Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

if waitlisted, are you going to stay on it?

yes, until the very end
45%
yes, but only until July (or something like that)
20%
no
22%
idk???
13%

Total votes: 83

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby seeprybyrun » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:49 am

NotPanicking wrote:
Anyone else on here a January complete? :/ Are they just holding onto my application for shits and giggles? Or might I actually have a chance at a wait list, while my deadline for the Rubenstein expires? I'm too scared to accept or withdraw anywhere. :( :( :(

If you have a scholarship deadline coming up, they recommend you email admissions to let them know.

Gabriel_is_Satan

Bronze

Postby Gabriel_is_Satan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:50 am

NotPanicking wrote:
Anyone else on here a January complete? :/ Are they just holding onto my application for shits and giggles? Or might I actually have a chance at a wait list, while my deadline for the Rubenstein expires? I'm too scared to accept or withdraw anywhere. :( :( :(

Based on the fact you got a Ruby, you should have a shot at Y.

Is it wrong to accept the Ruby, and then withdraw if you get a Yale offer (assuming you'd want to do that)?

bbp1993

New

Postby bbp1993 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:57 am

JUST GIVE ME MY DING ALREADY. JESUS. WHY ARE THEY WAITING[/quote]

Anyone else on here a January complete? :/ Are they just holding onto my application for shits and giggles? Or might I actually have a chance at a wait list, while my deadline for the Rubenstein expires? I'm too scared to accept or withdraw anywhere. :( :( :([/quote]

January Complete here! Riding the WL at Harvard so not sure why Yale won't just get it over with and reject me already

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:58 am

ACCEPTED!!!

Gorsuch got accepted to SCOTUS! Good for him!

Meanwhile I've yet to hear from Yale.

mathaddict

New

Postby mathaddict » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:59 am

OneHandedEconomist wrote:ACCEPTED!!!

Boo you whore

NotPanicking

New

Postby NotPanicking » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:

Is it wrong to accept the Ruby, and then withdraw if you get a Yale offer (assuming you'd want to do that)?

Actually, I think it says on their website that if I accept anywhere, I'm automatically pulled/out of the running with them? I emailed Yale Monday about the deadline, yet here we are, four days and waves of acceptances and rejections later.

I thought I had a shot at Stanford, too, (Dec complete), and if that's any indicator, they're just waiting until the last minute to say ".....nah." -___-
Last edited by NotPanicking on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:03 pm

NotPanicking wrote:
Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:

Actually, I think it says on their website that if I accept anywhere, I'm automatically pulled/out of the running with them? I emailed them Monday about the deadline, yet here we are, four days and waves of acceptances and rejections later.

I thought I had a shot at Stanford, too, (Dec complete), and if that's any indicator, they're just waiting until the last minute to say ".....nah." -___-

But you can accept the Ruby and then withdraw if you end up getting an offer to go to H/Y/S.

NotPanicking

New

Postby NotPanicking » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:04 pm

bbp1993 wrote:JUST GIVE ME MY DING ALREADY. JESUS. WHY ARE THEY WAITING

Anyone else on here a January complete? :/ Are they just holding onto my application for shits and giggles? Or might I actually have a chance at a wait list, while my deadline for the Rubenstein expires? I'm too scared to accept or withdraw anywhere. :( :( :([/quote]

January Complete here! Riding the WL at Harvard so not sure why Yale won't just get it over with and reject me already[/quote]

Ugh, my sympathies. Surely they'd know by now if they want us or not. Good luck on the WL! :)

guppiesbaby

New

Postby guppiesbaby » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:05 pm

NotPanicking wrote:
Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:

Actually, I think it says on their website that if I accept anywhere, I'm automatically pulled/out of the running with them? I emailed them Monday about the deadline, yet here we are, four days and waves of acceptances and rejections later.

https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admi ... hool-scams

ayylmao

Silver

Postby ayylmao » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:05 pm

I hope they send you an acceptance email in error.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:06 pm

ayylmao wrote:

I hope they send you an acceptance email in error.

....too real.

ayylmao

Silver

Postby ayylmao » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:09 pm

guppiesbaby wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:
Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:

Damn Asha, GET IT. She threw DOWN there.

NotPanicking

New

Postby NotPanicking » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:10 pm

guppiesbaby wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:
Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
NotPanicking wrote:

Oh whoa, this is amazing, thank you!!!!!

Gabriel_is_Satan

Bronze

Postby Gabriel_is_Satan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:10 pm

What Dean Asha seems to be saying is: accept the Ruby (or whatever), then withdraw if Yale (or H or S) makes you an offer afterwards that you prefer.

So no need to email YLS' admissions office about your upcoming deadlines, she doesn't seem to keen on that (she's never keen on emails, it seems :-) )

NotPanicking

New

Postby NotPanicking » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:

What Dean Asha seems to be saying is: accept the Ruby (or whatever), then withdraw if Yale (or H or S) makes you an offer afterwards that you prefer.

So no need to email YLS' admissions office, she doesn't seem to keen on that (she never does :-) )

Welp. I definitely did, sigh. Although their website does indicate that I *should?*

"If you are faced with a deposit or scholarship deadline at another school, please e-mail us with your name, LSAC Account Number, telephone number, the name of the school, type of deadline, and deadline date."

https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admissions/first-year-applicants/review-and-notification

Gabriel_is_Satan

Bronze

Postby Gabriel_is_Satan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:24 pm

NotPanicking wrote:
Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:

So no need to email YLS' admissions office, she doesn't seem to keen on that (she never does :-) )

Welp. I definitely did, sigh. Although their website does indicate that I *should?*

"If you are faced with a deposit or scholarship deadline at another school, please e-mail us with your name, LSAC Account Number, telephone number, the name of the school, type of deadline, and deadline date."

https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admissions/first-year-applicants/review-and-notification

Oh, well, there's no harm it that, I suppose, they're literally asking for it :-)

I wouldn't sweat it, I don't think they'll reject because of an email.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Postby HonestlyThough » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:26 pm

My problem is that, assuming S and Y keep ghosting me, I'm probably between nyu and h. I'm also worried I might hate both. So, of course, I'm going to both admit weekends.

The problem is they are after my scholarship deadlines everywhere else. Because I was a late applicant, I haven't had time to visit other places. Heard from duke about money last week during spring break and the deadline is Monday for scholarship decisions. Maybe I'd want to go. Can't know until I do all these darn visits.

Has anyone successfully negotiated an extension on scholarship deadlines in order to have time to visit the school?

notsonotorious

Bronze

Postby notsonotorious » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:38 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:My problem is that, assuming S and Y keep ghosting me, I'm probably between nyu and h. I'm also worried I might hate both. So, of course, I'm going to both admit weekends.

The problem is they are after my scholarship deadlines everywhere else. Because I was a late applicant, I haven't had time to visit other places. Heard from duke about money last week during spring break and the deadline is Monday for scholarship decisions. Maybe I'd want to go. Can't know until I do all these darn visits.

Has anyone successfully negotiated an extension on scholarship deadlines in order to have time to visit the school?

I've heard of people doing this successfully but I haven't tried (haven't had to yet).

I can't speak to H, but I really don't think you'll hate NYU. Just be sure to stick around for Bryan Stevenson's talk, if they have him do one. He's amazing.

Do you know what kind of law you wanna do?

AndromedaGalaxy

New

Postby AndromedaGalaxy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:39 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:My problem is that, assuming S and Y keep ghosting me, I'm probably between nyu and h. I'm also worried I might hate both. So, of course, I'm going to both admit weekends.

I'd just schedule a visit on a regular day to each of them. The admit weekends are the in-person equivalent of the book of glossy photos you get with your acceptance letter. You can sit in on classes and talk to current students to get a pretty good feel for the schools without sitting through the admissions office's sales pitch.

notsonotorious

Bronze

Postby notsonotorious » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:42 pm

AndromedaGalaxy wrote:

I'd just schedule a visit on a regular day to each of them. The admit weekends are the in-person equivalent of the book of glossy photos you get with your acceptance letter. You can sit in on classes and talk to current students to get a pretty good feel for the schools without sitting through the admissions office's sales pitch.

The problem is Harvard doesn't do visits. The most they let you do is walk around the campus (I looked into this because I'm on the WL and wanted to have some basis for making a decision in the unlikely event they offer me a spot...alas, no luck)

NotPanicking

New

Postby NotPanicking » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:45 pm

My letter explicitly stated they wouldn't grant extensions for any reason, but they were also careful to schedule Admit Weekend prior to the deadline. I think it's a reasonable request, on your part? Also, idk about Duke's JD program, but Durham is amazing. And the Duke Forest is stunning.

I sympathize with the worry. I have a very strong suspicion I'm not going to like Chicago, but welp, that's where the money is.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Postby HonestlyThough » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:52 pm

NotPanicking wrote:

My letter explicitly stated they wouldn't grant extensions for any reason, but they were also careful to schedule Admit Weekend prior to the deadline. I think it's a reasonable request, on your part? Also, idk about Duke's JD program, but Durham is amazing. And the Duke Forest is stunning.

I sympathize with the worry. I have a very strong suspicion I'm not going to like Chicago, but welp, that's where the money is.

Thanks, everyone!

I'm sure duke had an admit weekend and that it was before the deadline, I'm just broke so I had to wait to plan visits until it was just a couple of places that were very much in the running. I've been able to eliminate most of my options because they either can't give much money (looking at you, Berkeley) or because of equal or better offers from schools that are ranked higher/I think I'll like more. Of course, I still have 7 schools I haven't heard from but I might just have to write those ones off (besides Y and S, of course)

So now I have Duke with a deadline before NYU and H's admit weekends, which I'm planning to go to next-next weekend.

And I don't know much about Duke either! The people I know who went for undergrad loved it, though, and William Hoye is like the nicest guy ever. And it's a fabulous offer. And obviously they're returning some great job numbers. Guess all I can do is ask!

Gabriel_is_Satan

Bronze

Postby Gabriel_is_Satan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:05 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
Thanks, everyone!

I'm sure duke had an admit weekend and that it was before the deadline, I'm just broke so I had to wait to plan visits until it was just a couple of places that were very much in the running. I've been able to eliminate most of my options because they either can't give much money (looking at you, Berkeley) or because of equal or better offers from schools that are ranked higher/I think I'll like more. Of course, I still have 7 schools I haven't heard from but I might just have to write those ones off (besides Y and S, of course)

So now I have Duke with a deadline before NYU and H's admit weekends, which I'm planning to go to next-next weekend.

And I don't know much about Duke either! The people I know who went for undergrad loved it, though, and William Hoye is like the nicest guy ever. And it's a fabulous offer. And obviously they're returning some great job numbers. Guess all I can do is ask!

My advice: ask and explain the money constraint. Don't let them think you're late because lazy/don't care/entitled etc. You're doing your best on a shoestring budget, and you could really use a few more days to decide. Don't forget to thank them for your admission and the money they've offered you.

NotPanicking

New

Postby NotPanicking » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:08 pm

Gabriel_is_Satan wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Thanks, everyone!

My advice: ask and explain the money constraint. Don't let them think you're late because lazy/don't care/entitled etc. You're doing your best on a shoestring budget, and you could really use a few more days to decide. Don't forget to thank them for your admission and the money they've offered you.

^This. And best of luck!!!! :D

notsonotorious

Bronze

Postby notsonotorious » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Seriously considering withdrawing from Y and S to end this psychodrama. Is this how they figure out who really wants it? Is this a war of attrition?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?