Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2%
Tuesday 3/28
17%
Wednesday 3/29
32%
Thursday 3/30
12%
Friday 3/31
28%
Saturday 4/1
9%

Total votes: 108

dianersg

New

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dianersg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:41 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
dianersg wrote:JS1 today! Can't believe it. 170/4.0

Congrats!! When did you submit?

11/08

Kinch08

Bronze

Postby Kinch08 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Congrats, y'all

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:53 pm

dianersg wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
dianersg wrote:JS1 today! Can't believe it. 170/4.0

Congrats!! When did you submit?

11/08

big congrats!! Hope you get to celebrate. :D

Question12345

New

Postby Question12345 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Anyone know what time they stop sending out JS1s for a wave? Like for today is it pretty much done?

sonyco

New

Postby sonyco » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:09 pm

Question12345 wrote:Anyone know what time they stop sending out JS1s for a wave? Like for today is it pretty much done?

No, no one knows.

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:19 pm

JS1 in 2 hours. :shock:

harmcharm

New

Postby harmcharm » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:20 pm

sonyco wrote:
Question12345 wrote:Anyone know what time they stop sending out JS1s for a wave? Like for today is it pretty much done?

No, no one knows.

I haven't seen any reports that the JS1s are wildly apart though. Like, if people start getting them at 9 am, there won't be people getting it at 4 pm.

I'm betting it's done though, and pretty disappointed for today tbh. It seemed like they were just getting to the KJD mild reverse splitters in Dec, and I was so sure I'd be in this one. :cry:

hammy393

Bronze

Postby hammy393 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:21 pm

JS1!! 10:50AM ET

Submitted 11/12 -- Complete 11/15

URM

LSAT < 25

GPA < 25
Last edited by hammy393 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Postby VA2lawschool » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:29 pm

I realize these posts are annoying because timing doesn't always make sense but I'm getting very concerned at a lack of JS1 for having gone complete in October...

For reference, LSAT = 50 and GPA at 25th, so I guess it's silly to assume I'll even get one.

illini2016

New

Postby illini2016 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:33 pm

harmcharm wrote:
sonyco wrote:

No, no one knows.

I haven't seen any reports that the JS1s are wildly apart though. Like, if people start getting them at 9 am, there won't be people getting it at 4 pm.

I'm betting it's done though, and pretty disappointed for today tbh. It seemed like they were just getting to the KJD mild reverse splitters in Dec, and I was so sure I'd be in this one. :cry:

I'm URM, LSAT at the 25th and 25 < GPA < 75. The other posters seem to be in a very similar boat, so I'm thinking they just knocked out the non-auto-admit URMs today.

tr5890

New

Postby tr5890 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:34 pm

JS1 10:50am ET!!
URM
LSAT > 75
GPA < 25

bloomsday

Bronze

Postby bloomsday » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Last edited by bloomsday on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Oh my god...
Technical problem :shock:
But I was lucky to have Romina who was super nice and understanding. She was willing to talk over the phone. But we finally had the skype interview on my ipad.

The questions she asked were laidback. I wish I could've answered them better with more info. :/ Still panicing from the technical issue.

Then I asked questions, and she answered everything just like a student there. The conversation was very enjoyable.

She said the next committee meeting will be in two to three weeks.

ashrice13

Gold

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:28 pm

hellohalo wrote:Oh my god...
But I was lucky to have Romina who was super nice and understanding. She was willing to talk over the phone. But we finally had the skype interview on my ipad.

The questions she asked were laidback. I wish I could've answered them better with more info. :/ Still panicing from the technical issue.

Then I asked questions, and she answered everything just like a student there. The conversation was very enjoyable.

Oh man, that is stressful!! That's totally one of those things that seem to be a bigger deal to you than they really are. I would be stressed out too but I'm sure it was fine.

Daydreamer15

New

Postby Daydreamer15 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:32 pm

bloomsday wrote:
VA2lawschool wrote:I realize these posts are annoying because timing doesn't always make sense but I'm getting very concerned at a lack of JS1 for having gone complete in October...

For reference, LSAT = 50 and GPA at 25th, so I guess it's silly to assume I'll even get one.

Same GPA, LSAT >> 75%, waiting since september. Sadness.

Also in the waiting boat since Oct. :?

Mackgal

Bronze

Postby Mackgal » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:51 pm

Anyone have any insight on what a "good interview" is compared to a "bad interview" (i.e. you're not getting in) ... I just had my interview, she asked me a lot of questions about my masters program and about why law school and then gave me time to ask questions. She also spent time talking about specific programs I would be interested in

I know there's probably no real insight on this kind of thing, I just hate the waiting process lol

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:54 pm

Mackgal wrote:Anyone have any insight on what a "good interview" is compared to a "bad interview" (i.e. you're not getting in) ... I just had my interview, she asked me a lot of questions about my masters program and about why law school and then gave me time to ask questions. She also spent time talking about specific programs I would be interested in

I know there's probably no real insight on this kind of thing, I just hate the waiting process lol

I want to know this too!

xnsch

Bronze

Postby xnsch » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:55 pm

Mackgal wrote:Anyone have any insight on what a "good interview" is compared to a "bad interview" (i.e. you're not getting in) ... I just had my interview, she asked me a lot of questions about my masters program and about why law school and then gave me time to ask questions. She also spent time talking about specific programs I would be interested in

It's my understanding that the interview is really meant to find out whether you're a personable (and thus employable) normal human being and to get more insight into why you want to go to law school and what you hope to accomplish. I think as long as you articulated your answers well, were affable, and had a solid reasoning for why law school, why Harvard, etc. then you have nothing to worry about.

The Harvard interview was my favorite of all the law schools because it was so friendly and a good flowing conversation. I think if you get the same feeling, that the conversation was good-natured and flowed well, then you've got a good shot

airwrecka

Silver

Postby airwrecka » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:57 pm

I would assume it's similar to a job interview or anything else. They want to see that you're a sane person who isn't terrible to be around, who can articulate their thoughts and elaborate on ideas, and will fit in to the culture of the school.

^Those are just my guesses, but I don't know what else an interview could really be about when they already have your entire application to look at.

hellohalo

Silver

Postby hellohalo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:27 pm

xnsch wrote:

It's my understanding that the interview is really meant to find out whether you're a personable (and thus employable) normal human being and to get more insight into why you want to go to law school and what you hope to accomplish. I think as long as you articulated your answers well, were affable, and had a solid reasoning for why law school, why Harvard, etc. then you have nothing to worry about.

The Harvard interview was my favorite of all the law schools because it was so friendly and a good flowing conversation. I think if you get the same feeling, that the conversation was good-natured and flowed well, then you've got a good shot

I agree with you. But 25% of the interviewees don't get the offer. It's hard for me to imagine there are so many people who can't carry on a good conversation or so...

Anyway I had my interview. Because of the technical issues, I was panic at the beginning and didn't answer the first two questions very well. But the rest went OK. And I believe I acted as a very personable person. I feel grateful to be granted the interview already. Shouldn't expect too much I guess. :cry:

AJ1010

Bronze

Postby AJ1010 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:36 pm

hellohalo wrote:Oh my god...

I had my JS1 in Dec with a different interviewer. We also had technical issues. My interviewer said that their office has connection issues all the time, and he did not make a big deal out of it.

hammy393

Bronze

Postby hammy393 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:52 pm

hellohalo wrote:
xnsch wrote:

I agree with you. But 25% of the interviewees don't get the offer. It's hard for me to imagine there are so many people who can't carry on a good conversation or so...

Anyway I had my interview. Because of the technical issues, I was panic at the beginning and didn't answer the first two questions very well. But the rest went OK. And I believe I acted as a very personable person. I feel grateful to be granted the interview already. Shouldn't expect too much I guess. :cry:

Right? 25% of interviewees don't get the offer. That's a pretty decent chunk...

Mackgal

Bronze

Postby Mackgal » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:53 pm

xnsch wrote:

Yah it was my favourite too! It seemed much more like a conversation and less like a job interview. Chicago's interview was really stern and I was half expecting Harvard's to mimic that!

spectacles

New

Postby spectacles » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Recently had my JS1 with a very nice lady, but I didn't catch her name and cannot for the life of me find out what each admissions officer looks like (no portraits on the website). Is it important to send a thank you note ASAP, or should I give up?

dc_diva

New

Postby dc_diva » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:45 pm

hammy393 wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
xnsch wrote:

Right? 25% of interviewees don't get the offer. That's a pretty decent chunk...

One of my mentors is an HLS alum and she put it this way -- the interview is to make sure you're personal/employable BUT it is only one factor of your admissions package. Don't go into the interview thinking you're already in, contingent on a great interview. You already in the top ~20%, but some part of your application might fall short compared to others so much so that even a good interview doesn't make up for it. She knows many boarderline awkward people with killer scores or resumes that got in, but she also knows some phenomenally personable people who interviewed but didn't get in because they had other shortcomings.

Long story short, the interview is an important part of the total package but not the only thing that matters when they're evaluating you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?