Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alpinespring

New

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby alpinespring » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:59 pm

onecallthats all wrote:Is there really any difference between the Preferred WL and the regular WL?

Also, what are my chances (if any) of getting off the preferred WL?

Just got Preferred WL this weekend..... :(

Don't lose hope. I've seen plenty of people get off the Preferred WL. You've worked so hard for this your entire life. Send them the most unique, most convincing, and most compelling LOCI they've ever got and come back to us with your acceptance letter.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:34 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:Anyone know if the commute from Baltimore to Georgetown would be doable? I know it isn't ideal, but wondering if it's realistic.

Are you talking about commuting on a daily basis? If so, I would say its doable but inconvenient. The MARC train is great (a lot nicer/cleaner than the metro) but you're still stuck to the set MARC schedule, you're looking at $14 a day round trip, and it might hamper with your ability to stay on campus later in the evening. I had a colleague who did it, and the commute was close to an hour each day, which is manageable if you're working a 9-5 job but not when you need to study, too. Plus, while it doesn't happen often, delays on the MARC train are hellish, and worse than what I've experienced on the DC metro.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks, Alpine.

Just submitted my PILS app. Did anyone else spend an INORDINATE length of time on TWO, 300-word essays? Lord almighty, that was rough for me. I guess perhaps it's because I want this so badly that I'm willing to slice my own skin off and wear it to my own funeral in exchange for the PILS full ride.

On that note, have a good day, everyone!

onecallthats all

Bronze

Postby onecallthats all » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:17 pm

EWofNell wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:Is there really any difference between the Preferred WL and the regular WL?

Very sorry to hear :/

Did you hear by e-mail or by snail mail?

Also... did you interview?

I found out from Email. I applied 1/4. And no I did not interview, it was never requested. I would have been happy to!

onecallthats all

Bronze

Postby onecallthats all » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:19 pm

alpinespring wrote:

Don't lose hope. I've seen plenty of people get off the Preferred WL. You've worked so hard for this your entire life. Send them the most unique, most convincing, and most compelling LOCI they've ever got and come back to us with your acceptance letter.

I appreciate that man. Seriously, your encouragement is keeping me going. I will keep you updated. Is one LOCI a month too much??

wildquest8200

Bronze

Postby wildquest8200 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:49 pm

In via ASW trick literally just now, interviewed last week in NYC
YAY

simplypara588

New

Postby simplypara588 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:53 pm

wildquest8200 wrote:In via ASW trick literally just now, interviewed last week in NYC
YAY

Congrats!! Does anyone know if applicants from the same group interview day usually all get in on the same day? Or is there still hope for those who interviewed in NYC last week and still aren't in via ASW?

jurisdoctor2020

New

Postby jurisdoctor2020 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:12 pm

I got in too today via ASW. Did alumni interview via phone first week of February.

kostling

New

Postby kostling » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:14 pm

Is anyone else out there who was held waiting to hear back? They are supposed to let us know by tomorrow so I am getting really nervous/excited.

utnyc44

New

Postby utnyc44 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:51 pm

simplypara588 wrote:
wildquest8200 wrote:In via ASW trick literally just now, interviewed last week in NYC
YAY

Congrats!! Does anyone know if applicants from the same group interview day usually all get in on the same day? Or is there still hope for those who interviewed in NYC last week and still aren't in via ASW?

Wondering the same thing (but for Dallas).

PS - Congrats! (I'm jealous!)

StopLawying

Silver

Postby StopLawying » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:54 pm

kostling wrote:Is anyone else out there who was held waiting to hear back? They are supposed to let us know by tomorrow so I am getting really nervous/excited.

Did you try ASW trick? If it works you're in.
If not, sorry to tell you, but you probably got waitlisted/dinged. I was a held applicant myself and I've seen very few people get accepted. Good luck though!

jfo13

New

Postby jfo13 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:53 pm

In desperate need of some insight! I was a relatively late applicant (app submitted on 2/16). I received my status-check login on 2/17 and since my status says "Application Complete" (though I'm not sure what day this status was updated).

My question is, what was everyone's relative timeline after this point? How long should I expect to wait for an interview invitation (hopefully)? When did you guys get your final decision? (interview or not)

Any help would be super appreciated, I'm dyin over here :shock:

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:56 pm

jfo13 wrote:In desperate need of some insight! I was a relatively late applicant (app submitted on 2/16). I received my status-check login on 2/17 and since my status says "Application Complete" (though I'm not sure what day this status was updated).

My question is, what was everyone's relative timeline after this point? How long should I expect to wait for an interview invitation (hopefully)? When did you guys get your final decision? (interview or not)

Any help would be super appreciated, I'm dyin over here :shock:

They don't update their status checker at GULC, just an FYI. But for me, complete 12/1, in 1/13 via admitted students website trick and letter a few days later with that date. No interview. Median LSAT, GPA > 75th. Best of luck!

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Postby BostonOrBust » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 am

tuesdayninja wrote:Invited to group interview this Wednesday! From what I've read it seems chill? Anything I should prepare for besides why law/GULC?

Out of curiosity, what city? I have fallen to stalker level and am stalking Dean Cornblatt... trying to figure out where he is to determing if he might be coming to my city soon for another round of groups and maybe that's why I'm not hearing anything. Wishful thinking, I'm sure.

onecallthats all

Bronze

Postby onecallthats all » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:23 am

Is there really any difference between the Preferred WL and the Regular WL??

Thanks!

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:38 am

BostonOrBust wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:Invited to group interview this Wednesday! From what I've read it seems chill? Anything I should prepare for besides why law/GULC?

Out of curiosity, what city? I have fallen to stalker level and am stalking Dean Cornblatt... trying to figure out where he is to determing if he might be coming to my city soon for another round of groups and maybe that's why I'm not hearing anything. Wishful thinking, I'm sure.

Chicago! It's apparently a video conference though

alpinespring

New

Postby alpinespring » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:58 am

Here's my Gtown interview Yelp review:

GPA>75 LSAT >75, non-URM, significant WE.

Met my interviewer at his firm's opulent/gorgeous office (he's pretty high up in his firm and super successful).

Told me straight up: "Honestly, unless you really, really screw this up, this interview won't really affect your chances. I'm just here to tell you more about Georgetown and answer any questions you might have."

Yeah right.

This guy probably bills 800$ an hour. I'm pretty sure he has nothing to gain from talking to a worthless temp like me. So why would he commit his precious resource ($$$, time, risk of meeting psychopaths, etc) to interviewing prospective Georgetown applicants? I thought there was a very good chance that he might actually care about what new crop of lawyers his beloved school produces.

And right after that warm, put-your-guard-down opener, the very first question contained a trap. Of course, I could be over-thinking this, but basically it was the kind of question that you could easily get emotional about (EXTREME example: asking an undocumented applicant what he thinks about ICE agents deporting immigrants). My interviewer's question was nowhere close to being that volatile, but given my ethnic background, I think I could have easily fallen for it.

But as someone who gets paid to analyze how people talk, I immediately got the sense that he was testing my temperament/character/patience. Had I fallen for his trap and ranted out my frustration, how could he possibly recommend such an emotionally unstable person to Gtown? This is of course just my subjective opinion, but that's the sense I got.

Though I didn't fall for (what I think was) the trap, I did answer truthfully, and my answer was something that if people of my ethnic group heard, they might not so feel good about it (EXTREME example: a Hispanic applicant explaining why he supports Trump and how DACA should be immediately repealed, etc etc). Once again, my answer was NOWHERE that extreme but I think you get the gist.

I got the sense that, as a senior partner/respected member in the legal community who's seen hundreds, if not thousands, of lawyers (good & bad) over the years -- the last thing he'd want to see was another sleek-haired liar. Plus, I'm pretty sure a man of his position has some amazing BS-detector built into his brain so I didn't even think about trying to play him.

Anyways, I think being honest really helped to establish rapport/connection, as he began to open up and talk about his personal struggle, etc. So he pretty much talked 70% of the time.

Overall, it was a very warm, not-so-bad interview.

Here's what I gather (purely speculative, fake news) about the Alumni interview and the interviewers:

1) They don't seem have access to your Personal Statement or other parts of the app (interviewer asked me what my ethnicity was).

2) Gtown isn't so happy about higher pay-grade applicants choosing higher-ranked T14 schools, so I think they may be utilizing Alumni Interview to gauge your genuine interest in Gtown and to also promote Gtown.

3) Don't EVER let your guard down -- even when HE/SHE specifically tells you to. I could tell he was watching my manners/etiquette each moment of the way.

4) My interviewer didn't even bring a pen and notepad to the interview room (just my resume). I think this says a lot about the nature/purpose of the interview.

Overall -- 100% subjective -- I think I was offered the interview 1) To check that I'm not a psycho (my PS was bat-shit crazy) 2) To gauge my genuine interest in Georgetown and 3) To "sell" Georgetown to me as a prospective student.

I'm so grateful to Georgetown for offering me this interview and to my interviewer who agreed to talk to a worthless temp like me lol.

I genuinely believe that Georgetown deeply cares about building its student/alumni community and I walked away from the interview with renewed affection and admiration for all that Georgetown stands and the wonderful work its alumni perform all around the world. Go Georgetown!

Lifeshouldbehappy

New

Postby Lifeshouldbehappy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:18 am

alpinespring wrote:Here's my Gtown interview Yelp review:

Met my interviewer at his firm's opulent/gorgeous office (he's pretty high up in his firm and super successful).

Told me straight up: "Honestly, unless you really, really screw this up, this interview won't really affect your chances. I'm just here to tell you more about Georgetown and answer any questions you might have."

Yeah right.

This guy probably bills 800$ an hour. I'm pretty sure he has nothing to gain from talking to a worthless temp like me. So why would he commit his precious resource ($$$, time, risk of meeting psychopaths, etc) to interviewing prospective Georgetown applicants? I thought there was a very good chance that he might actually care about what new crop of lawyers his beloved school produces.

And right after that warm, put-your-guard-down opener, the very first question contained a trap. Of course, I could be over-thinking this, but basically it was the kind of question that you could easily get emotional about (EXTREME example: asking an undocumented applicant what he thinks about ICE agents deporting immigrants). My interviewer's question was nowhere close to being that volatile, but given my ethnic background, I think I could have easily fallen for it.

But as someone who gets paid to analyze how people talk, I immediately got the sense that he was testing my temperament/character/patience. Had I fallen for his trap and ranted out my frustration, how could he possibly recommend such an emotionally unstable person to Gtown? This is of course just my subjective opinion, but that's the sense I got.

Though I didn't fall for (what I think was) the trap, I did answer truthfully, and my answer was something that if people of my ethnic group heard, they might not so feel good about it (EXTREME example: a Hispanic applicant explaining why he supports Trump and how DACA should be immediately repealed, etc etc). Once again, my answer was NOWHERE that extreme but I think you get the gist.

I got the sense that, as a senior partner/respected member in the legal community who's seen hundreds, if not thousands, of lawyers (good & bad) over the years -- the last thing he'd want to see was another sleek-haired liar. Plus, I'm pretty sure a man of his position has some amazing BS-detector built into his brain so I didn't even think about trying to play him.

Anyways, I think being honest really helped to establish rapport/connection, as he began to open up and talk about his personal struggle, etc. So he pretty much talked 70% of the time.

Here's what I gather (purely speculative, fake news) about the Alumni interview and the interviewers:

1) They don't seem have access to your Personal Statement or other parts of the app (interviewer asked me what my ethnicity was).

2) Gtown isn't so happy about higher pay-grade applicants choosing higher-ranked T14 schools, so I think they may be utilizing Alumni Interview to gauge your genuine interest in Gtown and to also promote Gtown.

3) Don't EVER let your guard down -- even when HE/SHE specifically tells you to. I could tell he was watching my manners/etiquette each moment of the way.

4) My interviewer didn't even bring a pen and notepad to the interview room (just my resume). I think this says a lot about the nature/purpose of the interview.

Overall -- 100% subjective -- I think I was offered the interview 1) To check that I'm not a psycho (my PS was bat-shit crazy) 2) To gauge my genuine interest in Georgetown and 3) To "sell" Georgetown to me as a prospective student.

I'm so grateful to Georgetown for offering me this interview and to my interviewer who agreed to talk to a worthless temp like me lol.

I genuinely believe that Georgetown deeply cares about building its student/alumni community and I walked away from the interview with renewed affection and admiration for all that Georgetown stands and the wonderful work its alumni perform all around the world. Go Georgetown!

Go Georgetown :)

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 am

Yeah right.

What did I just read? :shock:

charles117

Bronze

Postby charles117 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:39 am

Yeah right.

hi dean cornblatt

Zipman

New

Postby Zipman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:37 am

Denied last Friday w 171 and a 3.3-3.4. Late app. Pretty let down, not sure why I didn't even pull a WL.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Postby ZVBXRPL » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:36 am

YAY

Your lucky. Im still waiting... Pres day interview was chill, no?

wildquest8200

Bronze

Postby wildquest8200 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:45 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:
YAY

Your lucky. Im still waiting... Pres day interview was chill, no?

i thought so!!

Word1

New

Postby Word1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:52 am

RamTitan wrote:Checking in, but I'd be nervous to go to Georgetown; I've heard that the DC hiring market is crazy competitive due to the influx of students from other schools who end up working there. Also have heard that Georgetown is cutthroat as hell

Wow, this is totally not true.

1) DC market is kind of tough for Big Law (like you should be in top 50% if you have nothing else going for you resume-wise), but Georgetown places very well in NY for people at the bottom half of the class. Georgetown is the best school in DC and easily outpaces applicants from other schools.

2) Certainly not cutthroat.

-3L at GULC

Word1

New

Postby Word1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:54 am

Admitted Veterans or WL Veterans

Hey, I am a 3L at GULC and President of the Military Law Society at Georgetown. If you are a veteran (U.S. or Foreign) admitted or WL to GULC feel free to contact me with any questions or for anything else. My email is eew41@georgetown.edu.

Eli Albrecht (3L GULC)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?