too?

Hi! I meant to ask if it came to the same email that your acceptance came in, or the email provided by the school?

NonTrad82

New

Postby NonTrad82 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Khalid1994aziz wrote:Hi! I meant to ask if it came to the same email that your acceptance came in, or the email provided by the school?

It did not come to my (as-of-yet-unestablished) UW e-mail, but did come to the same email address as my acceptance. I also submitted my $cholly app almost 2 months ago, so maybe I got a response sooner b/c of that?

Khalid1994aziz

New

Postby Khalid1994aziz » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:44 pm

NonTrad82 wrote:
Khalid1994aziz wrote:Hi! I meant to ask if it came to the same email that your acceptance came in, or the email provided by the school?

It did not come to my (as-of-yet-unestablished) UW e-mail, but did come to the same email address as my acceptance. I also submitted my $cholly app almost 2 months ago, so maybe I got a response sooner b/c of that?

On the 10th of march, I got an email saying that the offered loan amounts were not indicative of all the aid we were going to get. And it went on to say how we would be getting g our aid in the next two weeks.

Did you get that too?

NonTrad82

New

Postby NonTrad82 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Khalid1994aziz wrote:
NonTrad82 wrote:

On the 10th of march, I got an email saying that the offered loan amounts were not indicative of all the aid we were going to get. And it went on to say how we would be getting g our aid in the next two weeks.

Did you get that too?

Yessir--got that one , too. But then I also got the quoted e-mail on the 17th. My thought is: I wouldn't worry until the end of day on the 24th. If you haven't heard anything about your $cholly by then, I'd contact law admissions the following Monday, and ask them whats going on.

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Well, no Gates Scholarship for me :|

Just got an email saying I was not selected as a finalist.

Stylnator

Silver

Postby Stylnator » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:55 pm

chandhi wrote:Well, no Gates Scholarship for me :|

+1, super disappointing b/c UW is most likely out for me now :?

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Stylnator wrote:
chandhi wrote:Well, no Gates Scholarship for me :|

+1, super disappointing b/c UW is most likely out for me now :?

Ugh. Well, we tried. Hoping we get some good news regarding other scholarships.

pacnw1234

New

Postby pacnw1234 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Hey y'all,

I'm a 1L at UW Law freshly off Winter quarter finals. I thought I'd take a peek at this year's forums and see how it's going for everyone.

It seems like scholarships are on everyone's mind, so I thought I'd share my experience. I couldn't provide any specific dates for when it all happened, so sorry in advance for not being able to ease anyone's anxiety in that regard. I remember how taxing this time was.

Basically, it took a long time, but I did end up getting (what I consider) significant money. I applied for both Gregoire and Gates, but wasn't selected for either. From what I can tell, I didn't fit the general description of either, so in hindsight it isn't much of a surprise. But at the time I remember it was bruising. Don't worry about it outside of its financial ramifications--once the scholars and the "common student" arrive in class, 1L year has a way of refocusing everyone's priorities.

I also submitted a general scholarship application. The first thing I heard back was from Dean Le informing that I hadn't been selected during the first round of scholarship awards. That was more bruising than anything, and I seriously considered attending other schools that had already offered me a good deal of money. (Side note: I'm in-state WA and all the others were out-of-state; the money I got to come to UW, while less than others as a gross, makes for a lower net cost-of-attendance)

A few (can't recall how long, but it felt like an eternity) weeks later, I received $10,000/yr. in merit scholarships combined with a $9,000/yr. need-based grant.

So my advice to you all is be patient and know that the process can take a while--and when you're enduring it, I know it feels even longer. As a disclaimer, the school can obviously only give out as much money as it has. I think that admissions prioritizes spreading the pot around to as many students as possible, in lieu of fully funding a small handful, for what that's worth.

UW Law is a fantastic school and I'm happy to answer anyone's questions, if you have any. And good luck! I hope to meet a good number of you in September.

ckb614

New

Postby ckb614 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Why is the admitted students event on a weekday during the day?

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:20 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:20 pm

ckb614 wrote:Why is the admitted students event on a weekday during the day?

That's pretty much how most schools do it. I think it's so that you can be there while the faculty and current students are in-session.

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:34 pm

withdrew. good luck to all others.

connordalto

Bronze

Postby connordalto » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:43 pm

pacnw1234 wrote:Hey y'all,

I'm a 1L at UW Law freshly off Winter quarter finals. I thought I'd take a peek at this year's forums and see how it's going for everyone.

It seems like scholarships are on everyone's mind, so I thought I'd share my experience. I couldn't provide any specific dates for when it all happened, so sorry in advance for not being able to ease anyone's anxiety in that regard. I remember how taxing this time was.

Basically, it took a long time, but I did end up getting (what I consider) significant money. I applied for both Gregoire and Gates, but wasn't selected for either. From what I can tell, I didn't fit the general description of either, so in hindsight it isn't much of a surprise. But at the time I remember it was bruising. Don't worry about it outside of its financial ramifications--once the scholars and the "common student" arrive in class, 1L year has a way of refocusing everyone's priorities.

I also submitted a general scholarship application. The first thing I heard back was from Dean Le informing that I hadn't been selected during the first round of scholarship awards. That was more bruising than anything, and I seriously considered attending other schools that had already offered me a good deal of money. (Side note: I'm in-state WA and all the others were out-of-state; the money I got to come to UW, while less than others as a gross, makes for a lower net cost-of-attendance)

A few (can't recall how long, but it felt like an eternity) weeks later, I received $10,000/yr. in merit scholarships combined with a $9,000/yr. need-based grant.

So my advice to you all is be patient and know that the process can take a while--and when you're enduring it, I know it feels even longer. As a disclaimer, the school can obviously only give out as much money as it has. I think that admissions prioritizes spreading the pot around to as many students as possible, in lieu of fully funding a small handful, for what that's worth.

UW Law is a fantastic school and I'm happy to answer anyone's questions, if you have any. And good luck! I hope to meet a good number of you in September.

Would you mind sharing where you fell in the admissions class profile?

Also as a general question, I was a little confused about the ABA Standard 509 Disclosures.

https://www.law.washington.edu/admissio ... report.pdf

They list the 25th, 50th, and 75th percentile grant amounts as 9K, 12K, and 20K respectively for UW. Are these amounts awarded annually (so x3), or are these simply the total amounts of scholarship money given for all three years? Might be a silly question but I feel you could interpret it both ways.

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Postby Capt_Beatty » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:52 pm

amta wrote:withdrew. good luck to all others.

G'bye friend.
Last edited by Capt_Beatty on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Capt_Beatty wrote:
amta wrote:withdrew. good luck to all others.

So long friend.

i will see you in the UCD thread. this is just goodbye for now.

ckb614

New

Postby ckb614 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:20 pm

mcmand wrote:
ckb614 wrote:Why is the admitted students event on a weekday during the day?

Why wouldn't it be? All the ASD's I went to when I applied to law school were weekdays... we're not going to hold classes on the weekends for you to sit in on, just for you. If you want to see the law school busy and bustling with events and students, it's going to be on a weekday.

I'd rather be able to go at all than care if there are current students walking around, but I guess if they want you to get a "feel" for the campus it makes sense. You're right though, the other schools I got into are the same way, but I knew I wasn't going to them anyway

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Postby Capt_Beatty » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:18 pm

mcmand wrote:
connordalto wrote:

Would you mind sharing where you fell in the admissions class profile?

Also as a general question, I was a little confused about the ABA Standard 509 Disclosures.

https://www.law.washington.edu/admissio ... report.pdf

They list the 25th, 50th, and 75th percentile grant amounts as 9K, 12K, and 20K respectively for UW. Are these amounts awarded annually (so x3), or are these simply the total amounts of scholarship money given for all three years? Might be a silly question but I feel you could interpret it both ways.

It could be both, depending on the scholarship. The 25th percentile amount ($9000) appears to correspond to the $9000 graduate university grant discussed previously in this thread, which comes from the broader university, and is $9000 for each year you qualify for it (it's need-based only). So in that case, it would be x3, if you qualify for it each year. Or, like in my case, I didn't get it 1L year, but received it 2L and 3L year.

The other amounts may include that $9000, or they may not, so those could be for all three years total, or just one year, or spliced up somehow.

I don't have a source other than my own analysis of the amounts correlating to the scholarships I received and what I see/hear other people receiving. But at this point, your best answer is going to be from Admissions in the next few days when they send out awards, not from trying to divine what the 509 report means. You could also just ask them directly, they are usually happy to answer questions about publicly available information.

mcmand, how did your 3L Winter Quarter finals go?

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Postby TakeItToTrial » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks for posting. Seeing as UW's scholarship allocation process is unique, it's great to get some information from someone who's been through it firsthand.

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capt_Beatty

Bronze

Postby Capt_Beatty » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:23 pm

mcmand wrote:
Capt_Beatty wrote:mcmand, how did your 3L Winter Quarter finals go?

Ugh, lol. :lol: It may be I'm just burned out on school, but I had a pretty arduous finals week last week. Criminal Procedure: Investigation, then Securities Regulation, then Professional Responsibility, and then I took the MPRE on Saturday (which was AWFUL). So, 3 law school finals, and then a standardized test required for bar admission.

Crim pro was tolerable - very standard issue spotter type of law school final exam. Was there a search, was there a warrant, do one of the exceptions apply, blahblahblah. I made my outline over the weekend and it was sufficient. SecReg was about as bad as I thought it would be. It's a hard class that requires knowing a lot about intricate statutes and regulations, and there was one question where I literally just didn't know what to do on the first read, until I spent 15 minutes going through my notes to find what fit the situation. Professional responsibility was an 8 hour take home final. Never believe that this makes the exam better. When they give you 8 hours and unfettered access to anything you want, it usually means they make it a MUCH more substantive, drawn out final. Even if it's not "harder," it takes longer to do. It took me about 5-6 hours. I checked all my multiple choice answers against the Model Rules, and then the essays were these long drawn out policy questions with minimum word counts. And then the MPRE I just did not spend enough time really digging in and preparing for, and I hadn't fully memorized the rules, so I found myself staring at questions like "I have no fucking clue but it's between these two so coin flip." Thankfully, the MPRE minimum scores in most states are around the 33rd percentile, so hopefully I get JUST ENOUGH to not retake it in August.

My advice: once you're a 2L/3L, try not to take more than two classes with finals in a quarter. I've made this mistake three or four times now and it always kicks my ass. At least with a paper class you can be flexible about allotting your time and try to get it done before finals week (or at the tail end of it). Some people prefer having the concreteness of finals to prepare for, but the motions of finals prep (making your outline, doing practice questions, reviewing) is sooo time consuming. If you procrastinate at all you're quickly in for some very painful days of sitting in a study room grinding it out as quickly as you can. I always procrastinate at least one class's finals prep, so I always end up hurting in some way. On the upside, the material is super fresh, assuming I get through everything.

Addendum: As 1Ls, your finals schedule is way more chill than this. You'll only have two for fall and winter quarters, and your memo for legal writing is due usually at least a week before finals week. The pacing only gets crazy once you're a 2L and you start choosing all your classes, and before you realize it you've overloaded yourself.

Yikes, sounds painful. Thanks for the info about 1L finals, seems manageable (now). How many essay questions do you typically see on take home exams?

mcmand

Silver

Postby mcmand » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:12 pm

While we are all on edge about financial stuff and possibly getting some last decisions from schools... http://www.washington.edu/news/2017/03/ ... atch-2017/

And here are some photos I took the last few years:
[+] Spoiler

Get excited, people.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?