Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you heard back from Cornell?

YES AND I AM GOING
25
24%
Yes, but still deciding
22
21%
Yes, but not going
15
15%
No :(
6
6%
No, but I already committed to somewhere else
0
No votes
Waitlisted
22
21%
I don't know why I'm here
13
13%
 
Total votes: 103

oliviaj_j

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:50 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby oliviaj_j » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:39 am

victorwuyu wrote:Got denied. International applicant, LSAT 174 and LSDAS Above Average. Could this be YP or they already admitted enough non-GPA applicants ? So sad right now


I am an international applicant who has exactly same stats as yours and was denied at Cornell too! Maybe they didn't like our GPA evaluation...

lawpotato

Bronze
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawpotato » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:44 am

To anyone who interviewed: How long did it take your status checker to change reflecting that you completed the interview? How long after your interview did you get a decision?

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby azaleafire » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:50 am

lawpotato wrote:To anyone who interviewed: How long did it take your status checker to change reflecting that you completed the interview? How long after your interview did you get a decision?


1 day; ~1 month

User avatar
freekick

Bronze
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby freekick » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:53 am

oliviaj_j wrote:
victorwuyu wrote:Got denied. International applicant, LSAT 174 and LSDAS Above Average. Could this be YP or they already admitted enough non-GPA applicants ? So sad right now


I am an international applicant who has exactly same stats as yours and was denied at Cornell too! Maybe they didn't like our GPA evaluation...


I am low 170s/Superior. Gearing up for a ding.

oliviaj_j

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:50 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby oliviaj_j » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:55 am

freekick wrote:
oliviaj_j wrote:
victorwuyu wrote:Got denied. International applicant, LSAT 174 and LSDAS Above Average. Could this be YP or they already admitted enough non-GPA applicants ? So sad right now


I am an international applicant who has exactly same stats as yours and was denied at Cornell too! Maybe they didn't like our GPA evaluation...


I am low 170s/Superior. Gearing up for a ding.


I think your chances must be very good since you have an above median LSAT and good GPA!
Good luck to you :D

User avatar
freekick

Bronze
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby freekick » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:04 am

oliviaj_j wrote:
freekick wrote:
oliviaj_j wrote:
victorwuyu wrote:Got denied. International applicant, LSAT 174 and LSDAS Above Average. Could this be YP or they already admitted enough non-GPA applicants ? So sad right now


I am an international applicant who has exactly same stats as yours and was denied at Cornell too! Maybe they didn't like our GPA evaluation...


I am low 170s/Superior. Gearing up for a ding.


I think your chances must be very good since you have an above median LSAT and good GPA!
Good luck to you :D


Thanks for the encouragement. But IMO since we neither hurt or help GPA medians, AA or Superior shouldn't make that much of a difference. And this cycle has thrown up some real shockers. So bracing myself for rejection.

victorwuyu

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:29 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby victorwuyu » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:27 am

oliviaj_j wrote:
victorwuyu wrote:Got denied. International applicant, LSAT 174 and LSDAS Above Average. Could this be YP or they already admitted enough non-GPA applicants ? So sad right now


I am an international applicant who has exactly same stats as yours and was denied at Cornell too! Maybe they didn't like our GPA evaluation...


What a coincidence ! I don't think AA would be a disadvantage to us.

Jupiter33

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Jupiter33 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Long time lurker, but thought I would update you all on my experience. Was wait-listed two weeks ago, and had an in person interview recently after work. The alumni I interviewed with was very nice, and seemed more focused on my interest in Cornell as opposed to my qualifications. I think fit was definitely something she was trying to gauge.

She mentioned that this interview program is a pilot program, that they are doing it to address the issue of the wait-list not being ranked or tiered at all. The interview went very well (in my opinion), but was fairly short. She told me to expect to hear back soon on a final decision, likely in a week or two. She also emphasized that people who get off the wait-list definitely still have a fair shot at scholarships.

Sent in my LOCI a few days ago. I will let you guys know any further updates. LSAT = 75%, GPA < 25%.

bitteschon

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bitteschon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:14 pm

Now I'm pessimistic about my 168 / Superior...
Do you suppose applying to the dual JD / LLM could increase my chances, given that my third year would be spent abroad, despite paying Cornell tuition?

User avatar
lawschool2016nyc

Bronze
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawschool2016nyc » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Did anyone else get invited to apply for the Hughes Scholarship?

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RParadela » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:40 pm

Jupiter33 wrote:Long time lurker, but thought I would update you all on my experience. Was wait-listed two weeks ago, and had an in person interview recently after work. The alumni I interviewed with was very nice, and seemed more focused on my interest in Cornell as opposed to my qualifications. I think fit was definitely something she was trying to gauge.

She mentioned that this interview program is a pilot program, that they are doing it to address the issue of the wait-list not being ranked or tiered at all. The interview went very well (in my opinion), but was fairly short. She told me to expect to hear back soon on a final decision, likely in a week or two. She also emphasized that people who get off the wait-list definitely still have a fair shot at scholarships.

Sent in my LOCI a few days ago. I will let you guys know any further updates. LSAT = 75%, GPA < 25%.


Final decision meaning they might admit you in February of the WL? Or final decision on whether or not you are still on the WL?

Jupiter33

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Jupiter33 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:09 pm

RParadela wrote:
Jupiter33 wrote:Long time lurker, but thought I would update you all on my experience. Was wait-listed two weeks ago, and had an in person interview recently after work. The alumni I interviewed with was very nice, and seemed more focused on my interest in Cornell as opposed to my qualifications. I think fit was definitely something she was trying to gauge.

She mentioned that this interview program is a pilot program, that they are doing it to address the issue of the wait-list not being ranked or tiered at all. The interview went very well (in my opinion), but was fairly short. She told me to expect to hear back soon on a final decision, likely in a week or two. She also emphasized that people who get off the wait-list definitely still have a fair shot at scholarships.

Sent in my LOCI a few days ago. I will let you guys know any further updates. LSAT = 75%, GPA < 25%.


Final decision meaning they might admit you in February of the WL? Or final decision on whether or not you are still on the WL?


As in, I would be taken off the waitlist in the next couple of weeks, and either accepted or dinged.

User avatar
freekick

Bronze
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby freekick » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:11 pm

bitteschon wrote:Now I'm pessimistic about my 168 / Superior...
Do you suppose applying to the dual JD / LLM could increase my chances, given that my third year would be spent abroad, despite paying Cornell tuition?


You may in fact have the best shot coz your LSAT doesn't bring in yp. A lot of 168 folks have got good money from Cornell.
And no, applying to the the JD-LL.M is not likely to make a difference as far as admission is concerned. The medians still need to be maintained.

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RParadela » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Jupiter33 wrote:
RParadela wrote:
Jupiter33 wrote:Long time lurker, but thought I would update you all on my experience. Was wait-listed two weeks ago, and had an in person interview recently after work. The alumni I interviewed with was very nice, and seemed more focused on my interest in Cornell as opposed to my qualifications. I think fit was definitely something she was trying to gauge.

She mentioned that this interview program is a pilot program, that they are doing it to address the issue of the wait-list not being ranked or tiered at all. The interview went very well (in my opinion), but was fairly short. She told me to expect to hear back soon on a final decision, likely in a week or two. She also emphasized that people who get off the wait-list definitely still have a fair shot at scholarships.

Sent in my LOCI a few days ago. I will let you guys know any further updates. LSAT = 75%, GPA < 25%.


Final decision meaning they might admit you in February of the WL? Or final decision on whether or not you are still on the WL?


Wow, that's an interesting strategy. Most schools don't pull for the WL til much later in the cycle
As in, I would be taken off the waitlist in the next couple of weeks, and either accepted or dinged.

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:01 pm

lawschool2016nyc wrote:Did anyone else get invited to apply for the Hughes Scholarship?


Yes I was, and I've heard of one other person who was on TLS (can't remember the username though). At this point, I'm shocked I got in AND was nominated for the scholarship, because of the blood bath that has been Cornell admissions this cycle.

User avatar
Leliana

Bronze
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Leliana » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:13 pm

.
Last edited by Leliana on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no exit

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby no exit » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Has anyone tried negotiating their scholarship offer yet? Or is it still too early for that?

Dovaking

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dovaking » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:28 pm

UR in early January. Just recently got an invitation to interview FYI.

springmatters

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby springmatters » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:18 pm

App received 1/11, interview request 1/30. Is this a good sign that they want an interview in less than three weeks? I would love to get accepted to Cornell, but i'm already fearing the w/l or ding after the interview after seeing other posts:/

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:28 pm

springmatters wrote:App received 1/11, interview request 1/30. Is this a good sign that they want an interview in less than three weeks? I would love to get accepted to Cornell, but i'm already fearing the w/l or ding after the interview after seeing other posts:/

I got an interview request 2 weeks after completion, so hopefully that's a good sign!

Cbear2017

New
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:05 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Cbear2017 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:38 pm

Submitted the scholarship application yesterday--do they send confirmation?

brennakate

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brennakate » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:36 pm

lawpotato wrote:To anyone who interviewed: How long did it take your status checker to change reflecting that you completed the interview? How long after your interview did you get a decision?


Status changed the day after, decision two days after that. (So three days after interview.)

bunney_j

Bronze
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bunney_j » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:40 pm

azaleafire wrote:
lawpotato wrote:To anyone who interviewed: How long did it take your status checker to change reflecting that you completed the interview? How long after your interview did you get a decision?


1 day; ~1 month


Got the phone call 1 day after

Rubbishdump

Bronze
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rubbishdump » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:48 am

Really late on filling out my financial information, I've been busy with work stuff as of late and put off things after I made my seat deposit. Hope I haven't screwed myself.

User avatar
Litt1tUp

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Litt1tUp » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:18 pm

Rubbishdump wrote:Really late on filling out my financial information, I've been busy with work stuff as of late and put off things after I made my seat deposit. Hope I haven't screwed myself.


Pretty sure they have tons of money left, I felt like they were stingy in the initial offer and may be holding out for all the other acceptances...



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests