W&M C/O of 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Re: W&M C/O of 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Bob loblaw law blog wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:Would ED be worth it/better than RD if my numbers are 165/3.89? A full scholarship seems stupid to pass up

Maybe? The obvious question is what do you want to do and where? If you want to live in VA the rest of your life (and aren't willing to retake to take a shot at UVA) it's a no brainier, but if not I'd seriously consider casting q wider net.

If you're happy will full at w and m though I don't see why not, you'd almost certainly get it I'd think(though I didn't realize w and m did the Ed scholarship thing, do they?) And you likely wouldnt get quite full if you applied Rd, I had a 170+ lsat and a 3.6x and didn't quite get full.

The ED full scholarship is pretty new; iirc this is the only second year they've had it. Would be nice if the 2016 class 509 was available to see how many students go in via ED.

You're pretty familiar with VA, right? Anecdotally, do you have a feel for which regions in VA most W&M grads end up in?

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:29 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Also accepted this morning via email! First acceptance of the cycle, so it's good to know there isn't anything seriously wrong with my application... Really like W&M when I had to chance to visit last Spring with my school's pre-law program.

e - Submitted 11/01, complete 11/03

For reference, numbers are 3.5/167

Got packet today - 28k per year or $84k total scholly - brings tuition down to 13k per year so happy with it!

amberb94

Bronze

Postby amberb94 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:21 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:Also accepted this morning via email! First acceptance of the cycle, so it's good to know there isn't anything seriously wrong with my application... Really like W&M when I had to chance to visit last Spring with my school's pre-law program.

Got packet today - 28k per year or $84k total scholly - brings tuition down to 13k per year so happy with it!

Weird...both my numbers are higher and I got less money.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:22 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:Would ED be worth it/better than RD if my numbers are 165/3.89? A full scholarship seems stupid to pass up

Maybe? The obvious question is what do you want to do and where? If you want to live in VA the rest of your life (and aren't willing to retake to take a shot at UVA) it's a no brainier, but if not I'd seriously consider casting q wider net.

If you're happy will full at w and m though I don't see why not, you'd almost certainly get it I'd think(though I didn't realize w and m did the Ed scholarship thing, do they?) And you likely wouldnt get quite full if you applied Rd, I had a 170+ lsat and a 3.6x and didn't quite get full.

The ED full scholarship is pretty new; iirc this is the only second year they've had it. Would be nice if the 2016 class 509 was available to see how many students go in via ED.

You're pretty familiar with VA, right? Anecdotally, do you have a feel for which regions in VA most W&M grads end up in?

Yeah I am. W&M has great placement throughout the state and is decent in Carolina from what I've seen. The majority of people I know that went there now practice in either the Hampton roads or Richmond metro region, which makes sense since w and m is the closest T1 to Hampton/Newport news/va beach and since it's the best non T14 in the state so it naturally places well in the markets that UVA grads tend to shy away from (wrongly I think, Richmond is amazing, but I'm extremely biased). I haven't heard much about thier placement in northern VA, but I'd imagine there may be more competition for those jobs with DC, Maryland, and even T14 schools. For whatever reason(mostly the high paying jobs) people find nova desirable.

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:35 pm

amberb94 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:

Yeah, it's kinda weird - I'm currently the 2nd most on LSN (sure that'll change) only behind a 175/4.15 or something - if that means I'm gonna punch above my number's this cycle I'm all for it! Had a nice note about my building of an "Impressive record or achievement" on my admissions letter. Don't know if my softs weighed in any more than usual here for any reason.

amberb94

Bronze

Postby amberb94 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
amberb94 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:

Yeah, it's kinda weird - I'm currently the 2nd most on LSN (sure that'll change) only behind a 175/4.15 or something - if that means I'm gonna punch above my number's this cycle I'm all for it! Had a nice note about my building of an "Impressive record or achievement" on my admissions letter. Don't know if my softs weighed in any more than usual here for any reason.

Yeah I got a note like that too. I mean my scholly is basically the same. I got 25k a year. Just kinda confused lol. Congrats though!

taxman14

Silver

Postby taxman14 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:53 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
amberb94 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:

Are you referring to me?

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:06 pm

taxman14 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
amberb94 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:

Are you referring to me?

On LSN? Idk, that account has Khaleesi in its name. Haven't creeped this thread enough to know if you posted earlier here :|

youknowsimone

New

Postby youknowsimone » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:43 pm

Hey, folks. I just received my admissions packet in the mail today. My acceptance letter included a nice handwritten note from the dean of admissions. My scholarship package was $36k per year, so paying $5k per year, the total cost of attending WM law school would be the rough equivalent of attending just one semester at my undergrad. Mind blown, and seriously happy, because I don't think I need to apply to any more safe schools for "leverage." Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Edit: for some reason, my LSN profile isn't showing up in the school lists, but my username is the same as it is here. Just in case you wanted to see my profile (164 LSAT/3.98 GPA)

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:57 pm

youknowsimone wrote:Hey, folks. I just received my admissions packet in the mail today. My acceptance letter included a nice handwritten note from the dean of admissions. My scholarship package was $36k per year, so paying $5k per year, the total cost of attending WM law school would be the rough equivalent of attending just one semester at my undergrad. Mind blown, and seriously happy, because I don't think I need to apply to any more safe schools for "leverage." Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Edit: for some reason, my LSN profile isn't showing up in the school lists, but my username is the same as it is here. Just in case you wanted to see my profile (164 LSAT/3.98 GPA)

Congrats!

taxman14

Silver

Postby taxman14 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:58 pm

Dodocogon wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
amberb94 wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:
Dodocogon wrote:

Are you referring to me?

On LSN? Idk, that account has Khaleesi in its name. Haven't creeped this thread enough to know if you posted earlier here :|

yep

Dodocogon

Silver

Postby Dodocogon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:52 am

youknowsimone wrote:Hey, folks. I just received my admissions packet in the mail today. My acceptance letter included a nice handwritten note from the dean of admissions. My scholarship package was $36k per year, so paying $5k per year, the total cost of attending WM law school would be the rough equivalent of attending just one semester at my undergrad. Mind blown, and seriously happy, because I don't think I need to apply to any more safe schools for "leverage." Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Nice! LSN didn't switch over to our cycle until like just this week, so most of our profiles were automatically in the 15-16 cycle - I found yours there. To fix it go to settings and click on Change Cycle, then you can go from there.

youknowsimone

New

Postby youknowsimone » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:56 am

Dodocogon wrote:Nice! LSN didn't switch over to our cycle until like just this week, so most of our profiles were automatically in the 15-16 cycle - I found yours there. To fix it go to settings and click on Change Cycle, then you can go from there.

Thank you! I think I'm successfully switched over now.

Giro423

Bronze

Postby Giro423 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:

I wonder if they have the option to make the e.d. scholly conditional...that would be sneaky.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:25 am

Anyone else apply via ED? I'm getting the feeling that we'll be waiting until January until they make the ED admit decisions. I suppose it's time to hibernate and wake up around January 15th.

Giro423

Bronze

Postby Giro423 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:35 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Anyone else apply via ED? I'm getting the feeling that we'll be waiting until January until they make the ED admit decisions. I suppose it's time to hibernate and wake up around January 15th.

I did as well, and yes I'm assuming they will wait until they have at least most of there ED pool to make decisions :/ good luck!

lonola

New

Postby lonola » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:00 am

In via email today, hopefully many others are hearing from them too

Tomthecat

New

Postby Tomthecat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:02 pm

lonola wrote:In via email today, hopefully many others are hearing from them too

Are you ED or RD?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Giro423 wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Anyone else apply via ED? I'm getting the feeling that we'll be waiting until January until they make the ED admit decisions. I suppose it's time to hibernate and wake up around January 15th.

I did as well, and yes I'm assuming they will wait until they have at least most of there ED pool to make decisions :/ good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you too! Maybe I'll see you in Williamsburg next year. What drew you to the school, if you don't mind me asking?

LSN shows a big wave of decisions went out today, so definitely looks like we're gonna be waiting 'til next year. C'est la vie.

Giro423

Bronze

Postby Giro423 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:28 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Giro423 wrote:

Thanks, good luck to you too! Maybe I'll see you in Williamsburg next year. What drew you to the school, if you don't mind me asking?

LSN shows a big wave of decisions went out today, so definitely looks like we're gonna be waiting 'til next year. C'est la vie.

I've been attracted to W&M for a long time. My family lives in Viriginia, and a couple friends of mine went there that spoke very highly of their experience. I've only visited the undergrad campus so far, but I was impressed with that. Williamsburg is a decent enough town, and close proximity to Richmond, DC, and the coast is nice. I know it holds a relatively good rep in the region, too. My numbers are right around the area where my ED is a toss up but I think I have a good shot at regular if nothing else. What about you?

lonola

New

Postby lonola » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:43 pm

Tomthecat wrote:
lonola wrote:In via email today, hopefully many others are hearing from them too

Are you ED or RD?

RD, submitted around thanksgiving

Tomthecat

New

Postby Tomthecat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:28 pm

lonola wrote:
Tomthecat wrote:

Are you ED or RD?

RD, submitted around thanksgiving

Congrats!! I submitted a couple days ago. Guess gonna wait for a while...

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:36 pm

Giro423 wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Giro423 wrote:

I've been attracted to W&M for a long time. My family lives in Viriginia, and a couple friends of mine went there that spoke very highly of their experience. I've only visited the undergrad campus so far, but I was impressed with that. Williamsburg is a decent enough town, and close proximity to Richmond, DC, and the coast is nice. I know it holds a relatively good rep in the region, too. My numbers are right around the area where my ED is a toss up but I think I have a good shot at regular if nothing else. What about you?

I kind of fell in love with the school when I began researching it last year. I don't have any ties to the area though or anything, so I visited the school plus Richmond in October. Loved the school after seeing it in person, liked Richmond and the other parts of VA I saw enough too to be okay with living there.

Giro423

Bronze

Postby Giro423 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:57 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Giro423 wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Giro423 wrote:

I kind of fell in love with the school when I began researching it last year. I don't have any ties to the area though or anything, so I visited the school plus Richmond in October. Loved the school after seeing it in person, liked Richmond and the other parts of VA I saw enough too to be okay with living there.

Nice, glad you liked it. Saw you got in to MN too I think? I did as well and I went to school at another college up there, so if ed doesn't work out for us perhaps I'll see ya up there.

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Postby SeanORaff33 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:16 am

Just got in! waiting on my packet in the mail. Just to confirm, Scholly info comes with the packet via snail mail, right?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?