Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

if waitlisted, are you going to stay on it?

yes, until the very end
37
45%
yes, but only until July (or something like that)
17
20%
no
18
22%
idk???
11
13%
 
Total votes: 83

HonestlyThough

Bronze
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby HonestlyThough » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Studybuddy17 wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
Studybuddy17 wrote:To presume I am from a "privileged" background just because of not being a URM only underscores my point


In my experience, only privileged people make the arguments you are making.

Maybe it's time to realize that the extent of your experience is not supreme


everyone is privileged along some planes and not along others. I'm not gonna play oppression olympics and analyze how those tally up, but you should consider exploring your privileges.

seeprybyrun

Bronze
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby seeprybyrun » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:30 pm

pretzeltime wrote:what if I promised yall that 0% of people in this thread are changing their minds, regardless of what you say


I think we need more sprinklings of love and light.

potterotter

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby potterotter » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:31 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

law-school-3458

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby law-school-3458 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:31 pm

whatislife wrote:
law-school-3458 wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:Your initial question was hyperbolic ("have any non-URMs been admitted?", emphasis added) and appears to belie a false assumption that Yale admits a disproportionate number of URMs. As I presented in my earlier post, the data do not support that assumption: the proportion of URMs admitted to YLS appears to track well with the proportion of URMs in the country's population.


This doesn't necessarily establish that the number of URMs admitted is not disproportionate. One might plausibly argue that the relevant population is not the country's population as a whole, but the population of qualified law school applicants. (It's not clear why, for example, a demographic with 25% of the American population should therefore have 25% of the spots at Yale Law School.)


But how would you define "qualified law school applicants"? If the answer is purely/mostly numerical, and there are reasons to think that certain races have an advantage in that regard, shouldn't the ad com consider judging applicants who had to fight through not as favorable situations differently from applicants who didn't?

Maybe. But this seems to involve a whole lot of guesswork. In order to compare a disadvantaged applicant to a less-disadvantaged applicant, we might frame the question in terms of something like: "If not for X, Y, Z disadvantages, how would this applicant have performed?" It seems like numerical "boosts" align with this way of thinking about the question, since they function as a sort of compensation for disadvantages (e.g. less money or time for test prep, so boost your score to represent what you would have got if you had the time/money). But the problem is that there is no real way to answer that question with any sort of precision. We don't really have any way of knowing how the applicant would have performed if not for the disadvantages.

User avatar
pretzeltime

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Image

potterotter

Bronze
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby potterotter » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:33 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seeprybyrun

Bronze
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby seeprybyrun » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:34 pm

law-school-3458 wrote:
whatislife wrote:
law-school-3458 wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:Your initial question was hyperbolic ("have any non-URMs been admitted?", emphasis added) and appears to belie a false assumption that Yale admits a disproportionate number of URMs. As I presented in my earlier post, the data do not support that assumption: the proportion of URMs admitted to YLS appears to track well with the proportion of URMs in the country's population.


This doesn't necessarily establish that the number of URMs admitted is not disproportionate. One might plausibly argue that the relevant population is not the country's population as a whole, but the population of qualified law school applicants. (It's not clear why, for example, a demographic with 25% of the American population should therefore have 25% of the spots at Yale Law School.)


But how would you define "qualified law school applicants"? If the answer is purely/mostly numerical, and there are reasons to think that certain races have an advantage in that regard, shouldn't the ad com consider judging applicants who had to fight through not as favorable situations differently from applicants who didn't?

Maybe. But this seems to involve a whole lot of guesswork. In order to compare a disadvantaged applicant to a less-disadvantaged applicant, we might frame the question in terms of something like: "If not for X, Y, Z disadvantages, how would this applicant have performed?" It seems like numerical "boosts" align with this way of thinking about the question, since they function as a sort of compensation for disadvantages (e.g. less money or time for test prep, so boost your score to represent what you would have got if you had the time/money). But the problem is that there is no real way to answer that question with any sort of precision. We don't really have any way of knowing how the applicant would have performed if not for the disadvantages.


I think that's where Asha's and the faculty's review and best judgment come into play.

whatislife

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby whatislife » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:36 pm

law-school-3458 wrote:
whatislife wrote:But how would you define "qualified law school applicants"? If the answer is purely/mostly numerical, and there are reasons to think that certain races have an advantage in that regard, shouldn't the ad com consider judging applicants who had to fight through not as favorable situations differently from applicants who didn't?

Maybe. But this seems to involve a whole lot of guesswork. In order to compare a disadvantaged applicant to a less-disadvantaged applicant, we might frame the question in terms of something like: "If not for X, Y, Z disadvantages, how would this applicant have performed?" It seems like numerical "boosts" align with this way of thinking about the question, since they function as a sort of compensation for disadvantages (e.g. less money or time for test prep, so boost your score to represent what you would have got if you had the time/money). But the problem is that there is no real way to answer that question with any sort of precision. We don't really have any way of knowing how the applicant would have performed if not for the disadvantages.


I personally don't think it's about calculating how much a given circumstance affected your scores and giving you a boost accordingly. Perhaps for other schools, but for Yale specifically they emphasized that once an applicant is in a certain range it's no longer as much about their numbers, and more about what they would add to the community. From this perspective, disadvantages and how an applicant dealt with them would matter in terms of how it reflects on the applicant's maturity, empathy etc.

seeprybyrun

Bronze
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby seeprybyrun » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:38 pm

whatislife wrote:I personally don't think it's about calculating how much a given circumstance affected your scores and giving you a boost accordingly. Perhaps for other schools, but for Yale specifically they emphasized that once an applicant is in a certain range it's no longer as much about their numbers, and more about what they would add to the community. From this perspective, disadvantages and how an applicant dealt with them would matter in terms of how it reflects on the applicant's maturity, empathy etc.


Exactamundo

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:38 pm

potterotter wrote:Can this ridiculous poorly spelled conversation go on the appropriate URM thread instead of breaking the rules by having it here?

Great. Glad we agree.

Yeah, discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of the URM boost is not allowed in this sub forum (it's only allowed in a dedicated thread in the lounge). Any further discussion of it will merit a ban (and I don't care if it's because you haven't read down to this post yet; the discussion is against TLS rules). Back to other kinds of application angst, please.

User avatar
bartlettadmin

Bronze
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bartlettadmin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Besides the fairly offensive "you only got in because you're an URM" implications of the original comment this whole thing is annoying because it sounds like y'all feel like an URM somehow stole *your* Yale spot. Be a little more entitled guys. Statistically, no ones getting into Yale ok URM or not. So it's not like someone else getting in is somehow at your expense.

banned for continuing URM boost discussion

dyebri

Bronze
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dyebri » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:45 pm

bartlettadmin wrote:Besides the fairly offensive "you only got in because you're an URM" implications of the original comment this whole thing is annoying because it sounds like y'all feel like an URM somehow stole *your* Yale spot. Be a little more entitled guys. Statistically, no ones getting into Yale ok URM or not. So it's not like someone else getting in is somehow at your expense.



The argument is Maybe no one gets into Yale because urms take their spot

banned for continuing URM boost discussion

User avatar
pretzeltime

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:46 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
potterotter wrote:Can this ridiculous poorly spelled conversation go on the appropriate URM thread instead of breaking the rules by having it here?

Great. Glad we agree.

Yeah, discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of the URM boost is not allowed in this sub forum (it's only allowed in a dedicated thread in the lounge). Any further discussion of it will merit a ban (and I don't care if it's because you haven't read down to this post yet; the discussion is against TLS rules). Back to other kinds of application angst, please.


Image

User avatar
KateMcKitten

Bronze
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KateMcKitten » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:55 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
potterotter wrote:Can this ridiculous poorly spelled conversation go on the appropriate URM thread instead of breaking the rules by having it here?

Great. Glad we agree.

Yeah, discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of the URM boost is not allowed in this sub forum (it's only allowed in a dedicated thread in the lounge). Any further discussion of it will merit a ban (and I don't care if it's because you haven't read down to this post yet; the discussion is against TLS rules). Back to other kinds of application angst, please.


Image

My wife Sarah ilysm bby thank you for visiting us plebs and telling us to stfu

User avatar
MrJD2020

Bronze
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby MrJD2020 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:57 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:and to think this thread almost made it through the whole cycle without the good ol URM conversation


yeah I thought the Columbia-interviews-URMs-to-see-if-they-really-are-URMS scandal would have been enough


OK, you can't just make that comment and leave us hanging. EXPLAIN


Yes, I was interviewed by Columbia.

User avatar
dietcoke1

Silver
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:02 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:and to think this thread almost made it through the whole cycle without the good ol URM conversation


yeah I thought the Columbia-interviews-URMs-to-see-if-they-really-are-URMS scandal would have been enough


OK, you can't just make that comment and leave us hanging. EXPLAIN


Yes, I was interviewed by Columbia.


unsubstantiated claims that Columbia interviewed people to make sure they weren't lying about being URMs.

[+] Spoiler
fake news

User avatar
Smc1994

Silver
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Well, now that we've reached a consensus on this topic, can we go back to baseless speculation about WLs?

User avatar
AndromedaGalaxy

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:21 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:08 pm

In application angst news, the trickle of acceptances did in fact resume several hours after YLS admissions would have gotten the last notices of declined acceptances from people accepting the Rubenstein at Chicago instead. A coincidence, or was my theory a promising lead in unraveling the whole underlying logic of how it works in there? Did I solve it?

Maybe I won't get in to Yale but Asha will hire me into their admissions office anyway. I'm full of schemes. For instance, the admissions office can make all final decisions based on faculty review scores, but still exert enormous control over the final median and quartile values by setting up distinct batches of applications for faculty review and packing numerically-similar applicants into batches like voters into districts.

User avatar
Smc1994

Silver
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:10 pm

AndromedaGalaxy wrote:In application angst news, the trickle of acceptances did in fact resume several hours after YLS admissions would have gotten the last notices of declined acceptances from people accepting the Rubenstein at Chicago instead. A coincidence, or was my theory a promising lead in unraveling the whole underlying logic of how it works in there? Did I solve it?

Maybe I won't get in to Yale but Asha will hire me into their admissions office anyway. I'm full of schemes. For instance, the admissions office can make all final decisions based on faculty review scores, but still exert enormous control over the final median and quartile values by setting up distinct batches of applications for faculty review and packing numerically-similar applicants into batches like voters into districts.


Sorry, but Asha's time in the FBI set a very high standard for YLS secrecy. She's going to have to kill you now.

User avatar
AndromedaGalaxy

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:21 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:In application angst news, the trickle of acceptances did in fact resume several hours after YLS admissions would have gotten the last notices of declined acceptances from people accepting the Rubenstein at Chicago instead. A coincidence, or was my theory a promising lead in unraveling the whole underlying logic of how it works in there? Did I solve it?

Maybe I won't get in to Yale but Asha will hire me into their admissions office anyway. I'm full of schemes. For instance, the admissions office can make all final decisions based on faculty review scores, but still exert enormous control over the final median and quartile values by setting up distinct batches of applications for faculty review and packing numerically-similar applicants into batches like voters into districts.


Sorry, but Asha's time in the FBI set a very high standard for YLS secrecy. She's going to have to kill you now.


I'll try to hide, but she can see the schemes behind my eyes.

User avatar
Smc1994

Silver
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:14 pm

AndromedaGalaxy wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:In application angst news, the trickle of acceptances did in fact resume several hours after YLS admissions would have gotten the last notices of declined acceptances from people accepting the Rubenstein at Chicago instead. A coincidence, or was my theory a promising lead in unraveling the whole underlying logic of how it works in there? Did I solve it?

Maybe I won't get in to Yale but Asha will hire me into their admissions office anyway. I'm full of schemes. For instance, the admissions office can make all final decisions based on faculty review scores, but still exert enormous control over the final median and quartile values by setting up distinct batches of applications for faculty review and packing numerically-similar applicants into batches like voters into districts.


Sorry, but Asha's time in the FBI set a very high standard for YLS secrecy. She's going to have to kill you now.


I'll try to hide, but she can see the schemes behind my eyes.


Oh please, even I can find you. Image

User avatar
AndromedaGalaxy

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:21 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
Oh please, even I can find you.


Light pollution is my last refuge...

User avatar
Smc1994

Silver
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Smc1994 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:19 pm

AndromedaGalaxy wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
Oh please, even I can find you.


Light pollution is my last refuge...


It may help to switch to more protective headgear. Image

User avatar
AndromedaGalaxy

New
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:21 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:14 pm

Smc1994 wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:
Smc1994 wrote:
Oh please, even I can find you.


Light pollution is my last refuge...


It may help to switch to more protective headgear.


No tinfoil hat can shield me from the waitlist or rejection that is coming, if Asha is merciful, later this evening.

User avatar
ayylmao

Silver
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ayylmao » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 am

Kind of ridiculous that some of us haven't heard yet.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests