USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
imtca

New
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:50 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby imtca » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 am

njdevils327 wrote:
imtca wrote:
njdevils327 wrote:Still being under review since 1/9 while people who submitted after me are getting in with worse numbers is making me anxious.



Exact same situation, it gets worse every day


I think you and I were the people with the exact same scores too right? Welp. Maybe they're just trying to decide how much to give both of us in scholarships haha


Yes I think so! I really hope that's it because I was honestly expecting a really quick turnaround from them

User avatar
blossomisaloaf

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:00 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby blossomisaloaf » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:37 am

chichi1992 wrote:In as of yesterday! Went complete 1-23, went under review...sometime between 1-23 and two weeks ago. GPA 25-50; LSAT > 75. I won't know how serious I am about USC until I get $$ info, but a few questions:

1. I saw one post on here about a stipend for attending tours--is that a thing? On the admitted students checklist, I still see the "Law Day" info listed as TBD. Anyone know if we can get stipends for Law Day? I'll be coming from the East Coast, and ASW trips are really starting to add up...

2. It might be WAY too early to discuss housing, but that is a major part of my $$ calculus. (I.e., BU gave me a nice scholarship, but I am really not thrilled about the prospect of spending $1,500/month on housing). I poked around the USC admitted students site for housing info, and it seems like student housing is RIDICULOUSLY inexpensive! $1,125/month including all utilities?! And even cheaper options outside of Terrace? Can't even be real. That being said, I have a dog, so student housing isn't going to work for me. Does anyone who is more familiar with the area have a sense of how much off-campus housing might cost, on average?


Housing right off of the USC campus is inexpensive because the area is not so hot. It can be very dangerous but once it gets dark there are USC security guards posted on pretty much every block (not joking) and there are also free Ubers within a few miles of the school in the evenings. That being said a studio apartment in the area is typically $700-$1000.

I lived in Downtown LA with my dog for a bit which is a quick bus trip from campus and paid $1000 for my own awesome bedroom in a shared loft. I'll probably end up moving back to DTLA if I go to USC. A studio in DT is usually between $1,200-$2,000 depending on which part of DT you're shopping around in.

Apartments in Koreatown and Silverlake are also pretty inexpensive while being relatively safe and close. The exposition line runs right by campus and you can hop on the red line/ purple line to the expo line from Hollywood, Silverlake, or Ktown and be on campus within 15-30 minutes.

Hope this helps!

User avatar
chichi1992

Bronze
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby chichi1992 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:51 am

blossomisaloaf wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:In as of yesterday! Went complete 1-23, went under review...sometime between 1-23 and two weeks ago. GPA 25-50; LSAT > 75. I won't know how serious I am about USC until I get $$ info, but a few questions:

1. I saw one post on here about a stipend for attending tours--is that a thing? On the admitted students checklist, I still see the "Law Day" info listed as TBD. Anyone know if we can get stipends for Law Day? I'll be coming from the East Coast, and ASW trips are really starting to add up...

2. It might be WAY too early to discuss housing, but that is a major part of my $$ calculus. (I.e., BU gave me a nice scholarship, but I am really not thrilled about the prospect of spending $1,500/month on housing). I poked around the USC admitted students site for housing info, and it seems like student housing is RIDICULOUSLY inexpensive! $1,125/month including all utilities?! And even cheaper options outside of Terrace? Can't even be real. That being said, I have a dog, so student housing isn't going to work for me. Does anyone who is more familiar with the area have a sense of how much off-campus housing might cost, on average?


Housing right off of the USC campus is inexpensive because the area is not so hot. It can be very dangerous but once it gets dark there are USC security guards posted on pretty much every block (not joking) and there are also free Ubers within a few miles of the school in the evenings. That being said a studio apartment in the area is typically $700-$1000.

I lived in Downtown LA with my dog for a bit which is a quick bus trip from campus and paid $1000 for my own awesome bedroom in a shared loft. I'll probably end up moving back to DTLA if I go to USC. A studio in DT is usually between $1,200-$2,000 depending on which part of DT you're shopping around in.

Apartments in Koreatown and Silverlake are also pretty inexpensive while being relatively safe and close. The exposition line runs right by campus and you can hop on the red line/ purple line to the expo line from Hollywood, Silverlake, or Ktown and be on campus within 15-30 minutes.

Hope this helps!


Thanks, this is very helpful! Even $1,200-$1,300 isn't as bad as what I've been seeing in Boston/DC/NYC. Unfortunately, my 20lb mutt who is afraid of garbage trucks and rain will not be helpful in a dangerous neighborhood :) I'll look around in Koreatown, Silverlake, and Downtown to see what the options are like.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:00 pm

chichi1992 wrote:Thanks, this is very helpful! Even $1,200-$1,300 isn't as bad as what I've been seeing in Boston/DC/NYC. Unfortunately, my 20lb mutt who is afraid of garbage trucks and rain will not be helpful in a dangerous neighborhood :) I'll look around in Koreatown, Silverlake, and Downtown to see what the options are like.

Try Silverlake and Echo Park. I've never felt unsafe walking around at night so long as you're east of the 101. They're pretty hip* areas too, which isn't saying a lot for LA but still.

*hip as in hipsters and street art and cool boutiques and coffee shops. Not hip as in trendy and scene-y.

MikeJD

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby MikeJD » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:39 pm

So are they aiming at 165 median or trying to go back to 166?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:01 pm

MikeJD wrote:So are they aiming at 165 median or trying to go back to 166?


Not to be rude, but nobody in this thread or on TLS will be able to answer this question. You'll need to wait for the next ABA 509 to be released.

User avatar
hammy393

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby hammy393 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:20 pm

Anyone else notified that they're a recipient of the inaugural Honors Scholar Program? Details to follow apparently.

This is all I could find on it: https://news.usc.edu/91084/new-scholars ... -students/

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:25 pm

MikeJD wrote:So are they aiming at 165 median or trying to go back to 166?

Can't tell for sure, but LSN indicates a 165 median this cycle, since there are several acceptances in the 3.5-3.7/165 range.

User avatar
lawlzschool

Bronze
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby lawlzschool » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:34 pm

hammy393 wrote:Anyone else notified that they're a recipient of the inaugural Honors Scholar Program? Details to follow apparently.

This is all I could find on it: https://news.usc.edu/91084/new-scholars ... -students/


i did not, but damn congrats!

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:39 pm

hammy393 wrote:Anyone else notified that they're a recipient of the inaugural Honors Scholar Program? Details to follow apparently.

This is all I could find on it: https://news.usc.edu/91084/new-scholars ... -students/


Yes. I think its like a mentoring program.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Mr_Chukes » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:49 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
hammy393 wrote:Anyone else notified that they're a recipient of the inaugural Honors Scholar Program? Details to follow apparently.

This is all I could find on it: https://news.usc.edu/91084/new-scholars ... -students/


Yes. I think its like a mentoring program.

Congratulations to you guys!

playersball

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:58 am

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby playersball » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:51 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
hammy393 wrote:Anyone else notified that they're a recipient of the inaugural Honors Scholar Program? Details to follow apparently.

This is all I could find on it: https://news.usc.edu/91084/new-scholars ... -students/


Yes. I think its like a mentoring program.


I got the same exact email for the second time, but haven't received any additional info since the first email about a month ago.

I also was selected as a finalist for their PI Scholars program. Has anyone heard back for this program?

Shihbro

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Shihbro » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:41 pm

Been complete since early January and the first movement I've seen was today with "Application Withdrawn per your request"....except I didn't request it -_-

Alma mater, thank you for the weekend panic attack.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:42 pm

Shihbro wrote:Been complete since early January and the first movement I've seen was "Application Withdrawn per your request"....except I didn't request it -_-

Alma mater, thank you for the weekend panic attack.

Good thing you caught that. Like wtf

Shihbro

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Shihbro » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:47 pm

Rigo wrote:
Shihbro wrote:Been complete since early January and the first movement I've seen was "Application Withdrawn per your request"....except I didn't request it -_-

Alma mater, thank you for the weekend panic attack.

Good thing you caught that. Like wtf


Seriously though. Obsessive status checking can pay off

Shihbro

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Shihbro » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:54 pm

chichi1992 wrote:In as of yesterday! Went complete 1-23, went under review...sometime between 1-23 and two weeks ago. GPA 25-50; LSAT > 75. I won't know how serious I am about USC until I get $$ info, but a few questions:

1. I saw one post on here about a stipend for attending tours--is that a thing? On the admitted students checklist, I still see the "Law Day" info listed as TBD. Anyone know if we can get stipends for Law Day? I'll be coming from the East Coast, and ASW trips are really starting to add up...

2. It might be WAY too early to discuss housing, but that is a major part of my $$ calculus. (I.e., BU gave me a nice scholarship, but I am really not thrilled about the prospect of spending $1,500/month on housing). I poked around the USC admitted students site for housing info, and it seems like student housing is RIDICULOUSLY inexpensive! $1,125/month including all utilities?! And even cheaper options outside of Terrace? Can't even be real. That being said, I have a dog, so student housing isn't going to work for me. Does anyone who is more familiar with the area have a sense of how much off-campus housing might cost, on average?


Congrats! Went to USC undergrad. If you're trying to stay very close to campus i.e. a 5 min bike walk or 10-15 min walk stick to:
East of Vermont
North of Expo
South of Adams
and West of Fig

These are the safest areas but in my four years I've never felt that the area was dangerous. Just be aware of your surroundings instead of walking with your head down, texting (what way too many students do).

You'll also find many of the places do not have websites/easy to find online. If you visit I highly recommend you go street-by-street to write down the posted phone numbers of places.

User avatar
cherrygalore

Bronze
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby cherrygalore » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:41 pm

How long did it take those admitted via email to receive their packet in the mail?

User avatar
cherrygalore

Bronze
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby cherrygalore » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
BoyJord wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:When is the April USC admitted students day/weekend? Can't find it on here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=272188&hilit=admitted+students+weekend

(Not admitted yet...just trying to plan my weekends...)


April 14th is Law Day but there are admitted student TOUR DAY(s) on March 10th and 27th

Also March 3rd. I'm not going to the admitted tour. I'm going to the basketball game event but i don't know anyone else on here who is going lol.


I might go to the game

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Mr_Chukes » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:45 pm

cherrygalore wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
BoyJord wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:When is the April USC admitted students day/weekend? Can't find it on here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=272188&hilit=admitted+students+weekend

(Not admitted yet...just trying to plan my weekends...)


April 14th is Law Day but there are admitted student TOUR DAY(s) on March 10th and 27th

Also March 3rd. I'm not going to the admitted tour. I'm going to the basketball game event but i don't know anyone else on here who is going lol.


I might go to the game

You should. I don't know anyone else who is going lol. The event is going to be in a suite with food and alumni as well.

User avatar
cherrygalore

Bronze
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby cherrygalore » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:You should. I don't know anyone else who is going lol. The event is going to be in a suite with food and alumni as well.


Ok cool I'll email and see if there is still room.

fazzvm56

Bronze
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby fazzvm56 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:56 am

Finally under review after being complete since mid-October lol

JD_Kingfish

Bronze
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:02 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby JD_Kingfish » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:29 am

Has anyone been able to RSVP for Law Day yet or have any idea when we will be able to RSVP? I doesn't allow me to RSVP from the admitted students checklist yet.

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Mr_Chukes » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:34 am

JD_Kingfish wrote:Has anyone been able to RSVP for Law Day yet or have any idea when we will be able to RSVP? I doesn't allow me to RSVP from the admitted students checklist yet.

Nope it is still unavailable.

User avatar
mudiverse

Bronze
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:31 am

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby mudiverse » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:04 am

fazzvm56 wrote:Finally under review after being complete since mid-October lol


Im getting slow played too fam.

Hopes are at an all time low.

adidasz

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby adidasz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:11 pm

mudiverse wrote:
fazzvm56 wrote:Finally under review after being complete since mid-October lol


Im getting slow played too fam.

Hopes are at an all time low.


Me as hell



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: goingsouth17 and 9 guests