Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Status check: what's your current relationship status with Northwestern?

Long-term relationship (Admitted and planning to attend)
18
19%
Friends with benefits (Admitted but still playing the field and trying to decide)
16
17%
Hit it and quit it (Admitted but withdrew app and going somewhere else)
13
14%
Friendzone (Waitlist hell)
21
22%
Shot down (Ding)
1
1%
Ghosted (Submitted but radio silence)
26
27%
 
Total votes: 95

User avatar
jazzybean
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:45 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby jazzybean » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:40 am

carsondalywashere wrote:
jazzybean wrote:
xandra_v wrote:
jazzybean wrote:Has anyone else who was in the recent admit wave submitted an appeal for "NU Independent" status (ie financially independent from parents)? Wondering how long that process takes...


I did! It was super fast once I sent in the documents. They asked like two questions and then granted it the same day. But I think it helped that I had emailed Admissions with a separate question and mentioned my appeal; they replied and CC'd the financial aid folks, which might have moved everything along...


Ok thanks! That is helpful. I also cc'd someone at admissions because the scholarship application was due already and I wanted them to know that I was still waiting for an appeal response. Anyway - hoping I'll hear back really soon.


Can you speak a little more about this? Should I just email admissions directly and ask to appeal?


You actually email their Chicago Office on Financial Aid to submit an appeal, but I'd recommend cc'ing someone from admissions. More info on the dependency appeal can be found here: http://chicagofinancialaid.northwestern ... tatus.html. Basically if you're not 26, you need to have 30 months of salaried employment.

carsondalywashere
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:45 am

jazzybean wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
jazzybean wrote:
xandra_v wrote:
jazzybean wrote:Has anyone else who was in the recent admit wave submitted an appeal for "NU Independent" status (ie financially independent from parents)? Wondering how long that process takes...


I did! It was super fast once I sent in the documents. They asked like two questions and then granted it the same day. But I think it helped that I had emailed Admissions with a separate question and mentioned my appeal; they replied and CC'd the financial aid folks, which might have moved everything along...


Ok thanks! That is helpful. I also cc'd someone at admissions because the scholarship application was due already and I wanted them to know that I was still waiting for an appeal response. Anyway - hoping I'll hear back really soon.


Can you speak a little more about this? Should I just email admissions directly and ask to appeal?


You actually email their Chicago Office on Financial Aid to submit an appeal, but I'd recommend cc'ing someone from admissions. More info on the dependency appeal can be found here: http://chicagofinancialaid.northwestern ... tatus.html. Basically if you're not 26, you need to have 30 months of salaried employment.


Cool, thanks for the heads up!

xandra_v
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby xandra_v » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:48 am

carsondalywashere wrote:
jazzybean wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
jazzybean wrote:
xandra_v wrote:
jazzybean wrote:Has anyone else who was in the recent admit wave submitted an appeal for "NU Independent" status (ie financially independent from parents)? Wondering how long that process takes...


I did! It was super fast once I sent in the documents. They asked like two questions and then granted it the same day. But I think it helped that I had emailed Admissions with a separate question and mentioned my appeal; they replied and CC'd the financial aid folks, which might have moved everything along...


Ok thanks! That is helpful. I also cc'd someone at admissions because the scholarship application was due already and I wanted them to know that I was still waiting for an appeal response. Anyway - hoping I'll hear back really soon.


Can you speak a little more about this? Should I just email admissions directly and ask to appeal?


You actually email their Chicago Office on Financial Aid to submit an appeal, but I'd recommend cc'ing someone from admissions. More info on the dependency appeal can be found here: http://chicagofinancialaid.northwestern ... tatus.html. Basically if you're not 26, you need to have 30 months of salaried employment.


Cool, thanks for the heads up!


you're a faster typer than me! Haha. Good luck!!

Hi-So - ArshavinFan
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Withdrew. Good luck to everybody!

MadamSecretary
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MadamSecretary » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:39 pm

"Our admissions team is currently in the process of making admissions decisions....which can be concluded during the summer months (on a rolling basis). Basically there is no set time table"

^email response for wait list candidates

ZVBXRPL
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ZVBXRPL » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:56 pm

withdrawing with 1/2 scholly. gluk all

User avatar
SybillAnnDorsett
Posts: 1719
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SybillAnnDorsett » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:38 pm

if you're the person who just called northwestern to curse them out for lack of response, Johann just tweeted about u LOL

xandra_v
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby xandra_v » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:39 pm

SybillAnnDorsett wrote:if you're the person who just called northwestern to curse them out for lack of response, Johann just tweeted about u LOL


that tweet was hysterical. First rule of admissions, don't yell at the desk staff!

User avatar
charles117
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby charles117 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:58 pm

dinged

latetothis
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:38 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby latetothis » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:50 pm

.
Last edited by latetothis on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwillygecko
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gwillygecko » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:23 pm

Applied in Feb. Checked box to do interview. Forgot to schedule interview, and gave up on it.

Flash forward to today..

Got email to check status of app. Logged in for the first time, got sentence to click button for decision.another red flag.

Clicked it, and received a very UNEXPECTED acceptance!!! Go northwestern go northwestern go!!!!

MadamSecretary
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MadamSecretary » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Johann is fed up

User avatar
alpha kenny body
Posts: 4853
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby alpha kenny body » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:57 pm

gwillygecko wrote:Applied in Feb. Checked box to do interview. Forgot to schedule interview, and gave up on it.

Flash forward to today..

Got email to check status of app. Logged in for the first time, got sentence to click button for decision.another red flag.

Clicked it, and received a very UNEXPECTED acceptance!!! Go northwestern go northwestern go!!!!

Are you going here or NYU? Greenwich is tight.

gwillygecko
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gwillygecko » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:43 pm

fips tedora wrote:
gwillygecko wrote:Applied in Feb. Checked box to do interview. Forgot to schedule interview, and gave up on it.

Flash forward to today..

Got email to check status of app. Logged in for the first time, got sentence to click button for decision.another red flag.

Clicked it, and received a very UNEXPECTED acceptance!!! Go northwestern go northwestern go!!!!

Are you going here or NYU? Greenwich is tight.


waiting on fin aid decisions but prefer nyu. also got a close to full scholly at emory so its a consideration because of 1)the price and 2)id be just fine working in atlanta ha.

ckb614
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ckb614 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:06 am

Is it still possible to get money if I just got accepted today? Kinda forgot I still had this app out, but Chicago would be an easier market for my fiancee to find a job than Ann Arbor

User avatar
Watababe
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Watababe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:14 am

ckb614 wrote:Is it still possible to get money if I just got accepted today? Kinda forgot I still had this app out, but Chicago would be an easier market for my fiancee to find a job than Ann Arbor

I was in the 4/18 acceptance wave and got my scholly info last night...35k/year. Probably could have gotten a little more if I'd gone through the effort to be classed as independent, but I didn't want to bother with that because even then I don't think I would have gotten what I needed to make it worthwhile for someone that doesn't want big law. So there's money, but I don't know how much and there's always a chance it will go up later in the summer (I know I've seen a couple people on LSN report that they were given unsolicited increases in like June).

daydreamerxoxo
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby daydreamerxoxo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Watababe wrote:
ckb614 wrote:Is it still possible to get money if I just got accepted today? Kinda forgot I still had this app out, but Chicago would be an easier market for my fiancee to find a job than Ann Arbor

I was in the 4/18 acceptance wave and got my scholly info last night...35k/year. Probably could have gotten a little more if I'd gone through the effort to be classed as independent, but I didn't want to bother with that because even then I don't think I would have gotten what I needed to make it worthwhile for someone that doesn't want big law. So there's money, but I don't know how much and there's always a chance it will go up later in the summer (I know I've seen a couple people on LSN report that they were given unsolicited increases in like June).

Just curious, when did you get your scholarship application submitted?

User avatar
Watababe
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Watababe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:49 pm

daydreamerxoxo wrote:
Watababe wrote:
ckb614 wrote:Is it still possible to get money if I just got accepted today? Kinda forgot I still had this app out, but Chicago would be an easier market for my fiancee to find a job than Ann Arbor

I was in the 4/18 acceptance wave and got my scholly info last night...35k/year. Probably could have gotten a little more if I'd gone through the effort to be classed as independent, but I didn't want to bother with that because even then I don't think I would have gotten what I needed to make it worthwhile for someone that doesn't want big law. So there's money, but I don't know how much and there's always a chance it will go up later in the summer (I know I've seen a couple people on LSN report that they were given unsolicited increases in like June).

Just curious, when did you get your scholarship application submitted?


I submitted mine on the 23rd, with a due date of the 24th.

patttt
Posts: 511
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby patttt » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:02 pm

Just posted this in the WL thread, but did anybody else on the waitlist get the interview invite?

48976
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 48976 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:09 pm

patttt wrote:Just posted this in the WL thread, but did anybody else on the waitlist get the interview invite?


I did! It seemed like a stock email to all WL candidates? But does anyone have any idea what "written essay campaign" they are referring to? Is it timed and part of the skype interview?

janereacher
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:12 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby janereacher » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:19 pm

48976 wrote:
patttt wrote:Just posted this in the WL thread, but did anybody else on the waitlist get the interview invite?


I did! It seemed like a stock email to all WL candidates? But does anyone have any idea what "written essay campaign" they are referring to? Is it timed and part of the skype interview?


I think it is part of the online interview. Cornell uses the same platform for their online interviews and it had a mix of video interview questions and written responses. Northwestern sounds like they are using the same formula.

User avatar
LegallyBlackJD
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LegallyBlackJD » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:31 am

48976 wrote:
patttt wrote:Just posted this in the WL thread, but did anybody else on the waitlist get the interview invite?


I did! It seemed like a stock email to all WL candidates? But does anyone have any idea what "written essay campaign" they are referring to? Is it timed and part of the skype interview?


Was wondering the same thing. Just posted about it in the waitlist thread so hopefully someone knows!

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon May 01, 2017 12:14 am

Has anyone taken the waitlist interview yet? Any inputs on the type of questions would be appreciated

gwillygecko
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby gwillygecko » Wed May 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Pleased to announce I'm going to nwu!!!!!

User avatar
88234
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 88234 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:29 pm

gwillygecko wrote:Pleased to announce I'm going to nwu!!!!!



Off the WL?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Enchanted, Google Adsense [Bot], seanbodonovan and 3 guests