*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. ***

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Guyver

New

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Guyver » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:30 am

jjcorvino wrote:I am freaking out over here. I also wish that they would just tell me if I am in ED or not already! I have submitted my apps to the t14 that I would consider attending, but I haven't done my safety schools yet so that I don't waste money on apps. Starting to get nervous I would miss out on the scholarship money if I don't submit to the safeties soon though.

You need to relax and take the best deal in term of scholarship.
Last edited by Guyver on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:04 am

Guyver wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:I am freaking out over here. I also wish that they would just tell me if I am in ED or not already! I have submitted my apps to the t14 that I would consider attending, but I haven't done my safety schools yet so that I don't waste money on apps. Starting to get nervous I would miss out on the scholarship money if I don't submit to the safeties soon though.

You need to relax and take the best deal in term of scholarship. Remember, many of you will lose your scholarship after your Fall semester or first year of law school because of the grades and the curve applied. There will always be students receiving A - D letter grades. Most importantly, you need a school that you will enjoy being in it and make friends. Law school is a different ball game. You don't need to be in a school with gunners and unfriendly faces.

For Northwestern ED Scholarship you only need to maintain a 2.25 (Good academic standing). Meaning you need to get a majority C/D. There is no minimum percentage for C/D/F students in Northwestern's mandatory curve. At most, they can assign 22% of the class c/d/f (which I doubt they would). Those seem like pretty good odds. I wasn't worried about losing the scholarship, just getting it in the first place.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 am

Guyver wrote:Remember, many of you will lose your scholarship after your Fall semester or first year of law school because of the grades and the curve applied. There will always be students receiving A - D letter grades. Most importantly, you need a school that you will enjoy being in it and make friends.

This seems like a lot of intentional misinformation...

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:28 am

guybourdin wrote:
Guyver wrote:Remember, many of you will lose your scholarship after your Fall semester or first year of law school because of the grades and the curve applied. There will always be students receiving A - D letter grades. Most importantly, you need a school that you will enjoy being in it and make friends.

Yeah, some schools have very conditional scholarships. NU is not one of them.

Guyver

New

Postby Guyver » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:29 am

guybourdin wrote:This seems like a lot of intentional misinformation...

Please let me know how you did in 2017 after completing 1L.

jjcorvino wrote:
Guyver wrote:

You need to relax and take the best deal in term of scholarship. Remember, many of you will lose your scholarship after your Fall semester or first year of law school because of the grades and the curve applied. There will always be students receiving A - D letter grades. Most importantly, you need a school that you will enjoy being in it and make friends. Law school is a different ball game. You don't need to be in a school with gunners and unfriendly faces.

For Northwestern ED Scholarship you only need to maintain a 2.25 (Good academic standing). Meaning you need to get a majority C/D. There is no minimum percentage for C/D/F students in Northwestern's mandatory curve. At most, they can assign 22% of the class c/d/f (which I doubt they would). Those seem like pretty good odds. I wasn't worried about losing the scholarship, just getting it in the first place.

Did you read Northwestern Rules ? A 2.25 is not a (good academic standing). http://www.law.northwestern.edu/law-sch ... 9-2015.pdf

"A student who, at the conclusion of any semester, has a cumulative grade point average at or below 2.5 must first obtain the approval of
the Dean of Students or his/her designate to register for classes."

A+/4.33, A/4.0, A-/3.67, B+/3.33, B/3.0, B-/2.67, C+/2.33, C/2.0, D/1.0, F/0.0
A+/3-7%, A/12-15%, A-/10-15%, B+/15-30%, B/20-35%, B-/10-15%, C+/0-7.5%, C/0-7.5%, D & F/0-7%. Note that compliance includes both the high and low range.

Undergraduate GPA is nothing like Law school GPA.
Last edited by Guyver on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:36 am

jjcorvino wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Yeah, some schools have very conditional scholarships. NU is not one of them.

Not just not NU, though. No t14s, and I'd imagine most t1s don't as well. vandy, texas, wustl, bu, bc, emory, usc, ND, GW, William and Mary - no conditional scholarships. Minnesota and UCLA have conditions but MN has reduced 0 in the last 3 years and UCLA has reduced/eliminated less than half of one percent (2 students in the last 3 years). Alabama the sole outlier that I looked up (reduce/eliminate about a quarter).

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:45 am

Guyver wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

I probably won't. If you actually want to know, please remember to PM me in like 14 months to ask.

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Postby calpolisci2016 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:19 pm

Guyver wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

jjcorvino wrote:
Guyver wrote:

Did you read Northwestern Rules ? A 2.25 is not a (good academic standing). http://www.law.northwestern.edu/law-sch ... 9-2015.pdf

"A student who, at the conclusion of any semester, has a cumulative grade point average at or below 2.5 must first obtain the approval of

A+/3-7%, A/12-15%, A-/10-15%, B+/15-30%, B/20-35%, B-/10-15%, C+/0-7.5%, C/0-7.5%, D & F/0-7%. Note that compliance includes both the high and low range.

Do you think many students get a 2.5 or below? Furthermore, if you get ED scholarship from NU, you are likely in the 75th percentile or above in terms of LSAT and GPA. This means you are unlikely to be a borderline law school student.

jjcorvino

Silver

Postby jjcorvino » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:28 pm

Guyver wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

jjcorvino wrote:
Guyver wrote:

2.25 is the number:

Good Academic Standing/Rules on Academic Disqualification
To maintain good academic standing, a student's grade point average must meet or exceed 2.25. Complete details regarding our policies on maintaining good academic standing and rules on academic disqualification may be found in sections 2.08 and 3.02 of our Rules and Regulations (pdf).

(b) A student who, at the conclusion of his second or subsequent semester has a
cumulative grade point average of below 2.25 after rounding off to the nearest
hundredth of a point shall be advised in writing by the Dean of Students that
his/her record is unsatisfactory and that his/her case will he reviewed by the
Faculty Advisory Committee and that he or she is on academic probation. The
student will be requested to indicate, in writing, by a specified date, a plan for
academic success. The student may request to make a personal appearance before
the committee.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/registr ... ingpolicy/

In addition NU does not have "conditional scholarships". All it requires is to maintain good academic standing, meaning you would have to fail out (or nearly fail out) of school to lose it.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/re ... olarships/

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:31 pm

This argument is pointless unless we are measuring ability to cite NU's Student Handbook. If you don't do well enough that you can't register for classes then scholarship is probably the least of your worries at the moment, and further, it's HIGHLY unlikely any NU Law student gets a GPA low enough to lose their scholarship.

Guyver

New

Postby Guyver » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:51 pm

poptart123 wrote:This argument is pointless unless we are measuring ability to cite NU's Student Handbook. If you don't do well enough that you can't register for classes then scholarship is probably the least of your worries at the moment, and further, it's HIGHLY unlikely any NU Law student gets a GPA low enough to lose their scholarship.

It is not about highly unlikely any NU Law student gets a GPA low enough to lose their scholarship because the scholarship is not conditional but if you're dismissed for not being in good academic standing, then there is no scholarship.
Last edited by Guyver on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Guyver wrote:
poptart123 wrote:This argument is pointless unless we are measuring ability to cite NU's Student Handbook. If you don't do well enough that you can't register for classes then scholarship is probably the least of your worries at the moment, and further, it's HIGHLY unlikely any NU Law student gets a GPA low enough to lose their scholarship.

It is not about highly unlikely any NU Law student gets a GPA low enough to lose their scholarship but some students based on the school's policy must have a C, D, and an F. The distribution of the curve from one law school to another is different though. Still some will have a C, others will have D, and an F.

C/0-7.5%, D & F/0-7%.

When the grades come out, that is when everyone start to realize what law school is all about. Students come in with confidence but once your law school exam grades are posted, and you look at your Fall semester GPA, you're like what went wrong.

The policy you posted allows for as few as 0 students to get a c, d or f, right?

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:27 pm

Guyver wrote:

It is not about highly unlikely any NU Law student gets a GPA low enough to lose their scholarship but some students based on the school's policy must have a C, D, and an F. The distribution of the curve from one law school to another is different though. Still some will have a C, others will have D, and an F.

C/0-7.5%, D & F/0-7%.

When the grades come out, that is when everyone start to realize what law school is all about. Students come in with confidence but once your law school exam grades are posted, and you look at your Fall semester GPA, you're like what went wrong.

I read your post, and again, this argument is pointless. You are correct that theoretically this could happen, but I probably have the same shot at this as I have to clerking on SCOTUS at H'; it's a non-factor.

Guyver

New

Postby Guyver » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:33 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Guyver wrote:

C/0-7.5%, D & F/0-7%.

The policy you posted allows for as few as 0 students to get a c, d or f, right?

No, 0 - 7.5% will have a C. 0 - 7% will have a D and an F. You won't know it until you try it.

You have a class of 40 students, that means 3 will have a C and 3 others will have a D and an F and you're left with 34 students who will get anywhere from an A+ to a C+. You're looking at max 9 students being in the A range and the rest fall in the B range with few getting a C+. Are you going to be one of the 9 students who would get few A in these classes? usually that is not the case. But it is possible.
Last edited by Guyver on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:34 pm

Pointless discussion is pointless.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:36 pm

88234 wrote:Pointless discussion is pointless.

I'm just wondering why that poster decided it was worth bringing up lol

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:37 pm

brinicolec wrote:

Compare his size to another poster.

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:38 pm

poptart123 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Let's all marvel at how smart and great he is then and maybe he will stop.

Guyver

New

Postby Guyver » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:46 pm

88234 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Lurking 4chan is a terrible habit for lawyers. You should stop it.

Bronze

Postby 88234 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:48 pm

Guyver wrote:
88234 wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

Lurking 4chan is a terrible habit for lawyers. You should stop it.

You're so right. Such a smart observation. *clapping intensifies*

onceuopna1l

New

Postby onceuopna1l » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:51 pm

Guyver wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Guyver wrote:

C/0-7.5%, D & F/0-7%.

No, 0 - 7.5% will have a C. 0 - 7% will have a D and an F. You won't know it until you try it.

You have a class of 40 students, that means 3 will have a C and 3 others will have a D and an F and you're left with 34 students who will get anywhere from an A+ to a C+. You're looking at max 9 students being in the A range and the rest fall in the B range with few getting a C+. Are you going to be one of the 9 students who would get few A in these classes? usually that is not the case. But it is possible.

I'm assuming no one is taking him seriously, but in case anyone is. NU Student here. The curve is forced from A+ to B-. Can a professor give out lower than a B- if they want to? Yes. Do they have to? No. I've seen some classes that there ARE C+'s but it's so stupidly rare. The lowest grade a professor HAS to give is a B-.

Guyver

New

Postby Guyver » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:55 pm

onceuopna1l wrote:
Guyver wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Guyver wrote:

C/0-7.5%, D & F/0-7%.

I'm assuming no one is taking him seriously, but in case anyone is. NU Student here. The curve is forced from A+ to B-. Can a professor give out lower than a B- if they want to? Yes. Do they have to? No. I've seen some classes that there ARE C+'s but it's so stupidly rare. The lowest grade a professor HAS to give is a B-.

I've never asked to be taken seriously. However, you NU student didn't have to create an account today to drop a response in this topic. You have a much more important task atm, like studying for your finals.
Last edited by Guyver on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Guyver wrote:
onceuopna1l wrote:
Guyver wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Guyver wrote:

C/0-7.5%, D & F/0-7%.

I've never asked to be taken seriously. However, you NU student didn't have to create an account today to drop a response in this topic. You have a much more important task atm, like studying for your finals.

djbatista wrote:I'm hopeful because of what Guyver said about a small group of admits. I don't know where he gets his info but it seems to be pretty accurate. Last time he said straight admissions offers were done, and then there was a final wave of rejections, holds, and waitlists. Is there anyone here who has still not gotten an initial decision?

If you didn't want to be taken seriously, why did you get (are are still) so defensive?

Guyver

New

Postby Guyver » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:00 pm

poptart123 wrote:
Guyver wrote:
onceuopna1l wrote:
Guyver wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Guyver wrote:

C/0-7.5%, D & F/0-7%.

djbatista wrote:I'm hopeful because of what Guyver said about a small group of admits. I don't know where he gets his info but it seems to be pretty accurate. Last time he said straight admissions offers were done, and then there was a final wave of rejections, holds, and waitlists. Is there anyone here who has still not gotten an initial decision?

If you didn't want to be taken seriously, why did you get (are are still) so defensive?

By your definition there is nothing defensive here, rather clarity. Believe what you want. Good luck.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Can we please stop replying to this guy? Everyone in? Great; thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?