Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2
2%
Tuesday 3/28
18
17%
Wednesday 3/29
35
33%
Thursday 3/30
13
12%
Friday 3/31
29
27%
Saturday 4/1
10
9%
 
Total votes: 107

tartan2016

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tartan2016 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:24 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
Leliana wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
LSRAT wrote:Also, since there are no interviews tomorrow, doesn't it make sense that a large reject/wl wave will happen?


Could happen, certainly. Will happen? No idea.


I don't think so because admissions will almost certainly be busy at ASW tomorrow.


True, but WL/ding emails don't take much work to send. Someone just has to push a button, assuming they've been batched up for release.


Don't they usually send decisions early in the week? Also I see some people's profiles say they have been waitlisted. Has H sent out waitlists already?

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1907
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Pozzo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
Kinch08 wrote:Here's some math I did in a PM to SMC that might be comforting/helpful to all the other JS1's who haven't heard back yet:

There's one wave left, probably average-sized (so, 1/5 of the 1000 non-WL admits, or 200 potential HLS'ers). Maybe 30 spots in it (I'm just spitballing here, but it's honest spitballing--I'm not fudging numbers to make you feel better) will be taken up by last-minute JS1's (there haven't been enough last-minute JS1's to fill more than 30 ish spots). We know from the thread that everyone who wasn't a last minute JS1 (i.e. people with JS1's in early March or earlier) was considered for this last wave, so the other 170 JS2's will be given out to people exactly like you. I don't think there's any reason to suppose that you have a better chance than someone who JS1'd in November, but by the same token, I don't think there's any reason to suppose that you have a worse shot than someone who JS1'd in late February. So the question is, how many people are you competing against for those 170 spots? Well, that math is easy--it's the total number of non-WL JS1's (around 1200, when you account for the last-minute people) minus the admits so far (800-ish). 400. 170/400 = 42.5%. You have a better than 40% "raw" chance of getting in. That's not the 75% chance you started out with, but it ain't bad.

Now, of course, those 170 spots are not given away randomly. It's a numbers game, just like it always has been.


Here's hoping! :wink:

FWIW, I just got a Vandy from NYU this morning. So that takes some of the sting out.

'Grats!!!

seeprybyrun

Bronze
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby seeprybyrun » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Pozzo wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
Kinch08 wrote:Here's some math I did in a PM to SMC that might be comforting/helpful to all the other JS1's who haven't heard back yet:

There's one wave left, probably average-sized (so, 1/5 of the 1000 non-WL admits, or 200 potential HLS'ers). Maybe 30 spots in it (I'm just spitballing here, but it's honest spitballing--I'm not fudging numbers to make you feel better) will be taken up by last-minute JS1's (there haven't been enough last-minute JS1's to fill more than 30 ish spots). We know from the thread that everyone who wasn't a last minute JS1 (i.e. people with JS1's in early March or earlier) was considered for this last wave, so the other 170 JS2's will be given out to people exactly like you. I don't think there's any reason to suppose that you have a better chance than someone who JS1'd in November, but by the same token, I don't think there's any reason to suppose that you have a worse shot than someone who JS1'd in late February. So the question is, how many people are you competing against for those 170 spots? Well, that math is easy--it's the total number of non-WL JS1's (around 1200, when you account for the last-minute people) minus the admits so far (800-ish). 400. 170/400 = 42.5%. You have a better than 40% "raw" chance of getting in. That's not the 75% chance you started out with, but it ain't bad.

Now, of course, those 170 spots are not given away randomly. It's a numbers game, just like it always has been.


Here's hoping! :wink:

FWIW, I just got a Vandy from NYU this morning. So that takes some of the sting out.

'Grats!!!


Thank you! :D

User avatar
LSRAT

Bronze
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:02 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LSRAT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Leliana wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
LSRAT wrote:Also, since there are no interviews tomorrow, doesn't it make sense that a large reject/wl wave will happen?


Could happen, certainly. Will happen? No idea.


I don't think so because admissions will almost certainly be busy at ASW tomorrow.


Right, I forgot about that. Makes sense. (Also, nice avatar).

User avatar
ws120

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:21 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ws120 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:37 pm

[/quote]


There's one wave left, probably average-sized (so, 1/5 of the 1000 non-WL admits, or 200 potential HLS'ers). Maybe 30 spots in it (I'm just spitballing here, but it's honest spitballing--I'm not fudging numbers to make you feel better) will be taken up by last-minute JS1's (there haven't been enough last-minute JS1's to fill more than 30 ish spots). We know from the thread that everyone who wasn't a last minute JS1 (i.e. people with JS1's in early March or earlier) was considered for this last wave, so the other 170 JS2's will be given out to people exactly like you. I don't think there's any reason to suppose that you have a better chance than someone who JS1'd in November, but by the same token, I don't think there's any reason to suppose that you have a worse shot than someone who JS1'd in late February. So the question is, how many people are you competing against for those 170 spots? Well, that math is easy--it's the total number of non-WL JS1's (around 1200, when you account for the last-minute people) minus the admits so far (800-ish). 400. 170/400 = 42.5%. You have a better than 40% "raw" chance of getting in. That's not the 75% chance you started out with, but it ain't bad.

Now, of course, those 170 spots are not given away randomly. It's a numbers game, just like it always has been.[/quote]

This is dubious. First, there are about 800 non WL admits, since HLS usually admits about 100 off the waitlist. Second, the data on LSN suggests that most of those 800 offers have been given out, if we compare that data to last year's cycle. Not saying the wave next week will not include JS1's from early 2017 and 2016, but I think its time for those of us who were in those JS1s to start preparing for a waitlist. The odds are almost certainly less than 40% for a non-WL admit.

User avatar
Kinch08

Bronze
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kinch08 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:56 pm

ws120 wrote:
This is dubious. First, there are about 800 non WL admits, since HLS usually admits about 100 off the waitlist. Second, the data on LSN suggests that most of those 800 offers have been given out, if we compare that data to last year's cycle. Not saying the wave next week will not include JS1's from early 2017 and 2016, but I think its time for those of us who were in those JS1s to start preparing for a waitlist. The odds are almost certainly less than 40% for a non-WL admit.


It definitely is dubious, I'm pulling numbers out of thin air because there's no better alternative.

Except, maybe, for the LSN data; I haven't looked at it. It's bad, huh?

User avatar
KaijuOh8

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KaijuOh8 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Kinch08 wrote:It definitely is dubious, I'm pulling numbers out of thin air because there's no better alternative.

Except, maybe, for the LSN data; I haven't looked at it. It's bad, huh?


Notwithstanding specific numbers and data (thank you for your effort to calm us unselected JS1 souls, by the way), three things look certain at this point:

1. There will be a JS2 wave next week;
2. There are massive WL / Ding purges on our way; and
3. There will be no more JS1s.

There is also one possibility: Some JS1 may get in via the next wave. This is pure speculation, and I personally don't bet on being in that last wave. Better start looking into the schools I got into while praying I get into the waitlist.

User avatar
KaijuOh8

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KaijuOh8 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:25 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:I wonder why last year and the year before, the first JS2s went to WL-JS1s and not pre-WL JS1s.
Gives me hope that if I'm waitlisted I could hear as early as late May.

(delusions of grandeur are so fun, you should really try it!)


Oh, been there, done that. Believe me. :lol:

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:46 pm

KaijuOh8 wrote:
Kinch08 wrote:It definitely is dubious, I'm pulling numbers out of thin air because there's no better alternative.

Except, maybe, for the LSN data; I haven't looked at it. It's bad, huh?


Notwithstanding specific numbers and data (thank you for your effort to calm us unselected JS1 souls, by the way), three things look certain at this point:

1. There will be a JS2 wave next week;
2. There are massive WL / Ding purges on our way; and
3. There will be no more JS1s.

There is also one possibility: Some JS1 may get in via the next wave. This is pure speculation, and I personally don't bet on being in that last wave. Better start looking into the schools I got into while praying I get into the waitlist.


Agreed. I personally am not betting on it either, and I'm coming to terms with that. Ultimately I probably wouldn't have ended up on Harvard anyways - $250k is a lot of money and a lot of debt to have hanging over my head when I have other great options and like .01% likelihood of need based aid. A WL/ding will just kind of sting because I didn't make the cut for undergrad either, despite stellar stats (*single tear rolls down cheek*), but maybe Harvard and me just weren't meant to be </3.

User avatar
KaijuOh8

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KaijuOh8 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:maybe Harvard and me just weren't meant to be </3.


Or maybe the karma for breaking the sacred 180 magic has finally began to hunt you down. :twisted:

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:59 pm

KaijuOh8 wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:maybe Harvard and me just weren't meant to be </3.


Or maybe the karma for breaking the sacred 180 magic has finally began to hunt you down. :twisted:


lol true s/o to all the first time posters who pushed my post to 181 and cursed me forever.

Rodgepwnd

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rodgepwnd » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:01 pm

First time posting but longtime lurker.

I had my interview 3/8 and didn't get a JS2 yesterday :( . Does this mean I'll likely get dinged or WL'ed? My numbers are pretty good and I thought the interview went okay. Just looking for an honest assessment of my chances based on my interview date and the fact that I missed that last wave.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:05 pm

Rodgepwnd wrote:First time posting but longtime lurker.

I had my interview 3/8 and didn't get a JS2 yesterday :( . Does this mean I'll likely get dinged or WL'ed? My numbers are pretty good and I thought the interview went okay. Just looking for an honest assessment of my chances based on my interview date and the fact that I missed that last wave.


If you look through last year's end-of-March-wave admits, many of them have JS2 dates in late February and early March. Many of the people admitted in yesterday's wave "missed" the first (and maybe second/third) wave that happened after their interview. Don't lose hope! It's not over until it's over and clearly they liked something about your app enough to give you an interview at this point.

gizmo1024

Bronze
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:09 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gizmo1024 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:10 pm

Rodgepwnd wrote:First time posting but longtime lurker.

I had my interview 3/8 and didn't get a JS2 yesterday :( . Does this mean I'll likely get dinged or WL'ed? My numbers are pretty good and I thought the interview went okay. Just looking for an honest assessment of my chances based on my interview date and the fact that I missed that last wave.


Right there with ya buddy. Early March JS1.

curry1

Silver
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby curry1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if I should have retaken my above median lsat...

LHS17

Bronze
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:29 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LHS17 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:19 pm

What time do ASW sessions start and end on first and last days? Would help in organizing airfares (for the April weekend, believe the official detail is forthcoming). Stipend amount?

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:23 pm

curry1 wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if I should have retaken my above median lsat...


RETAKE!


Jk

User avatar
KateMcKitten

Bronze
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KateMcKitten » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:32 pm

LHS17 wrote:What time do ASW sessions start and end on first and last days? Would help in organizing airfares (for the April weekend, believe the official detail is forthcoming). Stipend amount?

Let's take this to viewtopic.php?f=47&t=274102 ? :D There is info there!

User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby taxman14 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
Kinch08 wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
kamy123 wrote:Any URM's still waiting/hoping for a JS1?
What's going on with this cycle... Going insane!


yes


so bizarre...a ton will happen in the next week

Quick q: any estimates of how many JS2s are remaining?? I'm sure someone has done the analysis


Here's some math I did in a PM to SMC that might be comforting/helpful to all the other JS1's who haven't heard back yet:

There's one wave left, probably average-sized (so, 1/5 of the 1000 non-WL admits, or 200 potential HLS'ers). Maybe 30 spots in it (I'm just spitballing here, but it's honest spitballing--I'm not fudging numbers to make you feel better) will be taken up by last-minute JS1's (there haven't been enough last-minute JS1's to fill more than 30 ish spots). We know from the thread that everyone who wasn't a last minute JS1 (i.e. people with JS1's in early March or earlier) was considered for this last wave, so the other 170 JS2's will be given out to people exactly like you. I don't think there's any reason to suppose that you have a better chance than someone who JS1'd in November, but by the same token, I don't think there's any reason to suppose that you have a worse shot than someone who JS1'd in late February. So the question is, how many people are you competing against for those 170 spots? Well, that math is easy--it's the total number of non-WL JS1's (around 1200, when you account for the last-minute people) minus the admits so far (800-ish). 400. 170/400 = 42.5%. You have a better than 40% "raw" chance of getting in. That's not the 75% chance you started out with, but it ain't bad.

Now, of course, those 170 spots are not given away randomly. It's a numbers game, just like it always has been.


you're my hero


bless you

edwardcyz

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby edwardcyz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 pm

gizmo1024 wrote:
Rodgepwnd wrote:First time posting but longtime lurker.

I had my interview 3/8 and didn't get a JS2 yesterday :( . Does this mean I'll likely get dinged or WL'ed? My numbers are pretty good and I thought the interview went okay. Just looking for an honest assessment of my chances based on my interview date and the fact that I missed that last wave.


Right there with ya buddy. Early March JS1.


Same. Had my JS1 on 2/28 and both LSAT GPA 50<75

LHS17

Bronze
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:29 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LHS17 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:56 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
LHS17 wrote:What time do ASW sessions start and end on first and last days? Would help in organizing airfares (for the April weekend, believe the official detail is forthcoming). Stipend amount?

Let's take this to viewtopic.php?f=47&t=274102 ? :D There is info there!


Solid. Thanks.

AllHailKingMao

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby AllHailKingMao » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:09 am

What's HLS's take on extra LORs? Do they look upon them favorably? Considering asking two profs for emergency letters lol

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:10 am

AllHailKingMao wrote:What's HLS's take on extra LORs? Do they look upon them favorably? Considering asking two profs for emergency letters lol


HLS actually said they do not want more letters in their waitlist FAQ. I think they would appreciate a LOCI or new resume if there is an update though.

User avatar
KaijuOh8

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KaijuOh8 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:34 am

It's about 10:30 a.m., and no news of a rejection email yet. Looks like we - as in potential WL candidates - will all live to witness the final week...?

*tension builds up*

LegalAAA

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LegalAAA » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:56 am

To recap:

There will be at least one more wave next week.
It will include some early JS1s.

Good luck to everyone.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 9 guests