Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:29 pm

jstans wrote:Is there any data on how many Vanderbilt students are typically accepted off the waitlist? I really want to look into my chances of being accepted after a WL. As I'm sure is the case for a lot of you, most other schools that I'm considering have a nonrefundable deposit deadline in mid-April. I'll also have to sign a lease in a new city at some point in the next few months, so I'm really looking for data that could tell me how many people are accepted off the WL/what the timeline for most acceptances is. I see it as a real possibility that I may have to withdraw just for the amount of money I will have poured into a school in another city by the time a possible acceptance comes around.

Can't speak to other years, but based on last year's applicant thread I don't know if anyone got in off the 2019 waitlist. They over-enrolled their class. In general I would imagine it's a tiny amount given their small class sizes, but a search on LSN or other TLS Vandy cycle threads might show differently.

Zipman

New

Postby Zipman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:22 pm

intlbr wrote:
Zipman wrote:WL with a 171/3.4, applied pretty late but still. Promptly withdrawing.

Mind if I ask when did you apply?

last days of jan/first days of feb, I forget

freekick

Bronze

Postby freekick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:44 am

I have been complete since 1/9 with radio silence since. Anyone else in the same boat?

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:26 am

freekick wrote:I have been complete since 1/9 with radio silence since. Anyone else in the same boat?

Applied in November, they held me because I was taking the Feb LSAT (even though my LSAT and GPA were at least median), and here I am still waiting for anything to happen

freekick

Bronze

Postby freekick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:53 am

chargers21 wrote:
freekick wrote:I have been complete since 1/9 with radio silence since. Anyone else in the same boat?

Applied in November, they held me because I was taking the Feb LSAT (even though my LSAT and GPA were at least median), and here I am still waiting for anything to happen

Well, given that schools go for what they like, I am assuming they didn't like me first up and have shelved me for ding/WL. Got a CRS waiver though. But that isn't predictive of anything.

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:07 am

Omg Vandy just waitlist me already!!!!! :roll:

EWofNell

Bronze

Postby EWofNell » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 am

freekick wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

Well, given that schools go for what they like, I am assuming they didn't like me first up and have shelved me for ding/WL. Got a CRS waiver though. But that isn't predictive of anything.

Complete since 1/3... thought I would have heard by now :/

cam1992

New

Postby cam1992 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:21 am

freekick wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

Just curious: is there a reason a school would shelve WL or Dings? All my other seem to be fairly prompt, lol.

freekick

Bronze

Postby freekick » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:45 pm

cam1992 wrote:
freekick wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

Just curious: is there a reason a school would shelve WL or Dings? All my other seem to be fairly prompt, lol.

My experience is that folks really liked/not liked by a school hear promptly. But if a school says, "if nothing better comes along we will take him/her", then the file is shelved for revisitation and WL/Ding/Late acceptance follows upon such revisitation.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Postby BostonOrBust » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:23 pm

freekick wrote:
cam1992 wrote:
freekick wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

My experience is that folks really liked/not liked by a school hear promptly. But if a school says, "if nothing better comes along we will take him/her", then the file is shelved for revisitation and WL/Ding/Late acceptance follows upon such revisitation.

Also complete since early Jan, also waiting for the WL/ding. I think I've said it before here, but if it's bad I just want to know ASAP. I have another option I'm excited about but can't fully commit to until Vandy shatters my heart.

FWIW I've done a lot of LSN creeping, and it seems like in Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb there was a big round of decisions 16th-18th of the month. I predict movement tomorrow (if not today... I guess the day is young in CST). Unfortunately, as they haven't had a solid wave of waitlists/dings for a while I'm predicting that it won't be happy movement for most.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 pm

HopefulVaultDweller

New

Postby HopefulVaultDweller » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:21 pm

For those of you going to the ASP in April: I just finished the March ASP and it was amazing! Everyone is really cool. The claim about the culture being super cooperative is actually true (first school I can say this about). The classes we took (real and mock) were well structured and actually really fun. Both the professors and the administration people are incredibly smart, fun, and caring people. You guys are gonna have a great time. You'll get to have lunch at a table with one of the professors (so research ahead of time to figure out who you'd like to sit down and have a conversation with just so you have a general idea about the faculty). I had lunch with Professor J.B. Ruhl (I'm entrepreneurially minded and a business planned out) and it was an absolute blast. He's a really big deal but was really down to earth and we had a great conversation. The administration folks are great as well. I talked with Dean Morton personally several times but others like Caroline Sirko or Ryan Willard are also awesome. Bottom line is: if you're not going, you should go. If you're going, you're gonna have a blast. Also, for the internationals (I'm an international myself) almost all of the 1Ls I've met have firm jobs over the summer lined up, which is huge!

gizmo1024

Bronze

Postby gizmo1024 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:20 pm

HopefulVaultDweller wrote:For those of you going to the ASP in April: I just finished the March ASP and it was amazing! Everyone is really cool. The claim about the culture being super cooperative is actually true (first school I can say this about). The classes we took (real and mock) were well structured and actually really fun. Both the professors and the administration people are incredibly smart, fun, and caring people. You guys are gonna have a great time. You'll get to have lunch at a table with one of the professors (so research ahead of time to figure out who you'd like to sit down and have a conversation with just so you have a general idea about the faculty). I had lunch with Professor J.B. Ruhl (I'm entrepreneurially minded and a business planned out) and it was an absolute blast. He's a really big deal but was really down to earth and we had a great conversation. The administration folks are great as well. I talked with Dean Morton personally several times but others like Caroline Sirko or Ryan Willard are also awesome. Bottom line is: if you're not going, you should go. If you're going, you're gonna have a blast. Also, for the internationals (I'm an international myself) almost all of the 1Ls I've met have firm jobs over the summer lined up, which is huge!

Signed up for the April ASP. Now I'm even more excited to attend! Thanks for sharing.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:34 am

Just to echo HopefulVaultDweller, ASD was a blast. If you're on the fence, definitely make an effort to go. Especially since Vandy has one of the most generous travel reimbursement programs. They put together a greet time.

Also, if any future prospective students see this, try and sign up for the student hosting option. Staying with a current student is a really valueable experience.

rozes

New

Postby rozes » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:30 pm

HopefulVaultDweller wrote:For those of you going to the ASP in April: I just finished the March ASP and it was amazing! Everyone is really cool. The claim about the culture being super cooperative is actually true (first school I can say this about). The classes we took (real and mock) were well structured and actually really fun. Both the professors and the administration people are incredibly smart, fun, and caring people. You guys are gonna have a great time. You'll get to have lunch at a table with one of the professors (so research ahead of time to figure out who you'd like to sit down and have a conversation with just so you have a general idea about the faculty). I had lunch with Professor J.B. Ruhl (I'm entrepreneurially minded and a business planned out) and it was an absolute blast. He's a really big deal but was really down to earth and we had a great conversation. The administration folks are great as well. I talked with Dean Morton personally several times but others like Caroline Sirko or Ryan Willard are also awesome. Bottom line is: if you're not going, you should go. If you're going, you're gonna have a blast. Also, for the internationals (I'm an international myself) almost all of the 1Ls I've met have firm jobs over the summer lined up, which is huge!

Also: omg so much alcohol.

gizmo1024

Bronze

Postby gizmo1024 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15 am

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Just to echo HopefulVaultDweller, ASD was a blast. If you're on the fence, definitely make an effort to go. Especially since Vandy has one of the most generous travel reimbursement programs. They put together a greet time.

Also, if any future prospective students see this, try and sign up for the student hosting option. Staying with a current student is a really valueable experience.

Pretty bummed they've already maxed out space with their student hosts. Not looking forward to staying in a hotel all by myself lol.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 am

gizmo1024 wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Just to echo HopefulVaultDweller, ASD was a blast. If you're on the fence, definitely make an effort to go. Especially since Vandy has one of the most generous travel reimbursement programs. They put together a greet time.

Pretty bummed they've already maxed out space with their student hosts. Not looking forward to staying in a hotel all by myself lol.

I stayed at the Scaritt Bennett. It's super close to the law school. There were a couple other 0Ls there too. I was only ever in my room to sleep anyways.

A_Faus95

New

Postby A_Faus95 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Hello,

Just checking in, I went complete 1/4 (submitted 10/26 and had interview on 10/27 but was waiting for Dec. LSAT) and haven't heard anything since January. Has anyone?

Thanks!

floatie

Silver

Postby floatie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:51 pm

A_Faus95 wrote:Hello,

Just checking in, I went complete 1/4 (submitted 10/26 and had interview on 10/27 but was waiting for Dec. LSAT) and haven't heard anything since January. Has anyone?

Thanks!

I haven't either, although plenty of people have gotten in, and they already had one of their ASDs last week. I'm well past the 12-week deadline for hearing back.

Officially writing off Vandy as a WL/ding

largemarge26

New

Postby largemarge26 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:59 pm

floatie wrote:

Thanks!

I haven't either, although plenty of people have gotten in, and they already had one of their ASDs last week. I'm well past the 12-week deadline for hearing back.

+1... complete 11/29

A_Faus95

New

Postby A_Faus95 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 pm

largemarge26 wrote:
floatie wrote:

Thanks!

+1... complete 11/29

Did you email them to find app status after 12 weeks? I'm dying to just know so I can figure u next year

amjam

New

Postby amjam » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:00 pm

A_Faus95 wrote:
largemarge26 wrote:
floatie wrote:

Thanks!

+1... complete 11/29

Did you email them to find app status after 12 weeks? I'm dying to just know so I can figure u next year

I've been complete since 12/6; interviewed on 12/21...nothing since. Should I call or email now that I'm outside the 12 week mark? I don't want to be annoying, but I also don't want to put down any seat deposits without having all the information I need to make that decision.

mg95

New

Postby mg95 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Went complete 1/5, haven't heard anything since. I've heard from all 8 other schools I've applied to since then, and I want to start making decisions, but Vandy is definitely my favorite option so I'm stuck.

That being said, I just called this afternoon to check on my application, and the woman on the other end said (and I quote) "our numbers are way up from last year, so it's taking longer to make decisions than years past." I guess that tells why a lot of us haven't heard anything, but it also tells me that I have a stronger chance of being WL or dinged :|

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Postby HonestlyThough » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Anyone else at the week after admitted mark with no peeps on money?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:07 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:Anyone else at the week after admitted mark with no peeps on money?

I'm months past admitted with no scholarship, but I'm also interviewing for VLMSA at the april ASW, so don't think that's too useful

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?