Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawcapture

Bronze

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by lawcapture » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:06 pm

BrittanyJeream wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:How long does it take generally for Georgetown to respond to RD applicants? I submitted end of October but I'm not in the states so cannot check if I've received any mail. I haven't received a rejection email yet so I'm hoping that's a good sign.
From my (not that in-depth) searches, it seems like anywhere from 2-4 weeks so far.
Don't think there is a rigid timeline they adhere to. I submitted back September 20th and haven't heard anything other than getting an interview invite which I had to decline.

BrittanyJeream

Bronze

Post by BrittanyJeream » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:18 pm

lawcapture wrote:
BrittanyJeream wrote:
20171lhopeful wrote:How long does it take generally for Georgetown to respond to RD applicants? I submitted end of October but I'm not in the states so cannot check if I've received any mail. I haven't received a rejection email yet so I'm hoping that's a good sign.
From my (not that in-depth) searches, it seems like anywhere from 2-4 weeks so far.
Don't think there is a rigid timeline they adhere to. I submitted back September 20th and haven't heard anything other than getting an interview invite which I had to decline.
Ah. Makes sense since I was only looking at "acceptances" so far.

pleaseclassof2020

New

Post by pleaseclassof2020 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:01 pm

BrittanyJeream wrote:
lawcapture wrote:
BrittanyJeream wrote:
Ah. Makes sense since I was only looking at "acceptances" so far.
I went complete 9/29 and haven't heard back at all. No interview request, maybe because I'm in Cali. Probably not a good sign :(

potterotter

Bronze

Post by potterotter » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:16 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aquinas

Bronze

Post by Aquinas » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:35 pm

In via mail, as of last Friday. The acceptance letter included a handwritten note from Dean Cornblatt, which was a very nice touch.

App went complete 10/26 or 10/27. No interview; no supplemental essays. Above both 75th %iles.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:20 pm

I think they may only be admitting easy admits right now, that's what it looks like on LSN

pleaseclassof2020

New

Post by pleaseclassof2020 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:44 pm

fazzvm56 wrote:I think they may only be admitting easy admits right now, that's what it looks like on LSN
So do you think if we haven't heard back and have gone complete earlier than some other admits, it's not necessarily a ding?

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:36 pm

How long were your why Georgetown essays? Will a page and a half be okay or should I stick to one page?

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:10 am

studyingeveryday wrote:How long were your why Georgetown essays? Will a page and a half be okay or should I stick to one page?
The optional essays have a 250 word count limit. Not sure if this also applies to the Why X essay, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:19 am

pleaseclassof2020 wrote:
fazzvm56 wrote:I think they may only be admitting easy admits right now, that's what it looks like on LSN
So do you think if we haven't heard back and have gone complete earlier than some other admits, it's not necessarily a ding?
Yeah. From the look of LSN, it seems like they're accepting people that are easy admits but holding people that may be borderline. I wouldn't say it would be a bad thing! Maybe just giving our apps a little more attention :)

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:57 am

pizzagoblin wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:How long were your why Georgetown essays? Will a page and a half be okay or should I stick to one page?
The optional essays have a 250 word count limit. Not sure if this also applies to the Why X essay, though.
I didn't even consider this--did anyone else write a Why Georgetown? If so, did you keep it 250 words or no?

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Talked to one of my recommenders today, said he got an email from someone in admissions last Friday; not really sure of the specifics of it, but was something along the lines of thanks for writing a LOR and they're really helpful for distinguishing applicants... not sure if generic or what, but he said he'd reply to it.

pleaseclassof2020

New

Post by pleaseclassof2020 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:19 pm

fazzvm56 wrote:
pleaseclassof2020 wrote:
Yeah. From the look of LSN, it seems like they're accepting people that are easy admits but holding people that may be borderline. I wouldn't say it would be a bad thing! Maybe just giving our apps a little more attention :)
Alrighty, thanks! Still wary of a waitlist/ding but you're giving me some hope!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:02 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:
I didn't even consider this--did anyone else write a Why Georgetown? If so, did you keep it 250 words or no?
Follow up question: to those who wrote a Why Georgetown, how long was it? Mine is looking to be almost two pages, and I'm wondering if I should shorten it considering they only want their optional essays to be only 250 words. (I would submit this in addition to an optional essay).

Christinabruin

Bronze

Post by Christinabruin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:42 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:
Follow up question: to those who wrote a Why Georgetown, how long was it? Mine is looking to be almost two pages, and I'm wondering if I should shorten it considering they only want their optional essays to be only 250 words. (I would submit this in addition to an optional essay).
I called the admissions office yesterday and they said they don't give any page limit to the Personal Statement, DS, or Why X essays. I would still keep it under 2 pages! My Georgetown Why X is almost 2 pages double-spaced.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:14 pm

Christinabruin wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:
I called the admissions office yesterday and they said they don't give any page limit to the Personal Statement, DS, or Why X essays. I would still keep it under 2 pages! My Georgetown Why X is almost 2 pages double-spaced.
Thank you so much!

Beads2017

New

Post by Beads2017 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:43 pm

I was accepted a few weeks ago, but the letter didn't mention anything about scholarships. Does that mean I wasn't offered one? When do they tend to start sending those out?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:45 pm

Just completed my interview. What's the usual turnaround from interview to decision?

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:05 pm

Guys I have a 164, over 4 GPA. Retaking in december but have all my apps ready to go. I'm about to send in my apps now, with the thinking that I'll either be accepted or put on wait list (according to mylsn). If waitlisted I plan on updating them with my dec score, and all my apps stuff will have already been processed. Before doing this though I wanted to ask if I'm doing the right thing by sending in my apps now instead of waiting for my dec score. Can anyone let me know if there's any downside? TIA

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:07 pm

StopLawying wrote:Guys I have a 164, over 4 GPA. Retaking in december but have all my apps ready to go. I'm about to send in my apps now, with the thinking that I'll either be accepted or put on wait list (according to mylsn). If waitlisted I plan on updating them with my dec score, and all my apps stuff will have already been processed. Before doing this though I wanted to ask if I'm doing the right thing by sending in my apps now instead of waiting for my dec score. Can anyone let me know if there's any downside? TIA
You've literally already asked this in your own personal thread. Please don't litter.

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:30 pm

88234 wrote:
StopLawying wrote:Guys I have a 164, over 4 GPA. Retaking in december but have all my apps ready to go. I'm about to send in my apps now, with the thinking that I'll either be accepted or put on wait list (according to mylsn). If waitlisted I plan on updating them with my dec score, and all my apps stuff will have already been processed. Before doing this though I wanted to ask if I'm doing the right thing by sending in my apps now instead of waiting for my dec score. Can anyone let me know if there's any downside? TIA
You've literally already asked this in your own personal thread. Please don't litter.
Gottya, sry about that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:01 pm

Another app question about the resume: so, the resume asks us to list our scholarships. Should we be listing the amount of money the scholarship gave us or just the scholarship name?

Also, the prompt says to "describe...extracurricular/community activities, including nature and length of involvement."
On my resume, I wrote in detail about a few of my extracurricular activities, and listed the others without going into depth about them. My resume is already at two pages. Based on this prompt, do I really need to also describe the activities I put in a list? I don't think I should add a third page, and I think the ones that are simply listed are self-explanatory enough.

Thank you!

legallyadog

New

Post by legallyadog » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:17 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:Another app question about the resume: so, the resume asks us to list our scholarships. Should we be listing the amount of money the scholarship gave us or just the scholarship name?

Also, the prompt says to "describe...extracurricular/community activities, including nature and length of involvement."
On my resume, I wrote in detail about a few of my extracurricular activities, and listed the others without going into depth about them. My resume is already at two pages. Based on this prompt, do I really need to also describe the activities I put in a list? I don't think I should add a third page, and I think the ones that are simply listed are self-explanatory enough.

Thank you!
My rule of thumb is unless you were in a leadership position for extracurriculars then you should just list them. A 3 page resume is too long.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:32 pm

legallyadog wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:Another app question about the resume: so, the resume asks us to list our scholarships. Should we be listing the amount of money the scholarship gave us or just the scholarship name?

Thank you!
My rule of thumb is unless you were in a leadership position for extracurriculars then you should just list them. A 3 page resume is too long.
I figured, thanks! Anyone have any insight into the scholarship question?

govlife

Bronze

Post by govlife » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:57 pm

Thank you!
I didn't think they were interested in amounts, just achievements or honors, so I listed the scholarship and what it's purpose or requirements were. For example "Transfer Success Scholarship, 2015-2016- for transfer students with exceptional academic achievement"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”