Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RParadela

Silver

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RParadela » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:Just denied. Not even waitlisted. Applied in November with a 166/3.9 and just got a 173 on the December lsat. Had an ok alumni interview in December. Anyone have any insight?

Hmmm.....

Bad News: Could be something about your application...because those are definitely the numbers to get into GULC, let alone waitlist.

Good News: Forget GULC, with that 173 you'll open 13 more doors :D

Even if you have something in your application, a 173 and 3.9 should override any concern short of being a convicted felon

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:39 pm

RParadela wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:Just denied. Not even waitlisted. Applied in November with a 166/3.9 and just got a 173 on the December lsat. Had an ok alumni interview in December. Anyone have any insight?

Hmmm.....

Bad News: Could be something about your application...because those are definitely the numbers to get into GULC, let alone waitlist.

Even if you have something in your application, a 173 and 3.9 should override any concern short of being a convicted felon

My guess is that they made their decision and the email was waiting in queue before OP provided updated score. They just didn't bother to go back into their ding file.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Postby CPA-->JD » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:42 pm

RParadela wrote:

Hmmm.....

lol squeaky clean past. I guess I'll email them but doubt they respond to denied applicants.
Sure hope it's not something in my application...

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:43 pm

CPA-->JD wrote:
RParadela wrote:

Really...? I'd email them immediately and ask about it. 173 and a 3.9 is Harvard-level numbers

Is it possible they didn't see my new score? What should I email them and have you ever heard of them reversing a decision? Don't want to waste anyone's time...

Maybe you could just ask if they saw your updated score prior to making the decision, but I'm not sure if the 166 would've led to a denial either....

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:44 pm

RParadela wrote:

Hmmm.....

Meh, I don't think that's necessarily true.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:19 am

brinicolec wrote:
RParadela wrote:

Hmmm.....

In the last 6 years, no one with a 3.9 and a 173 has been straight up rejected at Georgetown according to LSN (sample size of 45 applicants).

I'd certainly email and at least inquire about things

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Postby CPA-->JD » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:31 am

RParadela wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
RParadela wrote:

Hmmm.....

In the last 6 years, no one with a 3.9 and a 173 has been straight up rejected at Georgetown according to LSN (sample size of 45 applicants).

I'd certainly email and at least inquire about things

Lucky me. I emailed them but not expecting a response. I really hope there isn't anything horribly wrong with my application...

Has anyone been denied yet this year or was this the first wave?

victorwuyu

New

Postby victorwuyu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:18 am

Reid-Bailey wrote:
magdalena92 wrote:I was placed on the preferred waitlist... anyone know what that really means? No decision till this summer?

I'm confused. How can you tell? Mine didn't even mention the words waitlist.

They said: "Each year, a large number of candidates submit applications to Georgetown Law early in the process. The high quality of this group makes the Committee's decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted."

Is this preferred waitlist?

Were you applied for early decision ? If so, this probably means you are deferred, not waitlisted.

Reid-Bailey

New

Postby Reid-Bailey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:20 pm

victorwuyu wrote:
Reid-Bailey wrote:
magdalena92 wrote:I was placed on the preferred waitlist... anyone know what that really means? No decision till this summer?

I'm confused. How can you tell? Mine didn't even mention the words waitlist.

They said: "Each year, a large number of candidates submit applications to Georgetown Law early in the process. The high quality of this group makes the Committee's decisions extremely difficult. Please be aware that only a small number of early applicants have their applications held, and a number of those applicants in past years have subsequently been admitted."

Is this preferred waitlist?

Were you applied for early decision ? If so, this probably means you are deferred, not waitlisted.

No I did not apply ED. I've done some looking around the internet and it seems like Georgetown will postpone a decision on just a few applications to get a better sense of their applicant pool but it is not their waitlist. Apparently this has happened to me.

jlc058

Bronze

Postby jlc058 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Did anyone receive the email reaching out to have the opportunity to apply for the public interest scholarship? Apparently you have to be invited this year instead of just submitting an application

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:23 pm

jlc058 wrote:Did anyone receive the email reaching out to have the opportunity to apply for the public interest scholarship? Apparently you have to be invited this year instead of just submitting an application

Didn't; there's an email officially going out with the invitation to apply? I didn't know.

Funny, I just emailed them about the scholarship today.

jlc058

Bronze

Postby jlc058 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 pm

mm2368 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:Did anyone receive the email reaching out to have the opportunity to apply for the public interest scholarship? Apparently you have to be invited this year instead of just submitting an application

Didn't; there's an email officially going out with the invitation to apply? I didn't know.

Yeah-previously the website had said check back here for the application we are getting it ready, so I have been checking periodically since I applied. Then when I went to look today it said:

"Beginning with the class entering in 2017, there is no general PILS application. Rather, admitted applicants with extensive public service experience and a demonstrated commitment to pursuing a public interest legal career will be invited to submit a brief application detailing their interest in becoming a PILS. The PILS Selection Committee will review these applications and choose a number of semi-finalists to be interviewed via Skype by the PILS Director and current PILS members. Final selections will be made beginning in late February or early March. "

I didnt know if since the final selections were going to be made in February that I should assume the emails had already gone out

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:41 pm

jlc058 wrote:
[+] Spoiler
mm2368 wrote:

Yeah-previously the website had said check back here for the application we are getting it ready, so I have been checking periodically since I applied. Then when I went to look today it said:

"Beginning with the class entering in 2017, there is no general PILS application. Rather, admitted applicants with extensive public service experience and a demonstrated commitment to pursuing a public interest legal career will be invited to submit a brief application detailing their interest in becoming a PILS. The PILS Selection Committee will review these applications and choose a number of semi-finalists to be interviewed via Skype by the PILS Director and current PILS members. Final selections will be made beginning in late February or early March. "

I didnt know if since the final selections were going to be made in February that I should assume the emails had already gone out

Right, I realize that they changed the process for PILS selection this year but I was thinking they'd sent out those emails in late Jan/early Feb. Not sure, but I did ask today so let's see if they reply to my email!

heyya0909

New

Postby heyya0909 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Just did the ASW trick.... and it worked!!!!! I think this means that I'm in.
Extreme reverse splitter. PM for stats.

tsporl

New

Postby tsporl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Did the ASW trick as well and received the e-mail with a username and password, making me assume it worked, but when I try to use the combo they sent me, it says the username and password are invalid. Any one else have this issue?

sorence

Bronze

Postby sorence » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:20 pm

tsporl wrote:Did the ASW trick as well and received the e-mail with a username and password, making me assume it worked, but when I try to use the combo they sent me, it says the username and password are invalid. Any one else have this issue?

I've seen other people post earlier in the thread that it takes 2-3 days to actually work. Once you get the info you're in though- congrats!

OtisRedding24

New

Postby OtisRedding24 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Applied ED on 1/4. Any ideas on when I should expect to hear back? Do they usually decide within the 3 weeks?

Thanks!

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:25 am

Dear GULC,

Snail Mail? Is there really no better way for you to do your acceptances in the year 2017? Why are you like this? Who hurt you?

Love,
Your Waiting Applicants

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:17 am

S.Picquery wrote:Dear GULC,

Snail Mail? Is there really no better way for you to do your acceptances in the year 2017? Why are you like this? Who hurt you?

Love,
Your Waiting Applicants

Keep trying the admitted students trick

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Email received regarding PILS pretty much reiterates what is on the site but also confirms that no invitations have gone out yet.

[+] Spoiler
"Thank you for your email and congratulations on your recent acceptance! This year, admitted applicants with extensive public service experience and a demonstrated commitment to pursuing a public interest legal career will be invited to submit a brief application detailing their interest in PILS. We anticipate these invitations will go out in February. More information about the application and selection process can be found here."

XUMickeal

New

Postby XUMickeal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Just did the ASW trick and it worked! international applicant interviewed late Dec.

redrebel

New

Postby redrebel » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:32 pm

sorence wrote:
tsporl wrote:Did the ASW trick as well and received the e-mail with a username and password, making me assume it worked, but when I try to use the combo they sent me, it says the username and password are invalid. Any one else have this issue?

I've seen other people post earlier in the thread that it takes 2-3 days to actually work. Once you get the info you're in though- congrats!

I just encounter the same problem :( Makes me nervous.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:35 pm

redrebel wrote:
sorence wrote:

I just encounter the same problem :( Makes me nervous.

Had the same issue - could request info starting on a Monday, but it told me the username and password were invalid for most of the rest of the week. Ended up getting my acceptance stuff that Thursday. Don't worry!

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Anyone else going to the open house later this month?

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Postby Bob loblaw law blog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:14 pm

S.Picquery wrote:Dear GULC,

Love,
Your Waiting Applicants

Maybe I'm nuts but I actually kinda liked that they didn't do a status checker and used snail mail. It makes it easier to just accept that things will happen eventually and not be neurotically checking all the time. Plus it's been quite sometime since I was as excited to see anything in the mail as I was when my acceptance letter came. Felt like a throwback to undergrad admissions.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?