Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2%
Tuesday 3/28
17%
Wednesday 3/29
33%
Thursday 3/30
12%
Friday 3/31
27%
Saturday 4/1
9%

Total votes: 107

curry1

Silver

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby curry1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:34 pm

in for 190

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:51 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
appind wrote:In one of the past cycles, someone kept track of how many interview slots opened every week since the beginning of JS1s. At this time in Mar they had only about 750 slots for JS1s.

So they may be conducting simulatenous intvws and the actual count of JS1s could be higher.

IIRC, they said in the pre-interview directions to look out for a contact request from the official HLS Admissions Skype account. If so, it would seem to imply there's only one such account, so they can only do one interview at a time.

have those who did JS1 have the same HLS skype account in their contact?

if it's same and they don't do interviews simultaneously, then it does complicate things quite a bit. the numbers just don't add up:

Max slots per day = 15
max interviews/week = 75

to have been done with all JS1 pre WL, they have to have been interviewing almost every working day continuously since the JS1s began in Nov. that's just not possible.

i'd be interested to hear if anyone can reconcile this issue.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:55 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
appind wrote:
Kinch08 wrote:
pkalltheway wrote:
appind wrote:
unrelated wrote:
Kinch08 wrote:
Last cycle, there weren't any JS1 waves this late in the year. Of course, you could always go waitlist->JS1->admission.

In years past, I gather that there've been JS1 waves super late in the cycle, and then JS2's given out a week later. So it's possible.

If I were you, I'd hold out hope until tomorrow. After tomorrow, I'd start managing expectations. I think the odds of another JS1 wave with less than 2 weeks until the due date are quite low.

why.won't.they.love. me.

This cycle does seem unusual OR harvard has changed how they interview. There has been a remarkable consistency in the way interview waves came in in previous cycles total of 22-24 JS1 waves. Usually there are 4 JS1 waves in March.

this year there was one on March 1st, but no JS1 waves after that.

Are we sure that April 1st is the deadline? The website says decisions will go out by the end of April. :(

I'm 100% sure that I saw something on some official harvard site/material (their application, maybe?) that said anyone who went complete by the deadline (2/1) would receive a decision by 4/1. It's clear from past years that anyone who gets admitted, regardless of when they went complete, will get a decision by 4/1, and that the only people who don't are people who:

a) went complete after the deadline, and

b) get WL'd or dinged.

Agree that there will be decision or WL by 4/1.

Interesting tho that this cycle DOES APPEAR unusual. Usual JS1 waves are missing.

There is only one way to resolve this. someone should go thru the thread counting

1. All JS1 wave dates Jan onward
2. All JS1 and JS2 reported on TLS in this cycle

TLS MAGIC tells us that total # of TLS JS1 reports before WL must be between harvard's 25/75% lsat (170-174) and JS2s reports before WL ~150.

If the reports are less than that then there will be a corresponding wave remaining.

Why do all 20 slots have to be filled with an applicant? I was thinking the range of times are there because HLS wants to give people options to choose what's most convenient for them.

possible that not all slots are filled. it further complicates the issue of how HLS is done interviewing 1070 JS1s since the first JS1 this cycle. there simply haven't been that many slots opened (~750 slots max).

klove2020

New

Postby klove2020 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:06 pm

appind wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
appind wrote:In one of the past cycles, someone kept track of how many interview slots opened every week since the beginning of JS1s. At this time in Mar they had only about 750 slots for JS1s.

So they may be conducting simulatenous intvws and the actual count of JS1s could be higher.

IIRC, they said in the pre-interview directions to look out for a contact request from the official HLS Admissions Skype account. If so, it would seem to imply there's only one such account, so they can only do one interview at a time.

if it's same and they don't do interviews simultaneously, then it does complicate things quite a bit. the numbers just don't add up:

Max slots per day = 15
max interviews/week = 75

to have been done with all JS1 pre WL, they have to have been interviewing almost every working day continuously since the JS1s began in Nov. that's just not possible.

I assume it's because they're doing simultaneous interviews (assuming there are different Skype handles) or perhaps they're interviewing fewer people this year and so more people who did JS1s will get in. Or maybe they're anticipating a higher yield this year (extrapolating from deposits they've already received) and thus don't need to interview as many people this late into the cycle.

This year also they do have someone who's title is "interviewer" so it's certainly possible that she was interviewing each day even without simultaneous interviews. When I got my JS1 there were quite a few slots every day starting two or three days after the JS1 request for about a week.

Given the timeline and how many people they still need to get back to, I just don't think any JS1s are happening this late in the year before initial decisions come out April 1st. If they do come out, I can't imagine there are that many. The process post-JS1 is 1. Faculty review and then 2. Final Admissions committee vote. They really can't give the faculty so little time to review applicants. April 1st is a Saturday. That means they have until March 31st to complete faculty review and make JS2 calls for everyone waiting to hear back, and send out rejection and waitlist waves. Perhaps because they're so behind they'll waitlist more people this year and then give JS1s later on based on yield of applicants who were initially admitted.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:13 pm

tartan2016 wrote:Did anyone else's status checker not update after their JS1? Apparently last year they would update it to include "interview requested" but mine never did.

AFAIK, it doesn't update from complete until the day after your decision is made.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:19 pm

those who got JS1, may be you can check if your skype contact was a single HLS admissions account or different ones then that may help resolve whether they do multiple interviews per slot or not.

KaijuOh8

New

Postby KaijuOh8 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:24 pm

appind wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:

Max slots per day = 15
max interviews/week = 75

1. There are people who have already interviewed, but have escaped our attention because they simply don't spend time on LSN and whatnot.
2. There are multiple HLS Admission Skype accounts (I don't see any reason as to why HLS wouldn't give each adcom personnel his or her own email address).
3. HLS's interviewing policy has changed for some reason. Thus far, they have interviewed around 750 as you suggested, and do not plan on interviewing more than 150 additional applicants prior to releasimg their decisions.

As much as my reason tells me otherwise, I am strongly inclined to opt for Choice 3.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:39 pm

klove2020 wrote:
appind wrote:

Max slots per day = 15
max interviews/week = 75

I assume it's because they're doing simultaneous interviews (assuming there are different Skype handles) or perhaps they're interviewing fewer people this year and so more people who did JS1s will get in. Or maybe they're anticipating a higher yield this year (extrapolating from deposits they've already received) and thus don't need to interview as many people this late into the cycle.

This year also they do have someone who's title is "interviewer" so it's certainly possible that she was interviewing each day even without simultaneous interviews. When I got my JS1 there were quite a few slots every day starting two or three days after the JS1 request for about a week.

Given the timeline and how many people they still need to get back to, I just don't think any JS1s are happening this late in the year before initial decisions come out April 1st. If they do come out, I can't imagine there are that many. The process post-JS1 is 1. Faculty review and then 2. Final Admissions committee vote. They really can't give the faculty so little time to review applicants. April 1st is a Saturday. That means they have until March 31st to complete faculty review and make JS2 calls for everyone waiting to hear back, and send out rejection and waitlist waves. Perhaps because they're so behind they'll waitlist more people this year and then give JS1s later on based on yield of applicants who were initially admitted.

I do think they have multiple HLS skype account to conduct interviews from even when they say that for JS1 one would receive contact req from the "official HLS admissions skype account".

Reason being that interviews are slots of 20 min each packed back-to-back between 10-12 and 1-4 on some days. There are several interviewers. some interviews may go a tad over 20 mins and some may be delayed or due to technical issues and whatnot. if only 1 account, they do need some transition activity and communication between each back-to-back interview where an interviewer changes. it's impossible to do it like clockwork with just one account when running 6-10 interviews with no break in between if there was only 1 skype account.

HLS has been very consistent with the #s they send JS1s to. so i think it must be the case that sometimes they do multiple interviews in the same time slot.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:57 pm

KaijuOh8 wrote:
appind wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:

Max slots per day = 15
max interviews/week = 75

1. There are people who have already interviewed, but have escaped our attention because they simply don't spend time on LSN and whatnot.
2. There are multiple HLS Admission Skype accounts (I don't see any reason as to why HLS wouldn't give each adcom personnel his or her own email address).
3. HLS's interviewing policy has changed for some reason. Thus far, they have interviewed around 750 as you suggested, and do not plan on interviewing more than 150 additional applicants prior to releasimg their decisions.

As much as my reason tells me otherwise, I am strongly inclined to opt for Choice 3.

HLS is generally very consistent with interviewing numbers. if all pre-WL JS1s are done, then they must have interviewed around 1070 so far.

we just don't know how they were able to interview that many in the time available since first JS1s of the cycle and with the slots that were opened.

alpinespring

New

Postby alpinespring » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 pm

So no more JS1'?

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:06 pm

alpinespring wrote:So no more JS1'?

it seems hard to reconcile that they have done so fewer JS1 waves this year compared to years before with the reality that they have only 2 weeks to make all decisions, which means very hard to compress JS1s in the coming week.

if they have sent out all 1070 JS1s, then waves seem to be lost in vacuum.
if not all 1070 JS1s been sent out, then they just don't have time do them in the coming week.

jb111

New

Postby jb111 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Cutting class size? Low starting credence, but as a good Bayesian you have to admit that it has been steadily rising.

dyebri

Bronze

Postby dyebri » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:43 pm

jb111 wrote:Cutting class size? Low starting credence, but as a good Bayesian you have to admit that it has been steadily rising.

they would not cut the class size. It just means more JS1 are being accepted this year

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:52 pm

that couldn't be true. they already accept 75% of JS1s, any higher would be too high.

also JS2 waves too have been fewer this year compared to before.

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Postby calpolisci2016 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:17 pm

appind wrote:that couldn't be true. they already accept 75% of JS1s, any higher would be too high.

Why would that be too high?

I'm not sure if HLS can cut class sizes because they have a lot of programs/clinics for the purpose of accommodating large numbers of students. If they cut class size, demand for those programs decrease, and harm their abilities to operate.

dyebri

Bronze

Postby dyebri » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:44 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
appind wrote:that couldn't be true. they already accept 75% of JS1s, any higher would be too high.

I'm not sure if HLS can cut class sizes because they have a lot of programs/clinics for the purpose of accommodating large numbers of students. If they cut class size, demand for those programs decrease, and harm their abilities to operate.

It wouldn't be too high. You are right Cutting class size is not feasible for HLS. more likely that they just are accepting more JS1. 75% of JS1 already getting accepted is not too high of a number and before Skype interviews 90% percent of JS1s were accepted so they could easily just accept 90% of Skype interviews this year.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:45 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:

usually JS1/JS2 is ratio is pretty constant over the years, it'd be unprecedented indeed for it be any different this year without any other major change in the way admissions are being conducted. 3/4 is almost the highest ratio for interview/offer you have in vast majority of admissions for law and many other professionals schools too. usually the ratio is close to 50% for many programs.

dyebri

Bronze

Postby dyebri » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:52 pm

appind wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:

usually JS1/JS2 is ratio is pretty constant over the years, it'd be unprecedented indeed for it be any different this year without any other major change in the way admissions are being conducted. 3/4 is almost the highest ratio for interview/offer you have in vast majority of admissions for law and many other professionals schools too. usually the ratio is close to 50% for many programs.

You are right that it is unprecedented but this was a very unusual year so it makes sense. The only reason why we're even talking about this is because of how few JS1s were given out this year assuming we're done with Js1

gwillygecko

Bronze

Postby gwillygecko » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:54 pm

appind wrote:
alpinespring wrote:So no more JS1'?

they have only 2 weeks to make all decisions.

just because the people who were interviewed were told that they would hear before april 1 doesnt mean everyone else will have a decision by april 1. both the website and the application only promise a decision "before may" and "by the end of april".

people who applied end of january/feb 1 sometimes didnt even go complete until the second half of february.

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Postby calpolisci2016 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:02 pm

appind wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:

Before 2012-13, js1 acceptance rate was closer to 90% (before skype interviews)

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Postby calpolisci2016 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

I'm leaning towards the idea that we have an unusual number of js1s failing to report themselves and that we're actually on pace with the number of js1s issued thus far.

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:
appind wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:

Before 2012-13, js1 acceptance rate was closer to 90%
(before skype interviews)

source?

appind

Gold

Postby appind » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:36 pm

there could be several possibilities as to how they have given out JS1 in manner that has missed reporting or they could be WLing more candidates this year.

somehow it's hard to get one's mind around the scenario that out of 10 JS1s they will accept 9 and that only 1/10 people who JS1ed will be dinged, that's unheard of in any professional schools admissions stats.

Kinch08

Bronze

Postby Kinch08 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:51 pm

appind wrote:there could be several possibilities as to how they have given out JS1 in manner that has missed reporting or they could be WLing more candidates this year.

somehow it's hard to get one's mind around the scenario that out of 10 JS1s they will accept 9 and that only 1/10 people who JS1ed will be dinged, that's unheard of in any professional schools admissions stats.

The interview, for a long time, was mostly a formality. Still is, to some extent. That's not that hard for me to get my mind around; plenty of workplaces decide who to hire based on an application and then invite them in for an interview just to be sure they aren't psycho.

dyebri

Bronze

Postby dyebri » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:51 pm

appind wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
appind wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:

Before 2012-13, js1 acceptance rate was closer to 90%
(before skype interviews)

source?

Jessica Soban is his source. They would conduct 1000 phone interviews admit about 900

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?