Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2%
Tuesday 3/28
17%
Wednesday 3/29
33%
Thursday 3/30
12%
Friday 3/31
27%
Saturday 4/1
9%

Total votes: 107

alpinespring

New

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby alpinespring » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:42 pm

[double post. please delete this moderator thank you!]
Last edited by alpinespring on Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

unrelated

Bronze

Postby unrelated » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:43 pm

alpinespring wrote:
unrelated wrote:
dhbiv wrote:
I think Harvard probably has some generic algorithm with some rules that spits out who gets JS1s. Maybe something like:

Anyone with at least one number over a median, JS1 invite.

I can tell you that at this moment, this part of your hypothesis is inaccurate. Very reliable source.

Could you perhaps elaborate? I don't know much but I heard that HLS, like 99.9% of law schools, does use a numerical grading system

(GPA/LSAT together yield a score, and the admissions officers score the PS and WE). My

Of course, I'm pretty sure there's no rigid rule that says "if at least one number over a median then JS1"

but isn't it true that HLS, like 99.9% of law schools, numerically evaluates each app, and that they actually give your personal statement/resume a score based on a criteria that all HLS admissions officers must use? The criteria part was mentioned in the HLS admissions blog.

I heard this from someone who worked with someone who used to work at the admissions office. I don't know if any of this is true, but I'd like to know more about the admissions process (the admissions blog left out crucial details, like what criteria they use when scoring your PS, etc)

I was making a joke that I have one number over the medians and had not received a JS1 yet, disproving his hypothesis. The very reliable source was me all along. I don't know how Harvard gives out JS1's.

dhbiv

Bronze

Postby dhbiv » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Last edited by dhbiv on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

unrelated

Bronze

Postby unrelated » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:46 pm

dhbiv wrote:
unrelated wrote:
alpinespring wrote:
unrelated wrote:
dhbiv wrote:
I think Harvard probably has some generic algorithm with some rules that spits out who gets JS1s. Maybe something like:

I can tell you that at this moment, this part of your hypothesis is inaccurate. Very reliable source.

Could you perhaps elaborate? I don't know much but I heard that HLS, like 99.9% of law schools, does use a numerical grading system

(GPA/LSAT together yield a score, and the admissions officers score the PS and WE). My

Of course, I'm pretty sure there's no rigid rule that says "if at least one number over a median then JS1"

but isn't it true that HLS, like 99.9% of law schools, numerically evaluates each app, and that they actually give your personal statement/resume a score based on a criteria that all HLS admissions officers must use? The criteria part was mentioned in the HLS admissions blog.

I heard this from someone who worked with someone who used to work at the admissions office. I don't know if any of this is true, but I'd like to know more about the admissions process (the admissions blog left out crucial details, like what criteria they use when scoring your PS, etc)

I was making a joke that I have one number over the medians and had not received a JS1 yet, disproving his hypothesis. The very reliable source was me all along. I don't know how Harvard gives out JS1's.

That wasn't my hypothesis, though. It was a succinct example of a type of rule that Harvard could use; I'm 110% sure that that rule is absolutely not one Harvard would use.

I understand, but it's funnier this way.

alpinespring

New

Postby alpinespring » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:52 pm

unrelated wrote:
alpinespring wrote:
unrelated wrote:
dhbiv wrote:

oh, sorry I've asperger's so I took what you said literally. I look like a dumbass now. I'll probably delete it later. FML

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Going through last year's spreadsheet because I'm a data nerd and a sadist. 186 JS1s on there, minus 41 who never updated past "Decision Pending" leaves 145. Of those 136 were accepted. Of the 9 not, 4 were denied, 5 WL'd. Most of those folks have one or both numbers below medians/25ths. But these two scare the bajeezus out of me:

174/3.99: Denied
178/3.93: Denied

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Dovaking

New

Postby Dovaking » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:07 pm

alpinespring wrote:
unrelated wrote:
alpinespring wrote:
unrelated wrote:
dhbiv wrote:

oh, sorry I've asperger's so I took what you said literally. I look like a dumbass now. I'll probably delete it later. FML

Nah dude,mediated communication can ruin context clues. Don't stress it.

Smc1994

Silver

Postby Smc1994 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Pozzo wrote:Going through last year's spreadsheet because I'm a data nerd and a sadist. 186 JS1s on there, minus 41 who never updated past "Decision Pending" leaves 145. Of those 136 were accepted. Of the 9 not, 4 were denied, 5 WL'd. Most of those folks have one or both numbers below medians/25ths. But these two scare the bajeezus out of me:

Come on, the sado-masochism thread is in the Lounge! Look, guys, this sort of obsession only serves to exacerbate the anxiety that many of us already feel. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

unrelated

Bronze

Postby unrelated » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:16 pm

alpinespring wrote:
unrelated wrote:
alpinespring wrote:
unrelated wrote:
dhbiv wrote:

You're alright, mate. Don't sweat it. I do still consider myself a very reliable source.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:35 pm

Last edited by Pozzo on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonperson2017

New

Postby anonperson2017 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Last edited by anonperson2017 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:40 pm

those people are probably robots who haven't been able to talk since "the accident".

Smc1994

Silver

Postby Smc1994 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:40 pm

Pozzo wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
Pozzo wrote:Going through last year's spreadsheet because I'm a data nerd and a sadist. 186 JS1s on there, minus 41 who never updated past "Decision Pending" leaves 145. Of those 136 were accepted. Of the 9 not, 4 were denied, 5 WL'd. Most of those folks have one or both numbers below medians/25ths. But these two scare the bajeezus out of me:

Come on, the sado-masochism thread is in the Lounge! Look, guys, this sort of obsession only serves to exacerbate the anxiety that many of us already feel. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Hahaha.

All in good fun... haha
Does make you wonder how bad a JS1 has to go for a 178 to get dinged.

And people say that I have a warped idea of fun :mrgreen:

I suspect it may progress in a fashion similar to this:

HLS: Good morning, and thank you for taking the time to meet with us.
178: I'm not opposed to considering taking my talents to Cambridge.
HLS: Well, okay, let's get started. Tell me a bit about "x".
178: Didn't you read my application? Everyone reads my application.
HLS: Okay, thanks for your time.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:42 pm

mm2368 wrote:those people are probably robots who haven't been able to talk since "the accident".

You're like 50% of the reason I'm on TLS

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:44 pm

addie1412 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:those people are probably robots who haven't been able to talk since "the accident".

You're like 50% of the reason I'm on TLS

COME THROUGH! 50 is a LOT!
Thank you, though. Sometimes, I feel unappreciated on here but I think it's because people are threatened by how funny I am.

Jk but really, much love to you.

VapidP

Bronze

Postby VapidP » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:00 pm

I think the 178 3.93 kid is someone I know tangentially. Ended up off the waitlist at Columbia. I talked about this in the Columbia thread. Kid was super normal, from an Ivy. He was Asian American, which I hurt can harm you, but only very slightly.

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:05 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smc1994

Silver

Postby Smc1994 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:07 pm

potterotter wrote:
dhbiv wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
haley12 wrote:
unrelated wrote:
dhbiv wrote:

^^ same here

As someone on the other side (GPA well above median, LSAT below), I can also confirm

Yeah, I worded my post pretty poorly, but I wasn't trying to imply that was actually one of the rules. Just an example of a type of rule that they might use. There might be 20-30 programmed rules that scan the LSAC CAS data, which spits out some index number. Then the admissions people use that to decide JS1 requests.

One rule might be "anyone with at least one number above median, JS1"
Rule 2: URM with XXX stats, JS1
Rule 3, Numbers X amount below median, but X years work experience, JS1
Rule 4: People with masters degrees and X numbers
etc, etc etc.

These are probably not the actual rules, but some of the logic Harvard might apply; I wouldn't be surprised if the JS1 process was highly automated and computerized.

I am below 25 LSAT for H. I am only slightly above 50 GPA for H. KJD. No fancy softs. Not URM. Didn't attend a top school for undergrad. The strongest part of my application is the one they're required to read line by line, not something a computer could quantify.
Applied Sept, JS1 December, JS2 Feb.
So unless the algorithm includes "reading through all the files and actually putting weigh on what they say" (which would make the ones you submitted moot), there's no explanation for my JS2. Or my acceptances at YCC, where I was in a similar position.
Applying to T14 is a holistic process.

Is it possible that they just Accio-ed "compelling application components"?

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:11 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:17 pm

potterotter wrote:
dhbiv wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
haley12 wrote:
unrelated wrote:
dhbiv wrote:

^^ same here

As someone on the other side (GPA well above median, LSAT below), I can also confirm

Yeah, I worded my post pretty poorly, but I wasn't trying to imply that was actually one of the rules. Just an example of a type of rule that they might use. There might be 20-30 programmed rules that scan the LSAC CAS data, which spits out some index number. Then the admissions people use that to decide JS1 requests.

One rule might be "anyone with at least one number above median, JS1"
Rule 2: URM with XXX stats, JS1
Rule 3, Numbers X amount below median, but X years work experience, JS1
Rule 4: People with masters degrees and X numbers
etc, etc etc.

These are probably not the actual rules, but some of the logic Harvard might apply; I wouldn't be surprised if the JS1 process was highly automated and computerized.

I am below 25 LSAT for H. I am only slightly above 50 GPA for H. KJD. No fancy softs. Not URM. Didn't attend a top school for undergrad. The strongest part of my application is the one they're required to read line by line, not something a computer could quantify.
So unless the algorithm includes "reading through all the files and actually putting weight on what they say" (which would make the ones you submitted moot), there's no explanation for my JS2. Or my acceptances at YCC, where I was in a similar position.

Not remotely trying to dox you at all friend but you know we've spoken and your softs are pretty fancy. :D

unrelated

Bronze

Postby unrelated » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:20 pm

potterotter wrote:I am below 25 LSAT for H. I am only slightly above 50 GPA for H. KJD. No fancy softs. Not URM. Didn't attend a top school for undergrad. The strongest part of my application is the one they're required to read line by line, not something a computer could quantify.
So unless the algorithm includes "reading through all the files and actually putting weight on what they say" (which would make the ones you submitted moot), there's no explanation for my JS2. Or my acceptances at YCC, where I was in a similar position.

Well shit, now I want to read your personal statement. Very impressive, congrats on the great cycle.

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:22 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smc1994

Silver

Postby Smc1994 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:27 pm

potterotter wrote:In the way that I've seen them defined on here fancy softs are national awards (Rhodes etc). Everything for me is University-wide (in my own) or dealing with other low-ranked universities and law schools. My internships are also either local or state. Nothing fancy.

Are you suggesting that my membership in the Finer Things club isn't fancy?

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:34 pm

eh.... agree to disagree!
[+] Spoiler

Kinch08

Bronze

Postby Kinch08 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Isn't it possible that someone simply lied in the spreadsheet? That, for some odd reason, they inflated their numbers, or that they're just trolling future HLS applicants? I'm not saying that I think that's the explanation (I'm pretty sure that Harvard does ding people with good numbers sometimes, according to everything I've heard), but it's always been my impression that individual numbers from the spreadsheet/from LSN should be taken with a grain of salt.

I doubt, for example, that the "Elle Woods" with a 180, a 4.0, and an early acceptance is an actual applicant, although who knows.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?