Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Next JS2 wave(s) will be...

Monday 3/27
2%
Tuesday 3/28
17%
Wednesday 3/29
32%
Thursday 3/30
12%
Friday 3/31
28%
Saturday 4/1
9%

Total votes: 108

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Post by futureellewoods123 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:39 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
Npret wrote: FYI: you guys know the adcomms check this forum everyday and that they are most likely able to identify you if they want? Ask In Spiveys thread if you don't believe.
I stand by my posts. Except the one about Jack Schlossberg, because he might have an uncle on the admissions committee or something. Jack's cool.

That makes one of us. BRB, deleting my account.
I sure hope they don't, though this isn't the first time it's occurred to me that they might. The idea that adcoms look at these forums makes the whole process even more nerve-wracking. Especially if these forums are one of the few resources you have to guide you through the process in the first place.[/quote]

I doubt they have time to look at these. They have thousands of apps to go through. I doubt they look even when they're done working and at home, they probably want to escape the process for the few hours they're able to.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:48 pm

futureellewoods123 wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
Npret wrote: FYI: you guys know the adcomms check this forum everyday and that they are most likely able to identify you if they want? Ask In Spiveys thread if you don't believe.
I stand by my posts. Except the one about Jack Schlossberg, because he might have an uncle on the admissions committee or something. Jack's cool.

I sure hope they don't, though this isn't the first time it's occurred to me that they might. The idea that adcoms look at these forums makes the whole process even more nerve-wracking. Especially if these forums are one of the few resources you have to guide you through the process in the first place.
I doubt they have time to look at these. They have thousands of apps to go through. I doubt they look even when they're done working and at home, they probably want to escape the process for the few hours they're able to.[/quote]

Think about how many people are working full time and neurotically checking these forums for the fourteen schools (if not more) they applied to. I'm sure adcoms can peruse through just the HLS related threads without putting a dent in their lunch break.

Smc1994

Silver

Post by Smc1994 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:49 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
futureellewoods123 wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:

I sure hope they don't, though this isn't the first time it's occurred to me that they might. The idea that adcoms look at these forums makes the whole process even more nerve-wracking. Especially if these forums are one of the few resources you have to guide you through the process in the first place.
I doubt they have time to look at these. They have thousands of apps to go through. I doubt they look even when they're done working and at home, they probably want to escape the process for the few hours they're able to.
Think about how many people are working full time and neurotically checking these forums for the fourteen schools (if not more) they applied to. I'm sure adcoms can peruse through just the HLS related threads without putting a dent in their lunch break.[/quote]

Well, now I know why we haven't seen a JS2 wave. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Lunch breaks are everything that's wrong with this country.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:50 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:

I sure hope they don't, though this isn't the first time it's occurred to me that they might. The idea that adcoms look at these forums makes the whole process even more nerve-wracking. Especially if these forums are one of the few resources you have to guide you through the process in the first place.[/quote]
Of course they do. They search for the school name. I know it has been discussed and Spivey confirmed it.
You just need to be careful. Doesn't mean not to post or use the forum. I doubt that many people have been hurt, just be aware.
Last edited by Npret on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ayylmao

Silver

Post by ayylmao » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:51 pm

dhbiv wrote:
canafsa wrote:
ayylmao wrote:Sooo...wave? :D
Doubt it. Anyone know which days of the week the first two waves this year fell on?
The Jan 25 wave was on a Wednesday. I understand everyone's appreciation for using last year's dates as guidance for guessing this year's JS2 dates (hell, I'm an accountant and my profession revolves around just doing what you did last year), but going through the historic LSN data, JS2 waves have been on every weekday (although I do concede that most of the time they do tend to be in the Wed-Fri range; but it's far from certain). The times are bimodal: either a wave happens in the morning starting at around 10:30 or it starts in the afternoon at around 3:30 EST.

That's what I've gathered from the LSN data at least.
Incredibly neurotic and very interesting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:52 pm

At an event I went to, JS explicitly said that she reads boards and enjoys puzzling out who people are "my version of fantasy football."

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Of course they check these boards. That's why we don't have JS2s yet. They're waiting for page 100.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaziende

Bronze

Post by Kaziende » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Pozzo wrote:Of course they check these boards. That's why we don't have JS2s yet. They're waiting for page 100.
Offering to this post to bring you all closer to 100 and therefore closer to JS2s.

(Hope they're not waiting for 180.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

forum_user

Silver

Post by forum_user » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Kaziende wrote:
Pozzo wrote:Of course they check these boards. That's why we don't have JS2s yet. They're waiting for page 100.
Offering to this post to bring you all closer to 100 and therefore closer to JS2s.

Catch-22: we only get JS2s if we shitpost our way to 180, but we can't get a JS2 if we shitpost in the first place.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:08 pm

forum_user wrote:
Kaziende wrote:

Catch-22: we only get JS2s if we shitpost our way to 180, but we can't get a JS2 if we shitpost in the first place.
Maybe we just keep the vitriolic shitpoasting to a minimum...?

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Npret wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:

Of course they do. They search for the school name. I know it has been discussed and Spivey confirmed it.
You just need to be careful. Doesn't mean not to post or use the forum. I doubt that many people have been hurt, just be aware.[/quote]

I figured that they probably check. My real identity would be incredibly easy to figure out (my username is my name). I don't really care if they see what schools I have gotten into or see me freak out about possible waves. I don't do anything controversial. That is one of the reasons I don't understand when people won't post their stats. Do those people really care if the adcoms know they are posting things online? My rule is, don't post anything online that you would be ashamed to say in real life. the only thing I do not post is my scholarship numbers.

canafsa

Bronze

Post by canafsa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

VA2lawschool

Bronze

Post by VA2lawschool » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:26 pm

canafsa wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Npret wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:

You just need to be careful. Doesn't mean not to post or use the forum. I doubt that many people have been hurt, just be aware.
I figured that they probably check. My real identity would be incredibly easy to figure out (my username is my name). I don't really care if they see what schools I have gotten into or see me freak out about possible waves. I don't do anything controversial. That is one of the reasons I don't understand when people won't post their stats. Do those people really care if the adcoms know they are posting things online? My rule is, don't post anything online that you would be ashamed to say in real life. the only thing I do not post is my scholarship numbers.
Respectfully disagre. Anonymity and the ability to speak openly is the greatest benefit of this board, otherwise I'd just be talking to advisors or family or whatever.
I mean, I get that, but didn't you post your LSN profile on here? It would be pretty obvious who you are.

canafsa

Bronze

Post by canafsa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:28 pm

canafsa

Bronze

Post by canafsa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:45 pm

canafsa wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Npret wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:

Respectfully disagre. Anonymity and the ability to speak openly is the greatest benefit of this board, otherwise I'd just be talking to advisors or family or whatever.
I feel as though I can speak openly without negatively impacting my applications while not being anonymous. I don't have a problem with schools seeing me talk about them being slow, or talking about other random things.

Of course, it is probably safer to be anonymous. If I had any comments that I did not want tied to me, I would ask them using an alternate account (for example, if I had a question on how to present my C&F issue).

canafsa

Bronze

Post by canafsa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:59 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gargleblaster

Bronze

Post by gargleblaster » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:01 pm

Why even hang around bears if you're not going to poke them?

texteach

Bronze

Post by texteach » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:05 pm

Seriously - I was loving that Monty Python run :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kinch08

Bronze

Post by Kinch08 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
Well, putting aside the claim that typing a falsehood on TLS is somehow exempt from any legal recourse to which the party would otherwise be entitled, I was only commenting on the notion that the "celebrity class" does not deserve protection.
For a libel suit, AFAIK, you'd need at least:

1. Proof that the statement was false

2. Proof that Tiff was materially harmed by the false statement

3. Proof that it was publicized with malicious intent

4. It couldn't be opinion

Nothing that anyone has posted or is likely to post fits the bill. Anything that's opinion is protected by the first amendment, which was the point I was trying to make with my "I can bash anyone I want to." And putting aside the legality of the issue, I don't feel like "she might get in even if she doesn't have good numbers" is especially mean-spirited. No one actually insulted her.

But yeah, I more or less agree with you about celebrity class.
Last edited by Kinch08 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smc1994

Silver

Post by Smc1994 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Kinch08 wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
Well, putting aside the claim that typing a falsehood on TLS is somehow exempt from any legal recourse to which the party would otherwise be entitled, I was only commenting on the notion that the "celebrity class" does not deserve protection.
For a libel suit, AFAIK, you'd need at least:

1. Proof that the statement was false

2. Proof that Tiff was materially harmed by the false statement

3. Proof that it was publicized with malicious intent

4. It couldn't be opinion

Nothing that anyone has posted or is likely to post fits the bill. Anything that's opinion is protected by the first amendment, which was the point I was trying to make with my "I can bash anyone I want to." And putting aside the legality of the issue, I don't feel like "she might get in even if she doesn't have good numbers" is especially mean-spirited. No one actually insulted her.

But yeah, I more or less agree with you about celebrity class
While I really want to postpone this until you and I are able to debate it in 1st amendment at HLS, I will point out that I said "recourse to which the party would otherwise be entitled", rather than claiming that she would be entitled based on what was said. As for the standard of libel, I don't know if malicious intent is always necessary- for instance, the party may know the statement was false, but nevertheless be able to prove there was no intent to cause harm. Consider a blog post in which a person knowingly made an outlandish, and false, statement in an effort to profit from the clicks. My understanding is that the circuits are not united on whether intent to profit equates to malice. Is that person guilty of libel?
Last edited by Smc1994 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

canafsa

Bronze

Post by canafsa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Last edited by canafsa on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinch08

Bronze

Post by Kinch08 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:28 pm

canafsa wrote: God, maybe I don't want to go to law school after all
You know you love it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”