Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

if waitlisted, are you going to stay on it?

yes, until the very end
45%
yes, but only until July (or something like that)
20%
no
22%
idk???
13%

Total votes: 83

pretzeltime

Gold

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:29 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:NYU and Y would be manageable.

You really only need to go to 1 out of 2 days for any of these ASW circuses, IMHO

So expensive to fly out from the west coast; might as well go to the whole thing!

I also read somewhere that either S or Y will up their subsidy amount if you get in super last minute and therefore have to buy pricier tix, so that may be a thing

Yeah might as well go to both days if you can, but I assumed NYU and Y overlapped by a day. IDK if that's the case

I think that's true, but I might skip NYU in favor of Y if I get in. Is that crazy? NYU gave me vanderbilt....
I guess I should cross that bridge if I actually get in :p

It's totally a personal decision based on a lot of factors, of course. But yeah, if it were me personally I would not put the cart before the horse. ha

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Postby HonestlyThough » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:35 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:

You really only need to go to 1 out of 2 days for any of these ASW circuses, IMHO

So expensive to fly out from the west coast; might as well go to the whole thing!

I also read somewhere that either S or Y will up their subsidy amount if you get in super last minute and therefore have to buy pricier tix, so that may be a thing

Yeah might as well go to both days if you can, but I assumed NYU and Y overlapped by a day. IDK if that's the case

I think that's true, but I might skip NYU in favor of Y if I get in. Is that crazy? NYU gave me vanderbilt....

It's totally a personal decision based on a lot of factors, of course. But yeah, if it were me personally I would not put the cart before the horse. ha

I think I might just be losing my marbles. Yesterday i was 100% sure I was rejected.

MrJD2020

Bronze

Postby MrJD2020 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:45 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
pretzeltime wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:

I think I might just be losing my marbles. Yesterday i was 100% sure I was rejected.

I am too. I was 100 percent ready to go to Columbia, then got waitlisted at Harvard last week, and now reading this thread has made me imagine that maybe just maybe I'll get into Y, which would be amazing.

Not being rejected yesterday didn't help either. Delusions of grandeur at this point.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:04 pm

I wonder what goes into getting to faculty review. Like, is it just being above both medians and not having a bad app?

raspberryo

New

Postby raspberryo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:05 pm

on updates - if I submitted a third recommendation long after completion (read: last minute), how much weight will it have? Asking this because it is supposed to be my strongest letter. Surviving yesterday's ding wave has def got my hopes up, my friends. how embarrasing
Last edited by raspberryo on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:10 pm

raspberryo wrote:on updates - if I submitted a third recommendation long after completion (read: last minute) , will it be considered? Asking this because it is supposed to be my strongest letter. Surviving yesterday's ding wave has def got my hopes up.

Likely not. Source: I emailed YLS Admissions asking a similar question.

It might go in your file if you end up on the waitlist, though.

raspberryo

New

Postby raspberryo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:11 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
raspberryo wrote:on updates - if I submitted a third recommendation long after completion (read: last minute) , will it be considered? Asking this because it is supposed to be my strongest letter. Surviving yesterday's ding wave has def got my hopes up.

Likely not. Source: I emailed YLS Admissions asking a similar question.

It might go in your file if you end up on the waitlist, though.

is it weird if this actually makes me feel better? thanks pal

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Postby KateMcKitten » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:13 pm

I'm considering submitting another LOR. In my mind I considered my mock trial coach to be an academic reference as he was someone I worked with closely in a co-curricular activity. In retrospect, I don't think Y will view him as one, leaving me with just one academic letter (aka the kiss of death according to Asha's blog.) I have plenty of professors I know and love who would write me letters, but I was trying to "diversify" my letters and (I think) shot myself in the foot in the process. Alas.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Postby HonestlyThough » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:16 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:

I'm considering submitting another LOR. In my mind I considered my mock trial coach to be an academic reference as he was someone I worked with closely in a co-curricular activity. In retrospect, I don't think Y will view him as one, leaving me with just one academic letter (aka the kiss of death according to Asha's blog.) I have plenty of professors I know and love who would write me letters, but I was trying to "diversify" my letters and (I think) shot myself in the foot in the process. Alas.

Is submitting 3 horrible? I sent 3 in the first place. Two academic and my current boss (prob my strongest letter)

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:21 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:

Is submitting 3 horrible? I sent 3 in the first place. Two academic and my current boss (prob my strongest letter)

Sending three isn't bad, but if one of them isn't as strong as the other two, it comes across as "meh."

Three academic refs is almost always preferable to two academic + something else, according to Asha's blog. Even strong letters from bosses. She stresses that a lot.

Based on everything I've read, at this point in the process, new letters probably won't be considered unless you end up on the waiting list, at which point they'll look at them if and when they start trying to fill slots for the incoming class.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Postby KateMcKitten » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:22 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:

Oh lol I can't submit any additional letters anyway as I sent 3 originally. NEVERMIND!

Mudori

New

Postby Mudori » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:25 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:

Sending extra materials now won't do you much good. YLS actively discourages students from sending updates. If and once you've been tossed to the sharks, you're judged on solely what you came in with. At this stage in the game... you're either in, tossed to the sharks... or i guess to the metaphorical dump.

On the letters thing... completely depends on the content of each letter. If all three say the same thing, you effectively have one message about you with resounding reinforcement. Your letters come across as redundant, but no harm no foul, and the idea is set in stone. On the other hand, if you have three letters, contributing three different good things, that's great. Heck, if you have four letters proclaiming four different things that are good, you're in a good place. What you seriously want to avoid is the situation where your letters are varied in their evaluations, one good, one lukewarm, etc, can really average and/or reduce the impact.

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Postby HonestlyThough » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:31 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:

Sending three isn't bad, but if one of them isn't as strong as the other two, it comes across as "meh."

Three academic refs is almost always preferable to two academic + something else, according to Asha's blog. Even strong letters from bosses. She stresses that a lot.

Based on everything I've read, at this point in the process, new letters probably won't be considered unless you end up on the waiting list, at which point they'll look at them if and when they start trying to fill slots for the incoming class.

I'd read that, but I'm still hoping I made the right call for my situation. I think my two academic letters were strong, but I did go to a large public school with large classes, so I know these people have to write lots of recs. I'm a few years out of school, and my boss and I work closely. My job is also somewhat academic in nature and involves research, writing, and a lot of judgment calls. My boss also graduated from Virginia for her JD. And I asked her to write the letter from an academic perspective. And she loves me. Blargh. Now you guys have me worried I still would have been better off sticking to the two academic letter commandment

Mudori

New

Postby Mudori » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:37 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:

I'd read that, but I'm still hoping I made the right call for my situation. I think my two academic letters were strong, but I did go to a large public school with large classes, so I know these people have to write lots of recs. I'm a few years out of school, and my boss and I work closely. My job is also somewhat academic in nature and involves research, writing, and a lot of judgment calls. My boss also graduated from Virginia for her JD. And I asked her to write the letter from an academic perspective. And she loves me. Blargh. Now you guys have me worried I still would have been better off sticking to the two academic letter commandment

You're fine. I wouldn't worry. Our discussion revolved around how effective your actions would be, not how harmful. At best, it might make its way through. At worst, no material impact.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:38 pm

Think we'll get another ding wave tonight?

heyitslj

New

Postby heyitslj » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:38 pm

Just got dinged 5 min ago.

FinerThingsClub

New

Postby FinerThingsClub » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Ding 2:37

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Postby HonestlyThough » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Mudori wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
seeprybyrun wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:

You're fine. I wouldn't worry. Our discussion revolved around how effective your actions would be, not how harmful. At best, it might make its way through. At worst, no material impact.

Oh! Don't worry. I'm not sending any more. That's our dearest Kitten's question. I was just wondering if sending 3 in the first place was stupid.

potterotter

Bronze

Postby potterotter » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:45 pm

---
Last edited by potterotter on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Postby ZVBXRPL » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Rejected via email

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Postby KateMcKitten » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:50 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
Mudori wrote:You're fine. I wouldn't worry. Our discussion revolved around how effective your actions would be, not how harmful. At best, it might make its way through. At worst, no material impact.

Oh! Don't worry. I'm not sending any more. That's our dearest Kitten's question. I was just wondering if sending 3 in the first place was stupid.

Thanks bae for looking out for me. I don't think I can send 4 (right?), they ask you not to send additional, and I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I spent too much time obsessing over my 250 and not enough time reading their website tips. I'll just be here with my cats and wine.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Postby seeprybyrun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:52 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Mudori wrote:You're fine. I wouldn't worry. Our discussion revolved around how effective your actions would be, not how harmful. At best, it might make its way through. At worst, no material impact.

Thanks bae for looking out for me. I don't think I can send 4 (right?), they ask you not to send additional, and I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I spent too much time obsessing over my 250 and not enough time reading their website tips. I'll just be here with my cats and wine.

/me doesn't object to cats and wine.

Pretty sure Asha wouldn't either :wink:

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Postby HonestlyThough » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:54 pm

seeprybyrun wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:

/me doesn't object to cats and wine.

Pretty sure Asha wouldn't either :wink:

I need cats and wine at work to be productive as these dings come trickling in

Whittie

Bronze

Postby Whittie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Alright Yale, hit me.

pretzeltime

Gold

Postby pretzeltime » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:56 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
I need cats and wine at work to be productive as these dings come trickling in

my two favorite things, maybe ever. wish i could have em at work.........

eta alcoholism isn't great so I'd skip the wine but I'd really appreciate an emotional support cat rn

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?