Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lilo93

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:01 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Lilo93 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:09 am

Did anyone else have a negative alumni interview?

I interviewed earlier this week and my interviewer spoke to me for over an hour, but at times I felt like I was being grilled and every answer I gave was unsuitable. It was very stress provoking and not as conversational as I would have liked. I was asked about various legal issues and philosophical questions. Every time I gave an answer, she would basically disregard it, and ask me the same question in a more convoluted way. I don't know if she was just trying to play devils advocate, but it put a lot of pressure on me to change what I was saying. I was just surprised because all of my other interviews were very positive and were with deans/admissions. I expected an alumni interview to be a lot less tense.

User avatar
jessmeesh

Bronze
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jessmeesh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:20 am

Lilo93 wrote:Did anyone else have a negative alumni interview?

I interviewed earlier this week and my interviewer spoke to me for over an hour, but at times I felt like I was being grilled and every answer I gave was unsuitable. It was very stress provoking and not as conversational as I would have liked. I was asked about various legal issues and philosophical questions. Every time I gave an answer, she would basically disregard it, and ask me the same question in a more convoluted way. I don't know if she was just trying to play devils advocate, but it put a lot of pressure on me to change what I was saying. I was just surprised because all of my other interviews were very positive and were with deans/admissions. I expected an alumni interview to be a lot less tense.



My interviewer was very ill prepared. He clearly had never even glanced at my resume or application materials and didn't questions ready. I had thought it would be a skype interview - I gave GULC my skype ID - but he called my cell. And I'm 95% sure he was rolling out of bed while he was talking to me. Oh, and he asked me if I was on TLS. I was a weird experience.

Lifeshouldbehappy

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:40 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Lifeshouldbehappy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:16 am

Lilo93 wrote:Did anyone else have a negative alumni interview?

I interviewed earlier this week and my interviewer spoke to me for over an hour, but at times I felt like I was being grilled and every answer I gave was unsuitable. It was very stress provoking and not as conversational as I would have liked. I was asked about various legal issues and philosophical questions. Every time I gave an answer, she would basically disregard it, and ask me the same question in a more convoluted way. I don't know if she was just trying to play devils advocate, but it put a lot of pressure on me to change what I was saying. I was just surprised because all of my other interviews were very positive and were with deans/admissions. I expected an alumni interview to be a lot less tense.

Hi, Lilo. I wouldn't worry too much about it because I believe an alumni interview depends on each interviewer. Although mine was very positive, I also had very challenging questions as my interviewer kept delving deeper on what I said earlier and he also had me talk about my opinions on political scenarios, like what I would do in this situation and such. Mine also went over an hour, but I felt really comfortable after the interview because regardless of how the interviewer thought about me, I made sure I was both honest and explicit in my opinions. I was admitted just yesterday, about two weeks after my interview. I was ED. Just be patient with your decision. It will come out soon. Good luck!

Zipman

New
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:22 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Zipman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:31 pm

If I haven't gotten an interview invite after being complete since early Jan, is that necessarily bad? Do most people who are admitted interview first? I'm +75LSAT, -25GPA splitting here.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Zipman wrote:If I haven't gotten an interview invite after being complete since early Jan, is that necessarily bad? Do most people who are admitted interview first? I'm +75LSAT, -25GPA splitting here.

Admitted without an interview

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:01 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Zipman wrote:If I haven't gotten an interview invite after being complete since early Jan, is that necessarily bad? Do most people who are admitted interview first? I'm +75LSAT, -25GPA splitting here.

Admitted without an interview

+1

BostonOrBust

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:25 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BostonOrBust » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Christinabruin wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
Zipman wrote:If I haven't gotten an interview invite after being complete since early Jan, is that necessarily bad? Do most people who are admitted interview first? I'm +75LSAT, -25GPA splitting here.

Admitted without an interview

+1


For you "admitted without an interview" folks-- mind sharing stats, URM status, etc?

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:29 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:For you "admitted without an interview" folks-- mind sharing stats, URM status, etc?


PM'ed!

MrSam

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:10 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MrSam » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Ugh...starting to get worried. Interviewed over a week ago, and still haven't heard back. From what I've gathered, most who ended up being accepted post-interview, had interviewed less than a week prior to their acceptance.

User avatar
amberb94

Bronze
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby amberb94 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:04 pm

I am slightly concerned that applying so late in the cycle will hurt my chances here. It looks like most of the recent decisions on LSN were rejects/waitlists.

User avatar
chandhi

Gold
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chandhi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:19 pm

MrSam wrote:Ugh...starting to get worried. Interviewed over a week ago, and still haven't heard back. From what I've gathered, most who ended up being accepted post-interview, had interviewed less than a week prior to their acceptance.

Same but at least we didn't get dinged or waitlisted in the recent massacre.

LawTweet

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LawTweet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Anyone know about the PILS timeline? I'm crossing my fingers for a nomination.

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:42 pm

amberb94 wrote:I am slightly concerned that applying so late in the cycle will hurt my chances here. It looks like most of the recent decisions on LSN were rejects/waitlists.

If anything, applying late will hurt less at GULC than at other T14's, since the deadline is March 1 and February scores are accepted. There will likely be more rejects/waitlists released around the application deadline when the applicant pool is set.

ZVBXRPL

Silver
Posts: 586
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ZVBXRPL » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 pm

How do scholarships work?

I heard everyone gets some sort of feeler email...?

User avatar
amberb94

Bronze
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby amberb94 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:28 am

goldenbear2020 wrote:
amberb94 wrote:I am slightly concerned that applying so late in the cycle will hurt my chances here. It looks like most of the recent decisions on LSN were rejects/waitlists.

If anything, applying late will hurt less at GULC than at other T14's, since the deadline is March 1 and February scores are accepted. There will likely be more rejects/waitlists released around the application deadline when the applicant pool is set.


This makes me feel a bit better. Thanks!

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:43 am

Finished with an alum interview. Very pleasant experience. The alum had graduated a decade and a half ago. She talked about the positives of GULC, asked me the basic questions. Generally like a conversation. Quite a lot of common stuff to talk about. Lasted 45 minutes. The interview was feel good with generally positive vibes. Made sure I told her gulc is a top choice.

patttt

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby patttt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:07 am

jessmeesh wrote:
Lilo93 wrote:Did anyone else have a negative alumni interview?

I interviewed earlier this week and my interviewer spoke to me for over an hour, but at times I felt like I was being grilled and every answer I gave was unsuitable. It was very stress provoking and not as conversational as I would have liked. I was asked about various legal issues and philosophical questions. Every time I gave an answer, she would basically disregard it, and ask me the same question in a more convoluted way. I don't know if she was just trying to play devils advocate, but it put a lot of pressure on me to change what I was saying. I was just surprised because all of my other interviews were very positive and were with deans/admissions. I expected an alumni interview to be a lot less tense.



My interviewer was very ill prepared. He clearly had never even glanced at my resume or application materials and didn't questions ready. I had thought it would be a skype interview - I gave GULC my skype ID - but he called my cell. And I'm 95% sure he was rolling out of bed while he was talking to me. Oh, and he asked me if I was on TLS. I was a weird experience.


+1. My interrviewer even trashed the school itself and said he disliked the student body while he was a student there.

Mikey

Platinum
Posts: 8047
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:40 am

patttt wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:
Lilo93 wrote:Did anyone else have a negative alumni interview?

I interviewed earlier this week and my interviewer spoke to me for over an hour, but at times I felt like I was being grilled and every answer I gave was unsuitable. It was very stress provoking and not as conversational as I would have liked. I was asked about various legal issues and philosophical questions. Every time I gave an answer, she would basically disregard it, and ask me the same question in a more convoluted way. I don't know if she was just trying to play devils advocate, but it put a lot of pressure on me to change what I was saying. I was just surprised because all of my other interviews were very positive and were with deans/admissions. I expected an alumni interview to be a lot less tense.



My interviewer was very ill prepared. He clearly had never even glanced at my resume or application materials and didn't questions ready. I had thought it would be a skype interview - I gave GULC my skype ID - but he called my cell. And I'm 95% sure he was rolling out of bed while he was talking to me. Oh, and he asked me if I was on TLS. I was a weird experience.


+1. My interrviewer even trashed the school itself and said he disliked the student body while he was a student there.

That's pretty unprofessional.. Wtf

patttt

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby patttt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:55 am

Mikey wrote:
patttt wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:
Lilo93 wrote:Did anyone else have a negative alumni interview?

I interviewed earlier this week and my interviewer spoke to me for over an hour, but at times I felt like I was being grilled and every answer I gave was unsuitable. It was very stress provoking and not as conversational as I would have liked. I was asked about various legal issues and philosophical questions. Every time I gave an answer, she would basically disregard it, and ask me the same question in a more convoluted way. I don't know if she was just trying to play devils advocate, but it put a lot of pressure on me to change what I was saying. I was just surprised because all of my other interviews were very positive and were with deans/admissions. I expected an alumni interview to be a lot less tense.



My interviewer was very ill prepared. He clearly had never even glanced at my resume or application materials and didn't questions ready. I had thought it would be a skype interview - I gave GULC my skype ID - but he called my cell. And I'm 95% sure he was rolling out of bed while he was talking to me. Oh, and he asked me if I was on TLS. I was a weird experience.


+1. My interrviewer even trashed the school itself and said he disliked the student body while he was a student there.

That's pretty unprofessional.. Wtf


Yep. I didnt even know what to say to his answers to some of my questions ... Like thats cool I guess? Idk

ilovewestworld

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ilovewestworld » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:18 am

MrSam wrote:Ugh...starting to get worried. Interviewed over a week ago, and still haven't heard back. From what I've gathered, most who ended up being accepted post-interview, had interviewed less than a week prior to their acceptance.


Don't be worried! I got in via snail mail yesterday approx three weeks after my interview. I think that's pretty common, esp w/snail mail.

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1430
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:22 am

ilovewestworld wrote:
MrSam wrote:Ugh...starting to get worried. Interviewed over a week ago, and still haven't heard back. From what I've gathered, most who ended up being accepted post-interview, had interviewed less than a week prior to their acceptance.


Don't be worried! I got in via snail mail yesterday approx three weeks after my interview. I think that's pretty common, esp w/snail mail.


Yeah, I wouldn't be worried. I interviewed at least 3 weeks ago, and still haven't gotten in (or dinged), but I've gotten into all the other T14s I've heard back from so far. I think they're just a little longer on the draw bc of so many applications

mangoluvr

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mangoluvr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am

MrSam wrote:Ugh...starting to get worried. Interviewed over a week ago, and still haven't heard back. From what I've gathered, most who ended up being accepted post-interview, had interviewed less than a week prior to their acceptance.


I interviewed on 1/30 and received my acceptance letter via snail mail this past weekend. The letter was dated February 13.

turkeyncheese

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby turkeyncheese » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am

Is it safe to assume ding/WL if ED deferred to regular admission? They said we would receive a decision no later than Feb 28 but if that decision is 'admitted' then they would have to be sending out the letters this week right? And if the ASW trick isn't working then that means that they haven't sent a letter... :?

robertmoses

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:29 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby robertmoses » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Does dean cornblatt email everyone after the group interviews or is that a good sign?

User avatar
greenbean

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby greenbean » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:31 pm

I got in a few days ago after being "held" for over a month.

I feel obliged to report this odd turnaround despite being a lazy lurker... Applied before Thanksgiving - pleasant alumni interview early December - dead silence - hold email mid January. I lost all my hopes but then got in via snail mail a few days ago with a handwritten note about how my interviewer had awesome remarks about our interview. Stats: LSAT +75%, GPA ++75%, international, +5 yrs out of college. My guess is that they may have a minority quota and they filled my pool early in the cycle but I don't know for sure.

Good luck with your upcoming interviews and scholly negotiations!
Last edited by greenbean on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests