Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

if waitlisted, are you going to stay on it?

yes, until the very end
45%
yes, but only until July (or something like that)
20%
no
22%
idk???
13%

Total votes: 83

lilitiger99

Bronze

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lilitiger99 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Rdominicana15 wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
Rdominicana15 wrote:Application went under review 1/4/17 --> Still havent heard anything...

Cycle has been messy:

in at Columbia, Berkeley and others
Waitlisted at Michigan, Chicago, Harvard
Rejected: UPenn, Stanford, and Georgetown

Few more days to go I guess.

Are you URM? I am, and everyone I've spoken to highlights the unpredictability of URM cycles - shared rejection from penn too. Related, one of my URM friends is at Yale with low 16x LSAT, and was rejected from half of the t13.

I am a URM. And I hadn't heard of it being this unpredictable. Granted I haven't heard back from NYU either. My numbers are on the lows like low 16x LSAT. 3.79 GPA

URM cycles are more unpredictable (I think) because softs are more significant because the applicant pools are smaller, numbers are often less strong, etc. I spoke to a pre law advisor at one of those LSAC forums who used to work for a t6, and basically she was like certain URM's are "diverse enough" for schools with a lower yield for minorities (cornell, Michigan, Chicago) but might not be for the schools on the coast that heavily attract minority students. Like for example a school like Chicago in theory might take a Hispanic applicant that doesn't speak Spanish, but NYU/Columbia/Texas/Cali schools would prefer a URM that speaks the language and has more pronounced roots to their heritage because they have more yield from URMs overall. I've heard that UVA and Penn are most difficult for URMs to get into because there's less of a boost, but not sure how true that is.

mathaddict

New

Postby mathaddict » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:26 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
mathaddict wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
OneHandedEconomist wrote:
I wonder how drastically their app pool changed mid-November.

I wondered about that too and hoped my app didn't come off as reactionary given that I was involved in the campaign and basically wrote my PS about privilege. to be fair, I lsated in sept so hopefully it's obvious i was already planning to go

I had a funny convo with my Columbia interviewer. She asked me what my career plans were, and I mentioned the possibility of working in a government job. She responded, "Well, that's if there are any of those left when you graduate, but I guess we might have someone else in office by then."

Yeah, I love that politics are no longer a no-go cause all of these schools kinda assume where you fall/are unapologetic about where they fall. I've talked to a lot of interviewers/admissions people about it. no one feigns neutrality at all

Personally I'm not a fan of that at all. It's super unprofessional IMO.

Honestly, not really IMO. A ton of lawyers will be in politics. Half of yales faculty seems to be fighting trump

Being involved in politics is one thing. I think it's great that these professors are involved in politics. Assuming that everyone else falls where you do is another altogether, especially in an interview. We deem a certain level of feigned neutrality polite and I wish we could return to that feigned neutrality.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Postby HonestlyThough » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:31 pm

mathaddict wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
mathaddict wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:

I wondered about that too and hoped my app didn't come off as reactionary given that I was involved in the campaign and basically wrote my PS about privilege. to be fair, I lsated in sept so hopefully it's obvious i was already planning to go

I had a funny convo with my Columbia interviewer. She asked me what my career plans were, and I mentioned the possibility of working in a government job. She responded, "Well, that's if there are any of those left when you graduate, but I guess we might have someone else in office by then."

Yeah, I love that politics are no longer a no-go cause all of these schools kinda assume where you fall/are unapologetic about where they fall. I've talked to a lot of interviewers/admissions people about it. no one feigns neutrality at all

Honestly, not really IMO. A ton of lawyers will be in politics. Half of yales faculty seems to be fighting trump

Being involved in politics is one thing. I think it's great that these professors are involved in politics. Assuming that everyone else falls where you do is another altogether, especially in an interview. We deem a certain level of feigned neutrality polite and I wish we could return to that feigned neutrality.

tbh, i think a lot of these schools probably wouldn't want you if you were a trump supporter, and that's what makes this political time different and that's why they feel comfy breaching neutrality

Whittie

Bronze

Postby Whittie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 pm

mathaddict wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
mathaddict wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:

My Columbia interviewer had an Obama "HOPE" poster behind him. If I had been a conservative that would have definitely created a "chilling" effect in what I felt comfortable saying. Considering the discretion in admissions, it seems obvious that a staunch conservative would be looked on unfavorably by someone passionate enough about their beliefs to have an Obama poster in-frame when conducting an interview with a total stranger.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:51 pm

I'm gonna join the Federalist Society because I hear they throw ragers.

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:54 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:54 pm

potterotter wrote:
OneHandedEconomist wrote:I'm gonna join the Federalist Society because I hear they throw ragers.

Aren't you a prolific libertarian?

Naaa, I think you're thinking of Rand.

Pozzo

Gold

Postby Pozzo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:55 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:I'm gonna join the Federalist Society because I hear they throw ragers.

This is news to me, but I'm on board.

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:55 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:57 pm

potterotter wrote:
potterotter wrote:

Aren't you a prolific libertarian?

Naaa, I think you're thinking of Rand.

Naaa definitely thinking of you :wink:

lol I'm a hardcore liberal. Tho I suppose you could classify me as a neocon when it comes to foreign policy.

Whittie

Bronze

Postby Whittie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Pozzo wrote:

Could definitely see some strains of libertarianism mapping nicely onto bacchanalian living.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Pozzo wrote:

Not to mention a chance of getting on the SCOTUS one day?

Whittie

Bronze

Postby Whittie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:04 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
Pozzo wrote:

I wonder if this is actually a thing. Does the conservative majority on the court mean students with obvious conservative credentials are more likely to get a look from a Justice?

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Whittie wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
Pozzo wrote:

I wonder if this is actually a thing. Does the conservative majority on the court mean students with obvious conservative credentials are more likely to get a look from a Justice?

I mean, if there's a Republican president and Senate, yeah.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Whittie wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
Pozzo wrote:

I mean, Scalia, Thomas, Alito, and now Gorsuch are/were all members.

Rdominicana15

New

Postby Rdominicana15 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:49 pm

mathaddict wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
mathaddict wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:

Being involved in politics is one thing. I think it's great that these professors are involved in politics. Assuming that everyone else falls where you do is another altogether, especially in an interview. We deem a certain level of feigned neutrality polite and I wish we could return to that feigned neutrality.[/quote]

Totally Jeb Butler

notsonotorious

Bronze

Postby notsonotorious » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:59 am

HonestlyThough wrote:

My app was explicitly reactionary and I owned it. Sometimes life happens and you make decisions.

maysecheryn

New

Postby maysecheryn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:00 am

Has anyone posted a denial this week, here or on LSN?

notsonotorious

Bronze

Postby notsonotorious » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:04 am

maysecheryn wrote:Has anyone posted a denial this week, here or on LSN?

i believe we haven't heard anything new either way since saturday

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:10 am

notsonotorious wrote:

Seems like a mighty big waitlist wave is on the horizon...

maysecheryn

New

Postby maysecheryn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:24 am

notsonotorious wrote:

That's what I thought. I know it's Yale, but denials are easy to send out. And at this point they are aware they are stepping all over travel plans for ASW/ASP at other schools. I can't within reason imagine why they would hold someone into this week they weren't considering admitting. I know, it's Yale. But still.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:30 am

maysecheryn wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:

That's what I thought. I know it's Yale, but denials are easy to send out. And at this point they are aware they are stepping all over travel plans for ASW/ASP at other schools. I can't within reason imagine why they would hold someone into this week they weren't considering admitting. I know, it's Yale. But still.

Yeah, probably 10-20 acceptances and 90-100 waitlists by the end of Saturday.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Postby HonestlyThough » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:37 am

notsonotorious wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:

My app was explicitly reactionary and I owned it. Sometimes life happens and you make decisions.

And I'll bet that you owned, owning it! :P
In my personal case, I worry some parts of my app could have come off as disingenuous if the reader were convinced that I just decided to apply to law school

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Postby HonestlyThough » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:38 am

maysecheryn wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:

Sounds about right. It blows me away every time I'm reminded of how few people they accept

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:41 am

HonestlyThough wrote:
maysecheryn wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:

Sounds about right. It blows me away every time I'm reminded of how few people they accept

I wonder how many people instantly respond "No thanks" when they get the waitlist.

I ain't nobody's side piece.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?