USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adidasz

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby adidasz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:07 pm

vho1791 wrote:
adidasz wrote:I've been Complete for over a month now! How long did it take you guys to go from Complete to In Review?!


yeah, I have been complete since 11/9.


Holy crap.

User avatar
chili_davis

Bronze
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby chili_davis » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:25 pm

adidasz wrote:I've been Complete for over a month now! How long did it take you guys to go from Complete to In Review?!


+1

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 pm

playersball wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:Did anyone just get an email about some honors program? What are the perks? It says nothing in the email lol execpt for me to ask admissions more about it???

+1 from what I read online it seems like you get assigned a mentor and get invited to special dinners/seminars, not really sure what it is tho


I mean I'm about it if it means scholarship $$


Saaame haha but im like when do we know how much?? It would be awesome to get up to full-ride


I got this response when I inquired about the scholarship in general:

"Thank you for the e-mail regarding your selection as an Honors Scholar. I can fill in some of the specifics for you and there will be additional details in follow-up e-mails. The primary purpose of the program is to encourage some of the strongest admitted students to attend by creating a small cohort (approximately 20 people) within the larger first-year class which is offered some exciting opportunities. These opportunities include: professional networking, mentorship, social activities, a reception at Dean Guzman’s home, the ability to serve on the Honors Scholars Advisory Board and plan additional events. While there is nothing offered that is not necessarily available to all students, we have put together a package that makes all of this easily accessible to you."

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Honors Scholars people: what are your numbers? 20 doesn't seem like a lot but they must figure most will go elsewhere.

treetops_rising

New
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby treetops_rising » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:34 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
playersball wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:Did anyone just get an email about some honors program? What are the perks? It says nothing in the email lol execpt for me to ask admissions more about it???

+1 from what I read online it seems like you get assigned a mentor and get invited to special dinners/seminars, not really sure what it is tho


I mean I'm about it if it means scholarship $$


Saaame haha but im like when do we know how much?? It would be awesome to get up to full-ride


I got this response when I inquired about the scholarship in general:

"Thank you for the e-mail regarding your selection as an Honors Scholar. I can fill in some of the specifics for you and there will be additional details in follow-up e-mails. The primary purpose of the program is to encourage some of the strongest admitted students to attend by creating a small cohort (approximately 20 people) within the larger first-year class which is offered some exciting opportunities. These opportunities include: professional networking, mentorship, social activities, a reception at Dean Guzman’s home, the ability to serve on the Honors Scholars Advisory Board and plan additional events. While there is nothing offered that is not necessarily available to all students, we have put together a package that makes all of this easily accessible to you."


Literally sounds like exactly what I SHOULD have opportunity to participate in considering COA.
If this doesn't also include increased scholarship money then....... :roll:

playersball

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:58 am

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby playersball » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:50 pm

treetops_rising wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
playersball wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:Did anyone just get an email about some honors program? What are the perks? It says nothing in the email lol execpt for me to ask admissions more about it???

+1 from what I read online it seems like you get assigned a mentor and get invited to special dinners/seminars, not really sure what it is tho


I mean I'm about it if it means scholarship $$


Saaame haha but im like when do we know how much?? It would be awesome to get up to full-ride


I got this response when I inquired about the scholarship in general:

"Thank you for the e-mail regarding your selection as an Honors Scholar. I can fill in some of the specifics for you and there will be additional details in follow-up e-mails. The primary purpose of the program is to encourage some of the strongest admitted students to attend by creating a small cohort (approximately 20 people) within the larger first-year class which is offered some exciting opportunities. These opportunities include: professional networking, mentorship, social activities, a reception at Dean Guzman’s home, the ability to serve on the Honors Scholars Advisory Board and plan additional events. While there is nothing offered that is not necessarily available to all students, we have put together a package that makes all of this easily accessible to you."


Literally sounds like exactly what I SHOULD have opportunity to participate in considering COA.
If this doesn't also include increased scholarship money then....... :roll:


Solid point treetops. I'm stoked to have been selected but I hope they provide more information soon.

playersball

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:58 am

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby playersball » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:53 pm

Rigo wrote:Honors Scholars people: what are your numbers? 20 doesn't seem like a lot but they must figure most will go elsewhere.


LSAT a few above 75th and GPA right below 75th

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:30 am

playersball wrote:
Rigo wrote:Honors Scholars people: what are your numbers? 20 doesn't seem like a lot but they must figure most will go elsewhere.


LSAT a few above 75th and GPA right below 75th


LSAT right below 75th and GPA above 75th

User avatar
chargers21

Gold
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby chargers21 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:44 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
playersball wrote:
Rigo wrote:Honors Scholars people: what are your numbers? 20 doesn't seem like a lot but they must figure most will go elsewhere.


LSAT a few above 75th and GPA right below 75th


LSAT right below 75th and GPA above 75th

hmm figures I would have gotten it then if based solely on numbers... above both 75ths

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:33 pm

chargers21 wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
playersball wrote:
Rigo wrote:Honors Scholars people: what are your numbers? 20 doesn't seem like a lot but they must figure most will go elsewhere.


LSAT a few above 75th and GPA right below 75th


LSAT right below 75th and GPA above 75th

hmm figures I would have gotten it then if based solely on numbers... above both 75ths


I didn't have killer softs, but I did have a very good personal statement about overcoming a family tragedy, so that's the only thing I can think of that would have made my application stick out.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Everybody above 75ths (or some other threshold) should just be in this club. I'll be annoyed if I don't get it now and I will let it negatively Impact my impression of USC.

I know how to hold a grudge.

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Rigo wrote:Everybody above 75ths (or some other threshold) should just be in this club. I'll be annoyed if I don't get it now and I will let it negatively Impact my impression of USC.

I know how to hold a grudge.


There are more things that matter in an application than just numbers.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:42 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Rigo wrote:Everybody above 75ths (or some other threshold) should just be in this club. I'll be annoyed if I don't get it now and I will let it negatively Impact my impression of USC.
I know how to hold a grudge.

There are more things that matter in an application than just numbers.

I know, but I'd still feel a certain way.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:43 pm

And these little things quite frankly matter to people psychologically in a field where all our INJUSTICE radars are fine tuned to the slightest slights.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Really I just want movement and money though. It's the weekend so I can focus on petty stuff.

dclaw93

Bronze
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 9:44 am

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby dclaw93 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:52 pm

Anyone else still "In Review" since 1/9?

Starting to think USC forgot about me..

adidasz

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby adidasz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:59 pm

dclaw93 wrote:Anyone else still "In Review" since 1/9?

Starting to think USC forgot about me..


Lucky you. Been "complete" since Jan 1. :/

User avatar
Greenteachurro

Silver
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:20 am

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Greenteachurro » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Just got my scholarship offer. Ouch.


Did they lowball you?


Feels like it, less than half a year.


how were your numbers?

User avatar
Greenteachurro

Silver
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:20 am

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Greenteachurro » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:12 pm

How long did people wait in the "in review" limbo before getting an answer? I've been "In review" for like a couple of weeks now.

lawpotato

Bronze
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby lawpotato » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Anyone have any advice about scholarship negotiations for USC? I got a pretty decent scholarship but would love to bump it up a little more.

User avatar
Motionsinlemons

New
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Motionsinlemons » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Greenteachurro wrote:How long did people wait in the "in review" limbo before getting an answer? I've been "In review" for like a couple of weeks now.

+1

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:21 pm

lawpotato wrote:Anyone have any advice about scholarship negotiations for USC? I got a pretty decent scholarship but would love to bump it up a little more.

UCLA acceptance and offer?
Any other top 20 or 25ish scholarships?
Any SoCal full rides?

You just have to make them see you have better options so they incentivize you.

User avatar
Greenteachurro

Silver
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:20 am

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Greenteachurro » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:31 pm

lawpotato wrote:Anyone have any advice about scholarship negotiations for USC? I got a pretty decent scholarship but would love to bump it up a little more.


Not sure about USC specifically, but I think the standard operating procedure for scholarship negotiation is to use scholarships from other similarly ranked schools and use those to leverage yourself into a better scholarship. If you have a better scholarship, I would just send an email to fin aid or something detailing that scholarship and how you'd like to attend USC but with the better scholarship on the table, it would be difficult to choose USC due to financial reasons or something like that.

I'm pretty sure unless its stated otherwise in the acceptance letter, you just have to email with a better offer or I guess a similar offer.

User avatar
Torres1893

Bronze
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:21 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Torres1893 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:
Greenteachurro wrote:How long did people wait in the "in review" limbo before getting an answer? I've been "In review" for like a couple of weeks now.

+1


I was in review for 40 days, but that was when they started reviewing people. I think since the new year it's been around a 2-3 week wait for a decision once you go in review.

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude

Silver
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: USC c/o 2020 Applicants Thread (2016-2017)

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Greenteachurro wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
treetops_rising wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Just got my scholarship offer. Ouch.


Did they lowball you?


Feels like it, less than half a year.


how were your numbers?


168/3.4. Nothing great, but I thought I'd get about 90k based on LSN.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests