Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
StopLawying

Silver

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby StopLawying » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:56 am

brinicolec wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
StopLawying wrote:So Georgetown is one of my top choices. Submitted my app on 12/9 and did one of the optional essays. Mylsn.info showed that I had around a 75% chance getting in, but I didn't take into account submitting a late app. When I update the settings to only show candidates who submitted in December/January I have a 50/50 chance. This sucks, didn't realize the there's a huge disadvantage to submitting apps past November. The data doesn't lie.
Anyway, at the time, someone advised me not to write a "why Georgetown", saying that I should save my reasons for a LOCI if waitlisted. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake. Would it be okay to submit a "why Georgetown" after I already submitted my app? Or is it best to just wait and see what happens? I'd rather do everything I can possibly do to increase my chance of an acceptance than have to worry about fighting my way off a waitlist. Can anyone advise, would really appreciate it. Thanks!

but the data doesn't take into account the big drop in high scoring applicants compared to this time last cycle.

How big of a drop are we talking?

I forget the exact numbers, but it was a good enough drop to seem promising for people with the scores they're looking for.. However, we still don't know what the Dec. LSAT scores look like. But also, I think the drop in high scoring applicants might be good news for splitters but not so good news for candidates who don't have a score in that range that's been dropping or the high GPA.

Thanks, you're always really helpful. Would you suggest I write a "why x"? See post above.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:19 am

StopLawying wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
StopLawying wrote:So Georgetown is one of my top choices. Submitted my app on 12/9 and did one of the optional essays. Mylsn.info showed that I had around a 75% chance getting in, but I didn't take into account submitting a late app. When I update the settings to only show candidates who submitted in December/January I have a 50/50 chance. This sucks, didn't realize the there's a huge disadvantage to submitting apps past November. The data doesn't lie.
Anyway, at the time, someone advised me not to write a "why Georgetown", saying that I should save my reasons for a LOCI if waitlisted. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake. Would it be okay to submit a "why Georgetown" after I already submitted my app? Or is it best to just wait and see what happens? I'd rather do everything I can possibly do to increase my chance of an acceptance than have to worry about fighting my way off a waitlist. Can anyone advise, would really appreciate it. Thanks!

but the data doesn't take into account the big drop in high scoring applicants compared to this time last cycle.

I forget the exact numbers, but it was a good enough drop to seem promising for people with the scores they're looking for.. However, we still don't know what the Dec. LSAT scores look like. But also, I think the drop in high scoring applicants might be good news for splitters but not so good news for candidates who don't have a score in that range that's been dropping or the high GPA.

Thanks, you're always really helpful. Would you suggest I write a "why x"? See post above.

I'm not really sure how much a Why X would help. I didn't write one and was accepted. I don't think a Why X would hurt though, as long as it's well-written.

StopLawying

Silver

Postby StopLawying » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:22 am

brinicolec wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

I'm not really sure how much a Why X would help. I didn't write one and was accepted. I don't think a Why X would hurt though, as long as it's well-written.

I already have one written and I think it's pretty good. My only concern is submitting after my application was already sent. Would it look bad if I send an email to the the school and ask them to add the "why Georgetown" to my app?

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:45 am

StopLawying wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

I already have one written and I think it's pretty good. My only concern is submitting after my application was already sent. Would it look bad if I send an email to the the school and ask them to add the "why Georgetown" to my app?

No, it's usually not a problem.

heyya0909

New

Postby heyya0909 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:59 am

Is anyone from the NYC area still waiting to hear back about the group interviews? I received the invitation a while ago and did the online RSVP thing (choosing interview dates) and haven't received anymore information since then.

ski17

New

Postby ski17 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Has anyone in the Denver area had an interview?

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Joining this thread officially. 170 on LSAT, 25<GPA<50. Very confident of getting in, but would love a bit of money if possible.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:55 pm

RParadela wrote:Joining this thread officially. 170 on LSAT, 25<GPA<50. Very confident of getting in, but would love a bit of money if possible.

Congrats on the score! Good luck

sec_undergrad

New

Postby sec_undergrad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:11 pm

With a number of exceptions I'm sure, the interviews seem to have more to do with logistics in general than application strength and serve more as a supplement in most cases. I interviewed with an alum and even my interviewer said that with the number of apps Gtown receives, they try their hardest to interview the majority of people if and when it is logistically possible.

So, just out of curiosity - has anyone on here been interviewed and then waitlisted/rejected?

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:14 pm

sec_undergrad wrote:With a number of exceptions I'm sure, the interviews seem to have more to do with logistics in general than application strength and serve more as a supplement in most cases. I interviewed with an alum and even my interviewer said that with the number of apps Gtown receives, they try their hardest to interview the majority of people if and when it is logistically possible.

So, just out of curiosity - has anyone on here been interviewed and then waitlisted/rejected?

WL with an interview last cycle. accepted without one this cycle.

sec_undergrad

New

Postby sec_undergrad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:15 pm

proteinshake wrote:
sec_undergrad wrote:With a number of exceptions I'm sure, the interviews seem to have more to do with logistics in general than application strength and serve more as a supplement in most cases. I interviewed with an alum and even my interviewer said that with the number of apps Gtown receives, they try their hardest to interview the majority of people if and when it is logistically possible.

WL with an interview last cycle. accepted without one this cycle.

Awesome! Congrats!

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:21 pm

heyya0909 wrote:Is anyone from the NYC area still waiting to hear back about the group interviews? I received the invitation a while ago and did the online RSVP thing (choosing interview dates) and haven't received anymore information since then.

I just heard back an hour ago for the NYC group interview. If you don't hear by tomorrow morning, I'd ping the admit office.

heyya0909

New

Postby heyya0909 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:24 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
heyya0909 wrote:Is anyone from the NYC area still waiting to hear back about the group interviews? I received the invitation a while ago and did the online RSVP thing (choosing interview dates) and haven't received anymore information since then.

I just heard back an hour ago for the NYC group interview. If you don't hear by tomorrow morning, I'd ping the admit office.

Hey! I just checked my email and saw the email from their office :) Thanks!

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:26 pm

heyya0909 wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Hey! I just checked my email and saw the email from their office :) Thanks!

Awesome! I'll probably see you there, then. Under cover, of course. :P

govlife

Bronze

Postby govlife » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:41 pm

ski17 wrote:Has anyone in the Denver area had an interview?

I'm in NM, so take this with a grain of salt since it's a smaller market, but I got an interview request and was then asked to do it on Skype since they didn't have an interviewer in my area.

jurisdoctor2020

New

Postby jurisdoctor2020 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:27 pm

I have a question about group versus alumni interviews.

I was invited to participate in a group interview in NYC, but I live about a 7-hr drive from there. I politely declined but expressed interest in an alum interview if there is someone closer to me. This was the response I got:

"Thanks for your email. I will let the admissions committee know that you're in (city far from NYC). I can also inform the admissions committee that you may be interested in an alumni interview so that you can participate in a one-on-one interview with a Georgetown Law alumnus. However, this program also is by invitation only, so I cannot guarantee that the admissions committee would choose you to participate."

I am wondering what the difference is in terms of the meaning of an alumni interview, since it seems to be a different program. Is it detrimental that I turned down the group one? Georgetown is one of my top choices and I am 50% GPA and LSAT above 75th. Applied mid-November and have been checking mailbox anxiously everyday.

Lastly, should I respond to this email with a thank you? Don't want to be annoying...

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:18 am

Finally got my Welcome to Georgetown email after the ASW thing worked on 12/20!

Still haven't received the acceptance letter tho :?

S.Picquery

Silver

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:19 am

jurisdoctor2020 wrote:Lastly, should I respond to this email with a thank you? Don't want to be annoying...

I don't know what the difference in the types of interview is, other than the time taken by the alum/admissions rep. However, sending a thank you is something I would absolutely do, but keep it concise. Brevity is key, my friend.

pipipipi

Bronze

Postby pipipipi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:41 am

post removed, problem solved.
Last edited by pipipipi on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

pipipipi

Bronze

Postby pipipipi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:43 am

Has anyone successfully solicited a interview, especially a skype one?

I know somewhere in their website, it said interviews are by invitation only, but would it hurt trying to show interests? What if I solicit with a Why essay?

I am applying internationally, so I can't do on campus or group interview. I heard some people had alumni interviewsin my country and some did skype ones.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Postby TakeItToTrial » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:49 am

pipipipi wrote:Has anyone successfully solicited a interview, especially a skype one?

I know somewhere in their website, it said interviews are by invitation only, but would it hurt trying to show interests? What if I solicit with a Why essay?

I am applying internationally, so I can't do on campus or group interview. I heard some people had alumni interviewsin my country and some did skype ones.

I would not try to solicit an interview.

armc808

Bronze

Postby armc808 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:08 am

TakeItToTrial wrote:
pipipipi wrote:Has anyone successfully solicited a interview, especially a skype one?

+1

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 am

armc808 wrote:
TakeItToTrial wrote:

+1

Also, the interview isn't necessary for admission so I wouldn't worry.

pipipipi

Bronze

Postby pipipipi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:31 am

brinicolec wrote:
Also, the interview isn't necessary for admission so I wouldn't worry.

armc808 wrote:+1

TakeItToTrial wrote:

Thank you all!

SJ1211

New

Postby SJ1211 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:03 am

Hi everyone --

I recently applied to Georgetown's part time program. I'm worried I might get sidelined for YP (GPA = 50, but my LSAT >>75, well above average softs), and I really like Georgetown -- the faculty are great, the clinics are v cool, and I know a lot of badass lawyers who are alums. I work in DC, and a lot of people here apply to the part time program so they can go to school and avoid disrupting their careers, which really appeals to me. Post election, I'm especially reluctant to leave rather than work here fighting Trump.

Is there anything I can do to convey my sincere interest in the school? I did write the optional 250. Do I wait and send an LOCI in a couple months? Is there other stuff I could do?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?