*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. ***

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Thelaw23 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:43 pm

calgoldenbear wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
calgoldenbear wrote:Regular decision applicant here, waiting to hear back from NU. What do I have to do re financial aid while I wait? The only deadline I see is a March 1 deadline for FAFSA and CSS. If I don't hear back from them by March 1, is there anything else I need to do?


If you get in after March 1st then you have two weeks from the date of your acceptance to file everything.


And are the FAFSA and CSS everything? I can't seem to find any other forms, application materials on their financial aid site.


It's the FAFSA, CSS, and then on the admitted students link they have an application you fill out and then have to enter two 300 - 500 word essays.

Chipotle85

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Chipotle85 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:10 pm

No wave this week?

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Chipotle85 wrote:No wave this week?



Right?! NU has taken its time this cycle

xandra_v

Bronze
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby xandra_v » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:44 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Chipotle85 wrote:No wave this week?



Right?! NU has taken its time this cycle


Do we think we'll see a wave today?

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:33 pm

xandra_v wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
Chipotle85 wrote:No wave this week?



Right?! NU has taken its time this cycle


Do we think we'll see a wave today?


I'm not holding my breath lol

User avatar
speedofthought

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby speedofthought » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:10 pm

calgoldenbear wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
calgoldenbear wrote:Regular decision applicant here, waiting to hear back from NU. What do I have to do re financial aid while I wait? The only deadline I see is a March 1 deadline for FAFSA and CSS. If I don't hear back from them by March 1, is there anything else I need to do?


If you get in after March 1st then you have two weeks from the date of your acceptance to file everything.


And are the FAFSA and CSS everything? I can't seem to find any other forms, application materials on their financial aid site.


When you get access to the admitted students' site, you will see a scholarship form there that you need to complete. In addition to a few questions, it contains two short essay prompts (both required):

1) All scholarships are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Apart from your GPA and LSAT score, please assess your position for merit aid. Please also discuss your financial need for aid (e.g., estimated amount of military/VA benefits (if applicable), family circumstances, undergraduate student loan debt, past Pell Grant eligibility). (300-500 words)

2) Please describe in detail how Northwestern Pritzker Law will uniquely help you reach your short-term and long-term career goals. (300-500 words)

calgoldenbear

Bronze
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calgoldenbear » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:50 pm

speedofthought wrote:
calgoldenbear wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
calgoldenbear wrote:Regular decision applicant here, waiting to hear back from NU. What do I have to do re financial aid while I wait? The only deadline I see is a March 1 deadline for FAFSA and CSS. If I don't hear back from them by March 1, is there anything else I need to do?


If you get in after March 1st then you have two weeks from the date of your acceptance to file everything.


And are the FAFSA and CSS everything? I can't seem to find any other forms, application materials on their financial aid site.


When you get access to the admitted students' site, you will see a scholarship form there that you need to complete. In addition to a few questions, it contains two short essay prompts (both required):

1) All scholarships are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Apart from your GPA and LSAT score, please assess your position for merit aid. Please also discuss your financial need for aid (e.g., estimated amount of military/VA benefits (if applicable), family circumstances, undergraduate student loan debt, past Pell Grant eligibility). (300-500 words)

2) Please describe in detail how Northwestern Pritzker Law will uniquely help you reach your short-term and long-term career goals. (300-500 words)


This is very helpful. Thank you!

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:54 pm

How much longer do you guys think NU is gonna take for decisions?! They've been reviewing my app forever! Lol

User avatar
BoyJord

Bronze
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BoyJord » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:21 pm

Checking in late. WL'd Feb 8th. Congrats to everyone who has been admitted; I hope to see some :lol: of you there in the Fall.

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby appind » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:10 pm

resolved
Last edited by appind on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby appind » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:50 pm

anyone notice that for their online intvw questions, 1 minute seems to be an awfully short amount of time to respond? i'm barely able to fit like just 3 sentences in 1 minute.

User avatar
futureellewoods123

Bronze
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby futureellewoods123 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:41 pm

appind wrote:anyone notice that for their online intvw questions, 1 minute seems to be an awfully short amount of time to respond? i'm barely able to fit like just 3 sentences in 1 minute.


Yeah, I felt like I struggled fitting my responses in that time, use the practice questions a bunch! I thought it was somewhat difficult nonetheless

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby appind » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:15 pm

futureellewoods123 wrote:
appind wrote:anyone notice that for their online intvw questions, 1 minute seems to be an awfully short amount of time to respond? i'm barely able to fit like just 3 sentences in 1 minute.


Yeah, I felt like I struggled fitting my responses in that time, use the practice questions a bunch! I thought it was somewhat difficult nonetheless


i am planning to do it later today, but haven't prepped and i feel like the qs need DAYS of prep, if not more.

does NU offer more flexibility in the courses for 2L and 3L than other schools?
it seems everything is elective except 1 course in 2L 3L http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... urriculum/

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby appind » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:01 am

** please don't quote

finished the NU online video interview today. this was my first skype interview so it took me at least a few hours for the setup. it was hard to get an empty clear background in my room so had to move around the table a lot. the height of the laptop and the chair etc along with lighting took a fair amount of adjusting too.

once the interview started, i did feel the impact of some of the issues i thought would occur like fitting the response in 1 min etc. i had to rush and truncate my response to the first q. for the second question when the recording started i was still hunched over looking down on the paper outlining my response for the q, couldn't fit the full last sentence and had a truncated sentence at the 1 min mark. last four questions went quickly but had some similar issues for those ones too. not sure how i feel about it, as i am not sure if they consider it ok or not to be outlining on paper during the prep time of 30 secs before q.
anyone felt similar issues?

describe a time when you brought a group out of negativity or despair
are you an optimist, pessimist, or realist
do you prefer listening or speaking
example of a challenging conversation and how you felt afterwards
example of when you used problem solving to resolve something
why NU

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3431
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby guynourmin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:23 am

appind wrote:** please don't quote


fwiw, if there was shit in the background I doubt they care. my cat was in and out of frame the whole time and I got in!

As for the actual interview, I won't pretend to know what they are considering or looking for when they review them, but they know 1 min isn't a long time and we've hardly prepared for the responses. I know at least 1, maybe 2 of my answers were complete shit but think I did okay or better on 3 and that was enough! Definitely don't need to worry about it now that you're done.

User avatar
futureellewoods123

Bronze
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby futureellewoods123 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:54 am

appind wrote:
futureellewoods123 wrote:
appind wrote:anyone notice that for their online intvw questions, 1 minute seems to be an awfully short amount of time to respond? i'm barely able to fit like just 3 sentences in 1 minute.


Yeah, I felt like I struggled fitting my responses in that time, use the practice questions a bunch! I thought it was somewhat difficult nonetheless


i am planning to do it later today, but haven't prepped and i feel like the qs need DAYS of prep, if not more.

does NU offer more flexibility in the courses for 2L and 3L than other schools?
it seems everything is elective except 1 course in 2L 3L http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... urriculum/


Agree on the interview q's, and on your other response, I had a very similar experience.

User avatar
appind

Gold
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby appind » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:26 pm

guybourdin wrote:
fwiw, if there was shit in the background I doubt they care. my cat was in and out of frame the whole time and I got in!

As for the actual interview, I won't pretend to know what they are considering or looking for when they review them, but they know 1 min isn't a long time and we've hardly prepared for the responses. I know at least 1, maybe 2 of my answers were complete shit but think I did okay or better on 3 and that was enough! Definitely don't need to worry about it now that you're done.


wondering if there some skype interview etiquette, like

how much % of the screen should have the face
how far to sit from the computer
if suit/tie necessary

i wore a suit with no tie.

User avatar
sushibarwxam

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby sushibarwxam » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:31 am

Has anyone else been waiting since November?

Chipotle85

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Chipotle85 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 am

sushibarwxam wrote:Has anyone else been waiting since November?

Heyyyyyyyyyyy

User avatar
sushibarwxam

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby sushibarwxam » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:49 am

Chipotle85 wrote:
sushibarwxam wrote:Has anyone else been waiting since November?

Heyyyyyyyyyyy


Why do they this to us?

Chipotle85

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Chipotle85 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:53 am

sushibarwxam wrote:
Chipotle85 wrote:
sushibarwxam wrote:Has anyone else been waiting since November?

Heyyyyyyyyyyy


Why do they this to us?

Really makes no sense since they've admitted, waitlisted, and rejected a ton of people lol. So why wouldn't we just have been with those waves?

User avatar
Dodocogon

Silver
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dodocogon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:18 am

Chipotle85 wrote:
sushibarwxam wrote:
Chipotle85 wrote:
sushibarwxam wrote:Has anyone else been waiting since November?

Heyyyyyyyyyyy


Why do they this to us?

Really makes no sense since they've admitted, waitlisted, and rejected a ton of people lol. So why wouldn't we just have been with those waves?


I know I have a probable WL coming my way, I'm ready to take it! Complete since mid-November woo

User avatar
notorious_mig

Bronze
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby notorious_mig » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:57 pm

This has probably been answered on this thread but I'm lazy as HECK (excuse my language) and on my phone

Am I correct in understanding that we have to pay to create a financial aid application profile? Or am I just a dumb idiot? (The two aren't mutually exclusive tbh)

2000andBeyond

Silver
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 2000andBeyond » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:01 pm

notorious_mig wrote:This has probably been answered on this thread but I'm lazy as HECK (excuse my language) and on my phone

Am I correct in understanding that we have to pay to create a financial aid application profile? Or am I just a dumb idiot? (The two aren't mutually exclusive tbh)


I paid!

Please don't break my heart and tell me we didn't have to :O

User avatar
notorious_mig

Bronze
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Re: Northwestern c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby notorious_mig » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:27 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:
notorious_mig wrote:This has probably been answered on this thread but I'm lazy as HECK (excuse my language) and on my phone

Am I correct in understanding that we have to pay to create a financial aid application profile? Or am I just a dumb idiot? (The two aren't mutually exclusive tbh)


I paid!

Please don't break my heart and tell me we didn't have to :O


This is v good to know so it sounds like you do have to pay. THANK YOU!



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests