Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

if waitlisted, are you going to stay on it?

yes, until the very end
45%
yes, but only until July (or something like that)
20%
no
22%
idk???
13%

Total votes: 83

guppiesbaby

New

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby guppiesbaby » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:55 am

^^interesting theory. Isn't it only the Ruby that has a 4/15 deadline, and most others are 5/1 like normal? I guess Ruby would be the primary contender against Yale, so the theory might kinda hold

In general, seems like at this stage they're waiting for various things like this to shake out

notsonotorious

Bronze

Postby notsonotorious » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:56 am

AndromedaGalaxy wrote:Some baseless speculation:

Yale knows exactly when scholarship deadlines at certain other schools occur because they get emails from people frantic to get answers before the deadline. They could easily treat the pool of remaining applicants as an effective waitlist and decide after for instance Chicago's scholarship deadline tomorrow how many additional acceptances to make once they see how many of their current admits defect for full rides elsewhere.

On our end we might see a handful of acceptances after a major scholarship deadline (or none if only a few people chose the money,) then the rest of us could be divvied up among waitlists and rejections.

I'm starting to think that faculty review is likely complete or nearly complete, so the dynamics of Yale's decision timing would from now on be driven largely by other schools' scholarship and commitment dates.

This theory doesn't make sense and here's why: Asha has been vehement about the fact that people should feel free to accept whatever spots and scholarships they have deadlines for. Per LSAC rules, schools can't require you to withdraw applications you haven't heard back on when you're making a deposit. She is comfortable with the fact that a bunch of people who get into Yale will be giving up scholarships elsewhere to go there, and ultimately doesn't care what those other schools think about it. So if you're rational and know about these things, accepting a full scholarship at Columbia won't make anyone withdraw their Yale application (unless, of course, they decide that they don't want to pay sticker at Yale, which is always possible, but like why give up the free option to find out if you got into Yale so you can brag about it for the rest of your life?). But that has nothing to do with the deadline and more to do with people's preferences.

edit: If you're talking about people already accepted at Yale then yes, I guess that makes sense :)
Last edited by notsonotorious on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbp1993

New

Postby bbp1993 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:59 am

notsonotorious wrote:

Yale knows exactly when scholarship deadlines at certain other schools occur because they get emails from people frantic to get answers before the deadline. They could easily treat the pool of remaining applicants as an effective waitlist and decide after for instance Chicago's scholarship deadline tomorrow how many additional acceptances to make once they see how many of their current admits defect for full rides elsewhere.

On our end we might see a handful of acceptances after a major scholarship deadline (or none if only a few people chose the money,) then the rest of us could be divvied up among waitlists and rejections.

I'm starting to think that faculty review is likely complete or nearly complete, so the dynamics of Yale's decision timing would from now on be driven largely by other schools' scholarship and commitment dates.

This theory doesn't make sense and here's why: Asha has been vehement about the fact that people should feel free to accept whatever spots and scholarships they have deadlines for. Per LSAC rules, schools can't require you to withdraw applications you haven't heard back on when you're making a deposit. She is comfortable with the fact that a bunch of people who get into Yale will be giving up scholarships elsewhere to go there, and ultimately doesn't care what those other schools think about it. So if you're rational and know about these things, accepting a full scholarship at Columbia won't make anyone withdraw their Yale application (unless, of course, they decide that they don't want to pay sticker at Yale, which is always possible, but like why give up the free option to find out if you got into Yale so you can brag about it for the rest of your life?). But that has nothing to do with the deadline and more to do with people's preferences.

No - it does make sense. Again, Asha is referring to a situation in which you have not yet heard back from Yale. If someone has already been admitted once they make a decision to accept a scholarship somewhere else they have to decline ACCEPTANCES at other institutions.

Edit: Which would open up spaces for more admits at Yale.

AndromedaGalaxy

New

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 pm

guppiesbaby wrote:^^interesting theory. Isn't it only the Ruby that has a 4/15 deadline, and most others are 5/1 like normal? I guess Ruby would be the primary contender against Yale, so the theory might kinda hold

In general, seems like at this stage they're waiting for various things like this to shake out

Thanks. I saw a 4/12 deadline for a named scholarship at Chicago. I'd also be curious when the people with Hamiltons need to decide, because I suspect that would be the other main reason for declining acceptance at Yale.

notsonotorious

Bronze

Postby notsonotorious » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 pm

bbp1993 wrote:
notsonotorious wrote:

No - it does make sense. Again, Asha is referring to a situation in which you have not yet heard back from Yale. If someone has already been admitted once they make a decision to accept a scholarship somewhere else they have to decline ACCEPTANCES at other institutions.

Edit: Which would open up spaces for more admits at Yale.

True, yes, I'm an idiot. Solid theory.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:02 pm

This would explain why they said they plan to have acceptances out by the 15th

notsonotorious

Bronze

Postby notsonotorious » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:02 pm

AndromedaGalaxy wrote:
guppiesbaby wrote:^^interesting theory. Isn't it only the Ruby that has a 4/15 deadline, and most others are 5/1 like normal? I guess Ruby would be the primary contender against Yale, so the theory might kinda hold

Thanks. I saw a 4/12 deadline for a named scholarship at Chicago. I'd also be curious when the people with Hamiltons need to decide, because I suspect that would be the other main reason for declining acceptance at Yale.

FWIW for my scholarship at NYU they gave me a "random" deadline to respond which was the day after the Yale ASD. So the universe of deadlines to consider is probably greater than we know about.....

defunct

New

Postby defunct » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:06 pm

AndromedaGalaxy wrote:

As I understand, the Hamilton deadline is the same as the Columbia/Yale deadline in general (May). So no help there.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:08 pm

defunct wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:

As I understand, the Hamilton deadline is the same as the Columbia/Yale deadline in general (May). So no help there.

We're probs reading the tea leaves too heavily and they're just chugging along at their own pace.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Probably matters less in their calculus, but 4/21 is the deadline for the Vandy at NYU.

AndromedaGalaxy

New

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:14 pm

defunct wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:

In that case the Hamilton defections would generally affect people getting in off the official waitlist. Ruby deadline would probably correspond with the largest cluster of declined Yale admissions before May.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:15 pm

AndromedaGalaxy wrote:
defunct wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:

In that case the Hamilton defections would generally affect people getting in off the official waitlist. Ruby deadline would probably correspond with the largest cluster of declined Yale admissions before May.

In this case, wouldn't we see a trickle of admissions rather than a wave? I imagine that Ruby peeps aren't waiting until the deadline to withdraw, but doing so at their own pace.

AndromedaGalaxy

New

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:17 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:
defunct wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:

In this case, wouldn't we see a trickle of admissions rather than a wave? I imagine that Ruby peeps aren't waiting until the deadline to withdraw, but doing so at their own pace.

Possibly, but if it's a small enough trickle Asha may not even need to admit anyone else outright. Yale assumes high yield, not 100%. She might want to wait for the deadline to resolve to determine whether there's even a shortfall of admits at all.

NotPanicking

New

Postby NotPanicking » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:19 pm

UMM WAIT, so if I haven't heard back from Yale yet, I can accept the Ruby tomorrow and then potentially benefit from Yale ADMITS defecting by accepting the Ruby themselves? And I could be offered one of their spots or wait listed, after? Am I reading this right?

AndromedaGalaxy

New

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:21 pm

NotPanicking wrote:UMM WAIT, so if I haven't heard back from Yale yet, I can accept the Ruby tomorrow and then potentially benefit from Yale ADMITS defecting by accepting the Ruby themselves? And I could be offered one of their spots or wait listed, after? Am I reading this right?

I hadn't thought about it that way, but yes.

https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admi ... hool-scams

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:22 pm

NotPanicking wrote:UMM WAIT, so if I haven't heard back from Yale yet, I can accept the Ruby tomorrow and then potentially benefit from Yale ADMITS defecting by accepting the Ruby themselves? And I could be offered one of their spots or wait listed, after? Am I reading this right?

Yeah just accept the Ruby. Tbh, take the Ruby no matter what happens at Yale.

NotPanicking

New

Postby NotPanicking » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:22 pm

AndromedaGalaxy wrote:
defunct wrote:
AndromedaGalaxy wrote:

All the people I spoke to who took the Ruby agonized over the decision. I'd speculate that there are more folks who are waiting last minute to make this super difficult choice, than not.

NotPanicking

New

Postby NotPanicking » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:23 pm

But....Harvard... :/

AndromedaGalaxy

New

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:28 pm

NotPanicking wrote:

Haha. I turned down my Chicago scholarship because I didn't want to give up my spot at Harvard. Still, if the Ruby is a realistic option for you, if you'd take it over Harvard, you're actually in a pretty great position where you can keep the scholarship and your active Yale application. Though maybe just kicking the decision-making agony down the line by a few weeks...

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:28 pm

NotPanicking wrote:

I'm curious, how many H/Y grads have to deal with crippling debt for long? Seems like the star power of going there would offset the additional debt you take on (versus a full ride at CCN), not to mention the LRAP programs.

NotPanicking

New

Postby NotPanicking » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:30 pm

The Ruby deadline is tomorrow, the 12th.

Whittie

Bronze

Postby Whittie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:31 pm

NotPanicking wrote:

+180 on this struggle. Good problems to have, but a difficulty decision nonetheless.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:31 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:

I'm curious, how many H/Y grads have to deal with crippling debt for long? Seems like the star power of going there would offset the additional debt you take on (versus a full ride at CCN), not to mention the LRAP programs.

Eh, I turned down my H acceptance once I had a few t13 full rides. Maybe it's just because I'm poor, but I can't justify the cost, especially given how similar their employment figures are.

Now, Yale's 50%+ clerking stats start to change that equation...

defunct

New

Postby defunct » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:35 pm

NotPanicking wrote:

Ruby vs Yale sounds like an internal debate that might be worth having, depending on a lot of factors. But personally, even with decent aid at Harvard, I'd accept the Ruby and wait to agonize about Yale if it's in the cards. People seem to forget that the Ruby is 50k more valuable than a Hamilton, even. It's just an amazing opportunity. I'm sure you've thought about this more than most of us already though, and Harvard is Harvard for whatever that's worth.

NotPanicking

New

Postby NotPanicking » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:36 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:

Umm, it depends on the package you get. I'd leave Harvard with $200k, but the one other HLS student I spoke with only had $100k. If you go into litigation, you could pay that off in 2-3 years, easy. Mine would take closer to 5, 6 if I don't want to eat ramen the first year out (roughly). And that relies on me STAYING in litigation. Harvard's LIPP is legendary, but no matter how amazing it is, isn't NOT HAVING DEBT still, well, better?

Employment opportunities are pretty comparable for Harvard and Chicago, idk about Yale. Especially since Chicago churns out a higher-than-expected number of academics.

It's a mess and I hate it and I can't wait to be done (read: resigned to the Ruby, I guess, since that's the responsible thing to do, no matter how much I like Harvard).
Last edited by NotPanicking on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?