WUSTL C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Final Poll - What's your status?

Dinged :(
3%
Waitlisted - Withdrew
No votes
Waitlisted - Riding it Out
21%
Admitted - Withdrew
27%
Admitted - Attending!
28%
Still Waiting on a Decision
21%

Total votes: 90

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Re: WUSTL C/O 2020 (2016-2017) Applicants

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:23 pm

bitter_melon wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Just heard back from WashU's adcomm office about the 46% employment number.

They told me that it IS referring to the upcoming 2016 data release, and that they are waiting for the ABA to certify the data before they can officially post it online.

So, we're still waiting on independent confirmation of it, but it sounds like they did have some kind of huge employment score boost. Would explain why there were willing to throw the number out over the weekend; must be confident the ABA reports will confirm it.

Just to clarify though, did they indicate that the number refers to what we refer to here as BL+FC? The wording on the promotional material was very ambiguous.

They didn't, unfortunately. Though to be fair I didn't think to ask for the nuance behind those terms. Just that the 46% they mentioned referred to biglaw + fedclerk for 2016, though that could be ambiguous.

littlekidlover

New

Postby littlekidlover » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:00 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Just heard back from WashU's adcomm office about the 46% employment number.

They told me that it IS referring to the upcoming 2016 data release, and that they are waiting for the ABA to certify the data before they can officially post it online.

So, we're still waiting on independent confirmation of it, but it sounds like they did have some kind of huge employment score boost. Would explain why there were willing to throw the number out over the weekend; must be confident the ABA reports will confirm it.

Just to clarify though, did they indicate that the number refers to what we refer to here as BL+FC? The wording on the promotional material was very ambiguous.

They didn't, unfortunately. Though to be fair I didn't think to ask for the nuance behind those terms. Just that the 46% they mentioned referred to biglaw + fedclerk for 2016, though that could be ambiguous.

I feel like they could have moved the goalpost on the firm size threshold and/or included non-federal clerkships. Would fully explain the jump.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:07 pm

littlekidlover wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:

I feel like they could have moved the goalpost on the firm size threshold and/or included non-federal clerkships. Would fully explain the jump.

Eh, like guybourdin said, even including state clerkships wouldn't account for a large increase. The only other possibility I could see would be some kind of creative linguistic gymnastics, like "46% of hired students got those outcomes" or something. Moving the goalposts on firm size, at least as I understand it, would probably lead to too big of an increase to be taken seriously.

Scurvy Cur

New

Postby Scurvy Cur » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:14 pm

WatchClosely wrote:If the seat deposit is applied towards first semester tuition, but my tuition is 0 because of scholarship, can I expect to be reimbursed for my seat deposit?

Might be useful to you: the admissions office answered a nearly-identical question for me. It sounds as though there are a few assorted fees that it can be put towards, and anything left over will be returned to you as a refund, typically during the first week of classes.

finaciardi

New

Postby finaciardi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:12 pm

Last edited by finaciardi on Thu May 04, 2017 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

WatchClosely

Bronze

Postby WatchClosely » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Last edited by WatchClosely on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

somedeadman

Bronze

Postby somedeadman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:11 am

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
littlekidlover wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:

Eh, like guybourdin said, even including state clerkships wouldn't account for a large increase. The only other possibility I could see would be some kind of creative linguistic gymnastics, like "46% of hired students got those outcomes" or something. Moving the goalposts on firm size, at least as I understand it, would probably lead to too big of an increase to be taken seriously.

That might be a game changer for me.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:30 am

somedeadman wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
littlekidlover wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:

That might be a game changer for me.

I think it is safe to assume they are including state and local clerks in any number that doesn't specify federal clerkships. biglaw typically means 101+ attorneys. Even if they wanted to include 51+ attorney firms (which would be ridiculous in this context) it wouldn't account for such a large jump. In the last 2 years, all clerkships + anyone at a firm with more than 51 attorneys only accounted for 38% of their placement.

last year, for example, if you tripled their state and local clerk placement, it would still only be 42% of the class.

of course, we can only speculate. last year fed clerk + 101+ atty firms accounted for 44% of full time, long term, bar passage required work. So the linguistic gymnastics gitaroo mentioned are certainly possible.

hethebearded

New

Postby hethebearded » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:36 am

Has anyone who received that general hold email last week gotten a decision since then? I'm curious to see what "later this cycle" means, though I'm assuming it's probably after the April 1st DD.

Scurvy Cur

New

Postby Scurvy Cur » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:02 pm

WatchClosely wrote:
Scurvy Cur wrote:Might be useful to you: the admissions office answered a nearly-identical question for me. It sounds as though there are a few assorted fees that it can be put towards, and anything left over will be returned to you as a refund, typically during the first week of classes.

Thank you very much. That is great to know. Did it sound as though they would apply it towards fees / return the refund automatically, or did it sound as though you would have to take the initiative to have it applied towards fees / to collect the refund?

Just gonna PM you the email response I got. My interpretation is that it sounded pretty automatic.

jhc14

New

Postby jhc14 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:
WatchClosely wrote:
Scurvy Cur wrote:Might be useful to you: the admissions office answered a nearly-identical question for me. It sounds as though there are a few assorted fees that it can be put towards, and anything left over will be returned to you as a refund, typically during the first week of classes.

Thank you very much. That is great to know. Did it sound as though they would apply it towards fees / return the refund automatically, or did it sound as though you would have to take the initiative to have it applied towards fees / to collect the refund?

Just gonna PM you the email response I got. My interpretation is that it sounded pretty automatic.

Can you PM me it too? I was wondering about the same question

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Postby JD_Kingfish » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Anyone else told they won't receive a scholarship offer until after the DD? Pretty ridiculous

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:33 pm

JD_Kingfish wrote:Anyone else told they won't receive a scholarship offer until after the DD? Pretty ridiculous

Like, they have acknowledged that they want you to deposit without a scholarship offer but also without saying you're definitely paying sticker? That's crazy and I would assume sticker =/

alpha kenny body

Gold

Postby alpha kenny body » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:37 pm

guybourdin wrote:
JD_Kingfish wrote:Anyone else told they won't receive a scholarship offer until after the DD? Pretty ridiculous

Like, they have acknowledged that they want you to deposit without a scholarship offer but also without saying you're definitely paying sticker? That's crazy and I would assume sticker =/

That's the type of move that would make me withdraw

jhc14

New

Postby jhc14 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:44 pm

That's so weird. What are your stats? Did you apply late or something?

njdevils327

Bronze

Postby njdevils327 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:52 pm

For what it's worth my friend called the office today and they said that the scholarship committee is meeting this week. so hopefully they'll be able to give people an idea of what their situation is like before Saturday.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:09 pm

fips tedora wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

withdraw? that's the type of move that would make me ignore them forever. At least the school asking me to pay sticker has told me as much.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Postby bitter_melon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:12 pm

guybourdin wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

withdraw? that's the type of move that would make me ignore them forever. At least the school asking me to pay sticker has told me as much.

Ehh I see where you guys are coming from but I have to disagree. The school is more or less telling you that they can't offer you anything right now but they might be able to if fewer people with big offers take them than expected. Just assume that you're at sticker but that there's a chance of a pleasant surprise down the line. It's like waitlists, just assume that it's a no and be happy if any surprises come down the line. The only difference in this case is that they're asking you to pay $500 for the privilege of finding out, I'd see if that aspect of it is negotiable.

69waystodie

New

Postby 69waystodie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Yeah they're probably on waiting on people who have gotten good schollies to withdraw and then reassess their funding.

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:45 pm

For those waiting to hear back about scholarships, I would definitely ask if they can extend the deposit deadline for you. They seem at least willing to think about it. Get your email in now though because they have to take the request to a committee before deciding.

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Postby JD_Kingfish » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:32 pm

bitter_melon wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Ehh I see where you guys are coming from but I have to disagree. The school is more or less telling you that they can't offer you anything right now but they might be able to if fewer people with big offers take them than expected. Just assume that you're at sticker but that there's a chance of a pleasant surprise down the line. It's like waitlists, just assume that it's a no and be happy if any surprises come down the line. The only difference in this case is that they're asking you to pay $500 for the privilege of finding out, I'd see if that aspect of it is negotiable.

Yeah they said they will refund me after I get my scholarship offer if I choose not to attend. I've been emailing them back and forth since December (admitted early November) about scholarships and they just now are getting back with real answers. I understand their viewpoint but it makes you feel like you aren't a priority at all. Should have numbers for a decent scholarship too.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Postby bitter_melon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:35 pm

JD_Kingfish wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Yeah they said they will refund me after I get my scholarship offer if I choose not to attend. I've been emailing them back and forth since December (admitted early November) about scholarships and they just now are getting back with real answers. I understand their viewpoint but it makes you feel like you aren't a priority at all. Should have numbers for a decent scholarship too.

If that's the case, then while I understand that it's frustrating, I wouldn't take it seriously. If you have them saying in writing that give you a full refund, then I don't see the harm. WashU's deadline is earlier than most anyway, so you should hear back before the April 15 deadline that most schools seem to have. Again, I see why this is frustrating and I would not love to be in your shoes, but if you're interested in the school then I would keep in mind that this doesn't have all that much of a practical effect.

PDX4343

Silver

Postby PDX4343 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Just withdrew my application. Hope some of the $$$ I'm putting back in the pot goes to one of you!

SNightHighlights

New

Postby SNightHighlights » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:19 am

Got put on hold - I heard that this means I might get a decent offer with some $$$ during the summer? Anyone with experience on this?

thatlawlkid

Gold

Postby thatlawlkid » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:04 am

For scholly negotiations, when they ask for our offers in pdf form does this just mean i should save the email offers as a pdf and attach or is there somewhere else I'm supposed to be able to get the offers themselves already in that form? (silly question I think, but I haven't been able to find an answer)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?