Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2
2%
Tuesday 3/28
18
17%
Wednesday 3/29
35
32%
Thursday 3/30
13
12%
Friday 3/31
30
28%
Saturday 4/1
10
9%
 
Total votes: 108

User avatar
Saul Berenson

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Saul Berenson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:19 pm

11 minutes.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Got an email today from Harvard....Kennedy School. :roll:

italianlover

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:42 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby italianlover » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:28 pm

got a phone call from a 617 area code an hour ago. my heart stopped. wasn't Harvard.

been lurking for a while but had to share that with people who would understand the pain.

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Pozzo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Calling it.

User avatar
Saul Berenson

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Saul Berenson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:51 pm

Pozzo wrote:Calling it.


+1

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:10 pm

Saul Berenson wrote:
Pozzo wrote:Calling it.


+1


I think you should give up on the predictions.

Monday

Silver
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Monday » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:12 pm

.
Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ood's_brother

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ood's_brother » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:14 pm

Predictions remain accurate. There was always a low chance for today. Next Thursday is the day.

May I suggest we all head over to https://www.facebook.com/groups/579047158873245/ and wonder what those people have that we don't.

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Pozzo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:18 pm

ood's_brother wrote:Predictions remain accurate. There was always a low chance for today. Next Thursday is the day.

May I suggest we all head over to https://www.facebook.com/groups/579047158873245/ and wonder what those people have that we don't.

A JS2.

They have a JS2.

User avatar
ood's_brother

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ood's_brother » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Pozzo wrote:
ood's_brother wrote:Predictions remain accurate. There was always a low chance for today. Next Thursday is the day.

May I suggest we all head over to https://www.facebook.com/groups/579047158873245/ and wonder what those people have that we don't.

A JS2.

They have a JS2.


And handsome, shit! Are yall handsome too?

FUDGE, FUDGE

User avatar
LSRAT

Bronze
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:02 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LSRAT » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Pozzo wrote:
ood's_brother wrote:Predictions remain accurate. There was always a low chance for today. Next Thursday is the day.

May I suggest we all head over to https://www.facebook.com/groups/579047158873245/ and wonder what those people have that we don't.

A JS2.

They have a JS2.


Triggered.

canafsa

Bronze
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby canafsa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:34 pm

.
Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrJD2020

Bronze
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MrJD2020 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm so at my wits end that I'm linking a post I just made in the URM thread describing my current situation with H and a few other schools. I hesitated to post it there or link it here but I am extremely worried about how this cycle is going and have no clue how best to go forward here. Helpful advice only, please. Feel free to reply here or there.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=266507&p=9805166#p9805166

User avatar
Saul Berenson

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Saul Berenson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:38 pm

ood's_brother wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
ood's_brother wrote:Predictions remain accurate. There was always a low chance for today. Next Thursday is the day.

May I suggest we all head over to https://www.facebook.com/groups/579047158873245/ and wonder what those people have that we don't.

A JS2.

They have a JS2.


And handsome, shit! Are yall handsome too?

FUDGE, FUDGE


Nope! But a friend of mine who just graduated HLS told me and I quote "they are all hard bodies"

scott2016

New
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby scott2016 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:39 pm

.
Last edited by scott2016 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1906
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Pozzo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:44 pm

ood's_brother wrote:
Pozzo wrote:
ood's_brother wrote:Predictions remain accurate. There was always a low chance for today. Next Thursday is the day.

May I suggest we all head over to https://www.facebook.com/groups/579047158873245/ and wonder what those people have that we don't.

A JS2.

They have a JS2.


And handsome, shit! Are yall handsome too?

FUDGE, FUDGE

Now that you mention it... Dang, I guess that's why I haven't heard back yet.

User avatar
ood's_brother

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ood's_brother » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:51 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:I'm so at my wits end that I'm linking a post I just made in the URM thread describing my current situation with H and a few other schools. I hesitated to post it there or link it here but I am extremely worried about how this cycle is going and have no clue how best to go forward here. Helpful advice only, please. Feel free to reply here or there.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=266507&p=9805166#p9805166



Hmmmm, this may not be the best thread to solicit that kind of advice from.

canafsa

Bronze
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby canafsa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:51 pm

.
Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monday

Silver
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Monday » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:56 pm

.
Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ood's_brother

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ood's_brother » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Monday wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:I'm so at my wits end that I'm linking a post I just made in the URM thread describing my current situation with H and a few other schools. I hesitated to post it there or link it here but I am extremely worried about how this cycle is going and have no clue how best to go forward here. Helpful advice only, please. Feel free to reply here or there.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=266507&p=9805166#p9805166



Yea you're okay, just relax. Or become a regular in this thread if you'd rather not relax about it.

S/H have yet to admit most of their students. S has sent about 115 invites, so plenty left.

User avatar
MrJD2020

Bronze
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MrJD2020 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:17 pm

canafsa wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:I'm so at my wits end that I'm linking a post I just made in the URM thread describing my current situation with H and a few other schools. I hesitated to post it there or link it here but I am extremely worried about how this cycle is going and have no clue how best to go forward here. Helpful advice only, please. Feel free to reply here or there.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=266507&p=9805166#p9805166


I don't know how big the URM boost is, but I'd have applied to a few more safeties like Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, etc. if I was sitting below the 25th percentile LSAT and GPA scores at the entire T6 (and I certainly would temper expectation regarding the T3). Regardless, an interview with Columbia is obviously a good sign. You'll probably want to give them more than a month to turn around with an answer.

I really don't know what kind of advice you're looking for if your applications are completed. Stanford and NYU may be receptive to a LOCI, but sending one to Columbia where you just interviewed, or to Yale and Harvard, is probably a bad idea.


Thanks.

On safeties: I could have applied to safeties like those you mentioned, but I didn't for a few reasons. I know I would have been unhappy in Ithaca, Chicago, North Carolina, etc., because of weather/geography (I would have absolutely hated Chicago, I know this for a fact...some people really cannot live in certain places), or because they're not really great if you're gay (compared to NY and Boston), and because it's important that I stay in the NE corridor so I can be reasonably close to friends and family friends. That last one is more important for me than for the average person because my nuclear family is very small, we're not close, and we're scattered around the country/world with no real home base to speak of at this point, so it's best for me to be in NY/CT/MA where I'd be a bus or train away from I've known for 10+ years. I'd make an exception for Stanford in a heartbeat though. I also went to UG in Boston and still have many many good close friends there. Also, it would be hard to justify giving up a $135K salary and take out debt to go to a LS that I didn't truly want. So I kept it to Harvard, Yale (will probably apply now after all), Stanford, Columbia, Penn and NYU.

On Columbia: Agreed. Sitting tight is the best thing to do right now.

On Advice: the advice you gave is basically the advice I needed. I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea of submitting a LOCI and it's good to hear others saying they think it might be a bad idea.

canafsa

Bronze
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby canafsa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:46 pm

.
Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jjcorvino

Silver
Posts: 1456
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jjcorvino » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:47 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
canafsa wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:I'm so at my wits end that I'm linking a post I just made in the URM thread describing my current situation with H and a few other schools. I hesitated to post it there or link it here but I am extremely worried about how this cycle is going and have no clue how best to go forward here. Helpful advice only, please. Feel free to reply here or there.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=266507&p=9805166#p9805166


I don't know how big the URM boost is, but I'd have applied to a few more safeties like Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, etc. if I was sitting below the 25th percentile LSAT and GPA scores at the entire T6 (and I certainly would temper expectation regarding the T3). Regardless, an interview with Columbia is obviously a good sign. You'll probably want to give them more than a month to turn around with an answer.

I really don't know what kind of advice you're looking for if your applications are completed. Stanford and NYU may be receptive to a LOCI, but sending one to Columbia where you just interviewed, or to Yale and Harvard, is probably a bad idea.


Thanks.

On safeties: I could have applied to safeties like those you mentioned, but I didn't for a few reasons. I know I would have been unhappy in Ithaca, Chicago, North Carolina, etc., because of weather/geography (I would have absolutely hated Chicago, I know this for a fact...some people really cannot live in certain places), or because they're not really great if you're gay (compared to NY and Boston), and because it's important that I stay in the NE corridor so I can be reasonably close to friends and family friends. That last one is more important for me than for the average person because my nuclear family is very small, we're not close, and we're scattered around the country/world with no real home base to speak of at this point, so it's best for me to be in NY/CT/MA where I'd be a bus or train away from I've known for 10+ years. I'd make an exception for Stanford in a heartbeat though. I also went to UG in Boston and still have many many good close friends there. Also, it would be hard to justify giving up a $135K salary and take out debt to go to a LS that I didn't truly want. So I kept it to Harvard, Yale (will probably apply now after all), Stanford, Columbia, Penn and NYU.

On Columbia: Agreed. Sitting tight is the best thing to do right now.

On Advice: the advice you gave is basically the advice I needed. I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea of submitting a LOCI and it's good to hear others saying they think it might be a bad idea.


All you can do is sit and wait. You numbers are not strong for any of the schools you applied to, so unfortunately you are relying on the hope that they like your softs enough to admit you. That is possible (although probably not likely). Don't give up yet, it is still early.

One thing I noticed, you mentioned where your reccomendors graduated, but you did not mention their relation to you. I hope they were prior professors or bosses, not friends.

User avatar
MrJD2020

Bronze
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MrJD2020 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:05 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
canafsa wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:I'm so at my wits end that I'm linking a post I just made in the URM thread describing my current situation with H and a few other schools. I hesitated to post it there or link it here but I am extremely worried about how this cycle is going and have no clue how best to go forward here. Helpful advice only, please. Feel free to reply here or there.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=266507&p=9805166#p9805166


I don't know how big the URM boost is, but I'd have applied to a few more safeties like Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, etc. if I was sitting below the 25th percentile LSAT and GPA scores at the entire T6 (and I certainly would temper expectation regarding the T3). Regardless, an interview with Columbia is obviously a good sign. You'll probably want to give them more than a month to turn around with an answer.

I really don't know what kind of advice you're looking for if your applications are completed. Stanford and NYU may be receptive to a LOCI, but sending one to Columbia where you just interviewed, or to Yale and Harvard, is probably a bad idea.


Thanks.

On safeties: I could have applied to safeties like those you mentioned, but I didn't for a few reasons. I know I would have been unhappy in Ithaca, Chicago, North Carolina, etc., because of weather/geography (I would have absolutely hated Chicago, I know this for a fact...some people really cannot live in certain places), or because they're not really great if you're gay (compared to NY and Boston), and because it's important that I stay in the NE corridor so I can be reasonably close to friends and family friends. That last one is more important for me than for the average person because my nuclear family is very small, we're not close, and we're scattered around the country/world with no real home base to speak of at this point, so it's best for me to be in NY/CT/MA where I'd be a bus or train away from I've known for 10+ years. I'd make an exception for Stanford in a heartbeat though. I also went to UG in Boston and still have many many good close friends there. Also, it would be hard to justify giving up a $135K salary and take out debt to go to a LS that I didn't truly want. So I kept it to Harvard, Yale (will probably apply now after all), Stanford, Columbia, Penn and NYU.

On Columbia: Agreed. Sitting tight is the best thing to do right now.

On Advice: the advice you gave is basically the advice I needed. I'm not terribly comfortable with the idea of submitting a LOCI and it's good to hear others saying they think it might be a bad idea.


All you can do is sit and wait. You numbers are not strong for any of the schools you applied to, so unfortunately you are relying on the hope that they like your softs enough to admit you. That is possible (although probably not likely). Don't give up yet, it is still early.

One thing I noticed, you mentioned where your reccomendors graduated, but you did not mention their relation to you. I hope they were prior professors or bosses, not friends.


Friends?! Absolutely not. All former or current bosses -- two are V3 lawyers and one's a general counsel of a hedge fund.

lawschool2017712

Bronze
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawschool2017712 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:43 pm

x
Last edited by lawschool2017712 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: john_david100 and 11 guests