Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:44 pm

[quote="proteinshake" ] [/quote]
generally, I would think that the harder it is to get biglaw at a school, the more competitive it will be.[/quote]

Do you know Georgetown's biglaw placement percentage?

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:46 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:[quote="proteinshake" ] [/quote]
generally, I would think that the harder it is to get biglaw at a school, the more competitive it will be.[/quote]

Do you know Georgetown's biglaw placement percentage?[/quote]

the Biglaw + Federal Clerk placement is 44%. Always include Fed Clerk percentage in your biglaw calculation since clerks usually go to biglaw after clerking.

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:47 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:[quote="proteinshake" ] [/quote]
generally, I would think that the harder it is to get biglaw at a school, the more competitive it will be.[/quote]

Do you know Georgetown's biglaw placement percentage?[/quote][/quote]
the Biglaw + Federal Clerk placement is 44%. Always include Fed Clerk percentage in your biglaw calculation since clerks usually go to biglaw after clerking.[/quote]


Did not know that, thanks!

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:[quote="proteinshake" ] [/quote]
generally, I would think that the harder it is to get biglaw at a school, the more competitive it will be.[/quote]

Do you know Georgetown's biglaw placement percentage?[/quote][/quote]
the Biglaw + Federal Clerk placement is 44%. Always include Fed Clerk percentage in your biglaw calculation since clerks usually go to biglaw after clerking.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Did not know that, thanks![/quote]

here's a helpful resource on BL + FC placement by school viewtopic.php?f=1&t=262376

hellomynameislaw

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hellomynameislaw » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:26 pm

Does anyone know what "completed" means on the status checker?

mp68

New
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:46 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mp68 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:40 pm

hellomynameislaw wrote:Does anyone know what "completed" means on the status checker?



If you apply ED, it means that you have started the three week window for a response. Otherwise, it means that the admissions office has verified they have all the parts of your application and it is ready for review.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Just got my acceptance letter to GULC this weekend! Woo!

Does anyone know when/if accepted students will be receiving more info? Right now the "accepted students" site is down (at least for me), so I'm wondering if I'll be getting anything in paper format to drool over.

tylergreenandgold

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tylergreenandgold » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:46 pm

Got an acceptance letter in the mail today!

User avatar
Assasindowntheavenue

Silver
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:50 pm

airwrecka wrote:Just got my acceptance letter to GULC this weekend! Woo!

Does anyone know when/if accepted students will be receiving more info? Right now the "accepted students" site is down (at least for me), so I'm wondering if I'll be getting anything in paper format to drool over.


Won't hear scholarship/financial aid stuff till next year I believe.

User avatar
cakerusk

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cakerusk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:19 pm

First acceptance! It's a top choice due to GULC's high ranked tax law program!! International applicant with 170 officially checking in :D

oliviaj_j

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:50 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby oliviaj_j » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:42 pm

cakerusk wrote:First acceptance! It's a top choice due to GULC's high ranked tax law program!! International applicant with 170 officially checking in :D


Wow, congrats!!! I am an international applicant who lives abroad, too. I am worried that it might take a month or two for me to know any news regarding decision because I live in Asia. Can I ask you which continent or country you received your acceptance mail in, if you don't mind?

User avatar
cakerusk

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cakerusk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:12 pm

oliviaj_j wrote:
cakerusk wrote:First acceptance! It's a top choice due to GULC's high ranked tax law program!! International applicant with 170 officially checking in :D


Wow, congrats!!! I am an international applicant who lives abroad, too. I am worried that it might take a month or two for me to know any news regarding decision because I live in Asia. Can I ask you which continent or country you received your acceptance mail in, if you don't mind?


Hi there! I actually live in Texas (I have a foreign undergrad degree and then moved here around 5 years ago) so I have a domestic mailing address. Sorry for giving you high hopes with my initial comment :( but hopefully you'll hear soon!!

oliviaj_j

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:50 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby oliviaj_j » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:15 pm

cakerusk wrote:
oliviaj_j wrote:
cakerusk wrote:First acceptance! It's a top choice due to GULC's high ranked tax law program!! International applicant with 170 officially checking in :D


Wow, congrats!!! I am an international applicant who lives abroad, too. I am worried that it might take a month or two for me to know any news regarding decision because I live in Asia. Can I ask you which continent or country you received your acceptance mail in, if you don't mind?


Hi there! I actually live in Texas (I have a foreign undergrad degree and then moved here around 5 years ago) so I have a domestic mailing address. Sorry for giving you high hopes with my initial comment :( but hopefully you'll hear soon!!


Thank you for your answer! :) Congratulations again for getting accepted to your top choice school and wish you have a good day!!

champagnepapi

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby champagnepapi » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:50 pm

also accepted today via mail (letter is dated 10/17), RD applicant to just the JD program. 169/3.6x, applied 9/15 and didn't received an interview offer or anything. can answer any more specific questions over PM!

User avatar
govlife

Bronze
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:41 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby govlife » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Congratulations everyone who got acceptances this weekend! I got an alumni interview invite, so better than nothing, but still waiting!

User avatar
SilverSurfer2020

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:50 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SilverSurfer2020 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:11 pm

champagnepapi wrote:also accepted today via mail (letter is dated 10/17), RD applicant to just the JD program. 169/3.6x, applied 9/15 and didn't received an interview offer or anything. can answer any more specific questions over PM!


I haven't heard back yet but I got four new Drake tracks and honestly I'm ok with that tradeoff!

atlantahoo

New
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby atlantahoo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:44 am

SilverSurfer2020 wrote:
champagnepapi wrote:also accepted today via mail (letter is dated 10/17), RD applicant to just the JD program. 169/3.6x, applied 9/15 and didn't received an interview offer or anything. can answer any more specific questions over PM!


I haven't heard back yet but I got four new Drake tracks and honestly I'm ok with that tradeoff!



+1, dude

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Ok...another application out the door this AM. Love DC and think three years at GULC would be a hell of a good outcome for my cycle.

fazzvm56

Bronze
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby fazzvm56 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Wanted to ED, but did regular. Above their 25% lsat, but below 50%, hoping applying early will have helped. Anyone know how they notify?

User avatar
call-me-bubbles

Bronze
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:46 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby call-me-bubbles » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:13 pm

.
Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaron1621

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby aaron1621 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:42 pm

Do ED applicants get responses through snail-mail too?

User avatar
call-me-bubbles

Bronze
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:46 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby call-me-bubbles » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:04 pm

.
Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsa16

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lsa16 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:13 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:Sorry to radically change the topic, but:

Recently accepted, and for a couple years now Georgetown has been my dream. I just love the vibe of DC, and I think it would be an incredible place to live and study. I know there are a lot of people who shit on GULC for their stats and employment outcomes relative to the rest of the T14. While I understand this criticism, I still can't help but imagine that GULC's location in DC and connections to government and NGOs makes it an inherently better option than some of the higher-ranked T14 (excluding YHS) for folks interested in PI, government, and policy work. In my mind, three years of law school in DC, with the ability to network "on the ground," would be a major leg up compared to someone with the same career aspirations who spends three years in, say, Ann Arbor, MI. I know this whole question is driven by confirmation bias, but is there anything to this line of thinking? Am I the only one on TLS who thinks GULC's location is worth something, despite the employment stats?

So far, I've also been accepted to UVA, which seems awesome and has solid stats, but I keep thinking to myself, "I just wish it were closer to DC..." (I know it's not that far, but still, it's not within [reasonable] commuting distance like Alexandria or Bethesda). Something about DC really has a hold on me, and I'm not sure how much I should take this into consideration when I ultimately make my decision about where to attend.


So my major interest is also policy and I've been accepted to UVA also, still waiting on the Georgetown decision. Everything is fair game to take into consideration as far as I am concerned. To me, UVA being in the top 10 versus top 14 makes a difference, but maybe that's just me being snobby - Georgetown actually has a lot of really amazing opportunities. I also would personally rather live in a smaller place like Cville and spend a summer or semester in DC, but if you love the city and know you would work really hard to take advantage of the professional networking opportunities, you do you. Your actions during law school will help decide which side of the employment statistics you end up on, after all. The other reason why I am leaning toward UVA (assuming I end up having the choice) is that I am more confident about scholarship money there since they seem to be more generous and living expenses wouldn't be as intense I imagine. But if money isn't an issue then again, you do you if you just love DC.

CenterFringe

Bronze
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby CenterFringe » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:32 pm

lsa16 wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:Sorry to radically change the topic, but:

Recently accepted, and for a couple years now Georgetown has been my dream. I just love the vibe of DC, and I think it would be an incredible place to live and study. I know there are a lot of people who shit on GULC for their stats and employment outcomes relative to the rest of the T14. While I understand this criticism, I still can't help but imagine that GULC's location in DC and connections to government and NGOs makes it an inherently better option than some of the higher-ranked T14 (excluding YHS) for folks interested in PI, government, and policy work. In my mind, three years of law school in DC, with the ability to network "on the ground," would be a major leg up compared to someone with the same career aspirations who spends three years in, say, Ann Arbor, MI. I know this whole question is driven by confirmation bias, but is there anything to this line of thinking? Am I the only one on TLS who thinks GULC's location is worth something, despite the employment stats?

So far, I've also been accepted to UVA, which seems awesome and has solid stats, but I keep thinking to myself, "I just wish it were closer to DC..." (I know it's not that far, but still, it's not within [reasonable] commuting distance like Alexandria or Bethesda). Something about DC really has a hold on me, and I'm not sure how much I should take this into consideration when I ultimately make my decision about where to attend.


So my major interest is also policy and I've been accepted to UVA also, still waiting on the Georgetown decision. Everything is fair game to take into consideration as far as I am concerned. To me, UVA being in the top 10 versus top 14 makes a difference, but maybe that's just me being snobby - Georgetown actually has a lot of really amazing opportunities. I also would personally rather live in a smaller place like Cville and spend a summer or semester in DC, but if you love the city and know you would work really hard to take advantage of the professional networking opportunities, you do you. Your actions during law school will help decide which side of the employment statistics you end up on, after all. The other reason why I am leaning toward UVA (assuming I end up having the choice) is that I am more confident about scholarship money there since they seem to be more generous and living expenses wouldn't be as intense I imagine. But if money isn't an issue then again, you do you if you just love DC.


I just posted a choosing Law Schools post because I'm in a similar dilemma, given my specific interest in policy/fed work. I'm incredibly torn, but people keep telling me if your not going big law, it's a wash. *shrug*

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 793
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:36 pm

How are you PI guys planning on paying off your debts in T14? It just seems crazy to me.

There are a lot of things I rather do than biglaw, but it just seems impossible with the student debt I would probably be graduating with.

LRAP does not seem substantial at all. You're still paying it off and living under debt for a long time.

Meanwhile, my own pride won't let me take a prospective full ride at a non-T14. You only get one shot with your chosen career education.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests