Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2
2%
Tuesday 3/28
18
17%
Wednesday 3/29
35
33%
Thursday 3/30
13
12%
Friday 3/31
29
27%
Saturday 4/1
10
9%
 
Total votes: 107

judgeandjury

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby judgeandjury » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:45 pm

R. Jeeves wrote:
judgeandjury wrote:So...I was all set on Harvard, excited even, until I started filling out their financial aid form and it says something about them wanting to take 50% of your 401k. Now, as a non-traditional, older student that may be a deal breaker. Is this how most law schools work, wanting to take half your retirement savings?

doesnt it mean that they factor in 50% of the value of your 401k in determining the total amount you have in assets available to contribute to your education?

Do they ask you to liquidate half your retirement savings and give it to them? I think you'll be able to take out the equivalent amount in loans right?



They just say on their website that a student is expected to contribute all their assets and that a 401k is considered an asset less 50% that's protected and an emergency reserve allotment, which is a small percentage. I wouldn't pay a penalty but I would pay taxes on the money about 28% probably. I guess I'll have to wait to see what my aid package will be...I'd rather take out loans than take out half my retirement. I'm first-gen college and most of my family retires into poverty so it may be I'm a bit paranoid about these things, we'll see. http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/financi ... om-assets/

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:28 pm

judgeandjury wrote:
R. Jeeves wrote:
judgeandjury wrote:So...I was all set on Harvard, excited even, until I started filling out their financial aid form and it says something about them wanting to take 50% of your 401k. Now, as a non-traditional, older student that may be a deal breaker. Is this how most law schools work, wanting to take half your retirement savings?

doesnt it mean that they factor in 50% of the value of your 401k in determining the total amount you have in assets available to contribute to your education?

Do they ask you to liquidate half your retirement savings and give it to them? I think you'll be able to take out the equivalent amount in loans right?


They just say on their website that a student is expected to contribute all their assets and that a 401k is considered an asset less 50% that's protected and an emergency reserve allotment, which is a small percentage. I wouldn't pay a penalty but I would pay taxes on the money about 28% probably. I guess I'll have to wait to see what my aid package will be...I'd rather take out loans than take out half my retirement. I'm first-gen college and most of my family retires into poverty so it may be I'm a bit paranoid about these things, we'll see. http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/financi ... om-assets/


No you're right, the FV of that retirement account is way more than a loan for the same amount. You're way better off keeping it in your IRA.

That said, you won't be expected to take that amount out, it just means you'll getting less in aid, you'll still be able to take out col-aid in Stafford and grad plus loans so you won't actually need to touch your retirement

yuri

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby yuri » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:28 pm

how conditional is the acceptance for those still in undergrad?

User avatar
TripTrip

Gold
Posts: 2763
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby TripTrip » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:That said, you won't be expected to take that amount out, it just means you'll getting less in aid, you'll still be able to take out col-aid in Stafford and grad plus loans so you won't actually need to touch your retirement

This is right.

Source: did it.

tlslurkertls

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tlslurkertls » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:54 pm

-
Last edited by tlslurkertls on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Baby Gaga

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Baby Gaga » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:17 pm

tlslurkertls wrote:


thoughtful of you to put it all together in one post and quote it so it can't be deleted. Just providing a service I guess

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:19 pm

tlslurkertls wrote:

Why are you going out of your way to out them? That's NAGL.

User avatar
xn3345

New
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby xn3345 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:28 pm

[quote="tlslurkertls"][quote="dyebri
Last edited by xn3345 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

potterotter

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby potterotter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:37 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ood's_brother

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ood's_brother » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:48 pm

That's messed up, at the quotes.

I just screenshot it all and made a blackmail folder. Just in case he one day becomes a presidential candidate. Shit like this takes down careers.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16642
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Rigo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:51 pm

ood's_brother wrote:I just screenshot it all and made a blackmail folder. Just in case he one day becomes a presidential candidate. Shit like this takes down careers.

Yeah at best he's only gonna amount to a school board member with this locker room talk!

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Image

User avatar
R. Jeeves

Gold
Posts: 1980
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby R. Jeeves » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:58 pm

Rigo wrote:
ood's_brother wrote:I just screenshot it all and made a blackmail folder. Just in case he one day becomes a presidential candidate. Shit like this takes down careers.

Yeah at best he's only gonna amount to a school board member with this locker room talk!

:lol:

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:15 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Image

Aw man, I missed it!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:46 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Image

Aw man, I missed it!


Me too :/

User avatar
ood's_brother

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ood's_brother » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:32 pm

It's cool yall, didn't miss much.

It'll all be on HuffPost/buzzfeed tomorrow. I'm thinking a piece on how we're all budding misogynist. Then Reddit will dox this kid. Then the alt-right will dox us for causing this kid to get doxxed.

User avatar
hellohalo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hellohalo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:41 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
SybillAnnDorsett wrote:Image

Aw man, I missed it!


Me too :/


When is the rerun? :roll:

User avatar
Mr_Chukes

Silver
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mr_Chukes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:32 am

ood's_brother wrote:It's cool yall, didn't miss much.

It'll all be on HuffPost/buzzfeed tomorrow. I'm thinking a piece on how we're all budding misogynist. Then Reddit will dox this kid. Then the alt-right will dox us for causing this kid to get doxxed.

I want a link to the article lol.

VapidP

Bronze
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:11 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby VapidP » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:00 am

Is the general consensus this week for a js2?

User avatar
Kinch08

Bronze
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kinch08 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:01 am

Odds of a JS2 or JS1 wave today?

I was giving 1:1 on "one or both of the above."

Now that it's past 10:30 EST I suppose I should lower that figure. 1:1.5, good until noon.

VapidP wrote:Is the general consensus this week for a js2?


I don't think there is a "general consensus." But a couple of people (including me) have expressed the belief that it's real likely, based on some tea-leaf reading and an optimistic interpretation of previous cycle data.
Last edited by Kinch08 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 am

Kinch08 wrote:Odds of a JS2 or JS1 wave today?

I was giving 1:1 on "one or both of the above."

Now that it's past 10:30 EST I suppose I should lower that figure. 1:1.5, good until noon.


There isn't much for them to wait for, so I think today might be a good guess.

User avatar
lawschool2016nyc

Bronze
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawschool2016nyc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:05 am

Maybe they want to wait until after the first ASW so not everyone goes to the first one...?

lsa16

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lsa16 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:17 am

rejected

User avatar
unrelated

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:05 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby unrelated » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 am

lsa16 wrote:rejected


By email?

Also, sorry to hear:(
Last edited by unrelated on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hellohalo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hellohalo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 am

VapidP wrote:Is the general consensus this week for a js2?


They'd better hurry up. 20 inch blizzard coming to the northeastern coast Tuw and Wed.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kengh and 17 guests