UF c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MOLaw

New

Re: UF c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MOLaw » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Lasow wrote:
Doesthenamematter wrote:
jcraze523 wrote:They are really taking their sweet sweet time.

Seriously

Ive accepted the fact I'm going to blow $500 on a deposit for another school

Same. Ive come to terms with it.

NorCalOldGuy

New

Postby NorCalOldGuy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:56 pm

I've recently spoke with admissions and basically no one will be admitted this week. Just rejections going out, a bunch went out this morning, and another wave will be rejected this afternoon.

MOLaw

New

Postby MOLaw » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:04 pm

NorCalOldGuy wrote:I've recently spoke with admissions and basically no one will be admitted this week. Just rejections going out, a bunch went out this morning, and another wave will be rejected this afternoon.

:shock: In that case, I hope they make me wait! Thank you for this info!

Doesthenamematter

New

Postby Doesthenamematter » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:06 pm

NorCalOldGuy wrote:I've recently spoke with admissions and basically no one will be admitted this week. Just rejections going out, a bunch went out this morning, and another wave will be rejected this afternoon.

Could you elaborate on this? Who did you speak with, seems like a lot to share with an applicant and not really the impression I was given by the office when I called

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Rejections and waitlists or just rejections? I really want to wait this out, but if I don't send in a seat deposit to my second choice by Saturday and end up getting waitlisted at UF Im basically screwed for this cycle.

intlbr

Bronze

Postby intlbr » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Doesthenamematter wrote:

Could you elaborate on this? Who did you speak with, seems like a lot to share with an applicant and not really the impression I was given by the office when I called

Also... It's weird that "a bunch" of rejections went out this morning, since there's not a single update to LSN and nothing here at TLS or at Reddit. Do you know anyone who was rejected today?

crazystressed123

New

Postby crazystressed123 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Yeah, has anyone even been rejected yet?

The wait is killing me. Doesn't seem they were this slow in previous cycles.

Atm94

New

Postby Atm94 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:25 pm

intlbr wrote:
Doesthenamematter wrote:

Also... It's weird that "a bunch" of rejections went out this morning, since there's not a single update to LSN and nothing here at TLS or at Reddit. Do you know anyone who was rejected today?

This seems exactly the contrary to what everyone else has been saying about some decisions this week...

D.Raymer

New

Postby D.Raymer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:35 pm

I actually stopped by the office of admissions yesterday. I do not know the lady I spoke with, but she offered absolutely zero information. I simply stated that my seat deposits for other schools were due Saturday, so I was curious if we could expect any movement this week. This was met with, "It's not Saturday, is it? Just keep checking ASO". I have never experienced anything like that UF before, so maybe they're just frustrated.

Nevertheless, I was unable to get any information for us.

Hogwartsexpress

New

Postby Hogwartsexpress » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:38 pm

You would be lying unless you are in an admission that the only way you would know this information. Like admissions will tell you that they are rejecting people get real.

NorCalOldGuy

New

Postby NorCalOldGuy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:47 pm

icetea wrote:

You would be lying unless you are in an admission that the only way you would know this information. Like admissions will tell you that they are rejecting people get real.

icetea:

I assume you may be a lawyer one day? if so, you need to hold yourself to a higher standard than accusing people of lying on a public internet post (with absolutely zero basis for that accusation).

thanks,
NC OG

Hogwartsexpress

New

Postby Hogwartsexpress » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:52 pm

NorCalOldGuy wrote:
icetea wrote:

icetea:

I assume you may be a lawyer one day? if so, you need to hold yourself to a higher standard than accusing people of lying on a public internet post (with absolutely zero basis for that accusation).

thanks,
NC OG

with absolutely zero basis for saying that UF sent out a ton of rejections this morning with no proof, I would say you need to hold yourself to a standard of actually providing proof before you go saying nobody would be admitted this week.

NorCalOldGuy

New

Postby NorCalOldGuy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:04 pm

icetea wrote:
NorCalOldGuy wrote:
icetea wrote:

icetea:

thanks,
NC OG

with absolutely zero basis for saying that UF sent out a ton of rejections this morning with no proof, I would say you need to hold yourself to a standard of actually providing proof before you go saying nobody would be admitted this week.

the thing is, i said "basically no one will be admitted this week" (emphasis added). the implication is that there will be very few acceptances this week, if any. i stand by that comment, and have obtained this information from the admissions office, who answered every question I asked them when i recently spoke with them. why would i come on here and misrepresent what i was told? how does that benefit anyone?

-NC OG

Babaribou

New

Postby Babaribou » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:06 pm

I've been on the No Decision Made status since December, and I'm a current Gator. I applied before a deadline that guaranteed an answer by mid December for Gators, just before the Christmas Holidays. I was a little surprised because I was expecting either a negative or positive answer, but when I called the admissions they told me that "No Decision Made" was an answer just like being accepted or denied. The admissions people there have been rarely helpful when I tried getting some information, so I highly doubt that someone from there would tell an applicant (or anyone, really) so much information about sending out rejections this week or today. If there is one subject law schools usually avoid it is definitely the rejections.
Just my opinion...

D.Raymer

New

Postby D.Raymer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Babaribou wrote:I've been on the No Decision Made status since December, and I'm a current Gator. I applied before a deadline that guaranteed an answer by mid December for Gators, just before the Christmas Holidays. I was a little surprised because I was expecting either a negative or positive answer, but when I called the admissions they told me that "No Decision Made" was an answer just like being accepted or denied. The admissions people there have been rarely helpful when I tried getting some information, so I highly doubt that someone from there would tell an applicant (or anyone, really) so much information about sending out rejections this week or today. If there is one subject law schools usually avoid it is definitely the rejections.
Just my opinion...

I am literally in the same boat. I even overnighted transcripts to the LSAC to make the deadline for the "Gator Express".. As you can imagine, I was a bit upset when I received my "answer".

NorCalOldGuy

New

Postby NorCalOldGuy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:33 pm

LOL @ some of you. the best are those of you that freely admit that you are completely surprised that you have waited for months for a decision. Look at LSN, 0 rejections on there-- you must be pretty naive if you dont believe that large waves of rejections are being rolled out right now. but whatever, stick with your assumptions (even though theyve been absolutely wrong in the past, by your own admission)...

MercW07

Bronze

Postby MercW07 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:19 pm

NorCalOldGuy wrote:LOL @ some of you. the best are those of you that freely admit that you are completely surprised that you have waited for months for a decision. Look at LSN, 0 rejections on there-- you must be pretty naive if you dont believe that large waves of rejections are being rolled out right now. but whatever, stick with your assumptions (even though theyve been absolutely wrong in the past, by your own admission)...

Its not that we dont understand that a large wave of rejections is coming, its that we realize UF is going to have to accept at least some of us to fill out their class. It appears that they've only accepted people with GPAs/LSATS that are >75%, and its highly likely that a good majority of those people will not end up at UF. Now yes if youre still holding out with a 140/2.0 it may be time to realize youre going to get rejected, but for the most part it seems as though many of us holding out are on the border of being accepted/waitlisted.

Edit: I see that you said "some" of us. Yes some are totally screwed

darthlawyer

Bronze

Postby darthlawyer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:32 pm

I know many folk on here are naive to it, but come on guys. Obvious troll is

jag13

Bronze

Postby jag13 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Just officially withdrew, hope that spot and money goes to one of you. Just for reference too, my GPA and LSAT wasn't above 75% by any means.

hegotmoneyyyyy

New

Postby hegotmoneyyyyy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:56 pm

jag13 wrote:Just officially withdrew, hope that spot and money goes to one of you. Just for reference too, my GPA and LSAT wasn't above 75% by any means.

My numbers weren't above 75% either, I was accepted in December. For everyone else, I and many others don't post on LSN. Don't use LSN or this forum as an end all be all for information

Babaribou

New

Postby Babaribou » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:19 pm

D.Raymer wrote:I am literally in the same boat. I even overnighted transcripts to the LSAC to make the deadline for the "Gator Express".. As you can imagine, I was a bit upset when I received my "answer".

Sorry to see that I'm not the only one :(

NorCalOldGuy wrote:LOL @ some of you. the best are those of you that freely admit that you are completely surprised that you have waited for months for a decision. Look at LSN, 0 rejections on there-- you must be pretty naive if you dont believe that large waves of rejections are being rolled out right now. but whatever, stick with your assumptions (even though theyve been absolutely wrong in the past, by your own admission)...

Now, about that subject, of course some people will be denied from Levin (just like people are denied from every law school). It's not really the point that I tried making. It's just stupid to think that the admission people there will say something like "ok guys this week we focus only on rejections" or whatever you want to call it. As it was said before, I'm pretty sure they have a holistic approach in the way they review applications (when they really do so). Some people have said that they already got accepted although they are not scoring > 75%, so that's a good reason to think that. I don't see how they could know beforehand who they will reject. I am actually pretty sure that some people with high 140s LSAT will get accepted. My only issue is that UF Law is really playing it safe here, but only for them, and it seems a little to easy for me. Like you Raymer, I completely rushed to get that application sent by the Dec. deadline and I completely fell for "the earlier the better" talks from law schools people.
The technique here is obvious, they most likely accept all applicants with highest scores, and put everyone else in the fake initial review category, and most of this category just sits and wait until they have reached the deposit date. It's clearly a parallel process, and out of all the law schools I applied to, this is the only one that did that. So now, my interpretation is that they aren't really confident about the class they will have, and how it will match with their desires of growth... Regardless of the reason, I think it might be a little pretentious from UF law... Not sure if that will be beneficial for them or not, but I guess there will always be Initially Reviewed people (like me) who would be more than glad to get a spot there :)

Lasow

New

Postby Lasow » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Babaribou wrote:
D.Raymer wrote:I am literally in the same boat. I even overnighted transcripts to the LSAC to make the deadline for the "Gator Express".. As you can imagine, I was a bit upset when I received my "answer".

Sorry to see that I'm not the only one :(

Now, about that subject, of course some people will be denied from Levin (just like people are denied from every law school). It's not really the point that I tried making. It's just stupid to think that the admission people there will say something like "ok guys this week we focus only on rejections" or whatever you want to call it. As it was said before, I'm pretty sure they have a holistic approach in the way they review applications (when they really do so). Some people have said that they already got accepted although they are not scoring > 75%, so that's a good reason to think that. I don't see how they could know beforehand who they will reject. I am actually pretty sure that some people with high 140s LSAT will get accepted. My only issue is that UF Law is really playing it safe here, but only for them, and it seems a little to easy for me. Like you Raymer, I completely rushed to get that application sent by the Dec. deadline and I completely fell for "the earlier the better" talks from law schools people.
The technique here is obvious, they most likely accept all applicants with highest scores, and put everyone else in the fake initial review category, and most of this category just sits and wait until they have reached the deposit date. It's clearly a parallel process, and out of all the law schools I applied to, this is the only one that did that. So now, my interpretation is that they aren't really confident about the class they will have, and how it will match with their desires of growth... Regardless of the reason, I think it might be a little pretentious from UF law... Not sure if that will be beneficial for them or not, but I guess there will always be Initially Reviewed people (like me) who would be more than glad to get a spot there :)

I don't mean to be offensive but if someone gets accepted with a high 140's LSAT and I don't I'm going to be a little upset mostly because I've been waitlisted or denied from every school where my LSAT is not at the median or above

NorCalOldGuy

New

Postby NorCalOldGuy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:05 pm

I think we can all agree that UF is taking an unusual approach this cycle. I applied to 15 schools, and the other 14 took a pretty similar approach in terms of the basic process and application flow.

Agreed that LSN should be taken w/ a grain of salt, but IMO, the sample set is reasonably large to at least make some basic assumptions...

I just seat deposited at a place where i'm below both medians. They had initially WL me, and I flipped them at a law school forum, and got in the next day... although im sure some of you wont believe that (i'm in my 30's with a long and strong resume...)

ps-- for the record, i was a bit surprised when the lady on the phone described the process they were taking. but this doesn't mean that they aren't taking a holistic approach. i'm below both medians at UF and have not be rejected yet...

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:13 pm

MercW07 wrote:

Its not that we dont understand that a large wave of rejections is coming, its that we realize UF is going to have to accept at least some of us to fill out their class. It appears that they've only accepted people with GPAs/LSATS that are >75%, and its highly likely that a good majority of those people will not end up at UF. Now yes if youre still holding out with a 140/2.0 it may be time to realize youre going to get rejected, but for the most part it seems as though many of us holding out are on the border of being accepted/waitlisted.

That's not accurate. I expect they'll be accepting more people soon, but I also expect they've filled quite a bit of the class already.(as unhelpful and vague as that info is)

trumpet152

New

Postby trumpet152 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:41 am

lawman84 wrote:
MercW07 wrote:

That's not accurate. I expect they'll be accepting more people soon, but I also expect they've filled quite a bit of the class already.(as unhelpful and vague as that info is)

The UF Law Class of 2020 Facebook group currently has 112 members. Obviously, that number is likely not a perfect reflection of how full the class is, but it's probably close enough.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?