Why X Essays - Who to Write Them For

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maybeman

Bronze

Re: Why X Essays - Who to Write Them For

Postby maybeman » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:36 pm

Idk if this is correct, but my understanding was that you should probably write one for every school that doesn't explicitly say not to. The yield protect reasoning might make more sense

lmcghee

New

Postby lmcghee » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Several of the schools I am applying to do not ask for or even mention a Why X essay...this may be a stupid question but how are people submitting these? Just as an addendum?

RamTitan

Silver

Postby RamTitan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:05 am

lmcghee wrote:Several of the schools I am applying to do not ask for or even mention a Why X essay...this may be a stupid question but how are people submitting these? Just as an addendum?

Yes, or as an optional essay.

Also, I'm starting to get paranoid that writing a strongly worded why x essay (I want to go to your school because etc.) may lower your chances for scholarship money. Any truth to that paranoia?

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Postby 20171lhopeful » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:12 am

does anyone have a list of schools that actually care about Why X essays? For instance, I know that Duke, U Mich, UVA and Penn care. Are there any other schools that like to see it? Does Northwestern, UC, Cornell, Georgetown like to see that?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists�