Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2
2%
Tuesday 3/28
18
17%
Wednesday 3/29
35
32%
Thursday 3/30
13
12%
Friday 3/31
30
28%
Saturday 4/1
10
9%
 
Total votes: 108

goldenbear2020

Silver
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby goldenbear2020 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:33 pm

Monday wrote:There are way more 172+ scores than HYS collectively need.

Assuming HLS wants its 173 median back and YS hold their medians, that's at least 563/2 + 210/2 + 180/4 = 432 seats for 173+ scorers, out of an applicant pool of 840. That means HYS will enroll at least 51% of all 173+ scorers this cycle, and that's not even considering the GPA cutoffs. CLS enrolls at least another 12%.

addie1412

Silver
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby addie1412 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 pm

.
Last edited by addie1412 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hammy393

Bronze
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hammy393 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:48 pm

wheathins wrote:By the way, while we wait, does anyone know any link/articles that explain in greater detail how the files are read at HLS?

I ask because I see "a former voting member at ....XXXX admissions committee" in bios. This line alone makes it sound like there's an actual admissions "committee" and that they actually "vote" like they do in "Legally Blonde."

I've been Googling and my understanding of the HLS file reading process is that two people each read your application separately, gives a numerical rating based on (LSAT/GPA/Softs), and if both agree to admit, then that person is an admit. If the two disagree, then the Dean decides. Is this fairly accurate?

So it's not like there's a literally "committee" that debates your application and actually "vote," right?

I also heard that HLS professors might read the files. Does anyone know at what stages they read your files and whose files they read?


HLS' description of the admissions process: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmission ... black-box/

After JS1, you're sent to faculty review, then the admissions committee makes a decision (taking into account the initial review, interview notes, faculty notes, etc). No one gets admitted without the stamp of approval of a faculty member

wheathins

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby wheathins » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:21 pm

.
Last edited by wheathins on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eck456

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby eck456 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:07 pm

.
Last edited by eck456 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ood's_brother

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ood's_brother » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:53 pm

eck456 wrote:
ood's_brother wrote:Her being in HLS would make it a no contest choosing between other schools.


I love my drama and extreme vetting.


So I was talking to some of the profs/ TAs who are teaching Malia's classes next year (at a friend's bday dinner, her mom runs a house for grad students), and they've already been in crazy security clearances, etc. That's why she deferred - it takes a year to vet all the profs, the tech she'll use, etc. and she won't even be the current first daughter. not to bust anyone's bubble, but I would be supper surprised if Tiff doesn't have to defer a year for "work experience" or whatever before she actually starts bc they're going to need to vet everyone in her section, profs, TFs, etc.

Also, if y'all didn't live in Chicago during the early Obama years I feel like you're REALLY underestimating how annoying it is when they shut literally everything down when Dad visits. None of us want to go where Tiff is, unless you enjoy being forced to wait 40 minutes to cross campus by a lot of big dudes in black suits with earpieces


Snap, but think of the glorious selfie opportunities.

User avatar
azaleafire

Bronze
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby azaleafire » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:05 am

eck456 wrote:
Also, if y'all didn't live in Chicago during the early Obama years I feel like you're REALLY underestimating how annoying it is when they shut literally everything down when Dad visits. None of us want to go where Tiff is, unless you enjoy being forced to wait 40 minutes to cross campus by a lot of big dudes in black suits with earpieces



This ^^^

User avatar
cherrygalore

Bronze
Posts: 474
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cherrygalore » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:26 am

azaleafire wrote:
eck456 wrote:
Also, if y'all didn't live in Chicago during the early Obama years I feel like you're REALLY underestimating how annoying it is when they shut literally everything down when Dad visits. None of us want to go where Tiff is, unless you enjoy being forced to wait 40 minutes to cross campus by a lot of big dudes in black suits with earpieces



This ^^^


I dont think Trump will ever be visiting poor Tiffany--she has never been in the favor of the king.

eck456

Bronze
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby eck456 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:46 am

cherrygalore wrote:
azaleafire wrote:
eck456 wrote:
Also, if y'all didn't live in Chicago during the early Obama years I feel like you're REALLY underestimating how annoying it is when they shut literally everything down when Dad visits. None of us want to go where Tiff is, unless you enjoy being forced to wait 40 minutes to cross campus by a lot of big dudes in black suits with earpieces



This ^^^


I dont think Trump will ever be visiting poor Tiffany--she has never been in the favor of the king.


that's a solid point

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calpolisci2016 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:38 am

What do you all think Tiffany wrote about in her personal statement?

User avatar
Saul Berenson

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Saul Berenson » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:48 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:What do you all think Tiffany wrote about in her personal statement?


I AM TIFFANY TRUMP. (In really YUUUGE font to take up 2 pages)

Better question: How u think her JS1 went or would go?

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calpolisci2016 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:20 am

Saul Berenson wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:What do you all think Tiffany wrote about in her personal statement?


I AM TIFFANY TRUMP. (In really YUUUGE font to take up 2 pages)

Better question: How u think her JS1 went or would go?


Better question: how do you think Tiffany Trump would take getting cold called?

User avatar
candidatesoup

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:44 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby candidatesoup » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:49 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:
Saul Berenson wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:What do you all think Tiffany wrote about in her personal statement?


I AM TIFFANY TRUMP. (In really YUUUGE font to take up 2 pages)

Better question: How u think her JS1 went or would go?


Better question: how do you think Tiffany Trump would take getting cold called?


why are we assuming tiffany trump isn't intelligent/wouldn't have a compelling application tho - because her family background is disagreeable? if you're applying to H you probably aced the LSAT, y'all should know that some flawed logic

User avatar
ws120

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:21 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ws120 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:31 am

candidatesoup wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
Saul Berenson wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:What do you all think Tiffany wrote about in her personal statement?


I AM TIFFANY TRUMP. (In really YUUUGE font to take up 2 pages)

Better question: How u think her JS1 went or would go?


Better question: how do you think Tiffany Trump would take getting cold called?


why are we assuming tiffany trump isn't intelligent/wouldn't have a compelling application tho - because her family background is disagreeable? if you're applying to H you probably aced the LSAT, y'all should know that some flawed logic


If you apply to HLS --> probably aced the LSAT. Tell that to the 4000+ people who apply and have no where near the numbers to be competitive.

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calpolisci2016 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:08 am

candidatesoup wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
Saul Berenson wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:What do you all think Tiffany wrote about in her personal statement?


I AM TIFFANY TRUMP. (In really YUUUGE font to take up 2 pages)

Better question: How u think her JS1 went or would go?


Better question: how do you think Tiffany Trump would take getting cold called?


why are we assuming tiffany trump isn't intelligent/wouldn't have a compelling application tho - because her family background is disagreeable? if you're applying to H you probably aced the LSAT, y'all should know that some flawed logic


Why are you assuming that we are assuming such things? My questioning was more in the line of wondering how such a figure, the First Daughter, framed her application. And as an interviewer, what questions would you ask someone like Tiffany Trump, whom the public knows more about than the average HLS candidate?

Personally, I would treat her like any other candidate but I find it interesting how her extraordinary circumstances would affect the process.

Questioning =/= doubting someone's intelligence

User avatar
candidatesoup

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:44 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby candidatesoup » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:12 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:
candidatesoup wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
Saul Berenson wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:What do you all think Tiffany wrote about in her personal statement?


I AM TIFFANY TRUMP. (In really YUUUGE font to take up 2 pages)

Better question: How u think her JS1 went or would go?


Better question: how do you think Tiffany Trump would take getting cold called?


why are we assuming tiffany trump isn't intelligent/wouldn't have a compelling application tho - because her family background is disagreeable? if you're applying to H you probably aced the LSAT, y'all should know that some flawed logic


Why are you assuming that we are assuming such things? My questioning was more in the line of wondering how such a figure, the First Daughter, framed her application. And as an interviewer, what questions would you ask someone like Tiffany Trump, whom the public knows more about than the average HLS candidate?

Personally, I would treat her like any other candidate but I find it interesting how her extraordinary circumstances would affect the process.

Questioning =/= doubting someone's intelligence


Tone in general of Trump comments came off as snarky. Could be just be me - snark is subjective.
I agree questions about personal Statement/app materials comments are totally valid and interesting, especially given her unique background.

Imo the 'how well will she cold call/how will her JS1 go' seem to implicitly doubt her quality as an applicant, which - as far as I know - we have no reason to do.

anonperson2017

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby anonperson2017 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:04 am

.
Last edited by anonperson2017 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
ayylmao

Silver
Posts: 532
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ayylmao » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 am

Sooo...wave? :D

canafsa

Bronze
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby canafsa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:27 am

.
Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ood's_brother

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ood's_brother » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:31 am

candidatesoup wrote:why are we assuming tiffany trump isn't intelligent/wouldn't have a compelling application tho - because her family background is disagreeable? if you're applying to H you probably aced the LSAT, y'all should know that some flawed logic


LOL, this guy


But no, today is not the day. It's a 50% chance it's tomorrow and 99% chance it's next Thursday.

dhbiv

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dhbiv » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:38 am

.
Last edited by dhbiv on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

canafsa

Bronze
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby canafsa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:41 am

.
Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
forum_user

Silver
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby forum_user » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:42 am

dhbiv wrote:
canafsa wrote:
ayylmao wrote:Sooo...wave? :D


Doubt it. Anyone know which days of the week the first two waves this year fell on?


The Jan 25 wave was on a Wednesday. I understand everyone's appreciation for using last year's dates as guidance for guessing this year's JS2 dates (hell, I'm an accountant and my profession revolves around just doing what you did last year), but going through the historic LSN data, JS2 waves have been on every weekday (although I do concede that most of the time they do tend to be in the Wed-Fri range; but it's far from certain). The times are bimodal: either a wave happens in the morning starting at around 10:30 or it starts in the afternoon at around 3:30 EST.

That's what I've gathered from the LSN data at least.

Cosign this post. If we've learned anything from recent history, it should be that we can't learn anything from history.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:03 pm

candidatesoup wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
Saul Berenson wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:What do you all think Tiffany wrote about in her personal statement?


I AM TIFFANY TRUMP. (In really YUUUGE font to take up 2 pages)

Better question: How u think her JS1 went or would go?


Better question: how do you think Tiffany Trump would take getting cold called?


why are we assuming tiffany trump isn't intelligent/wouldn't have a compelling application tho - because her family background is disagreeable? if you're applying to H you probably aced the LSAT, y'all should know that some flawed logic


No one's really making that assumption (a few people are probably still basing it off that practice test she instaded), they're just discussing hypotheticals

EMPS2020

New
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby EMPS2020 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:23 pm

Monday wrote:
canafsa wrote:
curry1 wrote:
canafsa wrote:
Monday wrote:
canafsa wrote:Well, I'm about ready to call it. Hope for a 2/14 JS2 flatlined at 4:47 pm.

To be revived tomorrow 7:30 a.m. EST.


Wednesday feels unlikely somehow. I'm guessing the Thursday after next is most plausible.


Why not this Thursday?


My gut tells me definitely not. It feels too soon, and it would be uncharacteristically generous for the admissions office to end our suffering a single moment before it is absolutely necessary.

Last year, they sent out 5 JS2 waves by this point, whereas this year, there have only been 2. Resuscitate!
(Not sure why I bother with the hype train, since I was part of the most recent JS1 wave and so won't hear back until March.)


Why do you say you wont hear back until March? There have been people who hear back a week or two after their JS1s. I was part of the most recent JS1 so just trying to keep my hopes up. Perhaps your strategy is better though.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 22 guests