*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. ***

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Bronze

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 88234 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:38 pm

fips tedora wrote:
88234 wrote:
fips tedora wrote:If you're ED and got held, just withdraw your app, and move on. :cry:

No one do this. This is not good advice.

Stop talking, you plebeian. This is 180 advice. Sage advice.

Plz. This is Kaplan prep level advice.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:39 pm

chargers21 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
notsolawful wrote:Don't forget to fill out the form that you still want to be considered for RD. Also, it's cool to know that we'll definitely find out before february.

That seems like a form that would be incredibly easy to miss if you are let down from the letter and upset. I would hope that they send a reminder to people that didn't have the heart to read all the way down the hold letter.

True, I only saw it after I stopped sobbing. Btw JJ, I'm incredibly surprised you didn't get the ED and I feel more for you than anyone else, including myself. You were literally probably the last person who they decided to hold instead of accept.

Thanks for the kind words

alpha kenny body

Gold

Postby alpha kenny body » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:39 pm

mudiverse wrote:The rat race for open spots @ sticker price is on. tedora playing the long con.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:45 pm

88234 wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
88234 wrote:
fips tedora wrote:If you're ED and got held, just withdraw your app, and move on. :cry:

So, great advice? I thought we all loved Kaplan...right? (I only did Kaplan for my first take... :oops: )

alpha kenny body

Gold

Postby alpha kenny body » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:46 pm

guybourdin wrote:
88234 wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
88234 wrote:

So, great advice? I thought we all loved Kaplan...right? (I only did Kaplan for my first take... :oops: )

exactly. I highly advise this route.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:49 pm

fips tedora wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
88234 wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
88234 wrote:

exactly. I highly advise this route.

I, at least, am never taking the lsat again. Pretty sure I could do better, but I am okay where I'm at.

btruj777

Bronze

Postby btruj777 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:50 pm

As if there existed a Kaplan alternative HA!.

Schotes

New

Postby Schotes » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:27 pm

There are 20 ED slots, all with the 150K scholarship. All the acceptances were made available 12/15.

These twenty slots are very competitive as these are the only "merit only" scholarships offered by Northwestern. Many people with competitive GPA/LSAT waitlisted from this ED process will receive offers later and have opportunities for other tuition reduction.

Some discussion in this thread indicates some applicants indicates a lack of understanding of how Northwestern early application process is different from most law schools. But all the information you need is in the material provided by the school. I won't bring up the irony of applying to a top law school and not paying attention to the written details.

Also, the ED process is more than a quantitative analysis of GPA and LSAT. A little web searching will reveal their ideal archetype student.

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Postby JD_Kingfish » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:51 pm

http://admissionsbythenumbers.com/
I'm assuming some (most) have already seen this article about the "ED Boost" for admission. Does anyone know if this is still relevant or even accurate? I'm pretty skeptical. I'm assuming the "boost" would be that applying ED increases your chances of admission through RD after you are held. Any truth to this or general insights?

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:58 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Schotes wrote:There are 20 ED slots, all with the 150K scholarship. All the acceptances were made available 12/15.

These twenty slots are very competitive as these are the only "merit only" scholarships offered by Northwestern. Many people with competitive GPA/LSAT waitlisted from this ED process will receive offers later and have opportunities for other tuition reduction.

Some discussion in this thread indicates some applicants indicates a lack of understanding of how Northwestern early application process is different from most law schools. But all the information you need is in the material provided by the school. I won't bring up the irony of applying to a top law school and not paying attention to the written details.

Also, the ED process is more than a quantitative analysis of GPA and LSAT. A little web searching will reveal their ideal archetype student.

Where did you get the number 20 from?

And I think we are mostly aware about the archetypical student NW attracts; I think it's why a lot of us are in love with the school. We do not doubt that NW takes softs into account during the admissions process. To say otherwise would be foolish. We are also aware of how competitive a 150k scholarship is and the differences between this ED and others. There is some info out there, like kingfish referenced, that says otherwise. Maybe you could speak to that?

It would also be foolish, however, to ignore the seeming dominance of numbers in the admissions process. We are using the data we have to try and make as much meaning as we can out of the results, which most of us are understandably disappointed by. Some of that is seemingly good analysis, some of it is venting, and some of it is used to support each other.

This is a stressful process. These boards are informative sometimes, hivemind-y at others, but they're also used to bolster each other during this stressful time. That involves jokes too.

All of us who are salty or disappointed are only so because we have research this school extensively and have determined it to be our top choice. That's all.

sp5000

New

Postby sp5000 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:51 pm

88234 wrote:
Schotes wrote:There are 20 ED slots, all with the 150K scholarship. All the acceptances were made available 12/15.

And I think we are mostly aware about the archetypical student NW attracts; I think it's why a lot of us are in love with the school. We do not doubt that NW takes softs into account during the admissions process. To say otherwise would be foolish. We are also aware of how competitive a 150k scholarship is and the differences between this ED and others. There is some info out there, like kingfish referenced, that says otherwise. Maybe you could speak to that?

It would also be foolish, however, to ignore the seeming dominance of numbers in the admissions process. We are using the data we have to try and make as much meaning as we can out of the results, which most of us are understandably disappointed by. Some of that is seemingly good analysis, some of it is venting, and some of it is used to support each other.

This is a stressful process. These boards are informative sometimes, hivemind-y at others, but they're also used to bolster each other during this stressful time. That involves jokes too.

All of us who are salty or disappointed are only so because we have research this school extensively and have determined it to be our top choice. That's all.

Well said.

JDrat

Bronze

Postby JDrat » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:24 pm

Held. I'm a reverse splitter international applicant. Wasn't even hoping to be admitted through ED and am just happy they didn't reject me outright. Here's to hoping January brings some good news atleast.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:28 pm

Last edited by RedPurpleBlue on Fri May 12, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawgirl233

New

Postby lawgirl233 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:31 pm

Held as well :(

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:40 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
88234 wrote:

Well said.

Also, I'm a Northwestern undergrad. It's NU, not NW.

I hate you forever for pointing out my mistake.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:50 am

Do you have some sort of insider knowledge that the rest of us do not have? I have never seen something that says 20 people are accepted ED.

I understand what you are saying. It is highly competitive. I don't see anyone here saying differently. I haven't even seen anyone say that they deserve it more than the people that did get in. I do see people trying to parse the numbers (which are 90% of admissions). I do not think that is a bad thing to do.

You are also suggesting that NU makes softs a big part of ED admissions. I definitely believe that NU likes work experience (that is one of the big reasons why I thought I had a great shot). I don't see any sort of proof in the numbers that they make it a large part of decisions though. How much of a boost is WE, a point or two on the LSAT or .1 GPA point? They certainly aren't ignoring their 25,50,75 levels.

TudoBem

Bronze

Postby TudoBem » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:57 am

When we, the RD people, will hear back? :P :P :P :P

notsolawful

Bronze

Postby notsolawful » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:06 am

TudoBem wrote:When we, the RD people, will hear back? :P :P :P :P

Sometime in January

LiNNt

New

Postby LiNNt » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:06 am

MikeyTheOrangeOne wrote:
jamjmont wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:In ED via email! Good luck everybody I'm about to pass out

Same! Congrats! The relief is overwhelming.

Me too! Email was in my spam folder, hah. I was freaking out. Congrats to both of you, I'm so excited!

+1 and really excited. is there any sort of group for c/o 2020 accepted students? nixed most of my social media stuff a while ago. hope others stick with it and have the same luck.

JDrat

Bronze

Postby JDrat » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:03 am

Does Northwestern usually place all the non-ED-admitted candidates' application on hold, or do they also reject at this stage?

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:01 pm

Nayanthika wrote:Does Northwestern usually place all the non-ED-admitted candidates' application on hold, or do they also reject at this stage?

On LSN it looks like last year they only WL one ED application during the initial decisions (and I wouldn't be surprised if that person misunderstood the hold). No rejections came out til early February, when a big wave came out, and only one WL came out before mid-feb. The previous year there were a few rejections, but they shouldn't be too surprising (166/2.9; 163/3.7; 166/3.4) and one WL. After that, same thing: big round of rejections early Feb and WLs shortly thereafter.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:14 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Nayanthika wrote:Does Northwestern usually place all the non-ED-admitted candidates' application on hold, or do they also reject at this stage?

On LSN it looks like last year they only WL one ED application during the initial decisions (and I wouldn't be surprised if that person misunderstood the hold). No rejections came out til early February, when a big wave came out, and only one WL came out before mid-feb. The previous year there were a few rejections, but they shouldn't be too surprising (166/2.9; 163/3.7; 166/3.4) and one WL. After that, same thing: big round of rejections early Feb and WLs shortly thereafter.

I put down Waitlist on LSN, I didn't know how else to signify that I was denied ED. What is the proper way to do it?

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:02 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

I put down Waitlist on LSN, I didn't know how else to signify that I was denied ED. What is the proper way to do it?

imo, definitely not WL. To be clear: you were not WLed. It seems very likely you will be in the first wave of acceptances and receive something like 90k.

There really isn't a "right" way to treat this in your lsn profile, I suppose, but I think just leaving a note that your ED application was held is probably the best option. The only "problem" is for future people searching on mylsn for ed chances, but they count WL->AC as accepted, so there is no way to avoid that problem except to remove the ED from your profile and put that you originally applied ED but were held in your notes (maybe this is the best way?). I've put too much time into this response: whatever you want to do is fine! I just think WL is seriously wrong.

chargers21

Gold

Postby chargers21 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:49 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?