Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2%
Tuesday 3/28
17%
Wednesday 3/29
33%
Thursday 3/30
12%
Friday 3/31
27%
Saturday 4/1
9%

Total votes: 107

palalc

New

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby palalc » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:53 am

So I had a 2016 JS1 and have not received a JS2. What is the general consensus on sending an LOCI at this point?

I know Harvard generally doesn't like receiving extra material, but my thinking is that im most likely already waitlisted so this may just be a last ditch effort to convince them to revisit that decision. Thoughts?

LOCI would explain that I would essentially commit if accepted.

FYI: Below both medians, non-URM
Last edited by palalc on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:57 am

palalc wrote:So I had a 2016 JS1 and have not received a JS2. What is the general consencus on sending an LOCI at this point?

I know Harvard generally doesn't like receiving extra material, but my thinking is that im most likely already waitlisted so this may just be a last ditch effort to convince them to revisit that decision. Thoughts?

don't have comment about LOCI, but have you added your stats to the spreadsheet? (there's only 1 out 55 JS1 there that's non-URM below both)

palalc

New

Postby palalc » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:11 am

appind wrote:
palalc wrote:So I had a 2016 JS1 and have not received a JS2. What is the general consencus on sending an LOCI at this point?

don't have comment about LOCI, but have you added your stats to the spreadsheet? (there's only 1 out 55 JS1 there that's non-URM below both)

No I havn't

prepies04

New

Postby prepies04 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:24 am

palalc wrote:So I had a 2016 JS1 and have not received a JS2. What is the general consensus on sending an LOCI at this point?

would the info you provide in LOCI be redundant to what you talked about in interview?

palalc

New

Postby palalc » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:33 am

prepies04 wrote:
palalc wrote:So I had a 2016 JS1 and have not received a JS2. What is the general consensus on sending an LOCI at this point?

would the info you provide in LOCI be redundant to what you talked about in interview?

Well that's the other thing. I feel like I didn't get a chance to say much as to why Harvard would be a good fit for me during my interview because it was very conversational and flowed in a different direction. I was just never asked any of those questions.

But is it very uncommon to send an LOCI in the time between JS1 and JS2? Even if its been months?

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Postby calpolisci2016 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:06 am

palalc wrote:
prepies04 wrote:

Well that's the other thing. I feel like I didn't get a chance to say much as to why Harvard would be a good fit for me during my interview because it was very conversational and flowed in a different direction. I was just never asked any of those questions.

But is it very uncommon to send an LOCI in the time between JS1 and JS2? Even if its been months?

The rule of thumb is that you don't need to tell Harvard why Harvard so if that's all you're gonna do in your loci I wouldn't do it.

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Postby AllHailKingMao » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:25 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:
palalc wrote:
prepies04 wrote:

The rule of thumb is that you don't need to tell Harvard why Harvard so if that's all you're gonna do in your loci I wouldn't do it.

Yeah I didn't have much of a chance to talk about why Harvard too, and HLS is the only law school that actually fits my interests so I lucked out :( what do people think about sending a LOCI or updated CV?

LHS17

Bronze

Postby LHS17 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:45 am

AllHailKingMao wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
palalc wrote:
prepies04 wrote:

Yeah I didn't have much of a chance to talk about why Harvard too, and HLS is the only law school that actually fits my interests so I lucked out :( what do people think about sending a LOCI or updated CV?

I wouldn't bother them with trivial BS (be honest in your evaluation of what constitutes BS). The odds are in your favor. If you "deserve" it, you'll get in. Groveling will not help. What you propose seems more apt for a waitlist.

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Postby AllHailKingMao » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:41 am

LHS17 wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
palalc wrote:
prepies04 wrote:

I wouldn't bother them with trivial BS (be honest in your evaluation of what constitutes BS). The odds are in your favor. If you "deserve" it, you'll get in. Groveling will not help. What you propose seems more apt for a waitlist.

True dat. I'll probably save it for the WL if I don't get in.

Ugh this is so stressful :( I don't want to be part of the 25% :'(

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:54 am

LegalAAA wrote:I honestly think there's another wave of people, including others from earlier in the cycle. Look at last year's LSN data: people who were below both medians and non-URM were pretty much uniformly accepted on 3/28, which came after the 3/11 and 3/12 waves (which I would bet are equivalent to the wave we had today, considering the only prior wave was 2/22 this year). Almost nobody today was below both medians, and by the laws of statistics they need to basically accept SOME people below both.

edit: To further the point, last year's 3/28 wave, the last of the cycle, included people who applied in 2015. The Harvard admissions office just does the bottom end last.

What about people above both medians? I'm >75 on both. JS1 in late Feb/early March but heard nothing yesterday.

wmcelhan

New

Postby wmcelhan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:05 am

Does anyone know when financial aid information is usually released? Admitted yesterday GPA&LSAT>75%

LHS17

Bronze

Postby LHS17 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:32 am

AllHailKingMao wrote:
LHS17 wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
palalc wrote:
prepies04 wrote:

If you do get waitlisted and interviewed once more, tell them you'll commit if accepted. This worked for someone I know.

LHS17

Bronze

Postby LHS17 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:37 am

Ugh this is so stressful :( I don't want to be part of the 25% :'([/quote]

If you do get waitlisted and interviewed once more, tell them you'll commit if accepted. This worked for someone I know.[/quote]

Tell them IF TRUE

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:46 am

LHS17 wrote:If you do get waitlisted and interviewed once more, tell them you'll commit if accepted. This worked for someone I know.

Tell them IF TRUE

HLS already states explicitly on their website that you should stay on the waitlist only if you're certain you would accept an offer of admission.

CA1993

New

Postby CA1993 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:49 am

Are we thinking silence on all dings / waitlists until next week?

sigree

Bronze

Postby sigree » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:58 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:
palalc wrote:
prepies04 wrote:

If you do get waitlisted and interviewed once more, tell them you'll commit if accepted. This worked for someone I know.
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

During my interview I was asked what type of law I want to practice and I said that I was unsure. Since, I have decided that I want to be a judge - is that worth a LOCI??

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:13 am

sigree wrote:During my interview I was asked what type of law I want to practice and I said that I was unsure. Since, I have decided that I want to be a judge - is that worth a LOCI??

Nah, that's just one question from just one part of the application process. Not make or break at all.

klove2020

New

Postby klove2020 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 am

At this point LOCIs are probably too late. I submitted more information (PM for details) early last week and haven't received confirmation from HLS yet. I called yesterday and they told me that once my information has been processed, I will get email confirmation. At this point its been like 6 business days without hearing back... I doubt that they'll even get it on time even if you send it in right now.

LHS17

Bronze

Postby LHS17 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 am

Leliana wrote:
LHS17 wrote:If you do get waitlisted and interviewed once more, tell them you'll commit if accepted. This worked for someone I know.

Tell them IF TRUE

HLS already states explicitly on their website that you should stay on the waitlist only if you're certain you would accept an offer of admission.

Many wouldn't be certain without knowing financial aid.

palalc

New

Postby palalc » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:39 am

According to myLSN it doesn't seem that any non-URM applicant below both medians has been accepted, and if so then very few because I couldn't find any. I know admissions is a numbers game, but they've got to at least accept a few of these people right?

Anyone think they're saving these people for last? Ie. working their way down the list to make sure they meet their required medians first?

Is this wishful thinking or plausible?

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Postby Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 am

palalc wrote:According to myLSN it doesn't seem that any non-URM applicant below both medians has been accepted, and if so then very few because I couldn't find any. I know admissions is a numbers game, but they've got to at least accept a few of these people right?

Anyone think they're saving these people for last? Ie. working their way down the list to make sure they meet their required medians first?

I noticed the same thing. There haven't even really been many people at median LSAT (well, last year's median anyway) accepted, regardless of GPA. I think it's really plausible but could be wishful thinking on my part too.

unrelated

Bronze

Postby unrelated » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:42 am

klove2020 wrote:

At this point LOCIs are probably too late. I submitted more information (PM for details) early last week and haven't received confirmation from HLS yet. I called yesterday and they told me that once my information has been processed, I will get email confirmation. At this point its been like 6 business days without hearing back... I doubt that they'll even get it on time even if you send it in right now.

I did the same about a week ago and haven't gotten a confirmation email either, so likely too late for changing waitlist/ding designations.

LSRAT

Bronze

Postby LSRAT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:47 am

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
palalc wrote:According to myLSN it doesn't seem that any non-URM applicant below both medians has been accepted, and if so then very few because I couldn't find any. I know admissions is a numbers game, but they've got to at least accept a few of these people right?

I noticed the same thing. There haven't even really been many people at median LSAT (well, last year's median anyway) accepted, regardless of GPA. I think it's really plausible but could be wishful thinking on my part too.

If you look at when those who were at or below median were accepted last year, you'll see that most of them were admitted in March. I think, though wishful, it is logical to make that assumption.

Mackgal

Bronze

Postby Mackgal » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:49 am

LSRAT wrote:
Anon.y.mousse. wrote:

If you look at when those who were at or below median were accepted last year, you'll see that most of them were admited in March. I think, though wishful, it is logical to make that assumption.

I'm a URM and I noticed when looking at the admissions graphs on LSN for past years the URM's with lower numbers tended to get accepted pretty much at the deadline (March 28th - April 1st), so there is the potential that this will happen again for our cycle, fingers crossed!

klove2020

New

Postby klove2020 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:52 am

unrelated wrote:
klove2020 wrote:

I did the same about a week ago and haven't gotten a confirmation email either, so likely too late for changing waitlist/ding designations.

I was told that because I had submitted pretty important information, they would likely not make a decision on my application until it was processed- not sure how it worked for people who submitted LOCIs just reiterating interest and saying they would commit if accepted.
I also spoke about submitting additional information with my interviewer, and when I sent her a thank you email I mentioned that I would be submitting important information a few days after the interview as well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?