Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Have you heard back from Cornell?

YES AND I AM GOING
24%
Yes, but still deciding
21%
Yes, but not going
14%
No :(
7%
No, but I already committed to somewhere else
No votes
Waitlisted
21%
I don't know why I'm here
13%

Total votes: 107

amberb94

Bronze

Re: Cornell c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by amberb94 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:10 am

Rubbishdump wrote:
amberb94 wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:What did you guys do for your "Influenced to Apply" and "Interest in Cornell" Sections? Are they just equivalents of a "Why Cornell" essay? I found it sort of weird the "Influenced to Apply" section is mandatory. I wasn't influenced by any individual in particular.
For my interest in Cornell I talked about why I'd like to live in the area and my interest in a specific clinic/specific courses.

And for the influenced to apply section, I just kinda noted that no one in particular influenced me to apply to Cornell specifically and left it at that.
How long was your influenced to apply section? I don't want to be at a disadvantage for just writing a sentence or two in the same vein.

1000 words is 2 1/4 pages single spaced..
It is 1000 characters, not 1000 words.

ProductofUnreality

Bronze

Post by ProductofUnreality » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 am

proteinshake wrote:
ProductofUnreality wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Keilz wrote:
SilverSurfer2020 wrote:Does Cornell send out some kind of acceptance packet?
Yeah and it's dope. You get a red hardcover book.
Nice has anyone gotten it yet? I thought all our stuff was through email
It's just a viewbook though :?

I wish it was just a regular notebook
A regular notebook would have been dope. Though I don't think I could justify using it since I didn't end up going lol.

You were in the threads last year, too, huh? With like a Diddy Kong avatar?

Keilz - I don't think anyone has gotten it yet this year, at least not to my knowledge.
haha yes that's me

lol thought so

You just hanging out here or reapplying as well?

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Post by Rubbishdump » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:38 am

amberb94 wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:
amberb94 wrote:
Rubbishdump wrote:What did you guys do for your "Influenced to Apply" and "Interest in Cornell" Sections? Are they just equivalents of a "Why Cornell" essay? I found it sort of weird the "Influenced to Apply" section is mandatory. I wasn't influenced by any individual in particular.
For my interest in Cornell I talked about why I'd like to live in the area and my interest in a specific clinic/specific courses.

And for the influenced to apply section, I just kinda noted that no one in particular influenced me to apply to Cornell specifically and left it at that.
How long was your influenced to apply section? I don't want to be at a disadvantage for just writing a sentence or two in the same vein.

1000 words is 2 1/4 pages single spaced..
It is 1000 characters, not 1000 words.
Hahaha oh wow, my bad. Makes more sense

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:57 am

lol thought so

reapplying with new LSAT score and GPA

ProductofUnreality

Bronze

Post by ProductofUnreality » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:49 am

proteinshake wrote:

lol thought so

reapplying with new LSAT score and GPA
Nice! I just went with earlier apps lmao

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:33 am

OP of this thread. No longer applying this cycle but will continue to update info, make new polls, etc.

Any new poll suggestions???

Ps: good luck with apps y'all!

texteach

Bronze

Post by texteach » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:38 am

Is it weird my application status has been "ready for review" since 10/28? I haven't heard anything from them, but my LSAT/GPA are pretty solid and I've had acceptance offers to higher T14s already. I'm starting to get nervous :( I'm not really a YP candidate (at least I didn't think I was) - LSAT>75%; 50%>GPA>25%. Anyone else in this boat?

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:41 am

texteach wrote:Is it weird my application status has been "ready for review" since 10/28? I haven't heard anything from them, but my LSAT/GPA are pretty solid and I've had acceptance offers to higher T14s already. I'm starting to get nervous :( I'm not really a YP candidate (at least I didn't think I was) - LSAT>75%; 50%>GPA>25%. Anyone else in this boat?
Exact same situation, but ready for review since 10/17.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:53 am

VA2lawschool wrote:
texteach wrote:Is it weird my application status has been "ready for review" since 10/28? I haven't heard anything from them, but my LSAT/GPA are pretty solid and I've had acceptance offers to higher T14s already. I'm starting to get nervous :( I'm not really a YP candidate (at least I didn't think I was) - LSAT>75%; 50%>GPA>25%. Anyone else in this boat?
Exact same situation, but ready for review since 10/17.
Also 10/17

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cantexplaingottago

Bronze

Post by cantexplaingottago » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:22 am

amberb94 wrote:

Re: influenced to apply section, I mentioned this subreddit, actually. I'm fairly certain that only the operations staff of Admissions really cares about that part. They review their approach regularly, and even interviewed me a week ago about my experience in applying and accepting their offer.

yuppitsme

New

Post by yuppitsme » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:52 am

dietcoke1 wrote:invited to interview just now
Do you get this via Email or do you need to check the status checker?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:56 pm

yuppitsme wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:invited to interview just now
Do you get this via Email or do you need to check the status checker?
via email

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:20 pm

Waited a week after Sept LSAT scores came out to request a fee waiver. I was directed to the school's policy on fee waivers on their website, which states
CRS fee waivers are processed soon after each LSAT exam
So I just assumed I wouldn't get one. I received one two days ago. Do you think that means applications are lower than they expected?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Is an interview a prerequisite for admission?

Why???

New

Post by Why??? » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:21 pm

somedeadman wrote:Is an interview a prerequisite for admission?
yes

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:28 pm

after interviewing, status checker changed back to "application is ready for review" and today's date

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Can someone who interviewed PM me? I got invited to interview today. Cornell is my number 1 so I do not want to mess this up. Any insight would be appreciated! Please and Thank You.

Also would it be weird to do the interview in the same day it was extended to me?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sonyco

New

Post by sonyco » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:15 pm

Last edited by sonyco on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:54 pm

Lawschool305 wrote:Can someone who interviewed PM me? I got invited to interview today. Cornell is my number 1 so I do not want to mess this up. Any insight would be appreciated! Please and Thank You.

Also would it be weird to do the interview in the same day it was extended to me?
Anyone PMing the above poster, also shoot me a message. Getting anxious for this interview!

ProductofUnreality

Bronze

Post by ProductofUnreality » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:21 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
Lawschool305 wrote:Can someone who interviewed PM me? I got invited to interview today. Cornell is my number 1 so I do not want to mess this up. Any insight would be appreciated! Please and Thank You.

Anyone PMing the above poster, also shoot me a message. Getting anxious for this interview!
Why PM? It's a recorded interview. I haven't done it yet this year but last year they gave us unlimited practice questions so you could get comfortable with the format.

Basically it shows a recording of a question, then gives you a few seconds to prepare, then starts recording and you have to answer in the allotted time. You can cut the time short, but can't extend it. You get asked around three or five questions.

The questions are all typical of law school interviews and interviews in general. Why law? Why Ithaca? What's your proudest achievement? What was a tough thing you overcame and how did you overcome it? What's advice you would give a high school student who's having trouble picking a major? What book have you been reading? Where do you see yourself in five years? What's your plan immediately after law school? When you're eating chicken and waffles do you pour syrup over the chicken and the waffles or just the waffles? What do you hope to get out of your legal education? Describe the perfect school environment. What's the most important thing to in choosing a school?

Make the most of the practice time. The format feels weird at first. Get comfortable with staring at your face while you answer the questions. That was the worst part.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:40 pm

Why??? wrote:
yes
And you have to be invited to do it, correct?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

notsolawful

Bronze

Post by notsolawful » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:50 pm

somedeadman wrote:
Why??? wrote:
yes
And you have to be invited to do it, correct?
Well, I wouldn't try to demand an interview if that's what you're asking :P
But yeah, you can't just sign up for it. It's like stage 2 of the admissions process

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:52 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:

Why PM? It's a recorded interview. I haven't done it yet this year but last year they gave us unlimited practice questions so you could get comfortable with the format.

Basically it shows a recording of a question, then gives you a few seconds to prepare, then starts recording and you have to answer in the allotted time. You can cut the time short, but can't extend it. You get asked around three or five questions.

The questions are all typical of law school interviews and interviews in general. Why law? Why Ithaca? What's your proudest achievement? What was a tough thing you overcame and how did you overcome it? What's advice you would give a high school student who's having trouble picking a major? What book have you been reading? Where do you see yourself in five years? What's your plan immediately after law school? When you're eating chicken and waffles do you pour syrup over the chicken and the waffles or just the waffles? What do you hope to get out of your legal education? Describe the perfect school environment. What's the most important thing to in choosing a school?

Make the most of the practice time. The format feels weird at first. Get comfortable with staring at your face while you answer the questions. That was the worst part.
Yea there's also some oddball questions but just answer off the cuff. You can't prepare for some of them. The others are incredibly generic and if you've ever gone through an interview you'll be fine with them. Also, be prepared to type quickly for the written questions - I have a really good cadence and fast rhythm when typing and thinking, but I'm sure that this format could've been an impediment for some. Again, as per above, it's fine winging it after you tried the practice q's and after you know why cornell/why ithaca. Everything else is not possible to prepare for.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:11 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:

This was incredibly helpful. Many thanks!

ac8876a

New

Post by ac8876a » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:12 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:

is the waffle one really a question? lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”