George Washington c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PDX4343

Silver

Re: George Washington c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby PDX4343 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:01 pm

jlc058 wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Guys, have you logged into the admitted students portal yet? Last year, in the merit scholarship tab, GWU said they don't negotiate based on offers from peer schools. But they gave an option of scholarship reconsideration form which went live from feb 1 to march 15. This year, there is no mention of such form on the portal. Anyone found it?

I don't see anything about it- not even when you just search their website. I guess they aren't doing it this year to try and really discourage people from attempting negotiation?

You're probably right. I wonder how they would respond to an email request? Not sure if they would just shut it down completely or be open to it.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Postby BostonOrBust » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Checking in. How long have people here typically been UR before hearing back? I submitted 1/9 and then noticed that I was UR on
1/13 (which seemed quite fast to me compared to other similarly ranked schools I applied to.) I'd love to hear something in the next couple weeks!

Mint-Berry_Crunch

Platinum

Postby Mint-Berry_Crunch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:03 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:Checking in. How long have people here typically been UR before hearing back? I submitted 1/9 and then noticed that I was UR on
1/13 (which seemed quite fast to me compared to other similarly ranked schools I applied to.) I'd love to hear something in the next couple weeks!

same Q

lula43

Bronze

Postby lula43 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:07 pm

In via email on Friday! Submitted on 12/20.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:32 pm

PDX4343 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Guys, have you logged into the admitted students portal yet? Last year, in the merit scholarship tab, GWU said they don't negotiate based on offers from peer schools. But they gave an option of scholarship reconsideration form which went live from feb 1 to march 15. This year, there is no mention of such form on the portal. Anyone found it?

I don't see anything about it- not even when you just search their website. I guess they aren't doing it this year to try and really discourage people from attempting negotiation?

You're probably right. I wonder how they would respond to an email request? Not sure if they would just shut it down completely or be open to it.

Hmmm, so the schol reconsideration form was perhaps an experiment. It was only there last year. Never before. So I am guessing we revert to the traditional medium of negotiations - e-mails.

jlc058

Bronze

Postby jlc058 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:06 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:

Hmmm, so the schol reconsideration form was perhaps an experiment. It was only there last year. Never before. So I am guessing we revert to the traditional medium of negotiations - e-mails.

I think it is more like they are moving slowly away from being open about negotiation- probably before people emailed and they were open to it and then they changed it to we don't negotiate but we "reconsider" with this form and now this year we don't negotiate and don't even mention the form so that people will think they really have no chance and don't try

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:20 pm

jlc058 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:

I think it is more like they are moving slowly away from being open about negotiation- probably before people emailed and they were open to it and then they changed it to we don't negotiate but we "reconsider" with this form and now this year we don't negotiate and don't even mention the form so that people will think they really have no chance and don't try

Aah. Game theory! Now that we've figured that they do have the schol money but just want to make us think they don't and hence discourage us from trying, we should go right ahead and mail them. :lol:

headrangerwoody

New

Postby headrangerwoody » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:09 pm

For those admitted, how long did it take after the admission email for you to get the admissions packet in the mail?

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:50 pm

would some acceptances mind sharing their timelines?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:56 pm

amta wrote:would some acceptances mind sharing their timelines?

Applied: 11/4
Complete: 11/5
Decision Made: 12/5 or 12/6ish
Accepted: 12/8

mjkj3t

New

Postby mjkj3t » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Applied: 12/16/2016
Complete: 12/18/2016
More Information Requested: 01/03/2017
Submitted: 01/04/2017
Decision Made: 01/09/2017
Accepted Email: 01/10/2017

lula43

Bronze

Postby lula43 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Applied 12/19
Complete 12/20
Decision Made 1/13
Decision Email 1/13

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:22 pm

Applied 1/2; complete 1/3; acceptance mail 1/10

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:40 am

Applied 1/3
Complete 1/5
Decision made and acceptance email 1/13

Abcd23

New

Postby Abcd23 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:54 am

Submitted: 12/19
Decision Made: 1/09
Accepted: 1/10

Good luck! :)

l3g@l33s3

New

Postby l3g@l33s3 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:34 pm

jlc058 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:

Aah. Game theory! Now that we've figured that they do have the schol money but just want to make us think they don't and hence discourage us from trying, we should go right ahead and mail them. :lol:

I talked to admissions yesterday. They said they will have the form up in February.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:54 pm

l3g@l33s3 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:

I talked to admissions yesterday. They said they will have the form up in February.

Wow!! Great news! God Bless You!

jlc058

Bronze

Postby jlc058 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:55 pm

l3g@l33s3 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:

Hallelujah!

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:42 pm

For those who are worried about the $3,000 seat deposit -- I spoke to admissions a few days ago and was told that they would be happy to draw up a commitment form for me in lieu of the seat deposits. I was told to check back in towards the end of the cycle when I've made a final decision, but it seems that at least on a case by case basis, you can avoid the hefty deposit if you ask.

sec_undergrad

New

Postby sec_undergrad » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:24 pm

PDX4343 wrote:For those who are worried about the $3,000 seat deposit -- I spoke to admissions a few days ago and was told that they would be happy to draw up a commitment form for me in lieu of the seat deposits. I was told to check back in towards the end of the cycle when I've made a final decision, but it seems that at least on a case by case basis, you can avoid the hefty deposit if you ask.

Wow! This is great to know!
Thanks!

jlc058

Bronze

Postby jlc058 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 am

l3g@l33s3 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:

When you spoke with them did they say it would go up Feb 1 like last year or just some point in the month? Trying to weigh pros/cons of submitting a form right as it comes out vs. waiting until some other school offers might trickle in later in the month (even though they claim these don't influence the decision)

l3g@l33s3

New

Postby l3g@l33s3 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:04 am

You're probably right. I wonder how they would respond to an email request? Not sure if they would just shut it down completely or be open to it.[/quote]

Hmmm, so the schol reconsideration form was perhaps an experiment. It was only there last year. Never before. So I am guessing we revert to the traditional medium of negotiations - e-mails.[/quote]

I think it is more like they are moving slowly away from being open about negotiation- probably before people emailed and they were open to it and then they changed it to we don't negotiate but we "reconsider" with this form and now this year we don't negotiate and don't even mention the form so that people will think they really have no chance and don't try[/quote]

Aah. Game theory! Now that we've figured that they do have the schol money but just want to make us think they don't and hence discourage us from trying, we should go right ahead and mail them. :lol:[/quote]

I talked to admissions yesterday. They said they will have the form up in February.[/quote]

When you spoke with them did they say it would go up Feb 1 like last year or just some point in the month? Trying to weigh pros/cons of submitting a form right as it comes out vs. waiting until some other school offers might trickle in later in the month (even though they claim these don't influence the decision)[/quote]

I think she said Feb 1st, but I could be wrong.

musiclover123

New

Postby musiclover123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 am

Has anyone who has been admitted not received access to the admitted students portal yet?

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Postby CatherineZetaScarn1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:44 pm

Went UR 1/9. Based on timelines for everyone else, I'm starting to get worried. :shock:

ekg212

New

Postby ekg212 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:49 pm

CatherineZetaScarn1 wrote:Went UR 1/9. Based on timelines for everyone else, I'm starting to get worried. :shock:

me toooooooooooo :( :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?