Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2
2%
Tuesday 3/28
18
17%
Wednesday 3/29
35
33%
Thursday 3/30
13
12%
Friday 3/31
29
27%
Saturday 4/1
10
9%
 
Total votes: 107

User avatar
galeatus

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby galeatus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:33 am

SweetTort wrote:Got my JS1!


BAM

What too them this long? :D

User avatar
RictusErectus

Bronze
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RictusErectus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:40 am

xnsch wrote:
Aquinas wrote:
memphis7598 wrote:Can anyone share their interview experience? Who you interviewed with (if not JS), how long it was, what questions asked, etc..
Thanks!



+1


Interview was super relaxed and the interviewer (for me, Anne Taylor) was incredibly warm. To be honest of all the interviews I did (Chicago, Columbia, Harvard) this was my favorite one because of how relaxed and conversational it was.

She had my resume up on her screen and we started off talking about my senior thesis which then led to a few followup questions that flowed from her interest in my discussion of my thesis. Then hit the obligatory "why law" and also "why law now" questions (I'm a KJD). Talked about a lot of things that were specific to me and my application including my particular career interests, why I'm interested in that path, how it related to some of the work I've done that was on my résumé, and future plans after law school. Ended with a couple questions from me as usual and the interviewer really took the time to answer them and to even tell me about opportunities at HLS that she thinks would particularly suit me given my interests and experience.

Overall it's a very relaxed interview and really because it's a conversation about yourself it should all flow naturally. Really enjoyed the whole experience. I'd be happy to explain anything further if anyone has other questions but overall it's really straight forward


Thank you for that detailed write-up! It seems like a genuinely fun conversation to have.

User avatar
Kaziende

Bronze
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kaziende » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:20 am

We should do a prediction poll for first JS2s! My money is on Friday, December 9.

pandaaa

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pandaaa » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:12 am

Application Completed mid-October, JS1 received beginning/mid-November, Interview completed on the 17th.The interviewer told me they were only on their 2nd week of interviews, so it seems like they started much later this year. He also said decisions should come out January (not sure I believe that though...)

Stats: GPA and LSAT both hit 50th

argos93

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby argos93 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:49 pm

Hey all, I'm trying to figure out if I have a shot at applying. I'm about 2.5+ years out of undergrad with interesting work experience, multiple languages, and lots of volunteer experience from undergrad. GPA is right below their 75th but my LSAT is under the 25th. Do you think experience can make up for the low LSAT? Thanks!

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2292
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dcc617 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:56 pm

argos93 wrote:Hey all, I'm trying to figure out if I have a shot at applying. I'm about 2.5+ years out of undergrad with interesting work experience, multiple languages, and lots of volunteer experience from undergrad. GPA is right below their 75th but my LSAT is under the 25th. Do you think experience can make up for the low LSAT? Thanks!


I doubt it. A lot of people here have interesting work experiences and great numbers.

You should retake to have a real chance.

Mackgal

Bronze
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:13 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mackgal » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:17 am

Do I have a chance of getting an interview / accepted

I've got within their 75% GPA, finished my undergrad in 3 years instead of 4, full time work experience, abroad experience, currently finishing a masters program, in international (from Canada) and a URM but my LSAT is below the 25% (166). I submitted my application the first week it opened

Sisyphus9

New
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Sisyphus9 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:42 am

Just to add to the speculation/confusion about when acceptances might start coming in: my interviewer told me that they'd be notifying people beginning the end of December.

User avatar
SmallK

Bronze
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:09 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SmallK » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:52 am

Sisyphus9 wrote:Just to add to the speculation/confusion about when acceptances might start coming in: my interviewer told me that they'd be notifying people beginning the end of December.


+1. My interviewer told me they would start before the new year, but most would hear Jan.-on.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:57 am

---
Last edited by SybillAnnDorsett on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20170322

Gold
Posts: 3251
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 20170322 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:57 am

Checking out! Decided to withdraw from my interview after getting a full to a lower t-14, which was my first choice.

Best of luck to everyone in the thread!

canafsa

Bronze
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby canafsa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:07 am

.
Last edited by canafsa on Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby taxman14 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:57 am

mm2368 wrote:
Mackgal wrote:Do I have a chance of getting an interview / accepted

I've got within their 75% GPA, finished my undergrad in 3 years instead of 4, full time work experience, abroad experience, currently finishing a masters program, in international (from Canada) and a URM but my LSAT is below the 25% (166). I submitted my application the first week it opened


you're definitely asking the wrong group - trust me. they will eat you alive on here and tell you to re-take the test (Regardless of whether your circumstances, financial or otherwise, allow for that right now). The cycles are really more unpredictable than these forums allow you to realize.

Instead, I'll say this: "I don't know if you've got a shot" - that's a better answer, imo, than "you definitely don't"


You prob have a 30% chance if I had to guess, just because you're URM. If you weren't I'd retake until you had at least 172.

User avatar
803(6)RegBusiness

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 803(6)RegBusiness » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:26 pm

JS1 this morning!

User avatar
taxman14

Bronze
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby taxman14 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:17 pm

803(6)RegBusiness wrote:JS1 this morning!


Congrats!!!

memphis7598

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby memphis7598 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:43 am

When do you get a reminder email of who you're interviewing with?
I have an interview tomorrow in the morning, but haven't received any email or confirmation regarding the interview.

Thanks!

User avatar
RictusErectus

Bronze
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RictusErectus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:40 pm

memphis7598 wrote:When do you get a reminder email of who you're interviewing with?
I have an interview tomorrow in the morning, but haven't received any email or confirmation regarding the interview.

Thanks!


I received my reminder with a little over 24 hours to go for the interview.

memphis7598

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby memphis7598 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:08 pm

Just had my JS1 interview with Tom Robinson, really conversational and comfortable as everyone said.
Interview lasted exactly 15:30. He was running late so the interview started 10 minutes later for me.

He said that I can expect results starting the end of December. Others on the forum said beginning of Jan, so not sure what to expect.

acz26

Bronze
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby acz26 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:50 pm

Are there any other non-splitters who have gone complete by the first week of October and still haven't received a JS1? Anyone have any insight as to how great of a concern this might be? I'm a KJD if it's relevant..

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:17 pm

memphis7598 wrote:Just had my JS1 interview with Tom Robinson, really conversational and comfortable as everyone said.
Interview lasted exactly 15:30. He was running late so the interview started 10 minutes later for me.

He said that I can expect results starting the end of December. Others on the forum said beginning of Jan, so not sure what to expect.


Yeah, huge gap there. Huge.

fall17law

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:51 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby fall17law » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:43 pm

acz26 wrote:Are there any other non-splitters who have gone complete by the first week of October and still haven't received a JS1? Anyone have any insight as to how great of a concern this might be? I'm a KJD if it's relevant..


Non-splitter, KJD here above both 75ths who went complete in September and hasn't heard a thing. I see no cause for concern; it's not even December as I'm typing this response. Regardless, there is nothing we can do about it, either way, at this point. They will tell us yes or no eventually. Predicting timing for law school decisions seems to be a fool's errand. I'm just going to try and have faith in my numbers and application, as you should yours.

User avatar
Kaziende

Bronze
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:10 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kaziende » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:50 am

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
memphis7598 wrote:Just had my JS1 interview with Tom Robinson, really conversational and comfortable as everyone said.
Interview lasted exactly 15:30. He was running late so the interview started 10 minutes later for me.

He said that I can expect results starting the end of December. Others on the forum said beginning of Jan, so not sure what to expect.


Yeah, huge gap there. Huge.

I mean, it's the difference between bragging to family members on Christmas Eve and hoping they catch the screenshot of your acceptance email on Facebook.

poliksa

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby poliksa » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:59 am

Is the interviewer always someone listed as admissions staff on the HLS website?

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby poptart123 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:30 am

Kaziende wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
memphis7598 wrote:Just had my JS1 interview with Tom Robinson, really conversational and comfortable as everyone said.
Interview lasted exactly 15:30. He was running late so the interview started 10 minutes later for me.

He said that I can expect results starting the end of December. Others on the forum said beginning of Jan, so not sure what to expect.


Yeah, huge gap there. Huge.

I mean, it's the difference between bragging to family members on Christmas Eve and hoping they catch the screenshot of your acceptance email on Facebook.


This is perhaps the saddest, yet most correct answer I've seen.

memphis7598

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby memphis7598 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:50 am

Kaziende wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
memphis7598 wrote:Just had my JS1 interview with Tom Robinson, really conversational and comfortable as everyone said.
Interview lasted exactly 15:30. He was running late so the interview started 10 minutes later for me.

He said that I can expect results starting the end of December. Others on the forum said beginning of Jan, so not sure what to expect.


Yeah, huge gap there. Huge.

I mean, it's the difference between bragging to family members on Christmas Eve and hoping they catch the screenshot of your acceptance email on Facebook.



+1



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests