Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lsa16

Bronze

Re: Georgetown Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by lsa16 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:How are you PI guys planning on paying off your debts in T14? It just seems crazy to me.

There are a lot of things I rather do than biglaw, but it just seems impossible with the student debt I would probably be graduating with.

LRAP does not seem substantial at all. You're still paying it off and living under debt for a long time.

Meanwhile, my own pride won't let me take a prospective full ride at a non-T14. You only get one shot with your chosen career education.
I kind of have cutoff in my head of the scholarship money I need if I am going to go ahead and attend this year and plan for a PI track. I don't mind taking on a reasonable amount of debt but definitely not paying sticker.

mp68

New

Post by mp68 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:00 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:How are you PI guys planning on paying off your debts in T14? It just seems crazy to me.

There are a lot of things I rather do than biglaw, but it just seems impossible with the student debt I would probably be graduating with.

LRAP does not seem substantial at all. You're still paying it off and living under debt for a long time.

Meanwhile, my own pride won't let me take a prospective full ride at a non-T14. You only get one shot with your chosen career education.
GI Bill = zero tuition at Georgetown (also GWU/American/W&L, and many others). And you do get more than one shot if you want to, it's just not as easy the second time around if you are locked in financially by family situation or other choices you might make along the way.

dddddd90

Bronze

Post by dddddd90 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:49 pm

My application has been complete since the day after I submitted it, but today the date disappeared from the status checker. Now it just says "complete." Nothing in the decisions or mailing columns. Think I read somewhere that the date disappearing means 'waitlist,' but I've also read that those come via email, and no such message. Anyone wanna read the tea leaves?

poliksa

New

Post by poliksa » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:05 pm

dddddd90 wrote:My application has been complete since the day after I submitted it, but today the date disappeared from the status checker. Now it just says "complete." Nothing in the decisions or mailing columns. Think I read somewhere that the date disappearing means 'waitlist,' but I've also read that those come via email, and no such message. Anyone wanna read the tea leaves?
Does it say "complete" or "completed" ?

dddddd90

Bronze

Post by dddddd90 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:07 pm

poliksa wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:My application has been complete since the day after I submitted it, but today the date disappeared from the status checker. Now it just says "complete." Nothing in the decisions or mailing columns. Think I read somewhere that the date disappearing means 'waitlist,' but I've also read that those come via email, and no such message. Anyone wanna read the tea leaves?
Completed. Said complete before when there was a date. Got invited to group interview the day I applied but couldn't make it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poliksa

New

Post by poliksa » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:41 pm

dddddd90 wrote:
poliksa wrote:
Completed. Said complete before when there was a date. Got invited to group interview the day I applied but couldn't make it.
I could be wrong, but I thought that once a decision's been made, everyone's status says "Application completed", with the date/decision fields blank.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:43 pm

poliksa wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:
poliksa wrote:
I could be wrong, but I thought that once a decision's been made, everyone's status says "Application completed", with the date/decision fields blank.
They were speculating about this in last year's thread, but it doesn't seem to be the case this year. A lot of us went blank, and then to "application completed" a week or two ago. It happened to me and I was invited to an interview afterwards, so it doesn't seem to indicate a decision having been made. A few people went to "application completed" like a day or two after turning their app in as well.

juneandlune

New

Post by juneandlune » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:28 pm

If I live in Washington State and haven't received a letter from GULC yet, does it likely mean that I won't hear back as part of this first round?

eastring

New

Post by eastring » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Received the snail mail in Canada today (it was dated Oct. 17)! :D Applied RD Sept. 22.
Last edited by eastring on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:56 pm

Can people start posting the address date of the letter when they receive it? It would be helpful to track who's hearing back as part of the first round of invites and who has gotten in after that.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:57 pm

In by snail mail today! :shock:

Dated 10/17

pleaseclassof2020

New

Post by pleaseclassof2020 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:58 pm

Congrats to all who've heard back.

If I went complete 9/27 and haven't heard anything, does that pretty much mean I didn't get in? Looks like others who went complete later have gotten in so it doesn't seem like great odds for me.

Megfsc

New

Post by Megfsc » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 am

PDX4343 wrote:
poliksa wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:
poliksa wrote:
They were speculating about this in last year's thread, but it doesn't seem to be the case this year. A lot of us went blank, and then to "application completed" a week or two ago. It happened to me and I was invited to an interview afterwards, so it doesn't seem to indicate a decision having been made. A few people went to "application completed" like a day or two after turning their app in as well.

This was me. Applied 10/23. "Application Completed" with no dates on 10/25. I got really excited because of the quick change before I realized it's only been 2 days and I should probably cool it and hunker down for a few weeks. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

0LawSchool

New

Post by 0LawSchool » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:09 am

Megfsc wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
poliksa wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:
poliksa wrote:

This was me. Applied 10/23. "Application Completed" with no dates on 10/25. I got really excited because of the quick change before I realized it's only been 2 days and I should probably cool it and hunker down for a few weeks. :lol:
What do you mean no dates?

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:53 am

Just had my alumni interview. It was definitely business professional, but at the same time the interview was very relaxed and conversational. Glad I brought a copy of my resume because my interviewer asked for one.

govlife

Bronze

Post by govlife » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:58 am

poptart123 wrote:Just had my alumni interview. It was definitely business professional, but at the same time the interview was very relaxed and conversational. Glad I brought a copy of my resume because my interviewer asked for one.
Good to hear! I have one coming up, but via Skype because Georgetown alumni are few and far between out here. Any questions to expect, minus the basic Why Gtown/Why Law?

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:21 am

govlife wrote:
poptart123 wrote:Just had my alumni interview. It was definitely business professional, but at the same time the interview was very relaxed and conversational. Glad I brought a copy of my resume because my interviewer asked for one.
Good to hear! I have one coming up, but via Skype because Georgetown alumni are few and far between out here. Any questions to expect, minus the basic Why Gtown/Why Law?
I was asked what I'm interested in doing, but really we just bullshitted about sports and hobbies. He asked a little bit about why my undergrad and what was on my resume. I worked for a current Congressman and was in a namesake program in UG of another one who are really respected in my area so we lightly touched about politics without crossing into too much detail. It actually led to a good discussion on GULC opportunities. We are both learning new languages so we compared those as well.

I asked him about alumni in the area, why he went to the school, why he chose his practice area, what brought him to my city, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

govlife

Bronze

Post by govlife » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:48 am

poptart123 wrote:
govlife wrote:
I was asked what I'm interested in doing, but really we just bullshitted about sports and hobbies. He asked a little bit about why my undergrad and what was on my resume. I worked for a current Congressman and was in a namesake program in UG of another one who are really respected in my area so we lightly touched about politics without crossing into too much detail. It actually led to a good discussion on GULC opportunities. We are both learning new languages so we compared those as well.

I asked him about alumni in the area, why he went to the school, why he chose his practice area, what brought him to my city, etc.
Perfect, thanks!

dddddd90

Bronze

Post by dddddd90 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:25 pm

0LawSchool wrote:
Megfsc wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:
poliksa wrote:
dddddd90 wrote:
poliksa wrote:

What do you mean no dates?
There is no status date. The field is blank and has been since it went from "complete" to "completed"

0LawSchool

New

Post by 0LawSchool » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:16 pm

Got it. I must have missed mine changing from Complete to Completed, as mine says Application Completed, and no status date.

ad34964n

Bronze

Post by ad34964n » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:33 pm

0LawSchool wrote:Got it. I must have missed mine changing from Complete to Completed, as mine says Application Completed, and no status date.
Really wish there was a definitive answer for this.. I'm "Application Completed" now with no date and am officially bugging out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:39 pm

I think what we have learned is that everyone is in application completed at this point. Unless all of us are qualified and about to be admitted (statistically unlikely), this is just a part of the process for everyone. I'd not read too much into it.

forum_user

Silver

Post by forum_user » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:51 am

Had a letter from Georgetown Law sitting in my mailbox!!!

It was addressed to the previous resident of my apartment, such a tease :roll:

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:24 am

forum_user wrote:Had a letter from Georgetown Law sitting in my mailbox!!!

It was addressed to the previous resident of my apartment, such a tease :roll:
wow what are the chances.... :lol:

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:23 am

Checking in, just submitted!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”