USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rigo

Diamond

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:51 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Rigo wrote:ASW people: have you figured out how the stipend works? Do you just need to provide flight receipts after the fact or get specific travel plans approved beforehand?

Also all my friends in LA are on the west side so I'll probably just do a hotel closer to USC. What else is everyone doing for lodging? Might be down to split with a non-psycho gay friendly male or female.

You request the stipend on the admitted students portal. The actual law school day sign up is not open yet, and the admit tour days are full. But the stipend only works for those days, and you actually book your flight through USC's travel thing, which is weird. I think I'm going to be flying in, going to the event, and flying out without getting a place. Aren't hotels there super expensive?

Okay thanks I just checked out the portal, but yeah that's weird how we can't confirm ASW attendance.
Kind of has me wondering what to do. I should probably just wait to see if I get a competitive scholarship first.

And I was thinking we'd all be social and go out that weekend after the formal events. Maybe I'm naively expecting a pretty social weekend or something.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:53 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Rigo wrote:ASW people: have you figured out how the stipend works? Do you just need to provide flight receipts after the fact or get specific travel plans approved beforehand?

Also all my friends in LA are on the west side so I'll probably just do a hotel closer to USC. What else is everyone doing for lodging? Might be down to split with a non-psycho gay friendly male or female.

You request the stipend on the admitted students portal. The actual law school day sign up is not open yet, and the admit tour days are full. But the stipend only works for those days, and you actually book your flight through USC's travel thing, which is weird. I think I'm going to be flying in, going to the event, and flying out without getting a place. Aren't hotels there super expensive?

You can find some for 100 a day in LA. Last time I went I found one for 69 but it wasn't the nicest.

lawpotato

Bronze

Postby lawpotato » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:57 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:
dyebri wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Hey guys,

Had any of the Rothman applicants received a confirmation mail acknowledging receipt of the Rothman application? I had applied to USC (and for Rothman) on 5th January. I am still 'complete' and not even UR. Since the Rothman finalists seem to be finalized, I am worried if they didn't even consider me for Rothman (had they done that, I should have been UR at least). Do you think I should check with admissions about it?

Thanks

how do you know that the finalists are finalized. I dont think they are because i called today and they said they are still deciding

Yeah, so I actually don't know. I said 'seem to be' based on a couple of earlier posts about 2-3 weeks back wherein people said they got calls - nothing after that ITT! I assumed they would call all finalists around the same time. Apologize for the anxiety it may have caused :)

I had a video interview last week. I learned that they interviewed ~30ish people and they said they were going to narrow it down to four finalists that they would bring out to campus for a full day interview. I asked when we would know if we were one of the four finalists and they just said "shortly". This was all last Wednesday so idk when exactly "shortly" will be. I don't know if they are still scheduling the video interviews.

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Rigo wrote:
chargers21 wrote:

Okay thanks I just checked out the portal, but yeah that's weird how we can't confirm ASW attendance.
Kind of has me wondering what to do. I should probably just wait to see if I get a competitive scholarship first.

And I was thinking we'd all be social and go out that weekend after the formal events. Maybe I'm naively expecting a pretty social weekend or something.

Would it be out of the question to have your friends meet you near the school, grab drinks with ppl, and then go back to the coast to crash with them since it is just one day? I don't know where your friends are but depending on traffic it might be worth a 30-40 minute drive to save $70-100

laqueredup

Bronze

Postby laqueredup » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:59 pm

USC is just seeming unbearably slow for me this cycle. Granted I'm still waiting on others, but come on, UCLA gave me a decision months ago at this point and I went complete with USC at the same time!

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:00 pm

BoyJord wrote:Would it be out of the question to have your friends meet you near the school, grab drinks with ppl, and then go back to the coast to crash with them since it is just one day? I don't know where your friends are but depending on traffic it might be worth a 30-40 minute drive to save $70-100

I guess I was just thinking that if I'm going to be doing stuff with asw people it'd be kind of rude to use friends for a place to stay but not hang out with them.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:01 pm

laqueredup wrote:USC is just seeming unbearably slow for me this cycle. Granted I'm still waiting on others, but come on, UCLA gave me a decision months ago at this point and I went complete with USC at the same time!

Opposite for me. USC let me in on the first wave. I'm still waiting on UCLA. It's the last school I'm waiting on.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:01 pm

laqueredup wrote:USC is just seeming unbearably slow for me this cycle. Granted I'm still waiting on others, but come on, UCLA gave me a decision months ago at this point and I went complete with USC at the same time!

I've kind of written off UCLA in my mind after being lowballed so really hoping for some USC magic or else it's bye bye moving back to LA.

crookedsmile

Bronze

Postby crookedsmile » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Seems like the invitation for Law Day will be going out next week per the admitted FB group.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Bronze

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:04 pm

lawpotato wrote:
dyebri wrote:

Had any of the Rothman applicants received a confirmation mail acknowledging receipt of the Rothman application? I had applied to USC (and for Rothman) on 5th January. I am still 'complete' and not even UR. Since the Rothman finalists seem to be finalized, I am worried if they didn't even consider me for Rothman (had they done that, I should have been UR at least). Do you think I should check with admissions about it?

Thanks

how do you know that the finalists are finalized. I dont think they are because i called today and they said they are still deciding

Yeah, so I actually don't know. I said 'seem to be' based on a couple of earlier posts about 2-3 weeks back wherein people said they got calls - nothing after that ITT! I assumed they would call all finalists around the same time. Apologize for the anxiety it may have caused :)

I had a video interview last week. I learned that they interviewed ~30ish people and they said they were going to narrow it down to four finalists that they would bring out to campus for a full day interview. I asked when we would know if we were one of the four finalists and they just said "shortly". This was all last Wednesday so idk when exactly "shortly" will be. I don't know if they are still scheduling the video interviews.

Thanks a lot, lawpotato. Here's hoping that you are the bringer of diversity to the Rothman scholars group!

lawpotato

Bronze

Postby lawpotato » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:11 pm

lawpotato wrote:
dyebri wrote:

Thanks

Thanks a lot, lawpotato. Here's hoping that you are the bringer of diversity to the Rothman scholars group!

Thank you! Hopefully they are still doing interviews and you get a call back soon too!

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Rigo wrote:
BoyJord wrote:Would it be out of the question to have your friends meet you near the school, grab drinks with ppl, and then go back to the coast to crash with them since it is just one day? I don't know where your friends are but depending on traffic it might be worth a 30-40 minute drive to save $70-100

I guess I was just thinking that if I'm going to be doing stuff with asw people it'd be kind of rude to use friends for a place to stay but not hang out with them.

If you're hanging out with the ASW crew "after-hours" why not invite your local friends as well? Maybe I am missing something but I'm thinking the more the merrier, if it's just drinks and food at a random spot, unrelated to the ASW schedule. Also could be good for ASW ppl to meet some LA connections unrelated to school and visa versa.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:14 pm

BoyJord wrote:
Rigo wrote:

If you're hanging out with the ASW crew "after-hours" why not invite your local friends as well? Maybe I am missing something but I'm thinking the more the merrier, if it's just drinks and food at a random spot, unrelated to the ASW schedule. Also could be good for ASW ppl to meet some LA connections unrelated to school and visa versa.

Oh okay.
Thank you for helping me cope with my severe Aspergers.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Rigo wrote:
BoyJord wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Oh okay.

TLS drink off lol

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Rigo wrote:
BoyJord wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Oh okay.

hahaha no problem. I mean I am also talking myself into the same situation. If I go to ASW I will need to crash with some friends (hopefully in Pasadena, maybe elsewhere on the west side). If I stay with them and official USC events end and I find myself grabbing food or drinks with ASW folks, I will definitely call up my friends to meet us.
1) so i have a ride back
2) cause i like drinking with my friends
3) i am constantly thinking that every friendship/connection will end up being beneficial to all parties so I would want my "non-law" friends to meet my new law school friends

blossomisaloaf

New

Postby blossomisaloaf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:06 pm

chargers21 wrote:

AirBNB! I've never stayed in a hotel in LA so I can't really give a cost comparison but I did AirBNB hop for a couple months while I was looking for a new place and they were usually between $30-$60/night and at no point was I killed... so overall a pretty decent experience.

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Postby JD_Kingfish » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:42 pm

chargers21 wrote:

Do you know if guests can book through the travel agency too?

The_Gavel

New

Postby The_Gavel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:53 pm

In!!
Last edited by The_Gavel on Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:11 pm

alexp wrote:Received 1/31/17

3.99/160

Accepted 3/2/17

Good Luck Reverse Splitters haha!!

My good Lord that GPA lol

chichi1992

Bronze

Postby chichi1992 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:14 pm

Is anyone else going to the DC admitted students reception? Or any other regional reception, for that matter? I put down info for my SO to come with--he's fantastic and all, but I also don't want it to be weird if I'm the only one bringing a plus-one...thoughts? (He is going to a ~fancy~ business school and will be interning in LA every summer if that's where I end up, so his opinion kind of matters).

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:55 pm

somedeadman wrote:Anyone know when rothman finalists come out? And is it safe to assume that if they didn't offer a candidate big money for the first offer, then said candidate is most likely not a rothman finalist?

Bump

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:13 pm

somedeadman wrote:
somedeadman wrote:Anyone know when rothman finalists come out? And is it safe to assume that if they didn't offer a candidate big money for the first offer, then said candidate is most likely not a rothman finalist?

Bump

I would bet that they come from the top tier of schollies offered already. i.e. 157.5k

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:13 pm

chargers21 wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

Bump

I would bet that they come from the top tier of schollies offered already. i.e. 157.5k

Yeah, that what I think

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Game day. I'll see y'all on campus. I'm a 6'2 buff black guy with a beard and shaved head. I will be wearing a green bomber jacket lol.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:Game day. I'll see y'all on campus. I'm a 6'2 buff black guy with a beard and shaved head. I will be wearing a green bomber jacket lol.

We get it, Chuckles. You're hot.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?