Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2
2%
Tuesday 3/28
18
17%
Wednesday 3/29
35
33%
Thursday 3/30
13
12%
Friday 3/31
29
27%
Saturday 4/1
10
9%
 
Total votes: 107

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby btruj777 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:21 pm

mm2368 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:Re: the cuban/peruvian that got a JS1 with 167/3.96 today - is it the consensus that cuban/peruvian does *not* get a URM boost?

asking b/c i want to know if 100% non-URM me has a shot


I'm Cuban and was told it is not a boost.



Right that is what I have been told, but its seems like this is not substantiated too well.

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calpolisci2016 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:24 pm

I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?

User avatar
R. Jeeves

Gold
Posts: 1980
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby R. Jeeves » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:30 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?

mine was really chill

User avatar
Future Ex-Engineer

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:30 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?


Numbers?

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:12 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?


Numbers?

From what people have reported, they seem chill/conversational

Also, +1 for the numbers request.

User avatar
galeatus

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby galeatus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:01 pm

JS1 and in deep shock :shock:

fwiw, International GPA eval Above Average, 50>LSAT>25, fairly lackluster i think

User avatar
hellohalo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hellohalo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:09 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?


I was in the same boat with you. I never followed this thread before I got invited to interview.

It's very chill. Just relax and be confident.

Alexandros

Platinum
Posts: 6478
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:46 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Alexandros » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:17 pm

galeatus wrote:JS1 and in deep shock :shock:

fwiw, International GPA eval Above Average, 50>LSAT>25, fairly lackluster i think

AWWW YEESSSS.
:D :D :D :D
Congrats!!

sigree

Bronze
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby sigree » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:06 am

I know this was probably already discussed but what questions are generally asked?

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calpolisci2016 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:50 am

ashrice13 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?


Numbers?

From what people have reported, they seem chill/conversational

Also, +1 for the numbers request.


I don't want to be so specific but I'm way below lsat 25th percentile and I'm between 25th and median for GPA.

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calpolisci2016 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:51 am

hellohalo wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?


I was in the same boat with you. I never followed this thread before I got invited to interview.

It's very chill. Just relax and be confident.


Besides "why law" and "why Harvard" and "tell me about yourself" what sorts of questions should I expect? What aspects my of my app should I focus on?

User avatar
hellohalo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hellohalo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:16 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?


I was in the same boat with you. I never followed this thread before I got invited to interview.

It's very chill. Just relax and be confident.


Besides "why law" and "why Harvard" and "tell me about yourself" what sorts of questions should I expect? What aspects my of my app should I focus on?[/quote

Contribution to HLS
Your past experiences on your resume
Pretty standard I think

Once again, relax and be confident :)

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:15 am

galeatus wrote:JS1 and in deep shock :shock:

fwiw, International GPA eval Above Average, 50>LSAT>25, fairly lackluster i think

Wahoo!!! Congrats!

User avatar
ashrice13

Gold
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ashrice13 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:17 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?


Numbers?

From what people have reported, they seem chill/conversational

Also, +1 for the numbers request.


I don't want to be so specific but I'm way below lsat 25th percentile and I'm between 25th and median for GPA.

Well then, Congrats!!!

You give me hope.

Mackgal

Bronze
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:13 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mackgal » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:15 am

ashrice13 wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
ashrice13 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?


Numbers?

From what people have reported, they seem chill/conversational

Also, +1 for the numbers request.


I don't want to be so specific but I'm way below lsat 25th percentile and I'm between 25th and median for GPA.

Well then, Congrats!!!

You give me hope.


are you a URM?

Pozzo

Gold
Posts: 1907
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Pozzo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 am

galeatus wrote:JS1 and in deep shock :shock:

fwiw, International GPA eval Above Average, 50>LSAT>25, fairly lackluster i think

Clearly they don't think so.

Congrats!

dc_diva

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dc_diva » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:27 am

btruj777 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:Re: the cuban/peruvian that got a JS1 with 167/3.96 today - is it the consensus that cuban/peruvian does *not* get a URM boost?

asking b/c i want to know if 100% non-URM me has a shot


I'm Cuban and was told it is not a boost.



Right that is what I have been told, but its seems like this is not substantiated too well.


I think that if you wrote a compelling diversity statement about being *insert your non-traditional URM of choice* they will take that into account...As in, I had a JS1 in November and was told by everyone that my ethnicity (Hispanic/Latina, but not PR or Mexican American) wouldn't give me a boost but I'm below both 25% so, I'm inclined to think they are absolutely considering me a URM.

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby btruj777 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:31 am

dc_diva wrote:
btruj777 wrote:
mm2368 wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:Re: the cuban/peruvian that got a JS1 with 167/3.96 today - is it the consensus that cuban/peruvian does *not* get a URM boost?

asking b/c i want to know if 100% non-URM me has a shot


I'm Cuban and was told it is not a boost.



Right that is what I have been told, but its seems like this is not substantiated too well.


I think that if you wrote a compelling diversity statement about being *insert your non-traditional URM of choice* they will take that into account...As in, I had a JS1 in November and was told by everyone that my ethnicity (Hispanic/Latina, but not PR or Mexican American) wouldn't give me a boost but I'm below both 25% so, I'm inclined to think they are absolutely considering me a URM.


Same story here! But I didn't write a DS, is it too late now? Are we okay in thinking that because we got JS1, they are taking URM into account?

User avatar
airwrecka

Silver
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby airwrecka » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:35 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?


I was in the same boat with you. I never followed this thread before I got invited to interview.

It's very chill. Just relax and be confident.


Besides "why law" and "why Harvard" and "tell me about yourself" what sorts of questions should I expect? What aspects my of my app should I focus on?


This does not seem to be typical, but I was also asked "describe how you work/what role you take on in groups" and "describe a time you had to have a really hard conversation with someone and how you handled it" (specifically someone who you disagree adamantly with on an important issue)

User avatar
Smc1994

Silver
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:39 am

airwrecka wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:I just got an invitation to interview and I'm honestly shocked.

I do not have the numbers for HLS, either. In fact I'm so shocked because I haven't even been browsing this particular thread since I thought HLS is out of my league.

Are interviews pretty chill or are they intended to put the pressure on you?


I was in the same boat with you. I never followed this thread before I got invited to interview.

It's very chill. Just relax and be confident.


Besides "why law" and "why Harvard" and "tell me about yourself" what sorts of questions should I expect? What aspects my of my app should I focus on?


This does not seem to be typical, but I was also asked "describe how you work/what role you take on in groups" and "describe a time you had to have a really hard conversation with someone and how you handled it" (specifically someone who you disagree adamantly with on an important issue)


If I'm not mistaken, you're the only one to get those particular questions-- or, perhaps, to report them in the thread. It seems like your interviewer was picking up on a particular aspect of your application, and giving you an opportunity to expound upon, and strengthen, it. If that's the case, then they're reading our apps very carefully, and giving us an opportunity to talk our way into a JS2. Granted, this is all speculation fueled by extreme sleep depravation.

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett

Gold
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:02 am

dc_diva wrote: I think that if you wrote a compelling diversity statement about being *insert your non-traditional URM of choice* they will take that into account...As in, I had a JS1 in November and was told by everyone that my ethnicity (Hispanic/Latina, but not PR or Mexican American) wouldn't give me a boost but I'm below both 25% so, I'm inclined to think they are absolutely considering me a URM.


DO NOT QUOTE, PLEASE:

This. +1,000,000.

I think there certainly is a boost whether anyone wishes to admit it or not. I've seen people whom I would identify as NON-TRADITIONAL URM identify as non-URM and I feel it is because they're ashamed that it could have boosted them in the admissions process. Frankly that's a damn shame. ..... y'all, I'll take whatever boost I can get. We're talking about our futures here. Ain't no games to be PLAYED. Nothing to be ashamed about, either. A boost is not enough to get you in. Something about your application needs to stand out so no one should be reducing anyone, herself or himself included, to mere race or ethnicity.

Lastly, when people incessantly remind others that they are not URM if they're non-traditional (outside the LSAC parameters of MX or PR) - it sounds so self-serving, to be honest. Y'all either want to convince others that they have no boost to make them feel like they should withdraw or, at least, have no hope; or, you're just bothered, in which case, can't relate. #peace&blessings

dc_diva

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dc_diva » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:12 am

^^ Yes!

Totally agree. Not going to out myself as to what ethnicity I am (but I also checked just Hispanic/Latina but not caucasian because I have never considered myself or been considered by others to be white) but idk, I didn't grow up seeing ANYONE from my community in positions of power/legal careers/with graduate degrees so I'm going to take any boost I can get and run with it so that other little Latinas can grow up seeing that someone from their background can make it. Also posting this because I almost didn't apply to anywhere above Cornell but decided to just go for it and see if anyone wanted to take a chance on this Latina and have been having an awesome cycle. So if anyone else out there is unsure because they aren't a "traditional URM" -- go for it! Diversity in the legal field is desperately needed. :)

User avatar
calpolisci2016

Bronze
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:42 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calpolisci2016 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:22 am

I read that Jessica Soban interview that birthed the "900 out of 1200 people who are interviewed are admitted therefore it's a 75% success rate for JS1" meme.

However I noticed that Jessica said that in 2012 they were aiming for 1200. They very well could've failed to get that number, or have since reverted to the traditional 1000 interviews. This would make the acceptance rate much much higher.

There's probably no further information on this since nothing else has been cited to clarify the acceptance rate for JS1s, but I wanted to see what other people think.

User avatar
forum_user

Silver
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby forum_user » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:32 am

calpolisci2016 wrote:I read that Jessica Soban interview that birthed the "900 out of 1200 people who are interviewed are admitted therefore it's a 75% success rate for JS1" meme.

Do you even kno what a meme is

User avatar
Smc1994

Silver
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 am

forum_user wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:I read that Jessica Soban interview that birthed the "900 out of 1200 people who are interviewed are admitted therefore it's a 75% success rate for JS1" meme.

Do you even kno what a meme is


It's pronounced muh-may.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests