Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:00 pm

I'm also seriuously hoping that Vanderbilt sends out an email after the first tuition deadline (after some of the full ride people commit somewhere else) saying "more scholarship money has been made available to us."

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2225
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby thatlawlkid » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:35 pm

App complete 12/19. Can i just get a WL or Reject already?

Pure Applesauce

Bronze
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Pure Applesauce » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 pm

vandy student, can answer qs ya'll have

good luck everyone

User avatar
mrgambe

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:31 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mrgambe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Complete on 12/12. Denied today. Good luck everyone!

nrc08

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:24 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby nrc08 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:48 pm

Anyone know any stats about getting accepted and/or scholarships off the waitlist? Stats are 161/3.56 just trying to see if its even worth the wait

User avatar
alpha kenny body

Gold
Posts: 4850
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby alpha kenny body » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:58 pm

nrc08 wrote:Anyone know any stats about getting accepted and/or scholarships off the waitlist? Stats are 161/3.56 just trying to see if its even worth the wait

im fairly certain that instead of taking people off of the waitlist last year, they increased their class size instead. Take from that what you will.

cbq23

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cbq23 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:04 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
alhookem2020 wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:GOT A FULL-RIDE SCHOLARSHIP! I am freaking out!!!!!!!!


What are your stats?


Thanks! 3.9X/167 :)



Wow! Congrats. So, I'm a long time lurker wanting advice, what should I make of this given that I have seemingly identical stats (3.9x, 167) but was offered only $101,000? (less than 2/3 scholarship)

Assuming that I have decent softs, any advice on how I should interpret their offer? On the one hand I love the school and I'm ready to attend, but on the other hand I hate the idea that I will attend even while they lowball my numbers? fwiw lawschoolnumbers seems to indicate this number should at least get 110,000-120,000...

BobBoblaw

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BobBoblaw » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:43 pm

cbq23 wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:
alhookem2020 wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:GOT A FULL-RIDE SCHOLARSHIP! I am freaking out!!!!!!!!


What are your stats?


Thanks! 3.9X/167 :)



Wow! Congrats. So, I'm a long time lurker wanting advice, what should I make of this given that I have seemingly identical stats (3.9x, 167) but was offered only $101,000? (less than 2/3 scholarship)

Assuming that I have decent softs, any advice on how I should interpret their offer? On the one hand I love the school and I'm ready to attend, but on the other hand I hate the idea that I will attend even while they lowball my numbers? fwiw lawschoolnumbers seems to indicate this number should at least get 110,000-120,000...



At the end of the day, we are not entitled to shit. I have seen people with identical stats to me in at Emory with 100k and I got a WL, only difference was in timing (Emory automatically held my app for a future LSAT). It sucks, but maybe there was just less money available on the day they processed your app, or already has enought people locked in where your numbers were not as valuable to them at that particular moment.

By all means, try and negotiate up. It seems reasonable, but there is no guarantee and just dont approach it with a sense of entitlement because this whole financial aid BS is just inherently unfair, and what is valuable to a school one day may not be as valuable to them next week or next month or next year.


Just how the cookie crumbles.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:39 pm

same stats, haven't even heard back since November, let alone about money

lawpotato

Bronze
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawpotato » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:51 pm

Pure Applesauce wrote:vandy student, can answer qs ya'll have

good luck everyone


I'm coming out for Admitted Students Day from California this week. Never been to Nashville before. Anything you highly recommend in the area?

pizzagoblin

Bronze
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pizzagoblin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:19 am

BobBoblaw wrote:
cbq23 wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:
alhookem2020 wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:GOT A FULL-RIDE SCHOLARSHIP! I am freaking out!!!!!!!!


What are your stats?


Thanks! 3.9X/167 :)



Wow! Congrats. So, I'm a long time lurker wanting advice, what should I make of this given that I have seemingly identical stats (3.9x, 167) but was offered only $101,000? (less than 2/3 scholarship)

Assuming that I have decent softs, any advice on how I should interpret their offer? On the one hand I love the school and I'm ready to attend, but on the other hand I hate the idea that I will attend even while they lowball my numbers? fwiw lawschoolnumbers seems to indicate this number should at least get 110,000-120,000...



At the end of the day, we are not entitled to shit. I have seen people with identical stats to me in at Emory with 100k and I got a WL, only difference was in timing (Emory automatically held my app for a future LSAT). It sucks, but maybe there was just less money available on the day they processed your app, or already has enought people locked in where your numbers were not as valuable to them at that particular moment.

By all means, try and negotiate up. It seems reasonable, but there is no guarantee and just dont approach it with a sense of entitlement because this whole financial aid BS is just inherently unfair, and what is valuable to a school one day may not be as valuable to them next week or next month or next year.


Just how the cookie crumbles.


Agreed with the above. Scholarship offers are shrouded in mystery, and we will never fully understand what goes into each admitted student's offer.

That being said, one thing that may have differentiated me from the pack was my disclosed commitment to Vanderbilt. I was in touch with the financial aid office multiple times and continued to highlight my interest both in Vanderbilt and the Law School Merit Awards. It seems like the school wants people who are 110 percent committed to Vanderbilt, so make your genuine interest known.

User avatar
haley12

Silver
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby haley12 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 am

fips tedora wrote:
nrc08 wrote:Anyone know any stats about getting accepted and/or scholarships off the waitlist? Stats are 161/3.56 just trying to see if its even worth the wait

im fairly certain that instead of taking people off of the waitlist last year, they increased their class size instead. Take from that what you will.


Confused about this... Do you mean they decreased the class size? How would they increase without taking more people?

JRP1994

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby JRP1994 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:44 am

haley12 wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
nrc08 wrote:Anyone know any stats about getting accepted and/or scholarships off the waitlist? Stats are 161/3.56 just trying to see if its even worth the wait

im fairly certain that instead of taking people off of the waitlist last year, they increased their class size instead. Take from that what you will.


Confused about this... Do you mean they decreased the class size? How would they increase without taking more people?


I think it means that they accept more people outright and defer fewer people to the waitlist, but I might be misunderstanding the statement.

User avatar
alpha kenny body

Gold
Posts: 4850
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby alpha kenny body » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:50 am

haley12 wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
nrc08 wrote:Anyone know any stats about getting accepted and/or scholarships off the waitlist? Stats are 161/3.56 just trying to see if its even worth the wait

im fairly certain that instead of taking people off of the waitlist last year, they increased their class size instead. Take from that what you will.


Confused about this... Do you mean they decreased the class size? How would they increase without taking more people?

Offering more acceptances. They increased by about 24% last year

User avatar
haley12

Silver
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby haley12 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:32 am

fips tedora wrote:
haley12 wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
nrc08 wrote:Anyone know any stats about getting accepted and/or scholarships off the waitlist? Stats are 161/3.56 just trying to see if its even worth the wait

im fairly certain that instead of taking people off of the waitlist last year, they increased their class size instead. Take from that what you will.


Confused about this... Do you mean they decreased the class size? How would they increase without taking more people?

Offering more acceptances. They increased by about 24% last year


Gotcha, ok. Thanks!

User avatar
bitter_melon

Bronze
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bitter_melon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:09 pm

"Today will be the day I hear back from Vanderbilt."

-Bitter_Melon, every single day.

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby amta » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:11 pm

vandy is comical....

JRP1994

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby JRP1994 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:46 pm

Am I the only one whose online status tracker hasn't updated since the application first went complete?

intlbr

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby intlbr » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:50 pm

JRP1994 wrote:Am I the only one whose online status tracker hasn't updated since the application first went complete?

Not the only one, I'm in the same boat!

User avatar
floatie

Silver
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby floatie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:09 pm

intlbr wrote:
JRP1994 wrote:Am I the only one whose online status tracker hasn't updated since the application first went complete?

Not the only one, I'm in the same boat!


same

BostonOrBust

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:25 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BostonOrBust » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:10 pm

intlbr wrote:
JRP1994 wrote:Am I the only one whose online status tracker hasn't updated since the application first went complete?

Not the only one, I'm in the same boat!


Same. Makes one wonder if some applications have even been touched. The rest of my cycle is done and this one still feels like there's no end in sight.

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Waitlisted via email. Above median applicant. Would have needed 120k so whatever

User avatar
capnobvious123

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 9:38 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby capnobvious123 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:28 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
intlbr wrote:
JRP1994 wrote:Am I the only one whose online status tracker hasn't updated since the application first went complete?

Not the only one, I'm in the same boat!


Same. Makes one wonder if some applications have even been touched. The rest of my cycle is done and this one still feels like there's no end in sight.


+1, came to this thread to see if I was an anomaly, so I'm glad there's others. I swear I applied here last cycle and after getting WL'd to the rest of the schools I wanted to go to I kind of stopped paying attention to my status checkers and things, but I have never found an email/letter from Vanderbilt last cycle with an admissions decision.

Texas's deposit deadline is Friday, meanwhile Vandy has given no indication they've looked at my app since it went complete. K.

User avatar
blelwoods

Bronze
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby blelwoods » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:11 pm

When is the first deposit due?

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:18 pm

blelwoods wrote:When is the first deposit due?


I think Tuesday, April 19th



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests