Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you heard back from Cornell?

YES AND I AM GOING
24%
Yes, but still deciding
21%
Yes, but not going
14%
No :(
7%
No, but I already committed to somewhere else
No votes
Waitlisted
21%
I don't know why I'm here
13%

Total votes: 107

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by ZVBXRPL » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Interviewed a week and half ago. When do you guys think I'll get answer?!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Cornell Admissions just requested to follow me on twitter. They denied me a month ago :lol:

Jupiter33

New

Post by Jupiter33 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:40 pm

jjcorvino wrote:Cornell Admissions just requested to follow me on twitter. They denied me a month ago :lol:
This is hilarious.

sfn91

Bronze

Post by sfn91 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Waitlisted. I am hoping this does not bode badly for the rest of my applications. This was my first decision of the cycle.

Jupiter33

New

Post by Jupiter33 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Just got the call. Off the wait-list and accepted. For those of you still waiting, keep up hope! Super pumped right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ls2k16

New

Post by ls2k16 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:49 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:
ls2k16 wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:Reserved here a while ago:

1. Do you guys think it would be better to visit before or after we get to do the in-person interview? Since I would probably want to talk with admissions, would it make sense to wait until after the interview, or would doing it beforehand show interest? Or does it completely not matter?

2. There's no info on the website about visiting, so I would have to call and ask. Who should I call? Anyone know if I would be able to actually meet with admissions/sit in on a class/tour?

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out how to utilize a visit to best increase my chances.
1. Probably after. You won't know what effects, if any, the interview will have until it happens. Do the interview, wait a week or two to see if anything happens, and if still nothing, then do the visit. This also gives you another touchpoint post-interview that will help you demonstrate continued interest, which will become increasingly important as the cycle progresses, if they don't pull from reserve early.

2. Call the general admissions number, or email the general admissions email and they'll set it up for you. No harm in asking if those things are possible to set up, and I imagine they are. If I remember correctly, they are generally receptive to meeting with students, doing tours/class sit-in's etc.
thanks for the response! what do you think about the LOCI--send it before or after the interview?
Have you sent one already or would this be the first? Also, when is the interview?

If it's really soon, I'd hold off. If you have 2-3 weeks, then I'd send it. If Cornell is your top choice, I'd make sure to emphasize that above other things.

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Jupiter33 wrote:Just got the call. Off the wait-list and accepted. For those of you still waiting, keep up hope! Super pumped right now.
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, are your stats still the same as you posted a few months back? Because Cornell have been pretty tough on low(er) GPAs this cycle so far and if yours is still what it was and you're not a URM... it looks like Cornell's loosening up a bit with these early waitlist acceptances.

Jupiter33

New

Post by Jupiter33 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Nightwing wrote:
Jupiter33 wrote:Just got the call. Off the wait-list and accepted. For those of you still waiting, keep up hope! Super pumped right now.
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, are your stats still the same as you posted a few months back? Because Cornell have been pretty tough on low(er) GPAs this cycle so far and if yours is still what it was and you're not a URM... it looks like Cornell's loosening up a bit with these early waitlist acceptances.
Yup, 3.3 / 168. Dean Ingram mentioned how important the interview was and my continued interest (I sent in a pretty lengthy LoCI). But frankly, given how this cycle has been going, I was stunned I got in with that gpa. Shows that splitters still have a shot I think, at least sometimes.

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Jupiter33 wrote:
Nightwing wrote:
Yup, 3.3 / 168. Dean Ingram mentioned how important the interview was and my continued interest (I sent in a pretty lengthy LoCI). But frankly, given how this cycle has been going, I was stunned I got in with that gpa. Shows that splitters still have a shot I think, at least sometimes.
That's fantastic news. I'm thinking Cornell's splitter anxiety this cycle can now be chalked up to a likely YP strategy more than becoming Berkeley as previously feared. Or so I hope. Splitter here too and I'm willing to fight tooth and nail to get into Cornell. Hopefully they realize that from my online interview.

I thank you, kind sir/madam, for the renewed hope.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:32 pm

First time poster, just got invited to interview. I dont have any sort of webcam besides my phone and it says the interview doesnt work on mobile devices, but also lists android 4 and up as a supported platform. Anyone try and do it on a phone and if not, do I have time to buy a webcam and have it shipped to me for this interview? Kind of surprised I wasn't just auto denied since my gpa is pretty low (3.5).

dwall1121

New

Post by dwall1121 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Checking in! Finally got the email to interview. Super nervous from what I've seen on here about it

Nightwing

Bronze

Post by Nightwing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:38 pm

snarfing wrote:First time poster, just got invited to interview. I dont have any sort of webcam besides my phone and it says the interview doesnt work on mobile devices, but also lists android 4 and up as a supported platform. Anyone try and do it on a phone and if not, do I have time to buy a webcam and have it shipped to me for this interview? Kind of surprised I wasn't just auto denied since my gpa is pretty low (3.5).
It won't work on a phone because Cornell's interview specifically has writing sections. You're going to want a keyboard. If you just got invited to interview today, then you've got 10 days to get it done. If you have access to Amazon prime, you could easily get the webcam in a couple days or just go get one in person at a Best Buy or something.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:45 pm

Nightwing wrote:
snarfing wrote:First time poster, just got invited to interview. I dont have any sort of webcam besides my phone and it says the interview doesnt work on mobile devices, but also lists android 4 and up as a supported platform. Anyone try and do it on a phone and if not, do I have time to buy a webcam and have it shipped to me for this interview? Kind of surprised I wasn't just auto denied since my gpa is pretty low (3.5).
It won't work on a phone because Cornell's interview specifically has writing sections. You're going to want a keyboard. If you just got invited to interview today, then you've got 10 days to get it done. If you have access to Amazon prime, you could easily get the webcam in a couple days or just go get one in person at a Best Buy or something.
+1 on needing a computer with webcam.

7 questions (4 video and 3 written)

video: question is asked through video clip and printed on the screen, you have 30 seconds to prepare your response, webcam records for exactly 1 minute, and your video clip is automatically submitted at the end of the 1 minute

written: question is asked (same as above), you have 5 minutes to type out your response, and your response is automatically submitted at the end of the 5 minutes

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:49 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
Nightwing wrote:
+1 on needing a computer with webcam.

7 questions (4 video and 3 written)

video: question is asked through video clip and printed on the screen, you have 30 seconds to prepare your response, webcam records for exactly 1 minute, and your video clip is automatically submitted at the end of the 1 minute

written: question is asked (same as above), you have 5 minutes to type out your response, and your response is automatically submitted at the end of the 5 minutes
I guess I will be buying a webcam. Seems misleading that the email even bothers to say it requires a functioning webcam and microphone OR a smartphone if the smartphone wont actually work.

prospectivelawyer

New

Post by prospectivelawyer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:52 pm

I just received an email asking me to do a video interview for Cornell. Based on the responses about this on this thread, I'm becoming very nervous because it seems like there may be questions on current affairs, political issues, etc. Does anyone have any advice on how I should prepare for the interview? Does anyone remember what questions they were asked? And how well do the "practice" interviews prepare you for the real thing?

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

prospectivelawyer wrote:I just received an email asking me to do a video interview for Cornell. Based on the responses about this on this thread, I'm becoming very nervous because it seems like there may be questions on current affairs, political issues, etc. Does anyone have any advice on how I should prepare for the interview? Does anyone remember what questions they were asked? And how well do the "practice" interviews prepare you for the real thing?
Oof I'd be nervous to answer things about current affairs and political issues since it can so easily offend the person viewing.

Kaylasvi

New

Post by Kaylasvi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:02 pm

prospectivelawyer wrote:I just received an email asking me to do a video interview for Cornell. Based on the responses about this on this thread, I'm becoming very nervous because it seems like there may be questions on current affairs, political issues, etc. Does anyone have any advice on how I should prepare for the interview? Does anyone remember what questions they were asked? And how well do the "practice" interviews prepare you for the real thing?
fwiw none of my video interview questions were political in nature, all behavioral stuff. The practice questions are not for content, they're just to get you used to the system so those won't really prepare you. Since I know nothing about any political questions, I just prepared basic behavioral stories (leadership, challenges, teamwork, why Ithaca, why law, etc) and I had no problems!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kaylasvi

New

Post by Kaylasvi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:04 pm

simplypara588 wrote:I interviewed on Wednesday (2/1) and my status checker still says "interview requested"...how long does it normally take to update? Starting to grow concerned as the 10-day window for completion draws near...
mine said "interview requested" all the way up until I was accepted, I wouldn't worry!

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Last edited by charles117 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simplypara588

New

Post by simplypara588 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Kaylasvi wrote:
simplypara588 wrote:I interviewed on Wednesday (2/1) and my status checker still says "interview requested"...how long does it normally take to update? Starting to grow concerned as the 10-day window for completion draws near...
mine said "interview requested" all the way up until I was accepted, I wouldn't worry!
Thanks! So yours never changed back to "ready for review" before your call? And, if you don't mind me asking, how long was your turnaround time?

EWofNell

Bronze

Post by EWofNell » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:55 pm

Admitted about 45 mins ago via e-mail!!

164/4.05

As for those asking above about the interview.. I completed a video interview on Jan. 27th. I had one question that was political in nature. I won't say what it was because I feel that that's unfair.

Good luck to everyone else!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:56 pm

EWofNell wrote:Admitted about 45 mins ago via e-mail!!

164/4.05

As for those asking above about the interview.. I completed a video interview on Jan. 27th. I had one question that was political in nature. I won't say what it was because I feel that that's unfair.

Congrats! is there anyway you could let us know if it was a polarizing political question or more of a softball?

EWofNell

Bronze

Post by EWofNell » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:07 pm

snarfing wrote:
EWofNell wrote:Admitted about 45 mins ago via e-mail!!

164/4.05

Congrats! is there anyway you could let us know if it was a polarizing political question or more of a softball?
Thank you!!

I think it could be polarizing depending on how you chose to answer the question. However, I think it was possible to keep it less so- which is what I feel that I did.

imtca

New

Post by imtca » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:12 pm

As far as I remember, mine weren't very political, but I had a really weird one about the Olympics that kinda threw me because I didn't know what they were looking for.

Kaylasvi

New

Post by Kaylasvi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 pm

simplypara588 wrote:
Kaylasvi wrote:
Thanks! So yours never changed back to "ready for review" before your call? And, if you don't mind me asking, how long was your turnaround time?
correct, it always said "interview requested" until I got a call and now it's a congrats message. It freaked me out too haha. I submitted 12/5, got an interview request 1/4, completed the interview 1/10, and got in 1/25

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”