UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:52 pm

lawlzschool wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Rigo wrote:It's super easy for Berkeley and UCLA and California in general. Just get a new driver's license and sign a lease and you'll be good.

I've heard it's impossible in Texas unless you pretty much buy property.


Even a lease just renting?! That's pretty awesome, though I guess it forces you to get off-campus housing if that wasn't your original plan.

North Carolina was like that too (the property thing). I think a lot of places are.

It's pretty awesome that you can end up with in-state tuition; saves like $6k/yr (assuming tuition doesn't increase much). I'll have to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info!


wait this is so far from true its borderline dangerous... i used to run residency appeals as an undergrad [at berkeley, hi adcomms, but happy to out myself for the cause] and it is an unbelievably arduous process wherein you have to keep records of all spend, you have to be physically present in the state of california for 365+1 days (and be able to prove it), you have to register to vote, drive, and live [by register i mean prove that you have a lease or own property] here, you can't be a dependent in anther state, and generally you have to write a letter pleading your case as well. even with all of that they will often not grant residency. be really really careful with this misinformation because it could cost you literally hundreds of thousands of dollars here... unless something has changed in the last two years [it hasn't] i can promise you that there is almost no chance you'll qualify for residency in law school at a uc--if you are oos expect to pay oos tuition for three years

tl;dr http://registrar.berkeley.edu/tuition-f ... e-students and http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/Fees-Resi ... a-Resident

The thing about undergrad though is that nearly everyone is under the age of 24, so it's harder to prove the independence part.
Also the difference is not hundreds of thousands of dollars. The difference between resident tuition and nonresident tuition is relatively minimal (like $5k a year).

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:59 pm

lolol @ costing u "literally hundreds of thousands of dollars"

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:51 am

Rigo wrote:
lawlzschool wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Rigo wrote:It's super easy for Berkeley and UCLA and California in general. Just get a new driver's license and sign a lease and you'll be good.

I've heard it's impossible in Texas unless you pretty much buy property.


Even a lease just renting?! That's pretty awesome, though I guess it forces you to get off-campus housing if that wasn't your original plan.

North Carolina was like that too (the property thing). I think a lot of places are.

It's pretty awesome that you can end up with in-state tuition; saves like $6k/yr (assuming tuition doesn't increase much). I'll have to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info!


wait this is so far from true its borderline dangerous... i used to run residency appeals as an undergrad [at berkeley, hi adcomms, but happy to out myself for the cause] and it is an unbelievably arduous process wherein you have to keep records of all spend, you have to be physically present in the state of california for 365+1 days (and be able to prove it), you have to register to vote, drive, and live [by register i mean prove that you have a lease or own property] here, you can't be a dependent in anther state, and generally you have to write a letter pleading your case as well. even with all of that they will often not grant residency. be really really careful with this misinformation because it could cost you literally hundreds of thousands of dollars here... unless something has changed in the last two years [it hasn't] i can promise you that there is almost no chance you'll qualify for residency in law school at a uc--if you are oos expect to pay oos tuition for three years

tl;dr http://registrar.berkeley.edu/tuition-f ... e-students and http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/Fees-Resi ... a-Resident

The thing about undergrad though is that nearly everyone is under the age of 24, so it's harder to prove the independence part.
Also the difference is not hundreds of thousands of dollars. The difference between resident tuition and nonresident tuition is relatively minimal (like $5k a year).


Yeah, I wouldn't have been able to qualify for residency as a UG, but I'll be 24 the summer prior to 2L so I wouldn't have to worry about the dependency stuff that makes it difficult for UGs to get residency. I also plan to get a new DL whenever I go to LS anyway. I've had my DL since HS and the picture is so bad :lol: Rigo provided the residency requirements and I read over them and wouldn't have to worry about the dependency thing.

User avatar
lawlzschool

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawlzschool » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:26 am

Rigo wrote:
lawlzschool wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Rigo wrote:It's super easy for Berkeley and UCLA and California in general. Just get a new driver's license and sign a lease and you'll be good.

I've heard it's impossible in Texas unless you pretty much buy property.


Even a lease just renting?! That's pretty awesome, though I guess it forces you to get off-campus housing if that wasn't your original plan.

North Carolina was like that too (the property thing). I think a lot of places are.

It's pretty awesome that you can end up with in-state tuition; saves like $6k/yr (assuming tuition doesn't increase much). I'll have to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info!


wait this is so far from true its borderline dangerous... i used to run residency appeals as an undergrad [at berkeley, hi adcomms, but happy to out myself for the cause] and it is an unbelievably arduous process wherein you have to keep records of all spend, you have to be physically present in the state of california for 365+1 days (and be able to prove it), you have to register to vote, drive, and live [by register i mean prove that you have a lease or own property] here, you can't be a dependent in anther state, and generally you have to write a letter pleading your case as well. even with all of that they will often not grant residency. be really really careful with this misinformation because it could cost you literally hundreds of thousands of dollars here... unless something has changed in the last two years [it hasn't] i can promise you that there is almost no chance you'll qualify for residency in law school at a uc--if you are oos expect to pay oos tuition for three years

tl;dr http://registrar.berkeley.edu/tuition-f ... e-students and http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/Fees-Resi ... a-Resident

The thing about undergrad though is that nearly everyone is under the age of 24, so it's harder to prove the independence part.
Also the difference is not hundreds of thousands of dollars. The difference between resident tuition and nonresident tuition is relatively minimal (like $5k a year).



Ah I forgot that the difference was less for grad. For ungergrads it was something like 50k difference (im now solidly in-state so i've never looked at nonresident for ls). Still I think if one was to choose ucla or cal predicated on the idea that they would "save" money after a year it would cost a lot more given col is the highest at those schools, but that's fairly tangential. With all due respect--the independence part might still be quite challenging for you. If your out of state parents are paying for any portion, they will deny you, even if you are over the age of 24. Also, the independence part is one piece, there are still all those other requirements to satisfy. To put it a little more clearly, it isn't ONE intent portion you need to satisfy it is ALL of them. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I promise, firsthand, there is no easy part to this process and they do not want to grant residency where they don't have to.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:52 am

I think you're probably more pessimistic since you did appeals where the burden of proof was surely higher.

No point in going back and forth and beating our respective dead horses. People can do their own research given the info we've provided, and seek out anecdotes from past OOS UCLA 1L's.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:03 am

Rigo wrote:I think you're probably more pessimistic since you did appeals where the burden of proof was surely higher.

No point in going back and forth and beating our respective dead horses. People can do their own research given the info we've provided, and seek out anecdotes from past OOS UCLA 1L's.


id rather beat a dead horse in an anon forum fam.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:07 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Rigo wrote:I think you're probably more pessimistic since you did appeals where the burden of proof was surely higher.
No point in going back and forth and beating our respective dead horses. People can do their own research given the info we've provided, and seek out anecdotes from past OOS UCLA 1L's.

id rather beat a dead horse in an anon forum fam.

If you go to UCLA I'm going to anonymously send the registrar documents showing you have financial ties to each of the other 49 states.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:21 am

Rigo wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Rigo wrote:I think you're probably more pessimistic since you did appeals where the burden of proof was surely higher.
No point in going back and forth and beating our respective dead horses. People can do their own research given the info we've provided, and seek out anecdotes from past OOS UCLA 1L's.

id rather beat a dead horse in an anon forum fam.

If you go to UCLA I'm going to anonymously send the registrar documents showing you have financial ties to each of the other 49 states.

I WILL NEVER RELEASE MY TAX RETURNS

User avatar
lawlzschool

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawlzschool » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:47 am

Rigo wrote:I think you're probably more pessimistic since you did appeals where the burden of proof was surely higher.

No point in going back and forth and beating our respective dead horses. People can do their own research given the info we've provided, and seek out anecdotes from past OOS UCLA 1L's.


The burden is exactly the same. I wouldn't call it pessimistic, I'd call it realistic. I think it's a little bold of you to discount my 2.5 years of experience doing literally the thing you are talking about and defer to 1Ls but that's fine. Start saving your receipts and have fun with the "super easy" process l o l!

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 am

lawlzschool wrote:
Rigo wrote:I think you're probably more pessimistic since you did appeals where the burden of proof was surely higher.

No point in going back and forth and beating our respective dead horses. People can do their own research given the info we've provided, and seek out anecdotes from past OOS UCLA 1L's.


The burden is exactly the same. I wouldn't call it pessimistic, I'd call it realistic. I think it's a little bold of you to discount my 2.5 years of experience doing literally the thing you are talking about and defer to 1Ls but that's fine. Start saving your receipts and have fun with the "super easy" process l o l!

No need to be salty.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3244
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:01 pm

lawlzschool wrote:
Rigo wrote:I think you're probably more pessimistic since you did appeals where the burden of proof was surely higher.

No point in going back and forth and beating our respective dead horses. People can do their own research given the info we've provided, and seek out anecdotes from past OOS UCLA 1L's.


The burden is exactly the same. I wouldn't call it pessimistic, I'd call it realistic. I think it's a little bold of you to discount my 2.5 years of experience doing literally the thing you are talking about and defer to 1Ls but that's fine. Start saving your receipts and have fun with the "super easy" process l o l!


have fun being insufferable the rest of your life

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:21 pm

lawlzschool wrote:
Rigo wrote:I think you're probably more pessimistic since you did appeals where the burden of proof was surely higher.

No point in going back and forth and beating our respective dead horses. People can do their own research given the info we've provided, and seek out anecdotes from past OOS UCLA 1L's.


The burden is exactly the same. I wouldn't call it pessimistic, I'd call it realistic. I think it's a little bold of you to discount my 2.5 years of experience doing literally the thing you are talking about and defer to 1Ls but that's fine. Start saving your receipts and have fun with the "super easy" process l o l!


The burden ISN'T exactly the same though... You can literally see that when you read the requirements to qualify. It's harder for undergrads to gain residency. They even say it's harder for undergrads to gain residency on the site.......

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Rigo wrote:I think you're probably more pessimistic since you did appeals where the burden of proof was surely higher.
No point in going back and forth and beating our respective dead horses. People can do their own research given the info we've provided, and seek out anecdotes from past OOS UCLA 1L's.

id rather beat a dead horse in an anon forum fam.

If you go to UCLA I'm going to anonymously send the registrar documents showing you have financial ties to each of the other 49 states.

I WILL NEVER RELEASE MY TAX RETURNS


:lol:

HowdyDoo

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby HowdyDoo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Rigo wrote:
HowdyDoo wrote:I am just now applying with a 175 LSAT 3.92 GPA. I know it's goodish stats but since this is so late in the game, could anyone tell me what they think my decision turnaround would be? It would be stressful to not hear until March or something. Thanks!

You'll probably get WL, not because of timing but because your numbers are way too good.


Ahh that would really suck because UCLA is basically tied for my top choice, especially since I'm a So Cal resident. I will hopefully be able to write a letter to convince them of that without sounding too entitled to getting in in the first place. Thanks for the advice! Also if anyone else has tips to prove your interest I would appreciate it

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:43 pm

HowdyDoo wrote:
Rigo wrote:
HowdyDoo wrote:I am just now applying with a 175 LSAT 3.92 GPA. I know it's goodish stats but since this is so late in the game, could anyone tell me what they think my decision turnaround would be? It would be stressful to not hear until March or something. Thanks!

You'll probably get WL, not because of timing but because your numbers are way too good.


Ahh that would really suck because UCLA is basically tied for my top choice, especially since I'm a So Cal resident. I will hopefully be able to write a letter to convince them of that without sounding too entitled to getting in in the first place. Thanks for the advice! Also if anyone else has tips to prove your interest I would appreciate it


I think if you write a why UCLA and give solid reasons as to why it is your top choice (well, tied for, but same same) it's possible you'll get in rather than being a victim of YP. I think the main reason ppl with stats like yours (congrats on those, btw lol) is because they assume that you can - and will - attend a higher ranked school because you'll definitely be accepted there (pending no HUGE application errors/C&F problems).

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1907
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Pozzo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:34 pm

brinicolec wrote:
HowdyDoo wrote:
Rigo wrote:
HowdyDoo wrote:I am just now applying with a 175 LSAT 3.92 GPA. I know it's goodish stats but since this is so late in the game, could anyone tell me what they think my decision turnaround would be? It would be stressful to not hear until March or something. Thanks!

You'll probably get WL, not because of timing but because your numbers are way too good.


Ahh that would really suck because UCLA is basically tied for my top choice, especially since I'm a So Cal resident. I will hopefully be able to write a letter to convince them of that without sounding too entitled to getting in in the first place. Thanks for the advice! Also if anyone else has tips to prove your interest I would appreciate it


I think if you write a why UCLA and give solid reasons as to why it is your top choice (well, tied for, but same same) it's possible you'll get in rather than being a victim of YP. I think the main reason ppl with stats like yours (congrats on those, btw lol) is because they assume that you can - and will - attend a higher ranked school because you'll definitely be accepted there (pending no HUGE application errors/C&F problems).

I had similar numbers and was not YP'd. I did not write a "Why UCLA?" but rather let my programmatic contribution essay do the work. 10 days between submit and decision.

imtca

New
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:50 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby imtca » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:00 pm

just got waitlisted :cry:

snowball17

New
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby snowball17 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:09 pm

imtca wrote:just got waitlisted :cry:


:( UCLA is being really weird with their WL decisions this cycle
Not trying to sound like a stalker lol but do you have the same username on lsn? Your numbers are really competitive!

imtca

New
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:50 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby imtca » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:19 pm

snowball17 wrote:
imtca wrote:just got waitlisted :cry:


:( UCLA is being really weird with their WL decisions this cycle
Not trying to sound like a stalker lol but do you have the same username on lsn? Your numbers are really competitive!


yes, same username! I was kinda surprised, but I'm hoping it was due to the lack of a programmatic contribution essay, because I'm definitely not in YP zone. I'm writing a Why UCLA and LOCI now, and hopefully that helps!

User avatar
AtSomePointItMatters

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:02 am

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby AtSomePointItMatters » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. Figured I'd chime in to serve as a data point for those interested. I was accepted via phone call in November, ~3 weeks after going complete.

Non-CA resident, non-URM
Unsolicited fee waiver
50 < GPA < 75 at Ivy
25 < LSAT < 50

User avatar
lawlzschool

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawlzschool » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:30 am

imtca wrote:
snowball17 wrote:
imtca wrote:just got waitlisted :cry:


:( UCLA is being really weird with their WL decisions this cycle
Not trying to sound like a stalker lol but do you have the same username on lsn? Your numbers are really competitive!


yes, same username! I was kinda surprised, but I'm hoping it was due to the lack of a programmatic contribution essay, because I'm definitely not in YP zone. I'm writing a Why UCLA and LOCI now, and hopefully that helps!


i agree with you... i was wl'ed at the medians and did not do a programmatic contribution

next year's applicants, DO IT

User avatar
mtf612

Bronze
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 am

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mtf612 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:55 pm

In today via phone. Over both 75ths. Socal resident. Did not write a program contribution. Went complete 1/3

bulldog5

New
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bulldog5 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Was admitted today via phone call! Went complete on 12/24.
LSAT = 50th %, GPA > 75th %
I wonder if UCLA will have as quick a turnaround with their scholarship offer as USC did. :?:

User avatar
Christinabruin

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Christinabruin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:00 pm

bulldog5 wrote:Was admitted today via phone call! Went complete on 12/24.
LSAT = 50th %, GPA > 75th %
I wonder if UCLA will have as quick a turnaround with their scholarship offer as USC did. :?:


Congrats!! I was admitted back in Nov. and still haven't heard of any scholly offers yet :| has anyone else heard back?

User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: UCLA Law School c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Motionsinlemons » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:43 am

Christinabruin wrote:
bulldog5 wrote:Was admitted today via phone call! Went complete on 12/24.
LSAT = 50th %, GPA > 75th %
I wonder if UCLA will have as quick a turnaround with their scholarship offer as USC did. :?:


Congrats!! I was admitted back in Nov. and still haven't heard of any scholly offers yet :| has anyone else heard back?


Dean Schwartz told me when I went to visit that they start giving out scholarships around February and March-ish.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests