Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you heard back from Cornell?

YES AND I AM GOING
24%
Yes, but still deciding
21%
Yes, but not going
14%
No :(
7%
No, but I already committed to somewhere else
No votes
Waitlisted
21%
I don't know why I'm here
13%

Total votes: 107

airwrecka

Silver

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by airwrecka » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:18 pm

freekick wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Who else is waiting to hear about the Hughes scholarship today?? I know there's at least a couple others from what I remember.

Got some bad LSAT retake news yesterday, so I could really use a Cornell pick-me-up today :lol:
Just got a phone call informing me I was dinged for Hughes :( It was nice of them to call and let me know, though! And they said I would have my normal scholly info by the end of today or tomorrow at the latest.
You are looking at 150k for sure.
I hope so! :D

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:03 pm

How accurate is mylsn with scholarship $?

On my LSN, it showed that I had an 80% chance at getting a decent amount of $. Got nothing. Filled out the merit scholarship form before doing FAFSA, can that be it? Not applying for need based aid though.
Or maybe mylsn includes URM, military, etc?

Dont have great numbers at all, reverse splitter here. Maybe that's it and mylsn is just a really small sample size.

theboringest

Bronze

Post by theboringest » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:08 pm

StopLawying wrote:How accurate is mylsn with scholarship $?

On my LSN, it showed that I had an 80% chance at getting a decent amount of $. Got nothing. Filled out the merit scholarship form before doing FAFSA, can that be it? Not applying for need based aid though.

Dont have great numbers at all, reverse splitter here. Maybe that's it and mylsn is just a really small sample size.
Probably the reverse splitterness, appears most scholly's this year are going to folks at/above both medians.

bearedman8

Bronze

Post by bearedman8 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:24 pm

Rejected. >> both 75ths, but no why Cornell.

Edit: Lol they sent me the wrong email. Interview requested. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Any tips for the written questions? :)

Macallan

New

Post by Macallan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Last edited by Macallan on Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:48 pm

bearedman8 wrote:Rejected. >> both 75ths, but no why Cornell.

Edit: Lol they sent me the wrong email. Interview requested. Anyone else have this happen to them?

lol sorry for the panic that might have induced, but that's hilarious

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:49 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
bearedman8 wrote:Rejected. >> both 75ths, but no why Cornell.

lol sorry for the panic that might have induced, but that's hilarious
I would say the panic you experienced with that email is the best prep for the written questions. expect to read something that is completely unexpected and roll with it

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:11 pm

Macallan wrote:Interview request today.
UR1 1/17
UR2 2/9
Also got the interview request today, similar UR dates. For the people who got the interview requests, what are your stats? I'm LSAT > 75, GPA = 25

bitteschon

New

Post by bitteschon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:25 pm

RParadela wrote:
Macallan wrote:Interview request today.
UR1 1/17
UR2 2/9
Also got the interview request today, similar UR dates. For the people who got the interview requests, what are your stats? I'm LSAT > 75, GPA = 25
lsat=75th, superior gpa

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Macallan

New

Post by Macallan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Last edited by Macallan on Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bearedman8

Bronze

Post by bearedman8 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Finished the interview. All 4 of my video questions were incredibly broad and easy. (These aren't the exact questions, but it's along these lines: If you had unlimited resources for a day, what would you do. What's your ideal day look like. What type of people do you enjoy being around.) I only had one question that actually required me to come up with an example for. Everything else was just talking about things that I want or that I enjoy.

The written questions were way easier than I feared. I had two behavioral questions and one political question that was posted earlier in this thread and that I had already considered how I'd respond. One of my behavioral questions was also very similar to something that was already posted here.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Invited for interview today.

application within few days of deadline (there's still hope for anyone who submitted late)
25GPA/75LSAT splitter
alumni from UG

can't find UR dates... only ones listed are received and interview requested.

KillaKam92

New

Post by KillaKam92 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:14 pm

Is "Ready for Review" the same thing as "Under Review" or "UR"?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:17 pm

I think C is playing tough with $ this year.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Looks like most of the people invited to interview have good numbers (all 75+ LSAT). I think that bodes well for the group

StopLawying

Silver

Post by StopLawying » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:41 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:

Thanks, that at least makes me feel better. You think they'd offer me something if I got $ from WUSTL, UCLA, USC or do I have to get money from a T14 to really have a chance?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 pm

ZVBXRPL wrote:

They might be saving their $ to go after the scarcer supply of 167+ LSAT scorers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:14 pm

StopLawying wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

Thanks, that at least makes me feel better. You think they'd offer me something if I got $ from WUSTL, UCLA, USC or do I have to get money from a T14 to really have a chance?
Cornell only entertains offers from "peer schools." This means the T-14, so unfortunately, the schools you mentioned won't qualify. Perhaps you can use Georgetown?

cftvgybhu

New

Post by cftvgybhu » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:42 am

got the Kira interview request yesterday after one and half month wait!!! :shock: :shock: (still feels like that even i do the interview, it's still a WL)
Anyway, still gonna do my best.
I have one question to ask though,
besides spoken questions, there are also 3 questions within 5 minutes, right?
since i have heard that there are policy ones, i am wondering to prepare in advance in case i do not know any context, but due to the typing limits of a normal human being, how many words would be appropriate?
like 80/minutes x 5 = 400 words in total? 130 each? :shock: :shock:

AtSomePointItMatters

New

Post by AtSomePointItMatters » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:35 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

Cornell only entertains offers from "peer schools." This means the T-14, so unfortunately, the schools you mentioned won't qualify. Perhaps you can use Georgetown?
No idea if this is relevant to scholarship negotiation...during my in-person interview in NYC with the Director of Admissions, he explicitly mentioned the "T-13." Georgetown clearly not deserving of mention as a true peer in his eyes.

freekick

Bronze

Post by freekick » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 am

cftvgybhu wrote:got the Kira interview request yesterday after one and half month wait!!! :shock: :shock: (still feels like that even i do the interview, it's still a WL)
since i have heard that there are policy ones, i am wondering to prepare in advance in case i do not know any context, but due to the typing limits of a normal human being, how many words would be appropriate?
FWIW: While doing the written ones, I didn't think at all about length. Just focused on being coherent and to the point. Doesn't seem like they put a premium on length alone; it is more about the quality of your on-the-feet thinking and instant articulation. HTH

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:22 am

AtSomePointItMatters wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

No idea if this is relevant to scholarship negotiation...during my in-person interview in NYC with the Director of Admissions, he explicitly mentioned the "T-13." Georgetown clearly not deserving of mention as a true peer in his eyes.
I don't mean to contradict you, but the director of financial aid (who allocates $) said the T-14.

AtSomePointItMatters

New

Post by AtSomePointItMatters » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:28 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

I don't mean to contradict you, but the director of financial aid (who allocates $) said the T-14.
Hey, I'm just looking to help out. Thanks for that info.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:37 am

ZVBXRPL wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:
StopLawying wrote:
ZVBXRPL wrote:

Hey, I'm just looking to help out. Thanks for that info.
Of course! Interesting that he specifically excluded Georgetown though...

cftvgybhu

New

Post by cftvgybhu » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:57 am

freekick wrote:
cftvgybhu wrote:got the Kira interview request yesterday after one and half month wait!!! :shock: :shock: (still feels like that even i do the interview, it's still a WL)
FWIW: While doing the written ones, I didn't think at all about length. Just focused on being coherent and to the point. Doesn't seem like they put a premium on length alone; it is more about the quality of your on-the-feet thinking and instant articulation. HTH
Big thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”